Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 16, 2010, 04:12:56 AM
Giratina

Default American Idol season 9 discussion thread

A lot of people watch American Idol on the forums, so I thought of making this thread to discuss the various performances of contestants and artists; and to share opinions on the weekly eliminations.

As of now, there are 7 finalists competing for the title of 'American Idol'. They are:

Crystal Bowersox
Tim Urban
Lee DeWyze
Aaron Kelly
Siobhan Magnus
Michael Lynche
Casey James

The Judges' Save has been used to rescue Michael Lynche from elimination last week. Therefore, two contestants were voted off this week: Andrew Garcia and Katie Stevens.
The theme which the Top 7 have to follow for next week is "Inspirational Songs", and the person mentoring them is Alicia Keys.

So, what do you think of Wednesday's elimination? Whom do you currently support in the Top 7?

Personally, I believe that Katie Stevens shouldn't have been eliminated.
Tim Urban has been strongly criticized by the judges ever since he's been in the competition (excluding his performances of "Hallelujah" and "Can't Help Falling In Love"). He should've been voted off like 2 or 3 weeks ago, but instead he's been progressing week after week just because of his commercial look.
Andrew Garcia has been having continuous trouble with song choice, and is not as bright as the others. Therefore, I find his elimination justifiable.

Currently, I support Crystal, Lee, Siobhan and Casey. They're not in any particular order though.

Last edited by Shadow; April 16, 2010 at 04:14:17 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 04:32:36 AM
Rayquaza

I don't really care for American Idol.

BUT, my sister actually knows that Katie girl that got kicked off this week.

Last edited by Shadow; April 16, 2010 at 04:34:11 AM. Reason: Correcting a slight mistake
Old April 16, 2010, 05:49:16 AM
Volcarona

I'm not following this season because I find the overall "talent" of it to be far worse than a lot of previous seasons.
But while were talking about AI...

HOW IN THE HECK DID THAT KRIS KID WIN?!? HE'S HORRIBLE! ADAM HAS 500X MORE TALENT THEN THAT KID.

o wait, he looks cute. :/

slowly and slowly I'm getting less and less interested in this show because it's not about singing, it's about popularity. (hence Tim Urban. Fangirl: OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!! HE LOOKS SO CUUUUUUTE! ALMOST LIKE A JONAS BROTHER! HE CAN'T HIT A RIGHT NOTE BUT I WANT TO MARRY HIM! MAYBE IF I VOTE FOR HIM FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT HE'LL PROPOSE!!! *scream and faint*)

so yea, slowly losing interest.

I kindof support Crystal and Lee, but that's only going off of my parents opinions since their watching it and I'm not.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:46:28 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare Soru View Post
so yea, slowly losing interest.
I kind of lost interest in the show a while ago, I don't really like singing/keep up with current music in the first place, so it was bound to happen, plus since i've stopped watching TV a lot recently(i've been using my laptop more =|) I stopped watching, like 2 seasons ago.

BUT

I saw this and just had to ask: "Crystal Bowersox"
What kind of name is that? Any relation to Sanjaya? A three-time removed cousin or something?
Also, Andrew Garcia got kicked off? I'm surprised, I thought that RayWilliamJohnson's support would jump him to the top. =\
Old April 16, 2010, 12:30:00 PM
Giratina

Tbh, Tim was pretty good last week so he got to stay. But he'll be gone soon unless the fangirls decide to have an all-night voting party.

I'm really liking Lee because of his style, I also liked when he sang Fireflies in the top 24-ish rounds. :3

Other than that, I sorta like Tim and Casey.

I'd say the next people to go will be Tim, then Aaron, and then Siobahn/Mike. Lee and Crystal are pretty solid right now.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:45:39 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
Tbh, Tim was pretty good last week so he got to stay. But he'll be gone soon unless the fangirls decide to have an all-night voting party.
Couldn't agree more on that.

Quote:
I'm really liking Lee because of his style, I also liked when he sang Fireflies in the top 24-ish rounds. :3
Same here. He used to be a rather 'dull' contestant compared with the the rest, but now he's been showing significant improvement as the competition progresses. In addition to his performance of "Fireflies", I also liked when he sang "The Letter" and "A Little Less Conversation". That's why I support him now.

Last edited by Shadow; April 17, 2010 at 11:46:38 AM.
Old April 18, 2010, 09:58:54 AM
Giratina

Hmm, I was thinking about themes that they've had and I don't like the single artist ones very much because I'm not really old enough to like that music.

Do you happen to know what's this week's theme? :O
Old April 21, 2010, 09:43:33 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Hmm, I was thinking about themes that they've had and I don't like the single artist ones very much because I'm not really old enough to like that music.

Do you happen to know what's this week's theme? :O
Sorry for the late reply, but I already mentioned that the theme this week would be "Inspirational Songs" in my first post.

Anyways, since I just finished watching the Top 7 competing, Casey, Tim and Aaron have a high chance of being in the bottom 3 this week (only judging from their performances). I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Siobhan there too, since her performance wasn't really accepted by the judges.

Oh yeah, I was surprised to see Crystal burst into tears at the end of her performance. While it seemed a little bit too much of a reaction, I still believe she delivered an inspirational and touching performance.

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia, Lady GaGa will be performing on the results night in the Top 5 Week. I thought you might want to know that in advance SK so that you don't miss out on her, since you're a big fan

Last edited by Shadow; April 21, 2010 at 10:21:07 AM.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:30:48 AM
Giratina

Is American Idol sort of like Britain's Got Talent?
Old April 21, 2010, 12:10:28 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but I already mentioned that the theme this week would be "Inspirational Songs" in my first post.

Anyways, since I just finished watching the Top 7 competing, Casey, Tim and Aaron have a high chance of being in the bottom 3 this week (only judging from their performances). I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Siobhan there too, since her performance wasn't really accepted by the judges.

Oh yeah, I was surprised to see Crystal burst into tears at the end of her performance. While it seemed a little bit too much of a reaction, I still believe she delivered an inspirational and touching performance.

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia, Lady GaGa will be performing on the results night in the Top 5 Week. I thought you might want to know that in advance SK so that you don't miss out on her, since you're a big fan
LADY GAGA!!! Thanks for the info. :3

As for last night, I think your bottom 3 is correct although Casey might get a few more votes because he's pretty good overall. I don't really plan on watching tonight, though, because I listen to a radio talk show in the morning and they'll definitely tell me who got voted off. Plus, I have bell choir practice at church tonight.. I suppose that would be the main reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Is American Idol sort of like Britain's Got Talent?
AI is just singing, I dunno if BGT is just singing or not. But I'd say that it's probably pretty similar, although I've never seen BGT so don't quote me on that.

Last edited by SK; April 21, 2010 at 12:11:07 PM.
Old April 24, 2010, 04:14:26 AM
Giratina

Although a bit late, let me add my comment on Wednesday's result show:

The episode was incredibly long! Since it was the 'Idol Gives Back' night, it lasted for more than 2 hours. A lot of things happened: hilarious conversations, incredible performances, and touching reports about poor people. It was a really awesome episode which couldn't be missed.

I was glad to see the Top 12 performing together at the beginning of the episode once again. Also, the bottom 3 were exactly as I had predicted earlier: Casey James, Aaron Kelly and Tim Urban. And guess who was eliminated? Tim Urban. The poor guy - he didn't even get a chance to perform at the end because the episode was far too long for that.

By the way, I really felt empathetic upon seeing the reports about the needy people, especially the Africans. They made me think how blessed I was just for having proper housing, education and medical facilities. On another, less serious note, I was greatly entertained by the hilarious conversations which took place in the episode. George Lopez judging the judges was perhaps the best one out of them all. I kept on laughing out loud on every comment that he said about them

Lastly, the Top 6 will be mentored by Shania Twain, and they have to sing songs of hers for next week. I wonder how things will work out between Crystal and Shania, since Crystal has the latter's signature on her guitar.
Old April 24, 2010, 05:49:43 AM
Giratina

Lol yes, you're a pro because you guessed the bottom 3 exactly. xD

I honestly didn't watch the elimination show except for the last 5 minutes to see who was voted off. Apparently it was really boring, anyways. I'm not one for the charity stuff. :3

Didn't Crystal get Shania's signature in her audition? Shania was a guest judge at the beginning of the show.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:30:19 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Didn't Crystal get Shania's signature in her audition? Shania was a guest judge at the beginning of the show.
Since I missed a huge deal of the auditions, I really don't know about it.

Last edited by Shadow; April 24, 2010 at 07:30:32 AM.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:11:25 AM
Giratina

Well, they had a guest judge each week since Ellen wasn't there yet. Other guest judges included Victoria Beckham, Katy Perry, Joe Jonas, and Mary J. Blige.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:24:01 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Well, they had a guest judge each week since Ellen wasn't there yet. Other guest judges included Victoria Beckham, Katy Perry, Joe Jonas, and Mary J. Blige.
I did watch the later audition episodes, but not the earlier ones. I clearly remember watching the episodes where Neil Patrick Harris, Joe Jonas and Victoria Beckham were guest judges, but I'm not sure about the others.

Last edited by Shadow; April 24, 2010 at 08:25:02 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:29:37 AM
Giratina

*Double posted for updating the thread*

Oh my gosh. Siobhan Magnus got eliminated. This is completely unfair :/
She was a really interesting person, had a wonderful talent, and was independent and unpredictable. She shouldn't have been voted off because there were other contestants who deserved to be eliminated rather than her. Honestly, I feel like there's nothing to look forward to in the other contestants, since they pretty much do the same thing every week.
Meh. I'm starting to lose interest in American Idol...

Last edited by Shadow; May 4, 2010 at 09:30:57 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:12:41 PM
Giratina

Shadow, my bad for not posting after last week.

Siobhan was more unique than others, but I'm not sure about her voice, although Aaron should have left before her.

Also, I'm excited for LADY GAGA TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SK; May 4, 2010 at 12:13:43 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:57:30 AM
Giratina

So... Aaron Kelly got eliminated. While I think he's had some really good performances on stage, he's still not like the others. I also never liked the way he stood on the stage, with his legs open more than usual. Anyways, I still think he did a fine job overall, and I wish him the best of luck in the future.

By the way, did you see Lady GaGa's performance? The song was brand new to me.
The thing that really annoyed me about it were the dancers; their moves were incredibly gay and lame, and the way they touched each other was just... ew.

The last thing I want to say is that I'm really starting to get bored of American Idol because of one thing: most of the themes set for the contestants demanded them to sing really old songs, while the judges constantly tell them to be 'current' and 'modern'. Examples of those themes include 'Frank Sinatra' (honestly, his music is extremely old) and, to a certain extent, 'Elvis Presley'. I'm sick of seeing such young people perform very old and out-dated songs that my grandparents don't even like anymore. Those stupid themes have to be made more current because this is what will help the contestants become good artists.
I'm having my hopes high for next week's theme, which is 'Songs of the Cinema', with Jamie Foxx as a mentor. I hope the contestants choose some contemporary songs which suit their style and bring the liveliness back to the show.

Last edited by Shadow; May 14, 2010 at 05:28:09 AM.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:40:34 PM
Giratina

Quote:
with his legs open more than usual
'nuff said.

Quote:
By the way, did you see Lady GaGa's performance? The song was brand new to me.
The thing that really annoyed me about it were the dancers; their moves were incredibly gay and lame, and the way they touched each other was just... ew.

The last thing I want to say is that I'm really starting to get bored of American Idol because of one thing: most of the themes set for the contestants demanded them to sing really old songs, while the judges constantly tell them to be 'current' and 'modern'. Examples of those themes include 'Frank Sinatra' (honestly, his music is extremely old) and, to a certain extent, 'Elvis Presley'. I'm sick of seeing such young people perform very old and out-dated songs that my grandparents don't even like anymore. Those stupid themes have to be made more current because this is what will help the contestants become good artists.
I'm having my hopes high for next week's theme, which is 'Songs of the Cinema', with Jamie Foxx as a mentor. I hope the contestants choose some contemporary songs which suit their style and bring the liveliness back to the show.

2) The wrong people are constantly being eliminated
Jokes aside, I didn't like Gaga's song because it's one of her newer ones.. She should have done Bad Romance or Telephone. And yes, those dancers were extremely gay.

I honestly think that they need a Nickelback week, or another band with their style. That would be great.

As for eliminations, yeah, Casey should have left because he sounds like a lamb. Aaron probably should have gone last week, Casey this week, and Siobhan would still be in.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:03:30 PM
Mudkip

Lee Dewyze & Crystal Bowersox will be the final two.
I vote for Lee over Crystal.
Season 9 is the worst season ever!!
~Snow

Last edited by Snow; May 19, 2010 at 04:04:22 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:04:12 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Lee Dewyze & Crystal Bowersox will be the final two.
I vote for Lee over Crystal.
~Snow
Casey is too much of a goat to make it to the final 2.
Old June 8, 2010, 10:54:48 AM
Giratina

Since I was gone, the thread had no chance to remain active and get more posts concerning the finale. Anyways, the winner of season 9 has been declared as Lee DeWyze, to my disappointment. To be honest, Crystal would have made a much more interesting 'Idol', especially that we haven't seen many female winners over the past years. Plus, based on the performances on Tuesday, Crystal was in a totally different league than Lee, sporting much more charisma and vocal abilities. This was also proven by the judges' praise on all of her performances. Lee, on the other hand, is usually always tense, shy, less outgoing and more 'dull', although he has had many great performances throughout the show. Overall, I thought that Crystal deserved to win more than Lee, but whatever.

Oh yeah, the final results show had many amazing performances which I liked, such as "School's Out", "Beautiful / Fighter" and "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". However, I did not like many of the guest celebrities (including Joe Cocker) because they were too old for the contestants.

Last edited by Shadow; June 8, 2010 at 11:05:22 AM.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:17:15 PM
Haxorus

American Idol is a scam, anyways! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3pWemspxU0