Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White 2 > Competitive Battling
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Competitive Battling Locked due to the shutdown of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Search this Thread
Old April 5, 2010, 03:23:17 PM
Giratina

Default EV/IV Training Discussion Thread

Welcome to the EV/IV Training Discussion Thread where you can ask questions on EVs or IVs. This thread was started by me when I had a question on EVs and evolved from that.

In general, IVs or Individual Values are a use for competitive battling and range from 0 to 31. They are stats that Pokemon randomly have when caught. The higher the number, the better. They can be manipulated and changed via breeding for natures and using the HG/SS Power Item method. They can be calculated.

EVs or Effort Values are semi-invisible and the number of EVs can only be identified if you count them from the beginning. Basically, every Pokemon you faint in the wild or in battle will grant EVs, and upon level-up those EVs take place and boost stats. They affect how strong Pokemon are as well, but can be modified and tweaked to your liking. If your Pokemon only uses Physical moves, the special attack EV is useless, and instead should be distributed among other stats. Protein, Carbos, HP UP, etc. will raise them, while Tamato Berries, Kelpsey Berries, etc. will lower them. It tells you which stat in the item's description. PokeRus can also double EVs.

LiteTheIronMan's List Of Pokemon To EV Train Specific Stats On In HG/SS and B/W    
HP: Due to pollution, the water in Celadon City is full of Grimer, which give out HP EVs. Don't fight Muk, as they have other EVs to distribute and may put your training out of sync.

Attack: Sentret give good Attack EVs, so head to New Bark or Pallet and look around.

Defense: Metapod and Kakuna both give out 2 Defense EVs instead of one, so keep a watch out for them in places like Ilex Forest, or other areas where Bug types cumulate. If you're having trouble finding them, the more common Geodude can be found in most cave areas (assuming you don't run into Zubat or other Pokemon along the way.)

Special Attack: The lake in Ilex Forest will give you Psyduck and Golduck. Golduck give you two EV points of SpAtk instead of one, so this is a good way to speed up the process.

Special Defense: In case you haven't noticed, there's tons of Drowzee hanging around Route 34. They give out good Special Defense EVs. Also, whenever you surf over water routes, keep an eye out for the Tentacool family. They also give out Sp. Def EVs, and Tentacruel gives out 2 instead of 1.

Speed: Use the Old Rod anywhere. Magikarp give out Speed EVs. The Pidgey and Rattata family are also good ways to earn Speed EVs. Poliwag and Poliwhirl near Mt. Silver can also be grinded on in a similar way to the Psyduck family. Poliwhirl will distribute 2 Speed EVs.

I'll contribute more to this post later when I find more spots.

Palpitoad- HP (2 points)
Patrat, Lillipup, Pidove- Attack (1 point each)
Roggenrola, Durant- Defense (Roggenrola 1, Durant 2)
Purrloin- Speed (1)
Litwick- Sp. Atk (1)
Gothita (Black Only!), Frillish- Sp.Def (1)

Quadcentruo's List Of Common Pokemon Who Give Certain EVs    
Rattata - 1 speed
Raticate - 2 speed
Voltorb - 1 speed
Electrode - 2 speed
Zubat - 1 speed
Gobalt - 2 speed
Spearow - 1 speed
Fearow - 2 speed
Diglett - 1 speed
Dugtrio - 2 speed
Electabuzz - 2 speed
Pidgey - 1 Speed
Pidgeotto - 2 Speed
Weedle - 1 Speed
Meowth - 1 Speed
Magikarp - 1 Speed

Grimer - 1 Hp
Jigglypuff - 2 Hp
Clefairy - 2 Hp

Shellder - 1 Defense
Cloyster - 2 Defense
Koffing - 1 Defense
Weezing - 2 Defense
Geodude - 1 Defense
Gravler - 2 Defense
Ryhorn - 1 Defense
Steelix - 2 Defense
Onyx - 1 Defense
Kakuna - 2 Defense

Gastly - 1 Sp. Attack
Haunter - 2 Sp. Attack
Magmar - 2 Sp. attack
Magnemite - 1 Sp. Attack
Magneton - 2 Sp. Attack

Machop - 1 Attack
Machoke - 2 Attack
Ekans - 1 Attack
Arbok - 2 Attack
Paras - 1 Attack
Rhydon - 2 Attack
Primape - 2 attack
Mankey - 1 Attack
Sentret - 1 Attack

Tentacool - 1 Sp. Defense
Tentacreul - 2 Sp. Defense

Ningamer's Post On HG Hotspots    
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Could I share my favourite HG/SS hotspots here?

HP: Go down to Slowpoke Well and surf on the first patch of water you see. You'll only find Slowpoke, which'll dish out 1 HP EV each.

Atk: Head to Mahogany Town and go west, towards Mt. Mortar. Surf again, on the water in front of the cave. There you'll find Goldeen and Seaking, giving out 1 or 2 Atk EVs respectively.

Def: Go over to Pallet Town and surf just past the fence. The patch of grass there is home to Tangela, who give out one Def EV each. However, every so often (Though they're pretty rare) you'll come across a Mr. Mime, so make sure you run from those.

SpA: Like Quad said, surfing in Ilex Forest is the place to go.

SpD: Find yourself almost any patch of water (The water between Olivine and Cianwood is probably the best). Surf on it. Tentacools will give you 1 SpD EV each, and Tentacruel will give you 2.

Spe: I have two places for this, but one's really for higher-levelled. The first is Diglett Cave, where you'll find Diglett and Dugtrio (Duh). Diglett give out 1 Spe EV, while Dugtrio give out 2. Watch out though, because they might have Arena Trap, stopping you from switching out. I only recommend this place for higher-levelled Pokémon or Flying-types.

The second Speed training spot is a great one. Head on over to the Power Plant in Kanto. The grass outside that is home to Spearow (1 Spe EV), Voltorb (1 Spe EV), Raticate (2 Spe EVs), Fearow (2 Spe EVs), and Electabuzz (2 Spe EVs). However, if you go training there at night you'll come across Quagsire frequently, which give out HP EVs rather than Speed.

And that's what I've got! Good luck!

Thanks a lot to FreezeWarp and LiteTheIronMan for giving brief explanations on EVs and IVs, and more thanks to Lite for the spoiler that shows good EV Training locations. ^_^ Also, thanks to Quadcentro for the 2nd spoiler above and to Ningamer for spoiler #3.

I'll update this post if anything comes up.

Last edited by SK; April 14, 2011 at 07:24:41 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:34:09 PM

Well, I bet that other places could explain it better than me, but here it goes. The Pokémon's highest stat determines the type of EV given. I do believe the stage of it determines how many EVs it gives. You can only stack up to 255 EVs in one stat, and can only have a total of 510, resulting in either a combination of 3 or more stats, or two maxed. EXP shares do transfer EVs, but I wouldn't recommend that. The Power items that you can get from the Battle Frontier increase EVs given by 4, and Pokérus doubles the amount given. So, for example, you have your Weedle with the Pokérus and the Power Weight, the item for Speed EVs. You can get 10 EVs off of a Pokémon that would normally yield one.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:39:14 PM
Giratina

Thanks, I'll try to decipher that later.
Old April 5, 2010, 04:33:53 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I've also starting to learn how to EV train recently. Yes, items such as the EXP share do work. The effort point is given to the original Pokemon AND the one holding the item. So if you KO a Pokemon that gives out 2 effort points for speed, the original Pokemon and the one holding the EXP share will both get 2 effort points each.

Serebii also has lots of information on EV training, including what Pokemon give out what value and how many points.

Last edited by Yoshi648; April 5, 2010 at 04:34:07 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 04:52:49 PM
Giratina

^ Thanks again.

Anyone know where I can go to do some Speed EV training? I don't think Serebii had where to train for EVs on HG/SS.

Last edited by SK; April 5, 2010 at 04:53:21 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:18:51 PM

Grinding on Pidgey family and Rattata family would work. Pidgey and Rattata both give one, and Pidgeotto and Raticate both give two. That should do, right?
Old April 5, 2010, 06:13:48 PM
Giratina

Yeah, that should work especially for the low levels.

I currently have a Lv. 1 Weedle and I'm going to get my Power Anklet once I finish this Battle Arcade run and get 2 BP.

Then I'll go to Route 1 and train, probably. I also plan to train on Poliwag/Poliwhirl near Mt. Silver since Poliwhirl appears 92% when you Surf there and he gives you 2 Speed EVs.

This is working out nicely! <3
Old April 5, 2010, 06:38:09 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
^ Thanks again.

Anyone know where I can go to do some Speed EV training? I don't think Serebii had where to train for EVs on HG/SS.
If your playing Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, go to the route east of Jubilife and fish for Magikarp with the Old Rod. 100 percent encounter rate is always nice.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:40:43 PM
Giratina

Magikarp give speed EVs?

I have HG, though..
Old April 5, 2010, 06:57:57 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Magikarp give speed EVs?

I have HG, though..
Well then fish for Magikarp in that too! He is wherever you can use an old rod! ^_^ Plus all he can do is Splash...
Old April 5, 2010, 07:38:01 PM
Volcarona

Steps to EV training:

1.Design- Find out what moves you want, the base stats, and how you can base your stats on these.

2.Breed- For the IVs, nature abilities, etc.

3.Pre EV Train- Give your pokemon pokerus by placing him directly after your "Spreader" pokemon, and fighting a couple battles. Then, go and buy (assuming you are filthy rich!) 1-10 of each EV gaining vitamin that you will be training with. Use them all on your new poke.

4.Calculate and Battle- Based on the following:
510 EVs total.
255 EVs per Stat, but you only want 252.
You already have: 10* <Vitamin used> Evs in said stats.
Pokerus double EV gain, from power items and natural EVs, but not vitamins.
Power items add 4 EVs to each battle, or 8 w/ pokerus.

So, take your spread that you came up with, and do a little math, subtract what you already have from the total you will need, and then divide that by what you will receive. In other words:

(Total needed-10*#of vitamins)/((Evs from poke+Power item?)*2 if pokerus) = number of battles needed, remainder will be the number of EVs needed after you remove your power items. Once satisfied with your math, go out and fight whatever you need too. (If fighting a poke that yields the min. 1 EV normally, each battle yields 10 EVs this way! This means if vitamins are used, only 30 battles are necessary.)

5.Check it. Go to sunnyshore/wherever it is in HG/SS that gives you an effort ribbon. If you got it, Perfect, if not, then go check yourself. If your EV spread isn't perfect, it isn't the end of the world. It just means that, at most, you will lack one stat point at lvl 100.

Side notes-
Although you can use EXP share, don't. Power items are too necessary.

If you don't have the power items, I'm free to help you with that- Email me- s3r3nad3@yahoo.com and we can take on the battle facility of your choice for BP.- If you think it will take forever, then your wrong. It yields at least 7-8 per round, and each power item is only 16 BP, if you have fun, you will be swimming in BP before you know it.

If you don't know what pokerus is- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerus

If your wondering why you need all the stuff before... well, would you rather fight 16 specific pokemon, or 510????

If you need to know what to fight, look it up on bulbapedia, or serebii, they have wonderfull charts.

I usually attach a different power item to my pokemon than the EV that my poke is getting from the wild pokemon- That way, I don't have to find another set of wild pokemon to fight.

Last edited by Serenade; April 20, 2010 at 09:43:03 PM.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:00:05 AM
Rayquaza

I suggest you check the game mechanics of Serebii and the articles of smogon. There, I knew everything about competitive battling and became very advanced in it.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:27:27 AM
Giratina

Tip: You can 'delete' some EVs that your Pokémon accidentally got using some special berries. Here's a list of those berries and which EVs they 'delete':

Pomeg Berry - HP
Kelpsy Berry - Attack
Qualot Berry - Defense
Hondew Berry - Sp. Attack
Grepa Berry - Sp. Defense
Tamato Berry - Speed

If your Pokémon has less than 110 EVs, then when you use one of those berries, the corresponding stat's EVs are reduced by 10 only.

However, if your Pokémon has more than 110 EVs, then when you use one of those berries for the first time, the corresponding stat's EVs will immediately be reduced to 100. Then, when you use another one, the EVs will be reduced by 10.

So, in conclusion, you need 11 berries to clear away any EVs in any stat completely.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:20:58 PM
Giratina

Uhm, well, so far I have a Lv. 6 Weedle, holding a Power Anklet for Speed. I'm training on Route 1 which gives me a 75% chance for 1 Speed EV from Pidgey or Ratatta, a 5% change for 2 Speed EVs from Furret, and a 20% chance for an (Attack?) Ev from Sentret.

Shadow, I think I'm going to try to get some Defense EVs after Speed, so that should help. :u

Serenade, I know of Pokerus but I don't have a Pokemon with it. Wanna hook me up with one? :3
Old April 6, 2010, 12:27:53 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Uhm, well, so far I have a Lv. 6 Weedle, holding a Power Anklet for Speed. I'm training on Route 1 which gives me a 75% chance for 1 Speed EV from Pidgey or Ratatta, a 5% change for 2 Speed EVs from Furret, and a 20% chance for an (Attack?) Ev from Sentret.

Shadow, I think I'm going to try to get some Defense EVs after Speed, so that should help. :u

Serenade, I know of Pokerus but I don't have a Pokemon with it. Wanna hook me up with one? :3
Don't bother getting Defense EVs for Weedle. When EV training, always play to a Pokemon's strengths. Beedrill has bad Defense normally, so don't both giving it some more. This is why, for example, if training an Alakazam, you would EV it only in Speed and Special Attack, because those are the stats it needs to get the job done.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:29:59 PM
Giratina

You don't know what job my Beedrill needs to do, though.. :3

Maybe I can EV train it for HP?
Old April 6, 2010, 08:36:37 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
You don't know what job my Beedrill needs to do, though.. :3

Maybe I can EV train it for HP?
HINT: Don't try to train a pokemon against its base stats, it doesn't work.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:44:27 PM
Keldeo

What serenade said.
It would be much better to invest EVs in stats it could make better use of. Attack and speed in this case~! =w=
Old April 7, 2010, 12:14:57 PM
Giratina

Umm so... I'll just do Speed?

How do I know when one stat is maxed in EVs?

Also, I'm pretty sure it already has over 100 Speed EVs, because I tried to use an Iron (or whichever one boosts Speed) on my Lv. 10 Beedrill and it had no effect.

It's really slow, especially with Magikarp. But I should get some good stat gains.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:40:04 PM
Giratina

Quote:
How do I know when one stat is maxed in EVs?
You have to count them from the start of training...

Well, I'm off to EV train my aerodactyl!
See you guys when my life is over!

Last edited by Quadcentruo; April 7, 2010 at 12:40:19 PM.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:59:02 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
You have to count them from the start of training...
Uh-oh.. I didn't. ._.

I'll just start at 100? xD
Old April 7, 2010, 01:07:35 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I'll just start at 100? xD
Ok?

TIP:
next time you EV train, pull out notepad on your computer and use that to count.
Just replace the current number of EV's with an added 1,4, or 8 ev's (depending on what the conditions are)
Old April 7, 2010, 01:16:37 PM
Giratina

Power Anklet gives 4 EVs upon level up right?

Or, per battle..
Old April 7, 2010, 01:59:59 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Power Anklet gives 4 EVs upon level up right?

Or, per battle..
Power anything gives 4 EV's of that type (so power anklet gives 4 speed) per battle.
Old April 7, 2010, 04:03:01 PM
Giratina

PER BATTLE!?! I must have at least 200 Speed EVs.
Old April 7, 2010, 08:16:11 PM
Giratina

Quote:
PER BATTLE!?! I must have at least 200 Speed EVs.
Congrats.

Now i just need Power specs and power anklet for a Gengar...
But first i have to catch a gastly.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:22:00 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Steps to EV training:

1.Design- Find out what moves you want, the base stats, and how you can base your stats on these.

2.Breed- For the IVs, nature abilities, etc.

3.Pre EV Train- Give your pokemon pokerus by placing him directly after your "Spreader" pokemon, and fighting a couple battles. Then, go and buy (assuming you are filthy rich!) 1-10 of each EV gaining vitamin that you will be training with. Use them all on your new poke.

4.Calculate and Battle- Based on the following:
510 EVs total.
255 EVs per Stat, but you only want 252.
You already have: 10* <Vitamin used> Evs in said stats.
Pokerus double EV gain, from power items and natural EVs, but not vitamins.
Power items add 4 EVs to each battle, or 8 w/ pokerus.

So, take your spread that you came up with, and do a little math, subtract what you already have from the total you will need, and then divide that by what you will receive. In other words:

(Total needed-10*#of vitamins)/((Evs from poke+Power item?)*2 if pokerus) = number of battles needed, remainder will be the number of EVs needed after you remove your power items. Once satisfied with your math, go out and fight whatever you need too. (If fighting a poke that yields the min. 1 EV normally, each battle yields 10 EVs this way! This means if vitamins are used, only 30 battles are necessary.)

5.Check it. Go to sunnyshore/wherever it is in HG/SS that gives you an effort ribbon. If you got it, Perfect, if not, then go check yourself. If your EV spread isn't perfect, it isn't the end of the world. It just means that, at most, you will lack one stat point at lvl 100.

Side notes-
Although you can use EXP share, don't. Power items are too necessary.

If you don't have the power items, I'm free to help you with that- Find me on the VRC and we can take on the battle facility of your choice for BP.- If you think it will take forever, then your wrong. It yields at least 7-8 per round, and each power item is only 16 BP, if you have fun, you will be swimming in BP before you know it.

If you don't know what pokerus is- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerus

If your wondering why you need all the stuff before... well, would you rather fight 16 specific pokemon, or 510????

If you need to know what to fight, look it up on bulbapedia, or serebii, they have wonderfull charts.

I usually attach a different power item to my pokemon than the EV that my poke is getting from the wild pokemon- That way, I don't have to find another set of wild pokemon to fight.
Read it again. I put as much as you really need to know about the actual EV'ing process. If you need pokerus, I should feel obliged to trade you some for free. All you have to do is ask.

Last edited by Serenade; April 7, 2010 at 09:23:28 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:42:19 AM
Shaymin

Okay, here. The basic gist of Serenade's post was that you can max your EV's out at 510, so you can split that into two and get 255. So two stats max out at 255. With PokeRus and a Power Item, it reduces 255 down signlficantly. So instead of fighting 255 Magikarp for Speed, you only need to fight 26 with a PokeRus'd Pokemon equipped with a Power Anklet. Rinse repeat for other stats.

The only thing that I find tedious about EV'ing is waiting for said Pokemon to show up.

Oh, and using steroids such as Carbos and the like would reduce 26 to 16, if you use a total of ten steroids on one stat.. (If I did my math right. Correct me someone.)

As for the breeding aspect, it's been made so much easier in HGSS. If one of the parents is holding a Power Item, they will pass down IVs for that stat. And you can easily determine what stats your Pokemon's nature will boost/lower by looking at the color of stats.

Let's look at this example.

Pokemon

HP
Atk
Def
Sp. Atk
Sp. Def
Speed

See how one stat is highlighted in red, while another is blue? That's Game Freak's little way of helping people determine what natures boost what stats. In this case, the Pokemon's nature helps boost Attack (Red highlights what is boosted) and lowers the Pokemon's Defense (Blue denotes whatever is lowered).

There. I know I restated some things other people have said, just trying to see if I can shed a little bit more light onto the subject. And I added my own little schtick too. Hopefully this helps.

Damn, now looking back at my post, even I could get started on EV'ing a new team...

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 8, 2010 at 04:13:04 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:31:53 PM
Kyurem

Another bit of advice, try to conecntrate on what your doing while EV'ing. If you aren't sure whethere you just beat something or not, don't count anything. It's better to have to kill one more Pokemon than to not have sufficient EV's.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:02:57 PM
Keldeo

Yea you have to be VEEERY focused to EV train. Well if you use pokeradar like me that is. Chaining with the pokeradar is really helpful if you use the EXP SHARE method like me~! =w=
Old April 8, 2010, 07:01:37 PM
Kyurem

...but if you use the regular method of walking into tall grass, it is even harder, because your Poketch does not measure your "streak" of Pokemon that you have killed, so if you think you have messed up it's harder to reset your numbers.

Oh, and also make absolut SURE you have Pokerus, it makes things SO much easier. Power Item + Pokerus means that you'll get 10 EVs from every Pokemon that gives out 1 effort value! :O
Old April 9, 2010, 10:40:55 AM
Rayquaza

SK, did you check Serebii and Smogon? Do I give you the links? Seriously, Ev training isn't just some battling you know... You also need to see the benefitial natures, the difference between physical and special moves, and so on. I reassure you to check these two sites and read them thoroughly. I f you want any help in navigatting them then PM me. I mean it as I am talking from experience; these two sites are good enough to teach you as they taught everyone of us.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:59:47 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
SK, did you check Serebii and Smogon? Do I give you the links? Seriously, Ev training isn't just some battling you know... You also need to see the benefitial natures, the difference between physical and special moves, and so on. I reassure you to check these two sites and read them thoroughly. I f you want any help in navigatting them then PM me. I mean it as I am talking from experience; these two sites are good enough to teach you as they taught everyone of us.
This is very true. I was not great at getting the most out of Pokemon until I slowly began checking Serebii and Smogon. Eventually, I got the right ideas in my head and knew how to really use Pokemon. I have also since come up with many unique movesets that I have tested using knowledge from competitivr battling!
Old April 9, 2010, 12:25:41 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Okay, here. The basic gist of Serenade's post was that you can max your EV's out at 510, so you can split that into two and get 255. So two stats max out at 255. With PokeRus and a Power Item, it reduces 255 down signlficantly. So instead of fighting 255 Magikarp for Speed, you only need to fight 26 with a PokeRus'd Pokemon equipped with a Power Anklet. Rinse repeat for other stats.

The only thing that I find tedious about EV'ing is waiting for said Pokemon to show up.

Oh, and using steroids such as Carbos and the like would reduce 26 to 16, if you use a total of ten steroids on one stat.. (If I did my math right. Correct me someone.)

As for the breeding aspect, it's been made so much easier in HGSS. If one of the parents is holding a Power Item, they will pass down IVs for that stat. And you can easily determine what stats your Pokemon's nature will boost/lower by looking at the color of stats.

Let's look at this example.

Pokemon

HP
Atk
Def
Sp. Atk
Sp. Def
Speed

See how one stat is highlighted in red, while another is blue? That's Game Freak's little way of helping people determine what natures boost what stats. In this case, the Pokemon's nature helps boost Attack (Red highlights what is boosted) and lowers the Pokemon's Defense (Blue denotes whatever is lowered).

There. I know I restated some things other people have said, just trying to see if I can shed a little bit more light onto the subject. And I added my own little schtick too. Hopefully this helps.

Damn, now looking back at my post, even I could get started on EV'ing a new team...
Very helpful, that was. <3 And yes, I have actually noticed the highlighted stats before even though they are a little hard to see. Now I know what they are. :3

So, maybe I should get another Weedle with good IVs and a good Nature, then EV it train for Speed after giving it 10 steroids?

I dunno what IVs are exactly, but I'll figure it out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
SK, did you check Serebii and Smogon? Do I give you the links? Seriously, Ev training isn't just some battling you know... You also need to see the benefitial natures, the difference between physical and special moves, and so on. I reassure you to check these two sites and read them thoroughly. If you want any help in navigatting them then PM me. I mean it as I am talking from experience; these two sites are good enough to teach you as they taught everyone of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
This is very true. I was not great at getting the most out of Pokemon until I slowly began checking Serebii and Smogon. Eventually, I got the right ideas in my head and knew how to really use Pokemon. I have also since come up with many unique movesets that I have tested using knowledge from competitivr battling!
I'm taking it slow right now, it's my first time trying to EV. But, I plan to read more this weekend.
Old April 10, 2010, 05:42:26 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
I dunno what IVs are exactly, but I'll figure it out soon.
IVs, range from 1-31 on stat of every pokemon, they cannot be changed once the are attained, but can be bred to improve, and passed down. The only place you see perfect IV pokemon is on battle tower, and in the pokemon leagues.

Each IV raises its particular stat by 1 point at 100, therefore, every 100/<had IVs> your stat will rise one time, 31 IVs, means that every 3.4 or so levels, you get an addition stat from the IVS, 31 times.

IVs are also used in a few other areas, namely spinda's spots, unown's formes, and mirage island.

Last edited by Serenade; April 10, 2010 at 05:44:04 AM.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:56:53 AM
Giratina

SK: Keep in mind that IVs are harder to control and determine than EVs, so it is very difficult to get the perfect IVs that you want. This explains why some people ignore them completely, or accept Pokémon with mediocre IVs. I, for one, use any Pokémon which has acceptable IVs.
(A useful way of seeing the difference in IVs between similar Pokémon is to start a level 100 'IV battle' with someone. It's not really a battle; you just check out the stats of your Pokémon and then use an IV generator to see which one has the better IVs. Alternatively, you can just take the Pokémon with the better-looking stats without finding out their IVs. After using either way, you simply quit the battle.)

Quote:
I was not great at getting the most out of Pokemon until I slowly began checking Serebii and Smogon. Eventually, I got the right ideas in my head and knew how to really use Pokemon.
Perfectly describes what happened with me.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:54:48 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
SK: Keep in mind that IVs are harder to control and determine than EVs, so it is very difficult to get the perfect IVs that you want. This explains why some people ignore them completely, or accept Pokémon with mediocre IVs. I, for one, use any Pokémon which has acceptable IVs.
(A useful way of seeing the difference in IVs between similar Pokémon is to start a level 100 'IV battle' with someone. It's not really a battle; you just check out the stats of your Pokémon and then use an IV generator to see which one has the better IVs. Alternatively, you can just take the Pokémon with the better-looking stats without finding out their IVs. After using either way, you simply quit the battle.)

Yes. I hardly manage my Pokemon's IVs, although recently I have been checking their natures.

If you're wondering what they stand for, IV is short for Individual Value, named so because they differ from Pokemon to Pokemon. It's why wild Pokemon belonging in the same species and sharing the same natures may still have slightly different IVs.

Oh, by the way, guys, if anyone begins EV training in Johto now that HGSS is out, I've been doing so myself and compiling a list of good places to EV train.

So far, I've got the following down:

HP: Due to pollution, the water in Celadon City is full of Grimer, which give out HP EVs. Don't fight Muk, as they have other EVs to distribute and may put your training out of sync.

Attack: Sentret give good Attack EVs, so head to New Bark or Pallet and look around.

Defense: Metapod and Kakuna both give out 2 Defense EVs instead of one, so keep a watch out for them in places like Ilex Forest, or other areas where Bug types cumulate. If you're having trouble finding them, the more common Geodude can be found in most cave areas (assuming you don't run into Zubat or other Pokemon along the way.)

Special Attack: The lake in Ilex Forest will give you Psyduck and Golduck. Golduck give you two EV points of SpAtk instead of one, so this is a good way to speed up the process.

Special Defense: In case you haven't noticed, there's tons of Drowzee hanging around Route 34. They give out good Special Defense EVs. Also, whenever you surf over water routes, keep an eye out for the Tentacool family. They also give out Sp. Def EVs, and Tentacruel gives out 2 instead of 1.

Speed: Use the Old Rod anywhere. Magikarp give out Speed EVs. The Pidgey and Rattata family are also good ways to earn Speed EVs. Poliwag and Poliwhirl near Mt. Silver can also be grinded on in a similar way to the Psyduck family. Poliwhirl will distribute 2 Speed EVs.

I'll contribute more to this post later when I find more spots.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 11, 2010 at 02:05:13 PM. Reason: There aren't many good Attack spots. I'll keep looking.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:00:50 PM
Giratina

Lols, at least I already knew what IV stood for. Beast, right? :u

Lite, thanks a lot for those locations. <3 By the way, Poliwag/Poliwhirl near Mt. Silver are also good for Speed since the occasional Poliwhirl will appear and give 2 Speed EVs. They're Lv. 35ish so they give better experience if you need it.

Also, I currently have a Weedle with a good nature. Not sure which one, but it increases Speed ad decreases.. Something that's not Attack. :3 I'm gonna give it PokeRus soon, but I had a question. Let's say my PokeRus'd Weedle beats a Magikarp while holding a Power Anklet. Does it get 6 EVs (Double, then add Power item) or 10 EVs (Add Power item, then double)?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter option, just making sure. Only doing 16 battles would be quite convenient.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:03:14 PM

It would get ten EVs
Old April 11, 2010, 02:03:59 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Lols, at least I already knew what IV stood for. Beast, right? :u

Lite, thanks a lot for those locations. <3 By the way, Poliwag/Poliwhirl near Mt. Silver are also good for Speed since the occasional Poliwhirl will appear and give 2 Speed EVs. They're Lv. 35ish so they give better experience if you need it.

Also, I currently have a Weedle with a good nature. Not sure which one, but it increases Speed ad decreases.. Something that's not Attack. :3 I'm gonna give it PokeRus soon, but I had a question. Let's say my PokeRus'd Weedle beats a Magikarp while holding a Power Anklet. Does it get 6 EVs (Double, then add Power item) or 10 EVs (Add Power item, then double)?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter option, just making sure. Only doing 16 battles would be quite convenient.
PokeRus adds four (1 + 4 = 5) then is multiplied by 2 by the item (5 x 2 = 10).

Thanks, I'll add the Poliwag thing to the locations.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:05:41 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Let's say my PokeRus'd Weedle beats a Magikarp while holding a Power Anklet. Does it get 6 EVs (Double, then add Power item) or 10 EVs (Add Power item, then double)?
It would get 10 EV's.

Also, if you need any help on training any Pokemon, you just gotta give me a shout.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:07:42 PM
Giratina

Lol guys, thanks. xD

Posting it in the chat must work.. Hehe. ._.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:29:00 PM
Kyurem

Someone please answer this! I have Pokerus, a Power Bracer, and am fighting Machops that give out 1 Atk EV. I get 10 EVs, right?

So I only have to kill 25 or so Machops?
Old April 13, 2010, 12:46:05 PM
Giratina

Quote:
So I only have to kill 25 or so Machops?
Beat 25 machops with the power bracer and then take it off and beat one to get the maximum beneficial EV's (Max=252)
Old April 13, 2010, 01:04:25 PM
Zoroark

Default I would like to know how Ivs and Evs work.

I want to be a trainer with strong pokemon and I don't know how Ivs and Evs work.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:24:12 PM
Kyurem

IVs are stats Pokémon randomly have when caught. They range from 0 to 31, a higher IV means a stronger Pokémon. They can not change, and are really only important for competitive battling.

EVs are stats Pokémon gain when you defeat other Pokémon. They affect how strong Pokémon are as well, but can be modified and tweaked to your liking. If your Pokémon only uses Physical moves, the special attack EV is useless, and instead should be distributed among other stats.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:26:18 PM
Zoroark

how do you tweak the ev stats
Old April 13, 2010, 01:28:57 PM
Kyurem

Protein, Carbos, HP UP, etc. will raise them, while Tamato Berries, Kelpsey Berries, etc. will lower them. It tells you which stat in the item's description.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:30:42 PM
Zoroark

thanks
Old April 13, 2010, 01:35:57 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Beat 25 machops with the power bracer and then take it off and beat one to get the maximum beneficial EV's (Max=252)
Thanks. I was doing it wrong for months. I was killing four times as many Pokemon than necessary. ;_;
Old April 13, 2010, 01:38:52 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Thanks. I was doing it wrong for months. I was killing four times as many Pokemon than necessary. ;_;
It helps when you know how to do it.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:50:08 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
It helps when you know how to do it.
You said it! I will now be able to train teams in one fourth of the time!
Old April 13, 2010, 03:12:06 PM
Shaymin

....Erm. This thread is a bit moot since these questions were answered by a lot of people in the EV Question thread. I suppose we could leave this open for the basic gist of things.

So, yeah. EVs and IVs...

EVs stand for Effort Values. They're basically semi-invisible points. that boost a Pokemon's stats. Every Pokemon you faint in the wild or in battle will grant EVs, and upon levelup those EVs take place and boost stats.

IVs are Individual Values. Most of the time these are determined randomly but can be slightly controlled through breeding for natures and using the Power item method introduced in HGSS.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:47:46 PM
Regigigas

Which pokemon give attack and special ev'S?
Old April 13, 2010, 03:48:41 PM
Giratina

Suggestion: Make an 'EV Discussion Thread'

I don't need my thread anymore
Old April 13, 2010, 04:26:43 PM
Zoroark

what is the power item method?
Old April 13, 2010, 04:41:09 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Suggestion: Make an 'EV Discussion Thread'

I don't need my thread anymore
You know what? Since your thread is already fleshed out as it is, I'm going to rename it "EV/IV Training Discussion Thread" and merge this thread with that one.

EDIT: Done. Disregard the last eight or so posts.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 13, 2010 at 04:44:36 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:02:59 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahbahl1212 View Post
what is the power item method?
Power Items add 4 extra EVs to everything that you beat. Fantastically useful. Say you fought a Pokemon that give out 1 EV.

1 + 4 = 5 Nice, huh? Now let's incorporate Pokerus...

(1 + 4) * 2 = 10 10 EVs per Pokemon! That would mean to max out a stat, you would only have to beat 26 Pokemon. This speeds up thing by an incredible amount.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:03:30 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayunnuya View Post
Which pokemon give attack and special ev'S?
Machop gives 1 attack and... hold on...
*pulls out EV pokemon list*
Gastly gives 1 Sp. Attack
Old April 13, 2010, 05:06:16 PM
Giratina

Quote:
That would mean to max out a stat, you would only have to beat 26 Pokemon.
Well, technically 25 with power item + pokerus and 1 with just pokerus
Old April 13, 2010, 05:14:45 PM
Giratina

I've edited the first post, how is it?

Last edited by SK; April 13, 2010 at 05:24:53 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:30:03 PM
Kyurem

Oooh good job SK! This thread will hopefully continue to answer people's qeustions about EV training.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:40:42 PM
Shaymin

Fouled up the thread merge though. I think the thread will serve its purpose well though.

(I chuckled when I saw my post copypasta'd into the opening.)
Old April 13, 2010, 06:19:49 PM
Giratina

Lols, I'm not the smart one, now am I? :3

New name calls for new first post.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:35:56 PM
Giratina

Little heads up for anyone reading this post,
I have a list of ev's for really common pokemon.

So if you need to know what pokemon gives what, just ask me!
Old April 14, 2010, 02:10:51 PM
Giratina

Post it if you want.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:28:14 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Post it if you want.
Ok then...
Click the spoiler!

Spoiler Alert:    
Rattata - 1 speed
Raticate - 2 speed
Voltorb - 1 speed
Electrode - 2 speed
Zubat - 1 speed
Gobalt - 2 speed
Spearow - 1 speed
Fearow - 2 speed
Diglett - 1 speed
Dugtrio - 2 speed
Electabuzz - 2 speed
Pidgey - 1 Speed
Pidgeotto - 2 Speed
Weedle - 1 Speed
Meowth - 1 Speed
Magikarp - 1 Speed

Grimer - 1 Hp
Jigglypuff - 2 Hp
Clefairy - 2 Hp

Shellder - 1 Defense
Cloyster - 2 Defense
Koffing - 1 Defense
Weezing - 2 Defense
Geodude - 1 Defense
Gravler - 2 Defense
Ryhorn - 1 Defense
Steelix - 2 Defense
Onyx - 1 Defense
Kakuna - 2 Defense

Gastly - 1 Sp. Attack
Haunter - 2 Sp. Attack
Magmar - 2 Sp. attack
Magnemite - 1 Sp. Attack
Magneton - 2 Sp. Attack

Machop - 1 Attack
Machoke - 2 Attack
Ekans - 1 Attack
Arbok - 2 Attack
Paras - 1 Attack
Rhydon - 2 Attack
Primape - 2 attack
Mankey - 1 Attack
Sentret - 1 Attack

You will see there are some very common Pokemon... in addition to some uncommon Pokemon (like haunter)

Last edited by Quadcentruo; April 14, 2010 at 03:33:30 PM.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:30:12 PM
Keldeo

Aww theres actually a place in victory road on platinum where there are only floatzels and golbat. Its wear I EV train for speed~! =w= Very useful~! ;3 I could get a map of it and mark it if ya want. =w=
Old April 14, 2010, 03:34:25 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Aww theres actually a place in victory road on platinum where there are only floatzels and golbat. Its wear I EV train for speed~! =w= Very useful~! ;3 I could get a map of it and mark it if ya want. =w=
Go ahead!
If your trying to get EV training done, with the speed at least, it will be very helpful to know where they are!
Old April 14, 2010, 04:54:26 PM
Administrator

Perhaps this would be of help of what Pokémon give out what Effort Values?
Old April 14, 2010, 06:10:50 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Ok then...
Click the spoiler!

Spoiler Alert:    
Rattata - 1 speed
Raticate - 2 speed
Voltorb - 1 speed
Electrode - 2 speed
Zubat - 1 speed
Gobalt - 2 speed
Spearow - 1 speed
Fearow - 2 speed
Diglett - 1 speed
Dugtrio - 2 speed
Electabuzz - 2 speed
Pidgey - 1 Speed
Pidgeotto - 2 Speed
Weedle - 1 Speed
Meowth - 1 Speed
Magikarp - 1 Speed

Grimer - 1 Hp
Jigglypuff - 2 Hp
Clefairy - 2 Hp

Shellder - 1 Defense
Cloyster - 2 Defense
Koffing - 1 Defense
Weezing - 2 Defense
Geodude - 1 Defense
Gravler - 2 Defense
Ryhorn - 1 Defense
Steelix - 2 Defense
Onyx - 1 Defense
Kakuna - 2 Defense

Gastly - 1 Sp. Attack
Haunter - 2 Sp. Attack
Magmar - 2 Sp. attack
Magnemite - 1 Sp. Attack
Magneton - 2 Sp. Attack

Machop - 1 Attack
Machoke - 2 Attack
Ekans - 1 Attack
Arbok - 2 Attack
Paras - 1 Attack
Rhydon - 2 Attack
Primape - 2 attack
Mankey - 1 Attack
Sentret - 1 Attack

You will see there are some very common Pokemon... in addition to some uncommon Pokemon (like haunter)
Mind if I put this in the first post? :3

Quote:
Where might that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
That isn't bad but I sorta like the way that Quad grouped it together.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:11:02 PM
Volcarona

I don't have the patience to EV train...lol
I think I may semi EV train a Vaporeon someday for Def/Sp.Def mix, so that way it'll be strong in DEF, Sp.DEF, and HP. Plus my "attacking wall" strat for it.
So It's naturally strong in HP, and Sp. ATK, and I train it for DEF and SP.DEF (SPD and ATK can go die) I'll have an uberveon.

(I know EV training is about boosting the strongest star, in this case HP, but IDC. )

But like I said...no patience.

Last edited by Flare Soru; April 14, 2010 at 07:12:43 PM.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:56:15 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Mind if I put this in the first post? :3
Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
And I put my list like that for a reason.
That reason being,
Why bother knowing the EV's of every Pokemon? Why not just the most common ones?
Old April 15, 2010, 04:41:32 PM
Regigigas

How long does it usually take to EV train a pokemon to Lvl 100?
Old April 15, 2010, 04:51:35 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayunnuya View Post
How long does it usually take to EV train a pokemon to Lvl 100?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare Soru View Post
I don't have the patience to EV train...lol
I think I may semi EV train a Vaporeon someday for Def/Sp.Def mix, so that way it'll be strong in DEF, Sp.DEF, and HP. Plus my "attacking wall" strat for it.
So It's naturally strong in HP, and Sp. ATK, and I train it for DEF and SP.DEF (SPD and ATK can go die) I'll have an uberveon.

(I know EV training is about boosting the strongest star, in this case HP, but IDC. )

But like I said...no patience.
EV training does not involve getting to level 100. In fact, many Pokemon I have EV trained fully only reach level 14 or so! EV training involves maxing out EVs, NOT getting to level 100. With Pokerus and the Power Items, EV training is very brief. It only involves killing 26 Pokemon to max out a stat with these items. And Flare, thanks to what I listed, EVing does not take long at all. You should try it!

Last edited by Alakazamaster; April 15, 2010 at 04:52:33 PM.
Old April 15, 2010, 05:43:00 PM
Giratina

2x faster with PokeRus. :3 If only my Weedle had it.
Old April 15, 2010, 06:45:49 PM
Regigigas

Anyone know a way to get pkrs, or is it totally random?
Old April 15, 2010, 06:59:34 PM
Giratina

Get someone to trade a Pokemon with PokeRus to you, or you can have a 1/8000ish chance of a wild Pokemon having it. Basically the same chance as finding a shiny.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:10:45 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
EV training does not involve getting to level 100. In fact, many Pokemon I have EV trained fully only reach level 14 or so! EV training involves maxing out EVs, NOT getting to level 100. With Pokerus and the Power Items, EV training is very brief. It only involves killing 26 Pokemon to max out a stat with these items. And Flare, thanks to what I listed, EVing does not take long at all. You should try it!
This is great and all, but you know I'm going to max out levels at 100 anyway just so I can say that I can.

But yeah, the highest level I've gotten a Pokemon while EVing was 16. It's not actually about leveling them up, more about fighting certain Pokemon x times.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:24:44 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Are

you

SERIOUS?!?!?

So when I was battling you...I WAS BATTLING LV. 14's?!?!?!?!?

I give up on life.

Wait...if that's all it takes...couldn't one max out every stat? First do it's strongest, then next and next, etc. etc. 2 maxed stats would take around 30 levels, then 3 around 45, etc. etc. (Maxed as far as the pokemons nature allows)

Last edited by Flare Soru; April 15, 2010 at 08:28:11 PM.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:38:36 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Are

you

SERIOUS?!?!?

I give up on life.

Wait...if that's all it takes...couldn't one max out every stat? First do it's strongest, then next and next, etc. etc. 2 maxed stats would take around 30 levels, then 3 around 45, etc. etc. (Maxed as far as the pokemons nature allows)

That can't be done sadly. Only 510 EVs are allowed, and it takes 255 to max out a stat. (although most people put 252 instead because the extra 3 EVs would be pointless)

Last edited by Sunny; April 15, 2010 at 10:39:11 PM.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:35:48 AM
Zoroark

I didn't look through all the previous posts, but it's recommended you wait til after you've beaten the story part of the game (usually all gym leaders and the elite four) for any version before you endeavor to EV train or IV breed. It's fine to do it before the story part of the game is over, but you usually lack the resources and it takes away from the adventure.

Also, an AR comes in handy (once again, for after beating the main game) for two reasons:

1) Infinite money is really a must for getting Proteins, Carbos, etc. to speed up the process. It changes EV training from 2-3 hours to maybe an hour tops if used right.

2) TM's can only be used once (and the good ones are hard to get again), so using an AR to get 99 of each helps if you're making a competitive team. It's not cheating exactly since most TM's are retrievable again and there's no real ultimate TM (all of them play to some strength and weakness).

I usually put down using it for any other reason that takes away the challenge part of Pokemon. The simple truth is money is frustrating to save up for when you need it for something simple and moves like Earthquake and Stone Edge are just too hard to obtain again.
Old April 16, 2010, 05:39:39 AM
Volcarona

alright, so could someone post a EV training step by step process? Including where to get items in HG (not the drinks, I know those lol)

I just hatched my egg and by some freak accident it has the perfect nature.
Now I...

Last edited by Flare Soru; April 16, 2010 at 05:41:41 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:17:33 AM
Giratina

Quote:
alright, so could someone post a EV training step by step process? Including where to get items in HG (not the drinks, I know those lol)
Which items did you mean?
If you meant the vitamins, they can be found in the Goldenrod/Veilstone Department Store.
If you meant the Power Items, they can be obtained in the Battle Frontier in Platinum/HG/SS.

Quote:
I just hatched my egg and by some freak accident it has the perfect nature.
Now I...
If I were you, I would:

1) Decide what set I want to use on my Pokémon.
This includes choosing the appropriate EV spread, ability (when applicable) and moves. Smogon is probably the best site for choosing a set for your Pokémon.

2) Purchase the vitamins that I need in order to maximize my Pokémon stats.
Remember: 10 vitamins (the maximum amount that can be given per stat) give 100 EVs to the respective stat that they raise. I know that you need a lot of money, but this speeds up the EV-training process significantly.

3) Use an Experience Share if my Pokémon is not strong enough to battle wild Pokémon (which is the case with most newly-hatched Pokémon).
Attach it to the Pokémon that you want to EV train, but don't put it as the first in your party. Instead, send out a level 100 Pokémon (as I prefer), and/or whose EVs have been already maxed out, to battle the wild Pokémon. When this Pokémon defeats the wild one, it will not get any EVs, since its EVs have already been maxed out. However, your Pokémon, which is holding an Experience Share, will get the EVs from the wild Pokémon, and will also gain experience. In this way, your weak Pokémon can evolve to become able to battle wild Pokémon on its own (therefore getting more EVs at a faster pace).

4) Get the Power Item(s) that I need for my Pokémon.
Every Power Item gives 4 extra EVs in its respective stat per a battle with any Pokémon. In this way, you can battle very common Pokémon and get a high number of EVs, which saves a lot of time.

5) Keep battling until I get the EVs that I want. (For every step/battle that you take, I cannot stress out how important it is to note down the EVs gained by your Pokémon. In this way, you can keep a full track of the EVs that your Pokémon is getting, which ensures that you reach your goal correctly)

Now, time for an example to make things easier:
(For the sake of convenience, I'll be using Platinum in my example)

Spoiler Alert:    
1) Hatched a Brave Bronzor. Decided to run the 'Offensive Trick Room' set from Smogon. This means I'll be using an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD.

2) Purchased 10 HP Ups and 10 Proteins, and gave them to my Bronzor. It now has 100 EVs in both HP and Attack. So now my remaining EVs are 152 HP / 152 Atk/ 4 SpD.

3) Gave my Bronzor an Experience Share, and put my Empoleon, whom I used to beat Platinum, as the first member of my team. I'm sure he has maxed out EVs because I used him throughout the game till the Elite 4.
Now I go to route 212 and battle Tentacool 4 times. Tentacool gives 1 HP EV, so for every battle that I have, my Bronzor will obtain 1 EV in its Special Defense stat. After doing the battles, my Pokémon is around level 7 or 8, and has obtained 4 Sp Def EVs. Now my spread is 152 HP / 152 Atk.
(Click on the stats in this page to see a list of Pokémon that give out EVs for that specific stat).

4) Got a Power Weight from the Battle Frontier, and equipped it to my Bronzor. I headed to Route 201, where the extremely common Bidoof resides. Bidoof gives 1 HP EV, and with the Power Weight, I'll get 4 extra HP EVs. So, I'll be getting 5 HP EVs per one battle with Bidoof.
I battled him for 30 times, and so my Pokémon got 150 EVs in HP (5*30 = 150). This makes my spread 2 HP / 152 Atk. I removed the Power Weight, and battled Bidoof 2 more times to gain 2 EVs. Now I successfully completed the HP EVs needed. The spread became 152 Atk only.

5) Repeated the same thing with Attack by battling Machop in Route 207. This time, however, it has the Power Bracer attached, so it gains 5 Attack EVs in total per one battle with Machop. I did this 30 times, getting a total of 150 EVs. I removed the Power Bracer, and battled Machop two more times, so I obtained 2 more EVs in Attack. This gives me a total of 152 EVs in Attack, which completes my goal.

Helpful tips

-To check that your Pokémon has obtained the full amount of EVs (i.e 508 EVs), go to Sunyshore City, to the Seal Market. There, a woman will give your Pokémon the Effort Ribbon if your Pokémon has obtained 508 EVs.

-You can use the Pokéradar to chain the Pokémon that you want to battle. In this way, you only encounter the Pokémon that you want.

I hope I helped.

Last edited by Shadow; April 16, 2010 at 11:24:09 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:29:25 AM
Volcarona

3. Will the switch out strat work? And if I don't have any lv. 100's or maxed stat ones then will that hinder?

4. Ew, Battle frontier. And wouldn't you want to use these as soon as you hatch it? (If switching out in #3 works)

And after you get 508 EV's, any other battles you do won't effect anything?

Yes, that helped a lot.

Looks like I'm going to have to beat HG before I can do much.

and what would you suggest EV wise for my Vaporeon? I want it to be strong in DEF, Sp. DEF, and HP / Sp. ATK is minimal, ATK and SPD can go die in a fire.
Moveset is: Acid Armor, Aqua Ring, Surf, Ice Beam. Holding Leftovers.
Kinda like an attacking wall...

Last edited by Flare Soru; April 16, 2010 at 11:32:55 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:38:39 AM
Giratina

Quote:
3. Will the switch out strat work?
To be completely honest, I do not have an answer to this question. You should ask another member.

Quote:
And if I don't have any lv. 100's or maxed stat ones then will that hinder?
Well, you can always use a high-leveled and/or useless Pokémon whom you don't care about/will never EV train (like a Kricketune, which is very common and can be caught wild). Such Pokémon are EXTREMELY rare to find in the competitive environment.

Quote:
And wouldn't you want to use these as soon as you hatch it? (If switching out in #3 works)
As I have said, I don't know about the switching out strategy, so you're better off asking another member.

Quote:
And after you get 508 EV's, any other battles you do won't effect anything?
Yup, that's right.

Last edited by Shadow; April 16, 2010 at 11:39:01 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:48:24 AM
Volcarona

lol, only part I don't like about this whole thing is Battle Frontier.

and I'll post this again...
Quote:
and what would you suggest EV wise for my Vaporeon? I want it to be strong in DEF, Sp. DEF, and HP / Sp. ATK is minimal, ATK and SPD can go die in a fire.
Moveset is: Acid Armor, Aqua Ring, Surf, Ice Beam. Holding Leftovers. (obviously with Water Absorb)
Kinda like an attacking wall...
This vaporeon I came up with all on my own. It's kinda like my pride and joy pokemon. Not really sure how good it is though, I do know It caused Giratina to start using struggle and it was at full health...lol. Nor do I know any EVs/what nature to use.
And with that I tackle beating HG so I can actually start making this vaporeon a reality (I've done it tons of times, but never EV trained.) (Right after I do HW. >_< Yay only one more week left........finals week)

Last edited by Flare Soru; April 16, 2010 at 11:50:10 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 12:44:06 PM
Keldeo

Hmm wish might be better then aqua ring, but thats just my opinion.
and i'd say put most of the ev's in sp def and hp since a single acid armor will boost your defense higher then your sp.def even when its fully EV'd. =w=

Soooo
Calm nature which boost sp.d and lowers atk.
252 hp, 252 sp.def, and 4 sp.atk.
Vaporeon needs all the sp.def it can get because of its weakness to grass and electric, which are usually special~! You can invest some into sp.atk as well, but I think vaporeons sp.atk is good enough. =w= Hope that helped.

Last edited by Sunny; April 16, 2010 at 12:45:05 PM.
Old April 16, 2010, 12:48:19 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Are

you

SERIOUS?!?!?

I give up on life.
If it makes you feel any better, not all of them WERE Level 14. I leveled up some of them so that I could get certain moves. However, there is one Pokemon I have that is still level 14. Just goes to show how useful set level battles are.
Old April 16, 2010, 12:50:31 PM
Giratina

Haha, yes, like Kazam said, level ups sometimes should be done after EV Training for better movesets. :3 That's what I'll do after I finish EV Training the one I'm working on right now. but it will still be relatively low in level.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:11:25 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Hmm wish might be better then aqua ring, but thats just my opinion.
and i'd say put most of the ev's in sp def and hp since a single acid armor will boost your defense higher then your sp.def even when its fully EV'd. =w=

Soooo
Calm nature which boost sp.d and lowers atk.
252 hp, 252 sp.def, and 4 sp.atk.
Vaporeon needs all the sp.def it can get because of its weakness to grass and electric, which are usually special~! You can invest some into sp.atk as well, but I think vaporeons sp.atk is good enough. =w= Hope that helped.
Alright, I'll do that.
I'm gonna stay with Aqua Ring just because it's what I came up with and what I'm more comfortable with.
Now I just gotta beat the game and get through that stupid battle frontier as fast as possible. Gonna get one of each band/bracelet so I don't have to go back.

if anyone has a calm eevee, you know who to contact. :3
Old April 16, 2010, 04:29:41 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
That can't be done sadly. Only 510 EVs are allowed, and it takes 255 to max out a stat. (although most people put 252 instead because the extra 3 EVs would be pointless)
I actually "overtrain" and pump those three into the first stat I train, so that it still has something of a preference.

And regarding the level up system, like Ala and SK said, you will have to grind for levels post-EVs for moves and evolutions, unless you either Egg Moved a set or are keeping the Pokemon as NFEs.
Old April 16, 2010, 05:33:37 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Alright, I'll do that.
I'm gonna stay with Aqua Ring just because it's what I came up with and what I'm more comfortable with.
Now I just gotta beat the game and get through that stupid battle frontier as fast as possible. Gonna get one of each band/bracelet so I don't have to go back.

if anyone has a calm eevee, you know who to contact. :3
I would like to humbly suggest Bold.
Old April 16, 2010, 05:58:42 PM
Volcarona

Just going off of what sunny suggested...
Old April 16, 2010, 06:08:03 PM
Keldeo

Why bold? With a single acid armor vaporeons defense will already surpass its sp.def. =w= And its weakness to grass and electric tend to be used as special attack more often then physical.
Old April 16, 2010, 06:18:43 PM
Kyurem

Ooops silly me I did not realize that an Acid Armor set was being used. ' I typically use Bold over Calm because Vaporeon needs all the Defense it can get since it is not that great. Although, I typically do not run Acid Armor, SO I GUESS THAT'S JUST ME. Pay no heed to my lack of noticing movesets!
Old April 16, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
Mudkip

I've been reading though some of the posts here giving out helpful info on EV/IV stuff. Seems kinda complactied, but I want to try it so I can say I at least tried to EV Train. :l
Old April 16, 2010, 07:21:30 PM
Regigigas

Do you recommend catching a pokemon with a specific nature and EV training it?
Old April 16, 2010, 07:26:50 PM
Kyurem

EV TRAINING HAS ANOTHER BENEFIT! I GOT A SHINY MACHOP WHILE ATTACK EV TRAINING! YES!
Old April 16, 2010, 07:28:30 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
EV TRAINING HAS ANOTHER BENEFIT! I GOT A SHINY MACHOP WHILE ATTACK EV TRAINING! YES!

I can't think of anything to say...