Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive > Rate My Team

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 13, 2010, 12:38:58 PM
Kyurem

Default My Attempt to be Competitive

I'm trying to make a relatively useful competitive team using one type (it's stupid, crazy, etc. You don't have to say it though.)

I'm going to try to do things the organic way, so can you guys rate my first Pokemon on the team? Constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Note that I don't know much about competitive battling, so don't get so uppity about any stupid choices I made. ><

Cacturne

Lv.100 (or to be, right now it's Lv.53)
Impish Nature
IVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SP DEF (These haven't been carried out, so feel free to change these)
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves: (Feel free to change these as well)
Sandstorm, Swords Dance, Needle Arm, Substitute
Stats: (At the current time; I'm not sure how to calculate Lv.100 stats)
HP: 144
Attack: 143
Defense: 82
Sp. Attack: 123
Sp. Defense: 76
Speed: 72

If someone could also help me on how to calculate IVs, that'd be great.
Old July 13, 2010, 01:49:59 PM
Regigigas

Maybe you should wait for the mighty Tsutajja to come in before you make your ultimate team hahaha
Old July 13, 2010, 01:55:44 PM
Keldeo

Critique get! :>

Oki doke, well first of all sandstorm reaaally ain't too good on cacturne. I mean its good to have a sandstorm active while hes out, but its best to let another one of your team mates set it up rather then wasting a moveset on cacturne. I reccomend Tyranitar or hippodon.

Take sandstorm out and give him sucker punch! This move is so handy if your able to set up a swordsdance. Needle arm really ain't that strong so I reccomend seed bomb in its place.

Also adamant nature > impish nature. Or jolly, but really I don't think cacturne will be outspeeding much. ;3;
Old July 13, 2010, 03:14:35 PM
Kyurem

Cacturne is a monster in the sand, that is clear. Just do not give him
Sandstorm, since you are essentially wasting a moveslot for something another team member can do. A genius set for Cacturne is Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Focus Punch, and Substitute.

You are going to want to get up a Swords Dance up as soon as possible, since it shoots up your attack to an astronomical level. When it comes to Cacturne, prediction is necessary to avoid having deadweight on the team. If you fear that you will be attacked, throw off a Sucker Punch to deal massive damage. If you expect s non-attacking move, get up a Substitute. While behind a Substitute, you can rack up more Swords Dances or fire off Focus Punches on Pokemon like Blissey, Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Suicune.

You are better off running an Adamant nature with a Life Orb or Leftovers, since you need all the raw power you can get. Stealth Rock support is also ideal, to secure certain OHKOs and 2HKOs. Getting rid of Gliscor and Skarmory before trying to use Cacturne is wise, as the two can really ruin your fun.

Last edited by Ditto616; July 13, 2010 at 03:52:47 PM.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Cacturne is a monster in the sand, that is clear. Just do not give him
Sandstorm, since you are essentially wasting a moveslot for something another team member can do. A genius set for Cacturne is Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Focus Punch, and Substitute.

You are going to want to get up a Swords Dance up as soon as possible, since it shoots up your attack to an astronomical level. When it comes to Cacturne, prediction is necessary to avoid having deadweight on the team. If you fear that you will be attacked, throw off a Sucker Punch to deal massive damage. If you expect s non-attacking move, get up a Substitute. While behind a Substitute, you can rack up more Swords Dances or fire off Focus Punches on Pokemon like Blissey, Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Suicune.

You are better off running an Adamant nature with a Life Orb or Leftovers, since you need all the raw power you can get. Stealth Rock support is also ideal, to secure certain OHKOs and 2HKOs. Getting rid of Gliscor and Skarmory before trying to use Cacturne is wise, as the two can really ruin your fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Critique get! :>

Oki doke, well first of all sandstorm reaaally ain't too good on cacturne. I mean its good to have a sandstorm active while hes out, but its best to let another one of your team mates set it up rather then wasting a moveset on cacturne. I reccomend Tyranitar or hippodon.

Take sandstorm out and give him sucker punch! This move is so handy if your able to set up a swordsdance. Needle arm really ain't that strong so I reccomend seed bomb in its place.

Also adamant nature > impish nature. Or jolly, but really I don't think cacturne will be outspeeding much. ;3;
All right, I was debating for a while whether I should have Sucker Punch in or not. I do agree that an adamant nature is a lot better than impish, but I was trying to speed up the process, as finding a Pokemon with the right nature was difficult [I found two Bolds (I think?) and a Brave]. Would you recommend breeding for an Adamant Cacnea, then EV train it with Attack EVs (Also, what is a good source for Attack EVs)? (FYI, I don't know much about breeding either.)

Also, Seed Bomb? I dunno, if I'm going to do an Adamant Cacturne, wouldn't the Sp.Atk loss from nature hinder Seed Bomb's usefulness? It was for that reason I chose Needle Arm as a generic, physical STAB move. (do I need to breed for Seed Bomb?) But I don't remember the Power of Seed Bomb, so I guess it might not (providing a high power).

Focus Punch...why didn't I think of that!? Substitute might make a good cover in the Sandstorm...the boosted evasiveness will make a big difference and reduce the accuracy (making the Substitute last longer?). That's a good suggestion, Alakazamaster.

Life Orb? I thought that that item reduces HP with each it, in exchange for more attack power. With paper-thin defenses, doesn't it need HP to survive? I find Leftovers to be a (possibly) better choice than a Life Orb (Unless someone makes a good case).

I probably won't be using Jolly, as it's already slow as it is, and it's not gonna get much faster. Adamant sounds like a much better idea.

I wasn't sure about the Sp.Def EVs from before, are you sure I should keep those and find a better way to use the remaining 4 EVs (or are there more left to use?).

Thanks Sunny and Alakazamaster. It's nice to know someone actually could help! ^-^

As for anyone else who wants to help, here is the update (changes are in bold):

Cacturne

Adamant Nature
IVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SP DEF? (These haven't been carried out, so feel free to change these)
Focus Punch, Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Substitute
Item: Leftovers (It was Focus Sash before; I forgot to put this part ><)
Old July 13, 2010, 05:15:30 PM
Keldeo

Seed bombs physical bro. ;3
80 base power but 120 with STAB. Sadly yea its an egg move. Ya can get it from brelooms. =w=
If ya don't wanna predict as much go with seed bomb, if your confident you can get up a sub, and focus punch something in the face go with focus punch~! :>

Just be aware that cacturne is a high risk high reward pokemon. Prediction is the key, and he can either be dead weight, or a total monster~!

Last edited by Sunny; July 13, 2010 at 05:17:03 PM.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:19:06 PM

Seed Bomb is a physical attack, and a Move Tutor attack at that. It also has more base power than Needle Arm, if you really wanted another STAB attack. I don't really have more to say. Kaz and Sunny said it all.

Last edited by Ditto616; July 13, 2010 at 05:19:55 PM.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:21:59 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Seed bombs physical bro. ;3
80 base power but 120 with STAB. Sadly yea its an egg move. Ya can get it from brelooms. =w=
If ya don't wanna predict as much go with seed bomb, if your confident you can get up a sub, and focus punch something in the face go with focus punch~! :>

Just be aware that cacturne is a high risk high reward pokemon. Prediction is the key, and he can either be dead weight, or a total monster~!
Yeah, I just realized that. I looked up Seed Bomb and found it to be a Strength variation, so yeah. I'm still debating the use of Seed Bomb; if I can get some more agreeing voices, then I might put in Seed Bomb.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:59:22 PM
Pikachu

Yeah, Seed Bomb is definitely better(in my opinion). But Needle Arm is also useful as it has a flinch rate. So it's up to you to choose which attack you wanted.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM
Kyurem

Depending on what generation your using cacturn in, i could trade you mine that I ev'd already if you want. Its at lv100

Last edited by kakashidragon; March 21, 2011 at 09:32:14 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:26:47 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
I'm trying to make a relatively useful competitive team using one type (it's stupid, crazy, etc. You don't have to say it though.) As long as you have fun, it doesn't matter.

I'm going to try to do things the organic way, so can you guys rate my first Pokemon on the team? Constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Note that I don't know much about competitive battling, so don't get so uppity about any stupid choices I made. ><

Cacturne

Lv.100 (or to be, right now it's Lv.53)
Impish Nature
These are called EV's, not IV's. Effort Values and Individual Values.IVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SP DEF (These haven't been carried out, so feel free to change these)
Sandstorm, Swords Dance, Needle Arm, Substitute I would personally change Needle Arm for Seed Bomb. I assume by running Sandstorm you'll be looking to use a SandStorm team? If this is the case then i would suggest getting rid of Sandstorm for BrickBreak or Sucker Punch as Sandstorm could be set up by Tyranitar. Due to his ability.
Stats: (At the current time; I'm not sure how to calculate Lv.100 stats)
HP: 144 IV - 14
Attack: 143 IV - 31
Defense: 82 IV - 13
Sp. Attack: 123 IV - 20
Sp. Defense: 76 IV - 15
Speed: 72 IV - 18

If someone could also help me on how to calculate IVs, that'd be great.It can be hard to calculate IV's at level 53. But using Marriland IV Calculator I have the following.

Changes are in red.

I hope this helps, if you want to know more on competitive training then don't be afraid to ask.
Old May 16, 2011, 02:02:15 PM
Kyurem

Nice bump like this so old now.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:34:40 PM
Zoroark

Woops my bad, I assumed that being in the top few threads it would be recent. :S Sorry.
Old May 16, 2011, 08:34:59 PM
Kyurem

That's okay. I actually forgot this existed, though. XP

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; May 16, 2011 at 08:35:23 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:43:31 PM
Kyurem

I still have a cacturn thats eved, might not have the ivs you wanted but its eved pretty good its on my 4th gen. game