Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction > Music and Audio

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 16, 2012, 04:47:44 PM

Default Reun's Remixes

Hey everyone, I recently learned how to remix and I love doing it. ^^
I don't want to post my first remix here, since it wasn't all that good (), so I'll just start off with my second remix and continue from there. If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to leave them here :]

1st (Technically 2nd) Remix: Golden Sun: Venus Lighthouse
Golden Sun: Venus Lighthouse Remix    

Here's the mp3! venus lighthouse remix_SysAudio.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 08:15:21 PM.
Old July 16, 2012, 05:47:35 PM
Charizard

This is awesome, please keep doing them!
Old July 17, 2012, 10:53:01 AM

Here's my 2nd remix. I tried remixing Gusty Gulch this time ^^. Besides being unable to find a good flute or trumpet, I think it sounds okay.

Paper Mario: Gusty Gulch Remix    

And the mp3~ gusty gulch remix_SysAudio.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:00:09 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 04:06:18 PM
Administrator

Hm, a vital track is either missing or is misrepresented. I kinda get the feeling you either used a poor choice of instrument or MIDI source.
Old July 18, 2012, 01:15:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Hm, a vital track is either missing or is misrepresented. I kinda get the feeling you either used a poor choice of instrument or MIDI source.
I blame the MIDI for that. I think the file was missing a section for the castanets or another guitar. <: D

Anyway, I have my 3rd remix now of Bowletta's theme. This was a pretty simple remix overall, as not a lot of instruments are used in this theme.
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga: Bowletta Battle Remix    

Finally got the mp3~ bowletta remix_SysAudio.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:02:03 PM.
Old July 18, 2012, 05:29:37 PM
Giratina

My new official favorite is DEFINITELY the Bowletta Battle. Even thought most of my love for is from the fact that this is one of my favorite battle themes from the game, but man, that BASS~ Take my heart awaaaaay! You're doing great, Suicune! : D
Old July 18, 2012, 06:51:41 PM
Administrator

Hm, this one actually sounds pretty sweet. I think the percussion, particularly the high-hat, may be a little too loud, though.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:18:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
My new official favorite is DEFINITELY the Bowletta Battle. Even thought most of my love for is from the fact that this is one of my favorite battle themes from the game, but man, that BASS~ Take my heart awaaaaay! You're doing great, Suicune! : D
*chuckles* Thanks Turt, I'm glad you like my remixes. ^^

Quote:
Hm, this one actually sounds pretty sweet. I think the percussion, particularly the high-hat, may be a little too loud, though.
I'm glad you like this one too. :3 I also need to learn how to control the volume on my remixes; for some reason FL Studio makes it complicated.

Anyway, here is my next remix. Very few people have probably ever heard of this song, but I thought the boss theme from Lufia II was a good enough song to deserve a remix. ^^
Lufia II: Boss Theme Remix    

Got the mp3 right here! lufia 2 boss theme_SysAudio.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:07:49 PM.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:27:00 AM
Shaymin

I like it. The only thing that I would like more of are crescendos and decrescendosI do think it is lacking a little of lower tones. Maybe I am missing them but your last on was a little high.
Old July 19, 2012, 05:54:04 PM
Administrator

This might be really odd, but I actually recognize the song, but I have not played Lufia II. I blame being with a bunch of game remixers before VR.

As for the remix itself, it sounds pretty decent. Again, the electronic high-hats are too loud.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:35:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
I like it. The only thing that I would like more of are crescendos and decrescendosI do think it is lacking a little of lower tones. Maybe I am missing them but your last on was a little high.
Yes I did notice that this remix has a lot of high tones. I'll probably be looking to make sure I have an equal amount of higher and lower tones.

Quote:
This might be really odd, but I actually recognize the song, but I have not played Lufia II. I blame being with a bunch of game remixers before VR.

As for the remix itself, it sounds pretty decent. Again, the electronic high-hats are too loud.
This only proves that I need to learn which instruments are which. I did notice that the volume of the percussion on my remixes tends to be an issue, so I'll be looking out for that in the future. (Unfortunately some of the remixes I've already made have loud percussion....notably my Route 104 remix which I should be posting here soon)

My next remix is the Shiver Mountain theme from Paper Mario. I had fun playing with the drums and bells in this one.
Paper Mario: Shiver Mountain Remix    

Provided an mp3! Shiver Mountain FINAL.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:10:36 PM.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:47:39 PM
Administrator

The bells at the beginning are a bit too loud while the ambience pad (which plays at the same time at the beginning) is too quiet. The overwhelming sound around 50 seconds in is a bit drowning, as well. The looping transition at 1:49 is far too sudden.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 19, 2012 at 08:48:50 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:03:17 PM

Quote:
The bells at the beginning are a bit too loud while the ambience pad (which plays at the same time at the beginning) is too quiet. The overwhelming sound around 50 seconds in is a bit drowning, as well. The looping transition at 1:49 is far too sudden.
I just learned how to control the volume on the studio I use, so I probably won't have too many of those problems anymore. As for the looping, I blame Camtasia for making it difficult to loop songs. =w=

This is going to be my last remix for a while, I figured I should probably try to learn more about instruments before manipulating them in a remix. This one is a remix of Tin Tower, hopefully it doesn't sound too weird...

Pokemon GSC: Tin Tower Remix    

mp3 link! Tin Tower (Better 2).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:15:02 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:05:23 PM
Administrator

The lead definitely does not fit the song style. Most of the other instruments seem appropriate for the traditional Japanese feel of the composition, particularly the shamisen. The open hat could possibly be replaced with something like a tambourine.

Again, the loop cut is misaligned.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 20, 2012 at 09:05:53 PM.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
Volcarona

Between 1:21 and 1:22 is where the song breaks in it's loop. I like the majority of everything about that remix, but Cat has summed up my thoughts about the remix's slight shortcomings. You did do an excellent job otherwise, Reuniclus.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:15:32 PM
Volcarona

I'll agree with Fuzzles and say that a Tambourine would be more fitting than that rather high-pitched hi-hat. x3 I would perhaps try to suggest to start playing with various instruments, like you don't have to use the same instrument for the lead through the full song. When I first started this on my own remixes so long ago, it's when I really started to make improvement when someone suggested that to me. And now I'm doing that for you. ;3 Copy/Paste is your friend for now.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:21:26 PM
Shaymin

At 1:23 there was a... Lag... and the rest of it was off beat from the rest. But I do like it though.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:32:42 PM
Giratina

While that does sound really sweet, you gotta choose. Full on traditional Japanese or Techno House music? You're trying to make a cool blend of all North sided magnets, but I still think you did a good job... aside from that LOOP.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:54:36 PM

After being gone for a few weeks, I began experimenting more with FL Studio. I'm only going to be uploading 4 that I think are somewhat decent. If you have any thoughts or comments, feel free to post them. ^_^

Pokemon Pinball: Blue Field Remix    

Pokemon TCG: Grandmaster Duel Remix    

Pokemon RSE: Verdanturf Town Remix    

Final Fantasy IX: Airship Theme Remix    

I got the mp3s right here:
Blue Table Pinball.mp3
Grandmaster Remix 1.mp3
Verdanturf Remix.mp3
FF9 Last AIRSHIP.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:21:41 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
Administrator

Hm, all of these have very similar feels. I think it's in the instrument set you're using.

The Blue Table is pretty average. Nothing much to say about it. It's not bad, just kind of bland.

Grandmaster...oh boy. There's really something messed up in the instrument selection here. That lead that starts at the very beginning of the song lacks much tonality, meaning it's hard to tell exactly what note it's supposed to be. As the supporting bass track, this leaves a lot of missing space in the lower frequencies. Needs significant revision.

The source MIDI file on the Verdanturf one is, frankly, not built correctly for what you want to do. I think I may actually know the exact MIDI you used. The strings are all messed up because of it. There's an abrupt stopper note (built for sound systems to immediately drop the volume rather than allow it to fade out), particularly audible around 6-10 seconds. The echoing due to this absolutely does not fit the song's style. The plucked instrument starting about 13 seconds in makes up for it, though, and feels quite pleasing to the ears. I'm not too fond of your usage of the piano, though. Try promoting it to a more prominent track.

Airship is pretty good. No complaints here beyond overuse of the synthesized strings and the reverb being a little too high.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 9, 2012 at 12:09:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old August 9, 2012, 10:07:31 PM
Shaymin

Pinball: I like the spacey dings in the back :3 I also like how you id this for me.
TCG: Hmmm. It is heavy in a good way. I would say it there seems to be a lot of things happening. And it was really cramming my head when the melody came in. I will add that the melody was a little bit loud.
Verd: This is nice and sweet. To be picky... It was a bit too slurry. And not sloppy but... (I cant think of a word...) Echoy? I also think you could have ended it better. Like with a chord of something.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:49:29 AM

Here's one of my newest remixes that I made yesterday. I really like remixing Golden Sun themes. Be sure to comment and give your thoughts about this one so that I can improve.

Golden Sun: Tolbi-Bound Ship Remix    

Got the mp3 here: Tolbi Bound Ship Remix.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:25:53 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:39:57 AM
Administrator

Now that's much better than your previous few! No real complaints from me on this one. The lead instrument starting at 1:07 could use a little more attack (the beginning of the note, which determines how "sharply" it presents itself), but it's otherwise pretty good.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:01:09 PM
Volcarona

You've done an excellent job on this remix! The percussion is really nice! It gets even better at around 1:46 (the only thing I think you needed to do after that was take the percussion from that point in the video, and layer it on the MIDI drums afterwards; it would've really tied the remix together)! Nice choice of instruments and everything, too. Great work!

Last edited by GalliumGrant; August 20, 2012 at 01:01:16 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:51:18 PM

Thanks, both of you. ^^ I tend to do better with Golden Sun remixes for some reason....
My most recent remix is a battle theme (I'm not good with battle themes in general). I probably could've chosen some better instruments for this one, so please be sure to give suggestions or comments.
Golden Sun: Battle Theme Remix    

I also got the mp3 here: Golden Sun Battle Theme Remix.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:27:13 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:59:49 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Thanks, both of you. ^^ I tend to do better with Golden Sun remixes for some reason....
My most recent remix is a battle theme (I'm not good with battle themes in general). I probably could've chosen some better instruments for this one, so please be sure to give suggestions or comments.
Golden Sun: Battle Theme Remix    
I'm glad to hear you're experimenting with your instruments! You're definitly improving from your previous remixes, I can tell. My only suggestion would be to try and acquire new instruments or samples so you have more options to play with~! Keep up the great work, Reu!
Old August 20, 2012, 05:09:30 PM
Administrator

Ooh, gotta love that guitar! Again, I can barely think of anything wrong. The square wave is a little soft, but it's great!
Old August 20, 2012, 06:10:58 PM
Volcarona

All it needs is some percussion. Other than that, perfect! You're getting much better. :3
Old August 21, 2012, 06:46:47 PM
Zoroark

These are doing really great!
The only problems I have are just 2 that irk me.
1: Where exactly is the timpani in Tolbi-Bound Ship? That always got me ready in-game, it just seemed off.
2: (This is definitely just me) it seems that the basslines a just a tiny bit too loud in comparison to the lead/lead is too soft. Either way, I still think they're really good!
Old August 25, 2012, 08:14:41 PM

Here's my most recent remix. I'm just going to say this right now: This one was DIFFICULT. This is probably just as bad as my first remix (and that's pretty bad :S)

Any suggestions will be useful at this point. I feel like I could've done better with the instrument selection.
Pokemon Black and White: Gym Leader Battle Remix    

I also got the mp3 link: Pokemon Black and White Gym Leader Remix.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:28:53 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 08:18:27 PM
Administrator

The poweful hits of the original are missing. This song lacks most of the original's "power" overall. It feels a bit more mellow and suiting for, perhaps, a simple rival, rather than a serious gym leader. The lead needs to be sharp and outstanding. The synth lead you chose sounds a bit soft. 7/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 25, 2012 at 08:18:42 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 08:22:21 PM
Volcarona

This is actually REALLY good! Perfect tempo, nice choice of instruments... that was multiple steps up from your last remix. My favourite so far! My only gripe are the toms around 1:36. The sound too much like kicks. I think you should've used the ones from the MIDI drumset or the ones from the FPC Plug-In. Also 2:27, you have a minor pattern looping issue. Also, Cat could be very right with his post, too. The overall tune needs more "oomph". Other than that, perfect! Nice job, Reun! You're getting way better!

Last edited by GalliumGrant; August 25, 2012 at 08:23:23 PM.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:51:08 PM
Giratina

First off, it doesn't suck. It's actually really good. Nice and upbeat and the bass is still pulling it along. Buuuut...
Some parts are really soft when they need to be louder than the rest of the song and stand out. Like the bass. It's good, but it can get better, if you get get what I mean. And around 1:20, the drums could use more rolling action. If that's not a good way to describe, blame me for not being a percussion person.
But I loved your instrument choice and the general way you did the song as a whole. I might play it as background music when I take on (and lose the against) the VRGL
Old August 27, 2012, 07:40:06 PM

Hey guys, this isn't really a remix, but instead more of a remastering of an OC that my good friend GalliumGrant made. Technically, this specific song is the theme song that he made for me. I did get permission from him to remaster this theme: "I, GalliumGrant, give Reuniclus of Victory Road permission to post dis chune." Hope you like this one; be sure to give feedback.

Jell-O Jam (GalliumGrant's OC [Remastered])    

And the last of my mp3 attachments for today~ Jello Jam (For Gallium).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 14, 2012 at 09:31:48 PM.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:43:43 PM
Administrator

Hm, not bad. The sounds starting around 19 seconds fade too slowly and tend to overlap a lot. It sounds decent for the most part, but there are a few parts, like around the key changes, that it gets a little strange. I'm not too fond with the sound of the metal drums (hi-hats and cymbols). The guitar around 1:27 kicks in quite decently, but it's a litle soft. Otherwise, very nice. 8/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 27, 2012 at 08:18:47 PM. Reason: Cymbol, not symbol
Old September 5, 2012, 06:31:16 PM

Here's a new remix! It's been about a week since my last one (school is getting pretty tough for me, so I don't have a lot of free time).
I literally could not find a proper instrument for the one starting at 0:16, it was pretty frustrating. Other than the faulty instrument choice there, I hope you guys like this one. ^^ (I'll also provide the mp3)

Miracle Matter Remix Better.mp3
Kirby 64: Miracle Matter Remix    

Last edited by Reuniclus; September 5, 2012 at 08:25:53 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:22:04 PM
Administrator

THE VOLUME. YOU MUST WATCH IT.

4/10.

Edit: MP3 sounds a bit sharper on the high tones. Still, read above.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 5, 2012 at 08:28:22 PM.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:25:35 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Here's a new remix! It's been about a week since my last one (school is getting pretty tough for me, so I don't have a lot of free time).
I literally could not find a proper instrument for the one starting at 0:16, it was pretty frustrating. Other than the faulty instrument choice there, I hope you guys like this one. ^^ (I'll also provide the mp3)

Attachment 3785
Kirby 64: Miracle Matter Remix    
Needs more percussion and EQ as well as panning for a more stereo sound. But I do like the synths you used for that bass melody in this song. I always enjoyed this song because of how dark it was. Keep it up though, Reu!
Old September 18, 2012, 05:23:37 PM

Here's my newest remix; another Golden Sun song. I don't think this one is my best, since I think I could do better on the lead. Anyways, enjoy~ I'll also include the mp3. ^^
EDIT: I suggest listening to the mp3 instead of the video. Youtube messed the audio up a little. >_>
Golden Sun TLA: Battle Theme Remix    

Golden Sun TLA Battle Theme Remix.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; September 18, 2012 at 05:28:20 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:06:34 AM

Just finished another remix. This one was quite simple compared to all the others; only taking me around 20 minutes.
Golden Sun TLA: Mars Lighthouse Remix    

And like always, I'll provide the mp3
Mars Lighthouse Remix.mp3
Old September 30, 2012, 10:11:54 AM
Volcarona

It's very good, but it needs some nice electronic percussion to go along with those synths.
7/10 for me.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:25:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalliumGrant View Post
It's very good, but it needs some nice electronic percussion to go along with those synths.
7/10 for me.
I put a lot more percussion into this remix. :3 Here's one that I actually feel like I did a good job making. haha

Pokemon FR/LG: Gym Leader Remix    

And also the mp3 (which might sound better):
Kanto Gym Leader Remix.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; September 30, 2012 at 02:29:29 PM. Reason: Changing the name of the remix since Eagles is right :P
Old September 30, 2012, 02:06:12 PM
Haxorus

Sounds amazing, but it has more of a FR/LG feel than a R/B/Y feel, so you might wanna rename it. Also needs a tad more originality, in my opinion. Sorry about bein' picky. :I 8/10

Last edited by Eagles; September 30, 2012 at 02:18:34 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:37:34 PM
Administrator

GSTLA Battle: Pretty decent. Drums don't really fit, though. 8.5/10.

Mars Lighthouse: A little too much bass, and the instrument choice doesn't feel like it fits the theme too well. 7.5/10.

Kanto Gym Leader: The drums are practically ruined. Wearing headphones can cause major spacial disorientation, which distracts from the song itself. Far too much sawtooth lead. 5/10.

Quote:
always

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 30, 2012 at 05:38:58 PM.
Old October 4, 2012, 02:00:41 PM

Here is my Halloween special remix. I must thank LD for showing me how to incorporate more instruments into FL Studio, it helped a lot during this remix. The MIDI I used for this remix was...interesting. Something about was catchy to me ahaha.
This remix is dedicated to Eagles, hope you enjoy this one, buddy. :3

Pokemon RBY: Lavender Town Remix    

You can also download the mp3 if you want to listen to it in higher quality: Lavender Town Remix (Part 3).mp3
Old October 4, 2012, 02:31:20 PM
Volcarona

This remix is good. Thanks to the usage of those kicks, the song picks up a little better at 2:39. The sound is clean, all the instruments have good volume, the tempo loops properly... but it gets slightly dry at the end from a lack of build-up towards some sort of climax. I personally think you deserve a 7.1/10, though.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; October 4, 2012 at 02:32:16 PM.
Old October 4, 2012, 02:58:59 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Here is my Halloween special remix. I must thank LD for showing me how to incorporate more instruments into FL Studio, it helped a lot during this remix. The MIDI I used for this remix was...interesting. Something about was catchy to me ahaha.
This remix is dedicated to Eagles, hope you enjoy this one, buddy. :3

Pokemon RBY: Lavender Town Remix    

You can also download the mp3 if you want to listen to it in higher quality: Attachment 3923
Now with this method, you'll find that you need to add more compression to the percussion. Don't worry, I can help you with this though, Reu. That's what I'm here for. But starting out by adding new instruments to work with is the first step to improvement. That's what I did actually. Keep it up, I'm sure Eagles will like this. :3
Old October 14, 2012, 07:07:40 PM
Administrator

I forgot to leave a comment on this before. It sounds completely different, but very nice! One of your best ones so far. The bass notes sound a little too random, but other than that, I can't think of anything wrong.

9.5/10
Old October 17, 2012, 06:49:42 PM

Well, I started making a remix on FL Studio of the BW Rival theme, but I accidentally clicked on something in the FL Studio toolbar, and changed a few things in my remix. Luckily, I was able to export an mp3 file of the remix before that incident happened. For now, this remix is going to be considered a work in progress as I try to fix everything. I apologize for the lack of strong percussion and part of the ending sounding weird, but this is what I had so far. (Also no comment on how badly I looped the song, it's hard to do on Camtasia )
EDIT: Also pay no mind to the disappearing picture toward the end of the song <:]

Hope you guys somewhat like this remix. I apologize that it's unfinished. :c
Pokemon BW: Rival Battle Remix (Unfinished)    

And I'll also include the mp3: BW Rival Battle (Part 2).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; October 17, 2012 at 06:55:43 PM.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:07:52 PM
Administrator

Yeah, it definitely sounds very unfinished, almost an instrument match-up of the original. Not too fond of how the cello sounds, it cuts abruptly, and there is a lack of percussion beyond the timpani.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:06:23 PM

I redid one of my old remixes. This one actually has percussion that didn't come with the MIDI I played around with the volume a bit in this one. The fact that I'm starting to get percussion down is very satisfying!

Megaman Zero 4: Straight Ahead Remix (Redone)    

And the mp3, which might sound better. Straight Ahead Remix (Redone Part 2).mp3
Old October 20, 2012, 09:10:00 PM
Administrator

Ooh, very nice. This sounds very much like a song from an early 32-bit console, like a game on the Sega Saturn or possibly PlayStation. That synthesized guitar sounds practically perfect. Congrats on your first 10/10 from me.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:14:37 PM
Volcarona

You did amazing! Nothing in this remix sounds boring at all. The percussion is actually very nice, too! You're gonna get better for sure. 10/10!
Old October 21, 2012, 06:24:06 PM

This is possibly one of my most favorite battle themes in videogame history. Honestly though, I don't think I did a good job with this remix. It just sounds like I could've done something better, but I don't know. Nonetheless, it is still one of my favorite battle themes, so I enjoyed remixing this one. (This one was also quite difficult. I had to manipulate how loud some of the notes had to be played)

Golden Sun: Saturos Battle Theme Remix    

Youtube might've messed up the audio, so the mp3 might be preferable: Saturos Battle Remix (Part 3).mp3
Old October 21, 2012, 06:38:23 PM
Administrator

Hm, sounds slightly overdone, but it otherwise sounds pretty decent. The lead is pretty rough through the entire song. However, for capturing the essence of Saturos, I think you did a nice job. 9/10.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:20:33 PM

I wouldn't necessarily call this a remix, but a remastering instead. I consider the Star Hill theme to be very underrated, as most people have forgotton about it. I couldn't really add percussion to this remastering due to the fact that the original song doesn't have any percussion at all. I experimented with some tubular bells in this one. Hopefully it comes out decently.

Here's the mp3 to the song: Star Hill Remastered.mp3
Old October 24, 2012, 08:41:27 PM
Administrator

Hm, I think this might actually be a fault with the original theme, but it seems like there are four different melodies that are all over the place. It's not bad, but it does feel a bit crowded. 6.5/10.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:16:47 PM

Here's a new remix that took quite some time to remix. I seriously could not find a good lead besides some kind of saw. I manipulated a drum kit, so I'm starting to get the hang of changing the types of percussion instruments used in a kit.

I'll provide the mp3: Pokemon RSE Gym Leader Remix (Part 3).mp3
Old October 26, 2012, 08:44:53 PM
Administrator

Hmm, this is certainly an interesting remix. I really like how the lead sounds in this one, and the piano seems to fit decently well. However, I think one thing is a little messed up, and that is the drums. Around 0:47, the timpani track (in the original) noticeably changes to other percussion that doesn't suit the theme well. I do like the strings that kick in at the same time. The song itself is pretty good, but it feels a little lacking in the mid-range.

8.0/10
Old October 27, 2012, 06:41:07 PM

Quote:
Hmm, this is certainly an interesting remix. I really like how the lead sounds in this one, and the piano seems to fit decently well. However, I think one thing is a little messed up, and that is the drums. Around 0:47, the timpani track (in the original) noticeably changes to other percussion that doesn't suit the theme well. I do like the strings that kick in at the same time. The song itself is pretty good, but it feels a little lacking in the mid-range.

8.0/10
I removed the drums from that part and replaced it with a different drum beat. I also made the strings slightly deeper. I did make a few changes to this remix, but not a lot. The beginning is practically the same while I changed the middle and last parts.

New mp3! Pokemon RSE Gym Leader Remix (Part 8).mp3
Old October 27, 2012, 06:52:36 PM
Administrator

Part 8, eh? It definitely sounds improved, a bit "leady" still, but it fits this remix well. The drums are definitely an improvement over the last iteration.

8.5/10.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:33:01 PM

I wanted to remix a PMD song, but during the process, it ended up sounding similar to the original, so it's more of a remastering. I'm not going to lie, I cried at the end of PMD2 while this song was playing. x3

"Never forget those you hold dear to. Enjoy all the time you have with them and build up fond memories, because one day, you may never be able to see them again." -self quote

EDIT: I made a few small changes to the song; I tried improving the clarity.
Be sure to include any suggestions so that I can improve on this one I Don't Want to say Goodbye Remastered (Part 2).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; November 1, 2012 at 04:25:31 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:14:10 PM
Administrator

Mmm, now that's a classic. For a remastering, you did a pretty decent job, I must say. No real complaints or much of anything wrong with it.

(No rating.)
Old November 6, 2012, 08:56:41 PM

I decided to redo one of my old remixes because I felt that the last one was poorly made. I had a hard time deciding the instrument used at 0:36, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'll consider it, fix the remix, and then reupload it for further evaluation.

Here's the mp3: Pokemon FRLG Gym Leader (Part 2).mp3
Old November 6, 2012, 09:04:42 PM
Administrator

The first thought that came to mind was, "Oh no, my favorite part of the song is missing: the killer drums!" Regardless, what you have does sound quite nice and typical to what you'd expect. Still, the lack of the hats practically kills the catch of the FireRed/LeafGreen version, effectively making it a quasi-remix of the original with timpani drums. Not terrible, but definitely could use some improvement. 7/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 6, 2012 at 09:14:34 PM.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:07:31 PM

Quote:
The first thought that came to mind was, "Oh no, my favorite part of the song is missing: the killer drums!" Regardless, what you have does sound quite nice and typical to what you'd expect. Still, the lack of the hats practically kills the catch of the FireRed/LeafGreen version, effectively making it a quasi-remix of the original with timpani drums. Not terrible, but definitely could use some improvement. 7/10.
I revised my work and added more hi hats, as well as an extra drum set. I'm not sure how I feel about it though, it doesn't sound much better IMO...

MP3: Pokemon FRLG Gym Leader (Part 4).mp3
Old November 11, 2012, 09:32:41 AM

I finally decided to remix a song from Gen 4. The Sinnoh gym leader theme is okay to me, but I think it sounds better when remixed. The midi I got for this song is meant for remixes only, so that's why it sounds different, much like my Lavender Town remix. I did try using a few new instruments this time around, so I could really use some suggestions on which ones I should change or replace.

The mp3: DP Gym Leader Remix (Part 5).mp3
Old November 11, 2012, 09:39:32 AM
Administrator

You cannot steal someone else's remix, re-remix it, and call it your own!

1/10.

That one point is only because it actually sounds very nice. You lost the other nine for stealing Jace's MIDI. If you want to remix something by MIDI, please use a raw MIDI of the original, non-remixed song.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 11, 2012 at 09:43:56 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:42:21 PM

Note to self: Just because it's a MIDI doesn't mean it should be remixed >_< (it was on a midi site, so I thought I'd be allowed to remix it)

Anyway, I got a new remix that is from a very recent game...the Champion Iris theme! ^^ I tested out a few more instruments in this one, so be sure to tell me if there's anything wrong with it. If I can fix it, I will reupload it for further inspection.

The mp3:Champion Iris Remix (Part 4).mp3
Old November 12, 2012, 04:09:26 PM
Administrator

Ahh, good to hear you actually making your own remixes again. Definitely sounds pretty good and has a fairly decent mix of sounds. Only problem is it sounds too much like the original. It sounds nice, but it's not much of an actual remix.

7.5/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2012 at 08:03:57 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:22:50 PM
Volcarona

You did a great job, but at 1:41, there's a mistake in the looping of the song. Other than that, you did great! 8.8/10! :3

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 30, 2012 at 08:04:01 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:01:42 AM
Haxorus

I have been looking for a while...but I can't seem to find my favorite gym leader BW2 remix. =3=;

So if you need any ideas, nobody has made a remix of this yet. ^^
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TSFkKjvYOPk

Last edited by Super Pichu62; November 14, 2012 at 03:18:02 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 04:02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu62 View Post
I have been looking for a while...but I can't seem to find my favorite gym leader BW2 remix. =3=;

So if you need any ideas, nobody has made a remix of this yet. ^^
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TSFkKjvYOPk
That might be a little too tough for me I don't have the vocals needed for that kind of remix.

This remix...or I should say the one I've been working on is unfinished because my computer decided to crash and it closed FL Studio in the process. I didn't add any percussion to it yet and there are still about 2 MIDI instruments in the song. Nonetheless, I will show the progress I made for it. I was really hoping I could finish this remix and it pains me to have all of my work lost, but a computer crash is a computer crash.

Unfinished remix: Champion Cynthia Remix (Part 1).mp3
Old November 22, 2012, 04:46:15 PM
Administrator

It's alright, but it definitely sounds fairly messy, owing to the incompletedness.some of the instruments seem to exhibit a little too wide of a frequency distribution.

(No rating.)
Old November 26, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Alright, I got a chance to finish this remix without my computer crashing. ^_^ Like before, I redid one of my past remixes to make it sound better. I know this one isn't a perfect remix, so I'm definitely open for suggestions. I will reupload my remix after considering all suggestions. :3

Here's the mp3:Grandmaster Redone (Part 2).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; November 26, 2012 at 05:57:19 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:41:51 PM
Administrator

Hm, not bad, but the faults of the original show pretty well here, notably the odd key used for the bass notes. There isn't much I think you could do about it, though. Also, it cut off very abruptly.

7.5/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 26, 2012 at 08:42:15 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:25:02 PM

Quote:
Hm, not bad, but the faults of the original show pretty well here, notably the odd key used for the bass notes. There isn't much I think you could do about it, though. Also, it cut off very abruptly.

7.5/10.
Oh man, I don't know why it ended right in the middle of the song. I'll try to reupload it. Hopefully the full song can be heard this time.

MP3: Grandmaster REUPLOAD.mp3
Old November 27, 2012, 06:49:53 PM
Administrator

I don't really have any variance in my comment. Most of what I said in the last comment still applies, sans the cut-off-ness. I do like the part starting at 1:24, though.

8/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 27, 2012 at 06:50:27 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:01:43 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Oh man, I don't know why it ended right in the middle of the song. I'll try to reupload it. Hopefully the full song can be heard this time.

MP3: Attachment 4173
This is probably your best piece yet, and I especially like the guitar sound (whoops?) going on with it, but it seems to need a bit more variance before it gets really good. There seems to be a little bit of the feeling that it lacks... punch later on.

(The word filter needs a whitelist, by the way.)

Last edited by Twiggy; November 28, 2012 at 09:03:50 AM.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:01:23 PM

Lemme know what you guys think about this one, I could really use some suggestions because of how difficult it was to remix this song. x3

MP3:BW Elite 4 Remix (Part 3).mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; December 1, 2012 at 01:38:02 PM. Reason: Made a few changes
Old December 1, 2012, 03:47:13 PM
Administrator

I noticed a significant lack of proper drums, but I think I know why that is. Ripped MIDIs rarely match anything correctly. The song absolutely needs a heavy bass drum hit. The one you used is a little high-pitched, and parts of the song lack drums completely. You should avoid instruments that have too wide of a frequency range. The first three instruments you hear in the song are perfect examples of this.

I will say this: remixing BW songs is difficult due to the large number of channels.

7/10.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:47:15 PM

Well, this time I made a remix of a song from a Pokemon hack. It's the Pokemon Prism gym leader theme! (The only midi I could get for this song was short; it only had 3 instruments to start off with) I feel meh about this remix too. Any suggestions?

MP3: Pokemon Prism Gym Leader Battle Remix 2.mp3
Old December 11, 2012, 07:06:10 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Well, this time I made a remix of a song from a Pokemon hack. It's the Pokemon Prism gym leader theme! (The only midi I could get for this song was short; it only had 3 instruments to start off with) I feel meh about this remix too. Any suggestions?

MP3: Attachment 4227
Could be my earbuds going bad (which STINKS since they're not cheap... *cries*), but to me a lot of the song seemed to have been panned on the right-side, which is not good. It needs more balance on both sides, mess with the Stereo Separation knobs a bit in FL Studio, NEVER forget that Mixer! And the percussion, I'm not sure what you're using but the kick is way to weak, try using a percussion kit, I believe I might've linked you to one I have uploaded. If the kick is too weak, a multiband-compressor should do the trick too besides typical EQ-ing. But I do love this song (though I prefer the Wild battle theme~). Keep up the work though, Reu! This is MUCH better than some of your previous pieces for sure.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:37:30 PM
Administrator

I'll definitely agree with the right side panning, but not quite as bad as it seems. And yes, it definitely needs more percussion, but you did a decent job adding the cymbals. I will agree that it's tough remixing something with very few channels.

7.5/10.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:30:07 PM

I made this quick remix when I was on a break from studying. It isn't very long, but I like this theme. :3 Oh, this is also my first time trying to input a small intro before the real song begins. The real song starts at around 0:07.

Mp3: (LoZ Oracle of Seasons/Ages)Lynna City Remix 3.mp3

Last edited by Reuniclus; December 13, 2012 at 05:30:20 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:54:51 PM
Administrator

Ooh, wow, this one feels like a good variation on the original, especially with the small touch you've added at the beginning. It's quite nice to listen to, as well. So many strings~.

9/10.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:37:57 PM
Volcarona

I like what you did here. The melodic instrument choices here are very well done! My only gripe is the percussion. It still sounds a little awkward at this point, but you're learning and improving. Nice going with the equalizing, too!

8.7/10!~ :3
Old December 17, 2012, 08:42:54 PM

Yay more intros in my remixes. xD This one was quite difficult to make because of the amount of channels I had to move foreward in order to make the intro. Let me know what you guys think, I might continue using this sort of method for the rest of my remixes if most of the results are positive.

MP3: FF5 Decisive Battle Remix 3.mp3
Old December 17, 2012, 08:49:05 PM
Administrator

Never been too big into Final Fantasy, but I know it has killer music. This remix seems to capture at least the mood of the songs I have heard, and the remix itself is quite a nice job. I seriously can't think of a single complaint.

9.5/10

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 17, 2012 at 08:49:27 PM.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:09:42 AM
Cyndaquil

Ohboiii, I like this one !
That's one of my favorite song of FF5, and you did a great job on your remix !
However, I have a huge feeling that some parts of the partition are missing... Or maybe I don't hear them. xD

( Wow, it's been a while since my last post... O_o )
Old December 24, 2012, 08:47:45 PM

Merry Christmas guys! I have two remixes to post and they are both Christmas presents. Both TurtwigX and GalliumGrant requested me to remix a song, so I decided to try and get them both done before the end of the 25th. Hope you guys like these! (PS: Gallium, you gave me a tough one )

MP3 (Earthbound Zero: All that I Needed Was You): Turt's Request.mp3

MP3 (Last Ninja 2: Level 2): Gallium's Request 5.mp3
Old December 24, 2012, 09:23:23 PM
Administrator

Turt's mix: Hmm, there's a little bit of bleed in the lead (noticeable from 0:09 to 0:13), where the notes play a little too long and mix with the upcoming ones, and there is a slight lack of effects, but otherwise I quite like this one. 9/10.

Gallium's mix: Ooh, I really like the bass line and drums in this one. The instrument choices were perfect for the apparent theme here, and I think you did an incredible job with the time constraints you were given. 10/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 24, 2012 at 11:19:27 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:10:12 PM
Giratina

Oh boyo. You actually IMPRESSED me. And that's not a very easy thing to do, BUUUUT I have to point out every single flaw/thing that wasn't particularly perfect. That new intro threw me off the first time listening to it but I have to admit that after a 3rd or 4th listen it kind of sticks. The percussion I think was spot on at most parts. Hard to get it wrong when it's given to you, but you improved on it. The Bass was also pretty good, but you could go for some improvisation sometimes, maybe have fun with 8th notes. Also, the part at :49 isn't repeated until after the part you put at 1:02. So an obvious flaw there. And the ending is really nice, I almost like it better than the original. There was something with the Bass that you also cut out, but I don't wanna be picky. Overall, it's so good that I would even sing out loud with it. 8.5/10
Old December 25, 2012, 10:30:01 PM
Volcarona

Nice job with the remix. You worked REALLY fast on it and achieved THAT. Kudos!
Only gripes; the random usage of the crash was a little annoying and awkward, that and you were using what sounded like a kick for a snare. Still, you did pretty well, and that's a good thing. 8.5/10.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:22:37 PM

Sheesh it's been a while since I last made a remix. I just finished redoing a remix I wanted to improve on a while ago. This time however, I tried adding a little something extra at the end of the song (it was tougher than I thought >_>). Black and White songs are also pretty difficult to make remixes for since there are too many channels. GB songs are difficult too since they have very few channels. I think this is an improvement from my last attempt at this song, so suggestions and comments would be really appreciated. :3

Pokemon Black and White Gym Leader Remix MP3: BW Gym Leader Redone (Part 4).mp3
Old January 16, 2013, 08:31:15 PM
Administrator

Hmm, you certainly tried on this one, but that's not all that matters. I don't think the percussion fits the song very well. It sounds really cheap and at a significantly lower sampling rate than the other instruments in the song. The tone of the bass is a little off, too. I think that's because you may have used an instrument not designed for usage as bass. Oh, and WATCH THE VOLUME! You mastered it too loudly. 6.5/10.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 16, 2013 at 08:32:16 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:43:42 PM

Alright, I tried fixing the drums, but I dunno if I made the song sound better or like trash. I'll include both variations of my progress.

BW Gym Leader Redone (Part 6).mp3
With this one, I tried fixing the drums (I hate manipulating percussion >_<) and editing a few instruments that made the song too loud.

BW Gym Leader Redone (Part 7).mp3
This one however has louder drums. This is my attempt at equalizing both the drums and the other instruments. I don't know if making the drums louder improved the song at all, I might've just ruined the whole song instead. :S
Old January 23, 2013, 07:46:28 PM
Giratina

Yup, your lucky no. 7 definitely set it up right. The basic melody's still great sounding, the drums are audible and not nasty... mostly (), and the bass is pretty fine, too. And I still love that ending and especially the new intro~ Although, the drums sound like they fall apart quite a bit. It still feels like tweaking is necessary, but I'm not sure where exactly. Overall, I want to figure out how to replace the gym leader song in my cartridge so I can listen to this version every single time I challenge the PWT. 8.5/10
Old January 23, 2013, 11:09:16 PM
Administrator

I'm not going to bother with #6 because you said it's bad.

In #7, I pretty much have the same comment to make about the drums. It's mostly the cymbals and hi-hats, but there's an electric snare in there that as well. They still don't sound appropriate for the song. You're getting there, though. 7/10.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:26:08 PM

I gave up on the gym leader theme since I can't work with percussion. x3

I'm gonna try using the BW2 soundfonts in my next few remixes. I figured I'd start with a simple song...Turt might like this one hehe

EB0 Flippant Foe (BW2 Soundfonts).mp3