Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 23, 2012, 12:59:24 AM
Administrator

Default Type Representatives

Throughout the games, have you ever felt that certain types weren't represented enough? Or enough Pokémon that can learn certain moves?

Gen I seemed to have very few of certain types, especially Dragon (Dratini line). Ghost comes up close behind, and perhaps Fire. Also, Dragon Rage was the only Dragon attack, but it effectively made a whole row of the type chart unusable, as it always did/does a fixed amount of damage. However, these issues are something to be expected, as it was the first generation.

I didn't really start noticing the lack of certain types until Gen IV, when you only really get one non-legendary, non-starter (Chimchar) Fire type line until post-game: Ponyta.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 23, 2012 at 01:01:23 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:01:42 AM

I felt as though RSE didn't have enough Electric types, including the 4 Electric types introduced in Gen 3. Them being: Electrike, Manectric, Plusle, and Minun.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:21:46 AM

I always felt that 2nd gen didn't debut enough steel or dark types. Sure, there was umbreon, scizor, steelix, houndoom, skarmory...I don't know, I just felt that they could have added more though.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:33:32 AM
Rayquaza

Gen IV lacked fire types; that's given. And despite their abundance, there aren't as many useful Poison types. And Gen V lacks with cool or useful Flying types.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:01:07 AM
Giratina

Actually Cat, you can find Ponyta during the main game in D/P/Pt in a few different Routes. Maybe you just never found one while playing.

Personally, I don't think there are enough useful Dark types around. Sure, they're around, but they aren't abundant enough and the ones that are more commonly found aren't useful enough. Plus, they usually show up late in the games, so your team is already complete and you don't want to replace any member.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:42:42 AM
Landorus

Hm. Well, I suppose it's time for me to rant about ice types.

In Gen I, there were only a few Ice types: Dewgong, Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, and Articuno. Ice was only a secondary type to all but Articuno.
Gen 2 gave us Sneasel and Delibird, who were cool and all, but they weren't good at battling.
I feel Ice was only introduced as a primary type as late as Gen 3, where Glalie, Walrein, and Regice were introduced.
Gen 4 was Ice's hayday, giving us all sorts of great ice types such as Abomasnow, Froslass, Glaceon, Mamoswine, and Weavile. (Abomasnow's ability is the greatest thing to happen to ice types since Ice beam.)
Then, Gen 5 came, and within the Ice types is the most made-fun of and hated pokemon ever: Vannilish. Beartic was cool, though, and Cryogonal's Levitate, Blizzard, and surprisingly high speed Stat makes him a great pair with an Earthquake-using Abomasnow in double battles. What Gen 5 didn't put in, though, was an Ice type with a secondary type. (Other than Kyurem, but he isn't used anywhere.)

So, yeah. Ice is fairly average when it comes to representation, but it's going through some tough times.

Last edited by Idno58; November 23, 2012 at 06:42:51 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:49:21 AM
Celebi

In all games until Gen V, Ghost types were always scarce, and Idno inspired me to ramble about it.

Gen I had the Gastly line, and that's it. The part Poison type was OK, but without Levitate, ground types were annoying.

Gen II introduced the first pure Ghost type, but only one addition to the type overall, who was Misdreavous.

Gen III introduced 4 ghost types. Shuppet and Bannette aren't really great battlers, Sableye is an OK battler. Shedinja was a very unique Pokemon, with a strange evolution, HP stat, and ability.

Gen IV was were they decided they needed to get more Ghost Types. Half of the new ones were evolutions of previous Pokemon, however, and two were not that easy to get and only available once. (Rotom and Giratina)

Ok, ramble over.

Last edited by RotomGuy; November 23, 2012 at 07:50:22 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:57:58 AM
Servine

I feel like electric types and fire types need a lot more love. Same with poison types, and good ones. For electric types... they just need less Pikachu-like Pokemens. Be creative for once, gawsh.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:51:45 AM
Charizard

It's kind of strange how Bug types got more and more attention in Gens IV and V in terms of, well, stronger Pokemon.

Gens I-III didn't really have many to behold, mostly Pokemon like Butterfree or Ariados, found early into the game, and didn't really have much to note about them. Gen III, while it did introduce new ones such as Dustox and Shedinja, it fell into the exact same boat. Few, if only Shedinja for it's Wonder Guard ability, were good Pokemon. Then, Gen IV came around. At first, beginning of the game, you have Pokemon such as Wurmple and Kricketot, nothing much to behold, same as usual--but what's this? New Pokemon? Burmy and Combee, usually found in Honey Trees with the likes of Heracross and if lucky, Munchlax. Now, Burmy is actually unique of the fact that is has the ability to change into different cloaks. Leaf, Sand, and Trash, composed of Grass, Ground, and Steel-types, respectively, and the current cloak becomes permanant when it evolves into Wormadam if the Burmy is female. If it's a male, it evolves into a Mothim and it loses its cloak in favor for becoming part-Flying. Combee, however, is a little different. Male Combees aren't much to behold, but the females have a deadly secret lying under their exoskeleton. They can evolve into the Bug-Poison Pokemon, Vespiquen, and it's apparently a very nasty Pokemon that can control OTHER Combees at the flick of a stylus with moves such as Attack or Healing Order. And finally, we have Skorupi, whom is a Bug-Poison type, however, I don't nessecarily consider it a true Bug-Type because it loses the typing once it evolves into Drapion, sacrificing it's Bug-Type for a Dark-Type. Poison, however, is retained.

Now, that's pretty cool. Not much, but cool. If you're playing Diamond and Pearl, anyway. If you're playing Platinum, however, there is one Pokemon in importance that was added to the Sinnoh Dex -- Yanma, added to Pastoria City's Safari Zone along with Pokemon such as Tangela or Tropius -- and it's got a new way to fight. In addition to Speed Boost, it's ability with does just as it says it does, there's a new move it can learn: AncientPower, a Rock-Type move...There are three Pokemon in this Generation that can learn this move that get a different kind of benefit from it -- Tangela, Piloswine, and especially Yanma. Pokemon that didn't have much to behold at first, but now...they evolve into powerful Pokemon, in this case, in order: Tangrowth, Mamoswine, and Yanmega. It's amazing how a Bug-Type, let alone one originating in Johto, managed to get a beef-up such as this.

And now, Gen V is finally out, and we've gotten more Bug-Types than ever before. We have Venepede and Sewaddle. One will evolve into a Curled-up Centipede the size of a Floatzel, then to an even bigger size than that, along with having a nasty moveset behind it, such as Megahorn or Poison Tail. Sewaddle may seem like one and the same, a caterpillar just like Wurmple and Caterpie, but instead of going the butterlfly route, it seems as though it takes more to the silkworm or mantis route, though I haven't quite raised one myself to be certain. A little latter, we see Dwebble, a Bug-Rock type, mostly based upon the likes of a hermit crab. Of course, Cilan had caught one in the Anime that evolves into Crustle, the Rock Inn Pokemon, where it...just grows bigger. Well, as I said with Sewaddle, I haven't had a chance to raise one as of yet, so I can't offer any real intel on it. Finally, there are Larvesta and Volcarona, Bug-Types that can be found in special events during the game. Larvesta can be found as an Egg at Route 18, and is a Bug-Fire type. Also the size of a Floatzel, it apparently takes the second-longest time to evolve the entire way, evolving at Level 59. The highest is Hydreigon, at Level 64. But for those that are too impatient to raise one, there is a Volcarona in the Relic Castle that can be accessed from the Desert Resort, searching in the maze of the ruins, at Level 70. Be wary when you're trying to catch it, however, because if you're underleveled, you're going to have a REALLY hard time unless you have a lot of Net Balls.

I know I haven't accounted for ALL the Bug Types among the game, but I still prove my point.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:00:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Actually Cat, you can find Ponyta during the main game in D/P/Pt in a few different Routes. Maybe you just never found one while playing.
Read only the bolded words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I didn't really start noticing the lack of certain types until Gen IV, when you only really get one non-legendary, non-starter (Chimchar) Fire type line until post-game: Ponyta.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:06:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Read only the bolded words:
I misread that completely. I read that as "The only non-legendary, non-starter fire type you can get is in post-game: Ponyta."

Shows you how much I know about English.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:16:04 AM
Servine

Loghain, you're forgetting one of the best bug types ever; Scizor.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:35:06 AM
Kyurem

For some reason I kept forgetting that Rock types exist in the first place. I wonder why...

Also, a Grass type not crippled by poor type coverage... I don't think I've seem one coupled with efficiency.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:49:17 AM
Administrator

Most Rock types were part Ground during Gen I. I think the fossils were the only Rock types that weren't part Ground. On the other hand, we've only seen three Pokémon since with Rock/Ground typing, and one is an evolution of the aforementioned Gen I Pokémon (Rhyperior). The other two are Pupitar and Larvitar.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:15:57 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolette View Post
Loghain, you're forgetting one of the best bug types ever; Scizor.
Yeah, well he was created when I had no real way to trade between myself. So I'm discounting him for now.

...Him, Pinsir and Heracross.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:30:36 PM
Giratina

I would have to say the Fire type in Pokémon. Not counting starters, legends, or Arceus, they started out strong and then slowly started to diminish. Gen IV only had 1 fire type addition, and that was an evolution to a Gen II Pokémon.

In moves, I would have to say the Ice or Poison type. They only have a small list of attacking moves, just a little over 5. All the status moves for Ice affect your stats, and all those for Poison just usually, well, poison you.

Quote:
Well actually, Ponyta (Maybe Rapidash too) could be found on the Route above Solaceon. Also in 4th Gen, you have Houndour on the Route below Veilstone, and Magmar outside of Fuego Ironworks because of Magmortar. For the postgame, you can find Numel and Magcargo.
Old November 25, 2012, 05:05:22 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Well actually, Ponyta (Maybe Rapidash too) could be found on the Route above Solaceon. Also in 4th Gen, you have Houndour on the Route below Veilstone, and Magmar outside of Fuego Ironworks because of Magmortar. For the postgame, you can find Numel and Magcargo.
We've already been over this, dang it. You misread it the same way I did.