Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 11, 2010, 03:44:44 PM
Mudkip

Post Why do you like Pokémon?

WARNING: Do not read if you doubt Pokémon even a little bit.

I've had this question asked to me, and I didn't know how to respond right away.

Why do you like Pokémon? How did you start liking Pokémon?

I think like Pokémon because it is something that stuck to me mentally at the beginning, and I just accepted it, and improved it. I got into liking Pokémon from playing Pokémon Red, liked it, then improved from there.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:16:02 PM
Charizard

I liked it since it was original and one of the first of its kind to battle and raise "monsters". It also had a pretty good storyline and multiplayer too. I think I just liked it since I got to beat down many trainers and gloat in my victory xD
Old March 25, 2010, 03:22:39 PM

I started liking pokemon ever since first or second grade when I saw a pokemon board game that showed all of the first 151 pokemon on the front. I liked seeing all the creatures, and the pokemon themselves are still the main reason why I like pokemon.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:27:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
I started liking pokemon ever since first or second grade when I saw a pokemon board game that showed all of the first 151 pokemon on the front. I liked seeing all the creatures, and the pokemon themselves are still the main reason why I like pokemon.
Pokemon Master Trainer? That is in my closet right now.

I started liking it when I was young, and I loved how unique it was and I guess I never really let it go. Why would I?
Old March 25, 2010, 04:34:02 PM
Shaymin

Hm.

Pokemon's appeal is hard to describe. I can't put it directly into one word.

To describe it, I'll have to compare it to something entirely unrelated, so hopefully it comes across as some shred of sense. Let's look at HAL games. Games like Kirby and Smash Bros. are simple to play, right? They're intentionally designed for beginners. The controls, gameplay mechanics, and graphics style is relatively simple (although the Smash games look absolutely beautiful). It's easy for new players to adjust to these controls and master them quickly, thus improving their mastery of the game. They begin finding techniques that are beyond their difficulty level, but since the gameplay is designed as an anything goes type of thing, they can learn easier.

Now let's take another look at a character we all (hopefully) know and love: Mario. In nearly every game he's featured in, Mario is the basic character. He has no advantages or disadvantages, and he's a good beginner's choice. However, if you master him and his controls, he can be an unstoppable wrecking ball if handled correctly. The beginner can become the master simply by choosing something that's easy for him to do, and becoming extremely good at it and discovering new ways to handle it.

This is why I like Pokemon. It's a simple game: Catch Pokemon, pit them against each other, and win. The only main laws set down are leveling up, the type trumping system, and moves. If you can get a basic hang of all of it, you can get really good at the game. Plus, it's a good gateway into the metagame, where you begin learning all sorts of techniques and higher strategys that you may not have ever known of before, but since you know the basic mechanics, it's easy for you to master.

So, basically, I love Pokemon because it's such a simple concept that can be explored and taken to entirely vast degrees of complexity.
Old March 25, 2010, 05:12:21 PM
Rayquaza

I guess I like all the strategy in it and how it's so unrepetative everyday.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:05:08 PM
Volcarona

I have pokemon master trainer as well.
Even made new tokens for it awhile back for the newer legendaries. xD

First thing I ever saw was the cards. Then shortly after pokemon Red, followed by the anime.
I still have that pokemon red, and I still remember catching a paras on a car trip as I played it for my first time xD
I even have my gameboy (color) to play it on!
I guess red is what really got me hooked.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:35:46 AM
Charizard

i liked pokemon since the show was good and when i started to play pokemon ruby it was good. and then i started getting into more in dept into it.
Old April 27, 2010, 08:49:44 AM
Regigigas

The anime got me into Pokémon.I never knew there were any games.My first game was Crystal.
Old April 28, 2010, 06:39:19 PM
Regigigas

I don't like anything else that's Pokemon except the game. Why? Kause it is kompetative. I have a thing for kompetition.
Old April 28, 2010, 06:57:32 PM
Haxorus

My mom's friend found a Gameboy in his house from when a lady and her son were visiting. He couldn't get a hold of her again, so he gave it to me. It had Gold in it! I've been addicted ever since.
Old April 29, 2010, 04:54:52 PM
Volcarona

Why else? The pokemon.

I love animals and I've even had some dreams where I was one too. Ever dreamed of being a Pikachu? It's a very interesting experience.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:45:36 PM
Mudkip

After rethinking about this, I feel that I need to go a little more in-depth on my explanation, so I will post my new explanation.
My Long Explanation    
In order to explain it, I must examine my entire life of pokemon, from me in the past, as a 5-year-old, to me in the present, as a 13-year-old. 
I started knowing pokemon with I believe an episode (not the pilot) of the aname and somewhat liked it. I soon had Pokemon Red, and started becoming like any other 5-year-old addict of pokemon (i.e:Pokemon posters, acessories, gameboy holders, calendars, etc.). I think I also had Pokemon cards, because I saw a few cards around the house many years later, even though I have no knowledge of collecting them. At that point I liked pokemon for the same reason everyone else at my age liked it: it appealed to me somewhat. I had been fading in and out of watching the aname, but I was very addicted to my Pokemon Red. (I've finished the game, but it was deleted by someone. I played again, and tried the Missingno. Glitch, being only able to get infinite items. Someone deleted that game, too. I haven't played it since.)
Somewhere before the 2nd Gen comes out, my pokemon addiction (yes, addiction) stops. I stop watching the show almost altogether, I never got Gold/Silver/Crystal (I still don't have it), and I had no knowledge of the 2nd gen. (I refer to it as a hole in my pokemon life, because it is my only weakness of my current knowledge of pokemon). I still played Red, though. I think I had just lost interest, just like everyone else. Looking back at it, I really wish that I didn't pause my pokemon life at the 2nd gen. If it weren't for Heartgold, I wouldn't know how good it was, except for other people's reviews.
When the 3rd Gen comes out, I start gaining interest again. I bought a Gameboy Advance SP, and Pokemon Emerald. I also start watching the aname again. Even though I start up again, I was still not as interested/addicted as I am now. I didn't watch much of the aname (but I did watch a lot of the movies), but I was more interested in the game. I finished the game, caught the legendaries, and was now winding down on the game, when it was stolen. I was somewhat lucky that I was pretty much done, but I was very mad, and I couldn't trust people as much anymore (anyone, because I never had one friend until 6th grade). At this time, I also get Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. At this point, Pokemon was just something, and at this point I could actually give it up if I had to.
When the 4th Gen comes out, I start to have a little more interest. I don't get Diamond right away, I think because I just got a hand-me-down DS and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team from my dad. I do get Diamond, then Platinum (the first Pokemon game I get and play before finishing the last game). I then get Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, then Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I then become a little obsessed with Pokemon. Very soon, I start to get doubt on my interest in Pokemon. I don't see anyone else my age liking Pokemon, and I'm starting to lose a little interest. Luckily, I stumble upon Floatzel.net. I look around, and very soon my doubt goes away. After being on floatzel.net for about 6 months, I also find victoryroad.net, where I gain more interest/addiction to Pokemon than ever before. I earn more encyclopedic knowledge than ever before, and I become obsessed with pokemon. I then get Heartgold (the first game I ever pre-ordered), and then hear about the 5th Generation.
That brings me to the present. I currently like pokemon because it is a world that I would really like being in, because it eliminates many problems in life, without it being a perfect paradise. I also like it because it is something that I am better that than almost everyone I know. Pokemon has been with me for 75% of my life, and it will be with me for my entire life.

Edited: This explanation isn't a great one. It's more of an autobiography of my Pokemon life. I actually like Pokemon because I saw it when I was young and it just stuck to me more than most other people my age. Also, I like it because its somewhat of an escape from reality.

Last edited by smartguy01; July 30, 2010 at 08:09:19 AM.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:48:07 PM
Mudkip

Well I went to my friends house one day and he was playing Pokémon Stadium 1. The game looked fun so I played it, then I got Pokémon Silver, and later my friend taught me to hack.
~Snow
Old May 19, 2010, 02:51:29 PM
Shaymin

Because not only is it fun andrew has spectacular music, it's a large part of my childhood and even now my near adulthood...It's fun even if I lose some Wi-Fi battles & even if the storyline is rehashed, there's still fun gameplay that keeps bringing me back for more. :3
Old May 21, 2010, 11:32:51 AM
Servine

i like it due to a great idea based on one man's childhood and his dreams.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:05:55 PM
Servine

its diffrent to all those Rpgs, Its Just Special in a way.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:22:14 PM
Giratina

Why do I like Pokémon?! Hmm...
I'm a huge fan of turn-based RPGs, such as Mario & Luigi, Final Fantasy and, or course, Pokémon. However, Pokemon is special. Each time you play through it is always different, because you use different teams, different moves, different strategies, and because of the luck involved (Crits, natures, IVs, etc) you can't guarantee that it'll be the same even if you do everything exactly the same. Which is why I love it.
Old June 20, 2010, 08:21:18 AM
Magikarp

I've just always loved it. Even when I was younger and didn't completely understand it. I remember absolutly loving the pokemon exeggutor. I bought so many leaf stones in the old games to get them.The game was and still is amazingly fun to me.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:30:16 PM
Banned

I like Pokemon because well...truthfully I don't the slightest idea, but I do... and I'm super happy about that.
Old July 3, 2010, 05:32:58 PM
Banned

Whoops pardon my statement above. I meant I don't HAVEthe slightest idea.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:20:24 PM
Haxorus

My cousins started me, IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!! They were big video game people. They both shared a room with a TV, their NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and assorted Nintendo handhelds. I was impressed (especially being a 5 or 6 yr old kid with no previous video game experience). Their favorite was Pokemon. They had lots of figurines, cards, and games. They got me hooked onto videogames themselves. Because Pokemon was their favorite, it then became my favorite. I liked it because they did. Now I like it because it's awesome.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:46:01 PM
Charizard

My cousin played Pokemon Crystal in front of me when I was about ten, I think. I watched the anime and movies more than I played the games, until we couldn't afford Comcast's service for Cartoon Network.

Maybe I liked Pokemon because of the show. Nah, I would play CoD: MW2 over Pokemon Black, it wasn't the games. Unless you count the PMD series; that series got me, even though lots of people hated it.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:47:23 PM
Cyndaquil

I like pokemon because in the 90's it was the $H1+. The anime was the first anime I watched and the games where the second handheld video games I had.

It was a part of my childhood and I will never forget it

Last edited by GoldndSilver7; August 11, 2010 at 09:48:04 PM.