Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 18, 2010, 07:53:56 PM
Shaymin

Default Battle Animations

Now, as everyone knows, in Pokemon battles, there are animations. Such things as Pokemon moving at the beginning of a battle and showing what moves actually look like are considered "battle animations."

Now, mist people know, but I've heard from a few that they didn't knpw it, you can turn these battle animations off, which could be used to save time. However, what do you guys think? Do you think battle animations should be on or off, and what is your personal preference?
Old May 18, 2010, 07:58:34 PM
Shaymin

I really love the battle animations. The moves aren't that long of a showing(5 seconds MAX) and they don't waste time. Especially in B/W, they're looking awesome. I know they aren't giant graphical achievements, but they normally look really nice and I always like seeing that one move's animation that I didn't see earlier in the game.

I don't find them time-wasting/annoying/uneeded, they're a pretty essential part and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; May 20, 2010 at 08:49:43 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:04:37 PM
Keldeo

If people don't want to that is fine.
In game or while EV training it sounds like it would save alot of time though.

In wifi I keep em on though. Draco meteor is beautiful~! =w= Most visually appealing move in the game~!
Old May 18, 2010, 08:07:33 PM
Kyurem

WHAT? The creation of this thread has caught me by COMPLETE surprise, but I see no reason not to respond to it.

Anyway, for those who don't know, I myself turn off battle animations most of the time. Sure this may seem blasphemous to some of you, but I really do not see what the big deal is (there was an explosion in the Chatbox when I mentioned that I turn off my battle animations). I have no problem with the animations, but sometimes they can just be a bit excessive. I can understand why people would want them on, as to them is makes the playing experience much better, but I just don't care for them. First of all, they aren't that remarkable visually. Some of them like Signal Beam and Psybeam look pretty, but it is not as if I look forward to using them just because of that.

Also, they eventually just make things take longer. For example, in HeartGold and SoulSilver the Radio Tower is chock full of Rocket members with Koffing, Rattata, and Grimer. With such amazing diversity, the moves trainers often face are Sludge, Tackle, Minimize, Hyper Fang, Poison Gas, and Harden. As such, the moves become repetitive and while not enraging to look at, not appealing either. Plus, for people in high school such as myself with somewhat limited free time, I don't want to be wasting it watching my Golbat Bite Koffings that just keep Tackling back, and would rather go through these easy and filler battles.

Another reason I turn off animations is because of the time I spend at the Battle Frontier. I like long winning streaks, so turning off battle animations DRASTICALLY speeds up the process, and I mean DRASTICALLY. The strategy I use take a looooong time, and in a nutshell is around 12 turns of setting up Amnesia, Substitute, and Curse with a Registeel. When doing these streaks, I would rather not take about 3 times longer just because of filler animations such as set-up moves.

Another reason to drop animations: EV TRAINING. The process is tedious enough already, do not make it even longer. At least give yourself that.

Oh dear, that was quite a lot of text. Basically, I can see the appeal of battle animations, but I personally do not mind losing them when it lets me cut out needless filler time.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; May 18, 2010 at 08:08:44 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:01:41 AM
Haxorus

Am I the Black Sheep here?
I love GameFreaks Animation from Gold and Silver to Diamond and Pearl and HG/SS.
And I pied my pants seeing the Black and White Footage.
It has a feeling to me when I see them attack and Stuff.

Sure by EV Training or the Battle Frontier, turning it off saves time.
But I don't care.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:29:12 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingTyranitar View Post
You can turn off the battle animation in every game.So if you turn off the battle animation maybe the movement can be turned off.
We know that. This thread is about whether or you you turn them off or keep them on, and why you do so, and why you think your side is better.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:01:37 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
We know that. This thread is about whether or you you turn them off or keep them on, and why you do so, and why you think your side is better.
Oh,sorry.
I would always turn them on because they are a new feature introduced in the game.So I would keep them on and experience them.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:50:08 PM
Regigigas

I honestly love how (especially in B/W) they've got a totally different moving animation that feels more real than the ones in Battle Revolution. It's not repetitive, its well flowing. I feel that battle animations give out that real-life pokemon feel. I really like the idea.