Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 9, 2010, 05:37:16 AM
Haxorus

Default Older shows vs. New shows

I've this idea for awhile, and was wondering what you gaiz thought. If you have no clue about old(er) TV here are some examples

old vs. new    
 Nickelodean (no NEW episodes in atleast a yeat)
Old New
Ren & Stimpy iCarly
Invader Zim Big Time Rush
Doug Fanboy and ChumChum
Rocko's Modern Life BrainSurge (but it DOES have some classic elements to it)
Hey Arnold~!!!! True Jackson VP
Jimmy Neutron Penguins of Madagascar
Rugrats Victorious

CN    
older (no new episodes in atleast a year)   Newer
Johnny Bravo *shudder* the Total Drama series
Cow and Chicken Ben 10 Alien Force
PPG Unnatural History
GAoBaM Generator Rex
Courage the Cowardly Dog Dude, what would happen?
FHfIF Destroy Build Destroy
Edd, Ed, & Eddy 6Teen
Evil Con Carne Stoked
Camp Lazlo The Super Hero Squad Show
KND Johnny Test
My Gym Partner's a Monkey Hot Wheels Battle Force 5
the older Ben 10 Bakugan

(PS I left out the shows I like here)

If you read all that, tell me what you think in comparison. Also, I'm not saying that I don't like these shows, I just think that they're meh.

Last edited by blueumbreon; July 12, 2010 at 03:47:50 AM.
Old July 9, 2010, 05:41:09 AM
Giratina

inb4kanto

You should have used a table for that.

Also... I like the old shows, but there are still some new ones I like.

Like iCarly.

Ok maybe that's the only one I like, but you get it.
Old July 9, 2010, 05:47:20 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post

Also... I like the old shows, but there are still some new ones I like.

Like iCarly.
Agreed, Forgot to state that up there~

Last edited by blueumbreon; July 9, 2010 at 05:49:08 AM.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:30:10 AM
Regigigas

Fist of the North Star is better then that new anime krap. Wish they would bring that old anime back.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:54:38 PM
Floatzel

Older shows. Sometimes, it can also apply to older episodes of a long-running show, like SpongeBob, but generally I like the older shows better. There are a few new shows, like iCarly and Avatar The Last Airbender (I know it's 2007, but it's too new to be "old"), but those are few and far between.

Invader Zim, Code: Lyoko, and the Kanto arc of Pokémon were such good shows... then they ruined it with new shows pushing into their timeslots and forcing them off the network.
Old July 9, 2010, 02:25:13 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFreak View Post
Code: Lyoko
Marry me. Now.
Old July 9, 2010, 09:25:40 PM
Regigigas

You're being unfair. Yes there are bad shows now. There were bad shows then.

I notice in the Cartoon Network section you didn't mention Chowder, Flapjack, or Adventure time. All of those are good. Plus Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry shouldn't count since they are not really cartoon network shows, they're REALLY old.

This section is called DEBATE. Don't skew the views to one side in the first post.

Having said all of that, yes, Nickelodeon does kind of suck now. Though I don't know why you put Wayside in the old section. That's a fairly new show. And I think it sucks, but clearly you don't, since you put it in the old section.
Old July 10, 2010, 04:06:03 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
You're being unfair. Yes there are bad shows now. There were bad shows then.
Compared to the new shows, most of the old shows were good.
I notice in the Cartoon Network section you didn't mention Chowder, Flapjack, or Adventure time. All of those are good.
These are all opinions. And my opinion states that those shows suck. Hard.
Plus Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry shouldn't count since they are not really cartoon network shows, they're REALLY old.
I've seen them on CN countless times. Besides, the channels are irrelevant other than organization.
This section is called DEBATE. Don't skew the views to one side in the first post.
Boo hoo. Obviously you've never been in a real debate. You need to skew the facts in order to continue it.
Having said all of that, yes, Nickelodeon does kind of suck now. Though I don't know why you put Wayside in the old section. That's a fairly new show. And I think it sucks, but clearly you don't, since you put it in the old section.
I guess he's saying that if it's good it's old???
Read bold plz.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:46:59 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
Compared to the new shows, most of the old shows were good.
I personally didn't like a lot of the old shows, ie, Cow and Chicken, Ren and Stimpy. And that doesn't even count the really terrible shows, like say The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, or The Super Mario Brother Show.
These are all opinions. And my opinion states that those shows suck. Hard.
Yes, But HE left them out because HE likes them, he's skewing his own opinion
I've seen them on CN countless times. Besides, the channels are irrelevant other than organization.
And Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry are STILL on Cartoon Network, so if you can count them as old you can count them as new.
Boo hoo. Obviously you've never been in a real debate. You need to skew the facts in order to continue it.
Geesh, cynic much? I don't think that is the point of the debate. Debate is reasoned argument using actual facts.
I guess he's saying that if it's good it's old???
Which is the problem with this argument. Wayside is new. It's very new. But he puts it in the old section because he likes it. He only wants the views to go one way.
Look. I agree that there are plenty of bad shows now. But you know what? A generation before us would argue that the shows WE watched were bad and that THEIR shows were better. There's always a nostalgia factor preventing us from seeing how bad shows really are, and thinking the new shows are bad simply because they're not directed at us anymore. Take off your tinted glasses and look at things reasonably.

Last edited by Sableyed; July 10, 2010 at 09:47:26 AM.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:22:11 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Look. I agree that there are plenty of bad shows now. But you know what? A generation before us would argue that the shows WE watched were bad and that THEIR shows were better. There's always a nostalgia factor preventing us from seeing how bad shows really are, and thinking the new shows are bad simply because they're not directed at us anymore. Take off your tinted glasses and look at things reasonably.
You know what? I would agree that the generation before mine had great shows.

Scooby Doo? Amazing.
Flintstones and Jetsons? Classics.

Even speed racer was good if you ignore the way they talked...

The fact is, today's shows are crap. They have b-team storywriters, the cartoons practically made in flash, and each newer one looks like a cookie cutter of the last one.

I'm not biased because they're new... I'm biased because they're crap. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; July 10, 2010 at 10:22:47 AM.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:53:13 AM
Regigigas

Frankly, I hate the Jetsons and the Flintstones. Hanna Barbara had lazy animation and it's plots weren't very good, the only one I really liked was Top Cat.

I like shows in the 90s and early 00s because that's when I was a kid, so the shows were directed at me. I don't watch the new shows because they aren't directed at me, but I still think we should give them a fair chance.

It's like Twilight. Now, I really don't like Twilight, but you know what? It's not directed at me, it's directed at a completely different audience. Hating Twilight is like hating Barney, it was never intended for you anyway. And really, among the terrible genre that is teen romance, Twilight has got to be one of the better ones, or it wouldn't be so popular.

I say look at things outside your own views. I don't watch many CN or Nicktoons shows anymore, but by talking with people who do I can generally get a consensus of what's good. iCarly, Phineas and Ferb, Chowder, Flapjack, these are all good shows. Occasionally something will even appeal to me, like Avatar or Batman: The Brave and The Bold.
Old July 10, 2010, 03:20:06 PM
Volcarona

I have to agree with Sable on this, I do like Chowder, Flapjack, or Adventure Time, or even Batman: The brave and the bold. I have to say old shows are better though. I miss Courage the cowardly dog or Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Those were great. But, my opinion matters as much as the next guy.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:09:06 AM
Shaymin

The thing I see about newer shows, is that they tend to either try to do celebrity cameos, or they move towards the toilet humor.
I'd much prefer old shows, but...time moves on. :C
Old July 28, 2010, 07:53:10 AM
Keldeo

the older shows were nice, the new ones have their storylines, not all shows have to be the same, but open minded and you might not think their stupid. Personally I hate Gross Shows.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:36:18 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFreak View Post
Older shows. Sometimes, it can also apply to older episodes of a long-running show, like SpongeBob, but generally I like the older shows better. There are a few new shows, like iCarly and Avatar The Last Airbender (I know it's 2007, but it's too new to be "old"), but those are few and far between.

Invader Zim, Code: Lyoko, and the Kanto arc of Pokémon were such good shows... then they ruined it with new shows pushing into their timeslots and forcing them off the network.
Invader Zim was one of my favorite show's as well as Code:Lyoko, I prefer old show's.
Old August 5, 2010, 09:32:08 PM
Volcarona

I think for cartoonetwork, you should have accounted for Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam, Zoids, and other shows like that considering that was a big thing for them. Although, Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory were also popular back then. I think it all depends on the network though because I prefer some new cartoons on some networks and old ones on others. As mentioned earlier, I also enjoyed watching Code Lyoko. What a show! Anyway, it is clear that I am going for the older shows.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:49:40 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
The thing I see about newer shows, is that they tend to either try to do celebrity cameos, or they move towards the toilet humor.
I'd much prefer old shows, but...time moves on. :C
Exactly what I was going to say. Especally for Disney Channel. Back then Mickey was one of the most popular cartoon characters, now he's shoved in Playhouse Disney with Miley Cyrus replacing him. They could've at least kept him like he was and just made some kind of sub-show or something for Playhouse Disney so everyone can hear Donald's hillarious gibberish and whatnot.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:56:17 PM
Haxorus

well old shows are good but tend to be ridiculous, and new shows have celebrity cameo's and are in hd/ better animation but tend to be stupid. so i'm going to say old are better
Old November 11, 2010, 03:10:27 PM
Kyurem

I find older shows (cartoons in this case) a lot more appealing because they didn't have to "dumb down" their content or make every single joke understandable and at the bare minimum.

For example, amazing cartoons like Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain made tons of references to some things children wouldn't get, but that made them so much more appealing. Nearly anyone could watch the shows and get a kick out of it because of how it was able to appeal to all age groups.

From what I have seen on TV these days, cartoons seem to have lost their charm and wit and just seem interested in milking the cash cow or pulling some cheap jokes.