Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 9, 2010, 03:40:20 PM
Shaymin

Default Floridian priest plans to burn the Qu'ran on 9/11/2010

Well, according to this news article I saw, the event in question has been called off, but I want to explain what had happened so far:

Pastor Terry Jones of Gainesville, Florida has stated that he would burn copies of the Muslim holy book (the Qu'ran or Koran) on the ninth anniversary of September 11th.

Here's a few more links: (VIEW THESE BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING THAT MIGHT POSSIBLY SOUND RACIST/DISCRIMINATORY/OTHERWISE STUPID.)

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/declas...ng-threat.html

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/09/h...-burnings.html

My opinion: I really don't think this guy should be doing this. I mean, sure a mosque was going to be built near Ground Zero (and the only real problem with that is that the choice of location was taken into question) and they have the right to do that. He has the right to burn these books as well (protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution) but seriously. This is ridiculous. Those books hold spiritual and religious values to members of the Islamic faith and you're just going to torch them? I might as well burn a copy or two of the Bible. Not that I'd do that, mind you, but that's my point; you're more or less raegquitting and lumping all Muslims into the pot of "Muslims who are terrorist". I'm pretty sure this is what got us into this mess in the first place: the tolerance (or apparent lack thereof) of other religions.

Now I want to hear your opinions. Remember, use reason to back up your comments and posts; anything that might be considered derogatory or offensive will be deleted.

(also fun fact Eid Mubarak starts like, tomorrow, and for those who don't know what it is Google it or Wiki it)
Old September 9, 2010, 03:43:20 PM
Shaymin

Lite, you're a little late: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...c1_lnk1|169523
Old September 9, 2010, 03:47:08 PM
Celebi

I heard about this today. I was really confused at first, but this looks like some kind of hate crime. =/ I think the church has only 15 members too. And what would this really prove? That America is some ignorant, evil force that wants to take over the world? That's how I'd see it. Sure, Muslims hijacked planes and killed thousands of people, but that was just a few radical-religious morons. It doesn't mean that all of them are evil. That's just profiling a race based on the actions of a few members.
Old September 9, 2010, 03:49:12 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
If you read the first link in the opening post you'd see that the mosque wasn't actually going to be moved, so this link is actually slightly older than the current news.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; September 9, 2010 at 03:49:31 PM.
Old September 9, 2010, 03:53:09 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
If you read the first link in the opening post you'd see that the mosque wasn't actually going to be moved, so this link is actually slightly older than the current news.
Besides, I wouldn't rely on AOL for my news. D:
Old September 9, 2010, 03:53:48 PM
Giratina

This is by far the worst thing to do in this situation. The Islamic people of America are only trying to make peace by building a temple for the attonement of their sins on the ground where their own people made the greatest sin of all. Him doing this will only further prove to them that America does not welcome Muslims, giving radical islam even more fuel for their fires.
Old September 10, 2010, 03:17:56 AM
Giratina

Yes, by American rules and laws, that priest has a right to burn the Quran. But is this really necessary? Does it make sense for someone to burn a holy book which is of unmatched importance to a spiritual group? I mean, I'm 100% sure this is the exact type of thing which would aggravate the American-Middle eastern relations in general. Also, aren't priests supposed to be religious people who call for peace and love between people of different races, backgrounds and religions? That's a really surprising action of him.

Also, it's interesting to mention that the Quran glorifies Jesus and Mary by mentioning them and their miracles numerous times. By burning the Quran, that guy would also be burning all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Henge View Post
I heard about this today. I was really confused at first, but this looks like some kind of hate crime. =/ I think the church has only 15 members too. And what would this really prove? That America is some ignorant, evil force that wants to take over the world? That's how I'd see it. Sure, Muslims hijacked planes and killed thousands of people, but that was just a few radical-religious morons. It doesn't mean that all of them are evil. That's just profiling a race based on the actions of a few members.
Good post, Jason. However, I gotta point out that there was no solid evidence to show that Muslims were the ones behind the 9/11 incident. And even if they were, then it's very important to note that it was a group of extremists who do not even follow the proper teachings of Islam.

Last edited by Shadow; September 10, 2010 at 03:20:01 AM.
Old September 10, 2010, 03:19:23 AM
Rayquaza

Thank you Lite, and Eid Mubarak as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is dangerous in so many ways. The US has got its soldiers in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where actual terrorists live there. If this happens, the terrorists are going to take this as an excuse and start causing bloody crimes in Europe and US, not to mention Afghanistan and Pakistan themselves. Oh, and also Iraq.

Apart from that, I don't understand why some people want to build fences between the religions. If he does what he is thinking of, I am afraid that some ignorant Muslims will come and burn a Bible, which is really bad and will cause hatred.

There should be a rule in this world not to include religions in the war of politics. :\
Old September 10, 2010, 03:23:21 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
This is dangerous in so many ways. The US has got its soldiers in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where actual terrorists live there. If this happens, the terrorists are going to take this as an excuse and start causing bloody crimes in Europe and US, not to mention Afghanistan and Pakistan themselves. Oh, and also Iraq.

Apart from that, I don't understand why some people want to build fences between the religions. If he does what he is thinking of, I am afraid that some ignorant Muslims will come and burn a Bible, which is really bad and will cause hatred.
Exactly. These kind of actions will only cause more hatred and war in the world, which is the last thing we want :/
Old September 10, 2010, 04:03:36 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Good post, Jason. However, I gotta point out that there was no solid evidence to show that Muslims were the ones behind the 9/11 incident. And even if they were, then it's very important to note that it was a group of extremists who do not even follow the proper teachings of Islam.
I know, but I don't know what else to call them. =/ Until we know for sure, I guess Muslims will have to take the blame.

@SoT: This is why it pays to be unreligious. As shocking as this is to everyone... I'm very uneffected. Someone mentions Bible burning, I shrug. I know it's hugely important, but it is just a symbol. It's not like it's destroying the faith itself.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; September 10, 2010 at 10:48:22 AM. Reason: Serious means no sarcasm or jokes.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:10:09 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Henge View Post
I know, but I don't know what else to call them. =/ Until we know for sure, I guess Muslims will have to take the blame.

@SoT: This is why it pays to be unreligious. As shocking as this is to everyone... I'm very uneffected. Someone mentions Bible burning, I shrug. I know it's hugely important, but it is just a symbol. It's not like it's destroying the faith itself.
Since it is the symbol of the faith, many people will get insulted.

Anyway, the priest said today that he won't do any burning for some reason that I don't know.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:13:23 AM
Giratina

It was most likely a publicity stunt. Either that or he is only saying that to get the media off his back, which I doubt.
Old September 10, 2010, 01:53:23 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
It was most likely a publicity stunt. Either that or he is only saying that to get the media off his back, which I doubt.
Yeah. I'm sure the KKK just wants some media buzz too. >_>

Quote:
Since it is the symbol of the faith, many people will get insulted.
Of course. They think if they burn the bible of another faith, it'll score them points with their god. xD I'm just glad it was in FL and not some real Southern state.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; September 10, 2010 at 02:26:44 PM.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:55:55 PM
Shaymin

There was a bunch of talk about this in our History class (we discuss politics in there as well as world history) and our teacher said that although he does have the right to do it since he's protected by the law of free speech to do so, it's still incredibly offensive to those of the Islamic faith.

He supposedly called it off because they were "moving" the mosque being built near Ground Zero, but... they weren't, so he's still probably going to go through with it.

This is why the Middle East (when you consider the extremist Muslim groups) hates us, there's just a bunch of random people here and there who are complete ass-holes.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:59:27 PM
Celebi

So... Is this debate over?
Old September 10, 2010, 06:00:42 PM
Shaymin

Well we don't know what's going to actually happen, so unless anyone else has a say....
Old September 10, 2010, 06:08:04 PM
Celebi

We'll know tomorrow, I guess.

Hey. I just thought of this. Couldn't this guy be seen as a domestic terrorist? Obviously this stunt is causing an uproar. He knows the people he's pissing off will fight back somehow.
Old September 10, 2010, 06:17:18 PM
Shaymin

I don't actually think he realizes other people are going to cause an uproar over this.
Old September 11, 2010, 11:07:12 AM
Haxorus

First off, it's NOT going to be a mosque. Please read for your own, not taking word from Glenn Beck. :l

It's going to be a "religious information and understanding" center, dedicated to tie bonds between Middle Eastern and Western [Christian] faiths. It's going to fail still, but it's not going to be a mosque.

Secondly, can anyone say 9/11 the second?

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; September 11, 2010 at 11:46:38 AM.
Old September 11, 2010, 02:14:31 PM
Shaymin

I don't actually watch FOX News, Tom, nor do I want to after their raegquit about *****. And if it wasn't a mosque people wouldn't be pissed off about it, hence this guy burning Qu'rans.
Old September 11, 2010, 03:16:47 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
First off, it's NOT going to be a mosque. Please read for your own, not taking word from Glenn Beck. :l

It's going to be a "religious information and understanding" center, dedicated to tie bonds between Middle Eastern and Western [Christian] faiths. It's going to fail still, but it's not going to be a mosque.
How come EVERY news report I saw about this issue mentioned it as 'mosque' and not what you said? Also, how can you say it's going to fail even before it's built yet? It's always better to be more optimistic, you know :/
Old September 11, 2010, 05:45:50 PM
Haxorus

Because nobody's understanding of another anymore. Humanity as a whole is independently self-hating. Christians hate everyone, Muslims hate everyone, it's all typical of the human disease.

And it's not going to be a mosque. That was a lie perpetrated by Obama-naysayers to drive votes away from the less-intelligent individuals.

And that dude burning the Qu'Ran is an egotistical Christian extremest. Just like the guys who boarded those four planes on 9/11, but much less frontal. Instead of bringing Hell to those who would otherwise harm his family, he'll spit on their name and burn their precious book. :l

He is the spark that will ignite yet another confrontation between America and the Muslim population.

I sincerely hope he fails.

Last edited by .name//Technomancer; September 11, 2010 at 05:46:11 PM.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:56:57 AM
Celebi

What's the news on the mosque?

Since it's the 12th now, does this mean the guy didn't do it? I didn't see anything about this hate crime on the news or in news flash.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:06:36 AM
Rayquaza

Yes. That man didn't burn anything, and in order not to turn this topic into another one, the thread is going to be closed.
Old October 11, 2010, 09:42:58 PM
Shaymin

Epic bump. This issue was resolved a while ago, but I found out that its results were quite memetic.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dude-you-have-no-quran

Just thought people who were interested might want to know.

That and this is the only damn Serious Debate topic I still see in this board.