Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 4, 2013, 12:58:03 AM
Administrator

Default Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I figured with the release being on June 9 (NA), 14 (EU), or 15 (AU), that it would be a good idea to start up a thread to get the hype train rolling.

I shall start off with this:

I currently own the three Animal Crossing games that were released in North America. However, I noticed I have a little problem with them, and I'm curious if anyone else is the same way.

I pick up the game, play it almost solid for two months, get bored, put it down for a year, pick it up for a few days, put it down, and don't touch it again until near the release of the next Animal Crossing game. I usually have the house paid off, Nook's shop fully upgraded, all fruit, quite a few collectibles, most fish/bugs (fossils and paintings are too random), and most (if not all) K.K. Slider songs. (Fun fact: I didn't bother getting a single K.K. Slider song in City Folk, but I did complete the collection in Wild World.) It's like the games start out really fun with obvious goals, but then when the goal goes away there is no reason to play.

With that, I'm probably not going to be getting New Leaf at release, but I might get it at the beginning of next semester. (Then again, that might be too close to X and Y, which will definitely take over my gaming.)

Last edited by Quadcentruo; May 4, 2013 at 03:41:54 AM. Reason: "Down" not "Don't"
Old May 4, 2013, 01:13:22 AM
Haxorus

Woo finally a thread for this!

I definatley will be getting this game on release. I only own Wild World, because it was one of those games that all my friends had and we used to play on Wifi.

I have been watching quite a fair bit of gameplay and the graphics look superb. I won't bore anyone with the details but there are quite a few new mechanics that are unique to this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I usually have the house paid off, Nook's shop fully upgraded, all fruit, quite a few collectibles, most fish/bugs (fossils and paintings are too random), and most (if not all) K.K. Slider songs.
Unlike you, I never actually finished any of the collections. I just hated the fact that certain fish and bugs could only be got at certain times in the year.

In short, I am very excited for when this game is released, and I look forward to trying out the Wifi capabilities.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:52:14 AM
Giratina

Animal Crossing's concept it good - go live a life on your own, running errands for friends, go fishing, etc. - and it definitely appeals to kids because kids are usually dependent on their parents for pretty much everything they do, but they can do whatever they want in Animal Crossing. It's that tiny bit of virtual freedom that appeals to them.

However, whenever I think about Animal Crossing, it does seem fun, so I'll play for a bit, but then get bored shortly after and won't touch it again for a long time, like Cat. It fails to keep people hooked for a long period of time. I think what's causing that is lack of things to do in one day - Tom Nook only has so much inventory each day, most of which you probably won't care for (especially when you start), getting Bells to pay-off your house or go shopping is a bit tedious (especially when you don't have a bug net or fishing rod), running errands for friends isn't nearly as rewarding as it should be, and finally there's nothing to do once you paid-off your house.
If you have a family member who also plays Animal Crossing regularly, it almost turns into a competition of "Who can pay their house off first?" because the first person to pay their house off gets a golden statue of them at the train station.
If there were more random events daily (like fishing contests, traveling traders, etc.), it would make the game more interesting and make everyday an experience, rather than just-another-day.

Enough with my reviewing attitude, back on topic.
Personally, I've only ever gotten the first Animal Crossing. I've played the DS one, but never found it as enjoyable as the GameCube version. I probably won't be getting New Leaf at launch, if ever.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:47:02 AM
Administrator

I am pretty similar to Cat with this. I'll get the game new and play it every day for a few months, until it dies down a bit and sits around until I get some random urge to play it. Not that it's a bad game or anything, but there are some repetitive points which can get dull after a while. While normally I love trying to collect as much stuff as possible in games, it's hard to do so here thanks to exclusive things only available at certain times (like bugs/fish that are only out during certain seasons).

That being said though, this new one looks like it should have more to offer. Being the mayor of the town, you get to pick the layout, events, and more happenings on how the town runs. Another one of the things I like is the ability to visit friend's towns. Cat and I have visited each other's towns a few times in City Folk, and we had fun goofing around, stealing items, and whacking each other upside the head with fishing nets.

I have the original GameCube version along with City Folk, and have played Wild World. I will definitely be getting New Leaf most likely near launch so I can enjoy it fully before I get sucked into GTA V and Pokemon X/Y.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:52:46 AM
Haxorus

Under a month to go now folks, 2013 is really a year for awesome games!
Old May 17, 2013, 10:16:09 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAurorae View Post
Under a month to go now folks, 2013 is really a year for awesome games!
Probably the best year in my lifetime :0
Old May 18, 2013, 06:56:38 AM
Giratina

It looks like pretty much everyone has the same feelings towards Animal Crossing - It's a wonderful game with lots of charm and character, but ultimately gets dull and repetitive after a couple of months. I started playing Let's Go To The City (City Folk) again in January from a new file and set myself the goal of getting every fossil every day, clearing out Nook's inventory every day, getting everything from the Able Sisters and paying at least 20,000 bells off of my mortgage per day, which kept me interested for a month. Heck, I even started gardening and managed a perfect town for a little bit!

The thing with Animal Crossing is that nothing's really changed in the last couple of installations. I never find myself going to the city in LGTTC, but aside from that it's pretty much the same as Wild World. With New Leaf it looks like a lot of stuff is being mixed up and changed, especially with this new Mayor role giving you much more control (I can finally have my town awake at midnight!). I always get excited about new Animal Crossing releases, so I'm really looking forward to this new one!
Old May 21, 2013, 06:20:36 PM
Haxorus

I've only played the GC game, but I've seen the DS one. I'm probably going to pick up New Leaf because I've slowly gotten an interest into it as time has passed, and the first one has definitely intrigued me. I can see what you are all talking about with the lack of much to do eventually, but hopefully New Leaf changes things this time around.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

In terms of Animal Crossing games, I've only played Wild World and City Folk; I've never played the GC version. My problem with Animal Crossing was that I didn't have anyone to play it with together. (playing alone usually isn't fun to me :<)

My interest with AC games has been sporadic, there are random times when I feel interested to play again. Yes, it does get boring after a while, but I don't think the boredom ever makes me want to cease playing the game completely. I usually get back into the game around certain holiday events, for example. I'll probably get the game as soon as I can so that it doesn't interfere with the release of X and Y.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:54:07 AM
Charizard

Cat I did the same exact thing as you did. And to be honest, I think I am going to buy it when it comes out, only cause I've played them all and see that this one should be "different." But it might not happen because of Pokemon X and Y....
Old June 8, 2013, 09:38:15 PM
Administrator

Bumping this thread as it is now release day/night.

Despite my philosophy of always getting physical copies of the game if I can, I decided to go with the digital download for AC NL as this just seems like a perfect game to leave on the system to play whenever. Downloading right now, though I'll probably wait till tomorrow morning to actually start playing. I'll update as I start playing through it.

Last edited by Yoshi648; June 8, 2013 at 09:54:39 PM.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:51:46 AM
Haxorus

I am so jelly that you Yanks have already got the game! Gahhhh it dosen't come out til the 14th for me.
Old June 9, 2013, 03:16:17 AM
Kyurem

This game is like one of these games that I'm not sure about getting. It's like... it's strangely inviting, and yet there doesn't seem to be anything that screams "buy me right now".

Oh well, maybe I'll get this used. Or bargain bin. (I'm more into other kinds of games.)
Old June 9, 2013, 06:33:07 AM
Rayquaza

Here's the face guide so you can get the character you want.
http://www.jvgs.net/new-leaf-face-guide.htm
Old June 9, 2013, 06:35:44 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Here's the face guide so you can get the character you want.
http://www.jvgs.net/new-leaf-face-guide.htm
Cheers Mag, I was looking for one of those when it came out in Japan...
Old June 9, 2013, 08:44:58 AM
Administrator

Alright, started playing through the game and here's what I got so far:

Game starts off as usual, answering questions to determine your face, naming yourself, and the town. However, this time you get to pick from one of four layouts for the town to be in. My name is Yoshi (big surprise), I got the 2nd face in that link Mag posted, and named the town Everfree (after the Everfree Forest in My Little Pony FIM).

Arrived in town where I was greeted with "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy. But you were the only one on the train, so be the mayor maybe." My first mayoral duty was to get myself a house. Tom Nook is now a realtor (must have figured he'd be better off going full-on with house price gouging instead of running a shop) and you can now pick out the location of your house. I put mine near the river that runs through the town. I was given a lovely yellow tent to sleep in until my first house is paid (which I do have the money for, but Nook isn't open for another half hour so I'll rant on here in the meantime).

Next I got the official inauguration ceremony where I got to plant a tree. The little twig they gave me already grew into a small tree. After that I was free to start exploring. The northern part of the town is Main Street, which is similar to the City from City Folk. Here it has the Museum, Nook's Office, Nookling Junction (Tom's store now ran by his sons/nephew's/whatever Timmy and Tommy), Sable and Able's clothing store, along with some abandoned buildings that will have stuff soon. I got a shovel and a net to start doing stuff.

Back in town I dug up a few fossils and shook trees for free stuff (including bees, can't forget the cuddly bees). There is a new store there called Re-Tail (ha, get it?) which acts as a re-sale shop. Basically you can put items for sale with your own price and the other villagers can buy them, or you can just sell them directly like you did at Nook's (and they seem to offer more).

Went out and collected seashells for money and bugs for the museum (yes they kept the puns ). Also my town fruit is Peach.

Overall I've been having fun so far. Some new things to do give it a little bit of a change to the usual that's been done in the last three (four if you count the N64 original) games. I'll update with more happenings as I play through.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:41:43 AM
Giratina

I'm so jealous D:

Well, at least I know which face I'm getting...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by Ningamer; June 9, 2013 at 09:42:05 AM.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:15:48 AM

I started the game around an hour ago and I guess it seems okay so far.
I named my character David (my IRL name) and I named my place Arc Town after arcs used in math and also the tomes used in Fire Embem games such as Arcfire and Arcwind.

Much like any beginning with an Animal Crossing game, things can be a bit slow. I did manage to buy a Shovel and Fishing Rod at Nookling Junction. I'm already starting to fill up the Museum with some fish, but I can't add any bugs yet since I don't have a net >_<

Oh, and my native fruit happens to be oranges. So, if a fruit stealer needs oranges, *looks at Pokemandj* you know where to find them. ;p
Old June 12, 2013, 06:58:30 PM
Administrator

Alright, update on my progress. Got my first house paid off, and got my Builder's Permit so I can now start actually constructing stuff. I made my first project the campsite as supposedly it makes more visitors appear/stick around. Town's population is growing, and I have a very diverse group of animal species living here (three chipmunks, two ducks, and two hippos). Museum is coming along pretty well (almost completed the large 5 piece dinosaur), but have no art (yes I already got my first fake from Redd). Yesterday I ran into a tarantula, it must have been the cuddliest thing ever because it made me pass out.

Me standing in front of my house while wearing my Yoshi shirt.

I know some people like this...

On my 2nd day playing, I run into the most expensive item in the game.

Haha, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door.

Last edited by Yoshi648; June 12, 2013 at 07:37:16 PM.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:44:51 PM
Haxorus

How do you take screenshots on the 3DS?
Old June 12, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAurorae View Post
How do you take screenshots on the 3DS?
Press L and R together to take screenshots.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:39:57 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Press L and R together to take screenshots.
Note that this shortcut works only for this particular game, in case you are confused that it doesn't work in other games. On the 3DS, screenshot capability is not system-wide. It has to be implemented by the developer for it to work in the first place.

Maybe I'll get this game once I get back from vacation. It's... slow-ish, though.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:44:57 AM
Giratina

IT'S A DAY EEEAAAARRRRLLLYYYYY!

https://twitter.com/Ningamer/status/345187834157731840

I'M SO EXCITED
Old June 13, 2013, 08:32:34 AM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post

Much like any beginning with an Animal Crossing game, things can be a bit slow. I did manage to buy a Shovel and Fishing Rod at Nookling Junction. I'm already starting to fill up the Museum with some fish, but I can't add any bugs yet since I don't have a net >_<
If you talk to Isabelle and ask her about "Tips for livng here" (or just talk to her from the counter on your first day) she'll give you things to do, a bit like the way Nook used to do in the earlier games; talk with all the villagers, write one of them a letter, that sort of thing. Anyway, eventually she'll talk about catching bugs and fish, and asks whether you want to be a bug-catching person or a fish-catching person. My brother had tipped me off earlier that if you can't get a rod/net (depending on the answer you gave her) she'll sell you the tool for 500 bells right there, so you'll probably want to pick the one that Nookling's didn't have.

I'll post my own progress later (I'm currently on my Nook tablet and I'm already a few days in, so typing it all on here would probably take a while) but I'll just say for right now that it is SO great that we get the game in the Summertime. I started playing both City Folk and Wild World in the Winter, and it seems to be going much faster for me now that I have more fish and bugs to catch and sell at the start of the game.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:35:31 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
IT'S A DAY EEEAAAARRRRLLLYYYYY!

https://twitter.com/Ningamer/status/345187834157731840

I'M SO EXCITED
YOU LUCKY *BEEP*!
Old June 13, 2013, 09:52:51 AM
Giratina

When I first saw how the start of the game played out before I had it I was a bit... I dunno, I didn't like the look of being spoon-fed everything by Isabelle. After playing, though, I really didn't mind because Isabelle is literally the most adorable character in anything ever! Why didn't anyone tell me?!
Old June 13, 2013, 11:00:12 AM

I recently got the option to go to the island. All I can say is that I spend at least 80% of my time there now. It's easy to find rare bugs and fish (especially at night) and they can be sold for a ton of bells at Re-Tail. The rare bugs that are easy to catch can be sold for around 10,000 bells each. After 2 trips to the island, I was able to make ~500,000 bells.

Once you're able to travel to the island, earning bells can be extremely easy.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:28:44 AM
Rayquaza

I've decided I'm going to get a copy for myself once I get out of class.

EDIT: Never mind Gamestop tried to rip off by telling me that NOW my points can only be put towards used games for some reason.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 13, 2013 at 01:30:56 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:59:23 PM
Giratina

Have they made everything way easier? I've been playing just over a day and:
I've caught 6 sharks, 2 Sunfish, 3 tarantulas and a hammerhead
I could get all three tools in the first day
I've payed Nook twice and bought everything in every shop both days in my town AND a friend's
I have over 100,000 bells spare

And I haven't even got a development permit or whatever it is yet...
Old June 14, 2013, 05:22:14 PM
Landorus

It does seem a bit easier, but this is coming from someone who's always started her game in the Wintertime.

Anyway, to basically go over what I've done...
I was able to pay off the fee for my house on the first day and have payed him off twice more,
I've probably caught almost every fish (Though it hasn't rained yet, so I haven't gotten the Coelacanth) at least once and donated the first of each one to the museum, and I've caught at least some of the bugs.
I haven't had a flower wilt in my town yet, and have only seen one start to wilt once (Which probably isn't a huge accomplishment, but it seems like it to me),
I got the development build (It was stuck at 99% for a little while, and Isabelle told me to get all the weeds so many times in a row I wondered if I'd missed one) and have built both a Suspension bridge and a Campsite and have a Water Well in the works,
I've been to the island a few times, sometimes alone and sometimes with my brother, and have gone on tours both times.

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; June 14, 2013 at 05:23:47 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:37:13 PM
Rayquaza

I have no idea how you guys got the fishing rod so early since Nook's Store isn't selling it for me. :/

Also the only one trying to invite other into my town?

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 14, 2013 at 05:39:56 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 06:06:55 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how you guys got the fishing rod so early since Nook's Store isn't selling it for me. :/

Also the only one trying to invite other into my town?
I have this same problem with trying to get an axe. Literally everday, the store has a shovel to sell.

At least you're able to rent equipment once you get to the island (even though you can't take those home with you...)
Old June 15, 2013, 03:50:18 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I have this same problem with trying to get an axe. Literally everday, the store has a shovel to sell.
I'm pretty sure that you now get the axe from a different shop, and not Nook's. I'd really like a slingshot sometime, too! D:

I've now got myself a "Fish Maniac" badge... Huh... Have I really caught that many fish? It's also the Bug-off today, and apparently some crappy Emperor Butterfly beat my tarantula. I'm calling shenanigans there.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:35:16 AM
Administrator

I remember having the same problem with tools with all the previous games. I can't remember which tools specifically gave me problems at which times, but the problem still existed.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
I'm pretty sure that you now get the axe from a different shop, and not Nook's. I'd really like a slingshot sometime, too! D:

I've now got myself a "Fish Maniac" badge... Huh... Have I really caught that many fish? It's also the Bug-off today, and apparently some crappy Emperor Butterfly beat my tarantula. I'm calling shenanigans there.
I just got one from a new shop that was built in my town, so you're right. (also got mauled by bees while trying to chop trees down)

For anyone curious on how to earn easy bells, follow this guy's method. I use the same strategy minus changing the town ordinance.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:38:58 PM
Rayquaza

I can't do that because I can't go to the island yet.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:04:26 PM

Figured out the beetle strategy a day or two ago by myself, although cutting down the trees is a nice touch. You also lose the ability to catch the Rainbow Stag and the Giant Stag which are both 10k apiece.

Overall, I forgot how much fun these games could be. I'm glad I picked this up again
Old June 16, 2013, 01:58:23 AM
Administrator

Just going to post something to inform all those who bought a digital copy specifically to have multiple saves: you cannot back your Animal Crossing: New Leaf data up and continue playing. There is a randomly-generated secret key tied to the save files, which is generated each time you save, and your system also keeps the most recent secret key. When validating that you're using the most recent data, your system will reject and non-matching keys, which means you cannot back up your data, but more importantly, if you attempt to do multiple save files, you will lose all of your progress (such as if you copy your SD card and try to keep different save files for each)! Don't even attempt to create a second town on another SD card.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 16, 2013 at 01:59:58 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:46:14 PM
Regigigas

I'm kinda surprised at how popular New Leaf is. I had intended to buy a copy this morning, but all the stores that sell video games here are already sold out.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:13:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I'm kinda surprised at how popular New Leaf is. I had intended to buy a copy this morning, but all the stores that sell video games here are already sold out.
Try getting the digital download. It's about a gigabyte from what I hear, and I don't think there's any chance of it being sold out on the eShop.

There's an advantage to having it digital too: you don't have to carry around your cartridge with you everywhere. It's a big advantage to an everyday game like AC.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:11:09 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Try getting the digital download. It's about a gigabyte from what I hear, and I don't think there's any chance of it being sold out on the eShop.

There's an advantage to having it digital too: you don't have to carry around your cartridge with you everywhere. It's a big advantage to an everyday game like AC.
I have a very strict bandwidth limit per month [22GB] and a not-so-stable internet connection. Downloading games that size is kinda not an option for me. There is a reason I dislike systems that require internet access.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:47:40 AM
Giratina

Ah, this brings back good memories of Wild World...

Turnip prices?

(Seriously if anyone has good turnip prices I'd love to... uh... sell some turnips at your town. )
Old June 18, 2013, 01:00:42 PM
Celebi

Getting this for my birthday in a week's time. It looks fun!
Old June 18, 2013, 01:23:08 PM
Haxorus

Hopefully I can persuade my parents to lend me the last Ł10 to get this tommorow....
Old June 18, 2013, 09:27:45 PM
Shaymin

So I'm stuck in a shovel, fishing rod sales loop... Seriously. I only have three tools, and there's this one tree blocking my bridge that I want to clear!

Also I feel like a jerk... Kiki gave me a bucket as a prize for playing and beating Kody, Tabby and herself at hide-and-seek. And in the same day, I gave her the exact same bucket when she asked for something to replace her typewriter. She was all like "WOW THIS IS PERFECT!"

Am I a jerk?
Old June 18, 2013, 09:54:01 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
So I'm stuck in a shovel, fishing rod sales loop... Seriously. I only have three tools, and there's this one tree blocking my bridge that I want to clear!

Also I feel like a jerk... Kiki gave me a bucket as a prize for playing and beating Kody, Tabby and herself at hide-and-seek. And in the same day, I gave her the exact same bucket when she asked for something to replace her typewriter. She was all like "WOW THIS IS PERFECT!"

Am I a jerk?
Of course not. A bucket is the perfect replacement for a typewriter.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:16:48 PM
Rayquaza

I just realized that this is the first Animal Crossing game with deer in it.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 20, 2013 at 05:16:54 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:16:58 PM
Administrator

Well, I wasn't allowed to not have the game. Somebody bought it for me specifically to force us to play it together.

Anyway, I (Cat) moved into Unova and started to get acquainted with the animals and moved into my tent. I was able to buy a shovel and net from Nookling Junction to start collecting for the museum (easily one of my favorite aspects of the Animal Crossing series). I'm especially glad to be able to start collecting fossils because those things are great to sell at the start of the game, as duplicates come in quick. (I blame ammonite. I must've gotten over a dozen of those in Wild World.)

I will admit it took me a while to find the museum until I noticed it at the end of Main Street. (Oh good, Blathers is still afraid of bugs. ) I collected a good 5,000 bells, too.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:39:20 PM
Administrator

Playing a little bit with Yoshi right now, so I now also have a fishing rod and peaches (with my local fruit of apples). I also found a perfect apple.

Also, I made a discovery: you can access your own locker in other towns' train stations, so you no longer have to make multiple trips. Definitely convenient so you can quickly store away any really good items you obtain too. 180 spaces is awesome too. I can finally keep a collection of gyroids without throwing them out down the road, too.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 20, 2013 at 06:41:42 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:55:28 PM
Rayquaza

I've already been catching a lot a summer fish lately, like eels and frogs.

Find it very weird you can catch frogs in the game and also have one as your neighbor.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 20, 2013 at 07:19:36 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:00:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Find it very weird you can catch frogs in the game and also have one as your neighbor.

A chipmunk with a hamster for a pet. Also relevant.

So yeah, quite a bit of stuff happening in my town. On my 2nd house (6X6), Nookling Junction upgraded, stores are being built, and on my 2nd town project (another bridge). Also got island access recently, lots of free stuff. Also did some multiplayer with Cat today, we had fun collecting stuff on the island and whacking eachother upside the head with nets.

PICTURES OF STUFF

EXCITEMENT!

Yes this fortune won me a Mario item (block flooring).

Everybody do the flop!

Heh, like me and old videogame stuff.

PUNNIES

Old June 20, 2013, 09:02:01 PM
Administrator

Screenshot time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0067.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	4949
So my life is worth 100 gold coins? 1-up! I got a Mario coin out of it.

Name:	HNI_0069.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	4950
I got Saharah on the first day. Pity she didn't want to sell me anything.

Name:	HNI_0070.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	4951
Mmm, eel

Name:	HNI_0071.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	4952
I swear I've seen this recently.

Name:	HNI_0072.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	4953
Get it? Because octopi are a type of octopod?

Name:	HNI_0073.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	4954
Yoshi and I caught these two (a clownfish and a surgeonfish) at the exact same time. They're Finding Nemo's Marlin and Dory.

Also, I found another helpful feature: the basket appears to be available after accessing it in any town. I'm not sure if it works like the locker such that the items in it from another town can be accessed in your own, though.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 20, 2013 at 09:04:00 PM.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:42:56 AM
Celebi

Quote:
Playing a little bit with Yoshi right now, so I now also have a fishing rod and peaches (with my local fruit of apples). I also found a perfect apple.

Also, I made a discovery: you can access your own locker in other towns' train stations, so you no longer have to make multiple trips. Definitely convenient so you can quickly store away any really good items you obtain too. 180 spaces is awesome too. I can finally keep a collection of gyroids without throwing them out down the road, too.
I thought when you said "Playing a little but with Yoshi rig now", I though they added Yoshisaurs to the game and you could play with them.

Then I realised.
Old June 21, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

You don't necessarily need a slingshot to get balloon presents. If you're near a ledge, the balloon present will rise/fall depending on where you are and you'll be able to whack the balloon with your net to pop it and make the present fall. This strategy will only work if you're near a tall ledge where the balloon is in range of your net.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:38:59 PM
Administrator

Reggie of Nintendo released a unique promo video about the game:

Old June 21, 2013, 01:49:50 PM
Administrator

Hehe, I found a pretty interesting item today: a server.

I think it gives me a project idea too: I could try making a VR-themed room.

Name:	HNI_0075.JPG
Views:	2647
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4955

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 21, 2013 at 01:50:34 PM.
Old June 21, 2013, 04:45:57 PM
Shaymin

So... Guys...

I accidentally sold my net... And the Nookling shop never stocks anything other than Rods and Shovels...

Is it safe to say I'm screwed out of getting one? Or is the Bug-Off every weekend and someone was just pulling my leg?
Old June 21, 2013, 04:48:18 PM

Quote:
I think it gives me a project idea too: I could try making a VR-themed room.

Name:	HNI_0013.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	4956
Since when did you meet Walt!?

Name:	HNI_0018.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	4957
I am also still failing at catching bees. >_< (Gotta love how Sprinkles is there and is HAPPY about my pain)
Old June 21, 2013, 04:52:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So... Guys...

I accidentally sold my net... And the Nookling shop never stocks anything other than Rods and Shovels...

Is it safe to say I'm screwed out of getting one? Or is the Bug-Off every weekend and someone was just pulling my leg?
You should get a randomly selected pair of tools again tomorrow. The three possible tools are the net, fishing rod, and shovel. Other tools will be available later in the game.

You can also buy one from Isabelle if you ask for advice several times and follow it each time, but only on non-event days. Today is an event day (Summer Solstice), so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that too.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 21, 2013 at 04:57:32 PM.
Old June 21, 2013, 05:24:54 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
You should get a randomly selected pair of tools again tomorrow. The three possible tools are the net, fishing rod, and shovel. Other tools will be available later in the game.

You can also buy one from Isabelle if you ask for advice several times and follow it each time, but only on non-event days. Today is an event day (Summer Solstice), so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that too.
The Nookling shop actually hasn't changed for me. It's just been constant Rods and Shovels. And Isabelle can't help me either... That's how I go my watering can...

Aw well... Funds for the Yellow Bench Project are still a go!

... Also Ed creeps me out...
Old June 21, 2013, 08:36:44 PM
Administrator

When it comes to island farming, here's a little guide:
CritterRe-Tail Pay
Shark15,000
Whale shark13,000
Golden stag12,000
Hercules beetle12,000
Saw shark12,000
Rainbow stag10,000
Cyclommatus stag8,000
Horned atlas8,000
Horned elephant8,000
Hammerhead shark8,000
Scarab beetle6,000
Goliath beetle6,000
Ocean sunfish4,000
Emperor butterfly2,500

The best time to farm is after 7 pm, and almost all of these are either on palm trees or in the sea, so cutting down the deciduous trees in the middle would be optimal for farming.

Let me know if anything else of value that can be found on the island is missing or if any of the above cannot be found on the island after 7 pm.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 21, 2013 at 09:30:53 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 04:12:21 AM
Giratina

Quote:

Am I a jerk?
I caught a flea off of Boomer, spoke to him a couple minutes later and he bought it off me...
Old June 22, 2013, 11:25:12 AM
Administrator

The light switch on the bottom screen while in your home should function as something to turn on/off all the lights in the room. That way I can put a lamp in the corner.

I'm not a fish. Sorry.

Name:	HNI_0074.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	4958

A few solstice photos

Name:	HNI_0076.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	4959Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0078.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	4960Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0079.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	4961

Keep that mouth away from me!

Name:	HNI_0077.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	4962

This solstice sure is weird.

Name:	HNI_0080.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	4963Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0081.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	4964

Catching the same bug during the tour at the same time? Hax[orus].

Name:	HNI_0088.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	4965

That's not nice!

Name:	HNI_0089.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	4966

Isabelle is flirtatious.

Name:	HNI_0091.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	4967

298,000 bells from a single round of beetles. Jeez. (I forgot to take a picture of the third screen.)

Name:	HNI_0093.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	4969Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0094.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	4970

With those beetles, this loan is nothing.

Name:	HNI_0092.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4968

Time for a new flag. It's a cat I drew in a few seconds.

Name:	HNI_0097.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	4972

Yay, that was pretty easy!

Name:	HNI_0095.JPG
Views:	654
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	4971

Hehehe, I caught a bee on my first try this morning.

Name:	HNI_0098.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	4973

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 22, 2013 at 11:35:22 AM.
Old June 22, 2013, 11:38:05 AM

...I found 5 beehives while shaking my trees today, and I failed at catching any bees >_>

Oh well, free honeycombs!
Old June 22, 2013, 12:06:34 PM
Rayquaza

Strange how almost the opposite happened to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HNI_0006.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	4974  

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 22, 2013 at 12:08:05 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 04:54:22 PM
Rayquaza

Who says Cat is the only who can get good catches?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HNI_0012.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	4975   Click image for larger version

Name:	HNI_0011.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	4976  
Old June 22, 2013, 08:31:29 PM
Kyurem

On second thought, after looking at all these screenshots...

Count me in next month. Expect me to have a digital copy by... the second week of July. I'll be there, I promise, Cat. And Yoshi. And everyone else.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:26:09 AM
Rayquaza

Well I've now done everything I could in this game and am now bored with it.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:09:36 AM
Administrator

^ That post reminds me. Don't spend too much time island farming. The game will progress way too quick and you'll run out of stuff to do. Everything I've done in the last week would have taken months to do in previous games.

Also while on that topic

Last edited by Yoshi648; June 23, 2013 at 08:16:18 AM.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:27:47 AM
Administrator

Double posting for gameplay updates instead of rant.

So yeah thanks to that wonderfully cheating island I got a 2nd bridge, built the Dream Suite, and am halfway to getting a museum upgrade. My house just got a 2nd floor added to it. Got the gardening store, Kicks, and the QR machine for the clothing store. Also gave permission to start building Club LOL (yay KK Slider).

PICS OF MY ADVENTURE

Cat and I taking our picture for Summer Solstice. I look stoned or something.

Free inception.

I always have staring contests with food packaging.

I like trains

For the first time ever while playing any Animal Crossing game, I FINALLY CAUGHT A FRIGGEN BEE!

QR code for my Yoshi design if anyone wants it.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:02:30 PM
Administrator

Y'know, I'm pretty glad they released this game in June because of all the bugs available during the summer. Wild World released during December, and the first few months were really boring with bug-catching.

Apart from bees, flies, and ants, the only bugs available during the winter are the dung beetle, mole cricket, pill bug, centipede, and bagworm. Quite an exhaustive list, don't you think? At least the fish are more stable year-round.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 23, 2013 at 12:03:06 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 01:58:36 PM
Administrator

Hey, I found a bug/fish/diving spreadsheet online. I decided to add a little bit of conditional formatting so it would highlight uncaught critters for the current month. I've attached the updated version below.

This guy made the spreadsheet.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Animal Crossing New Leaf Hunting List.xlsx (33.1 KB, 1450 views)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 1, 2013 at 12:18:28 AM.
Old June 23, 2013, 02:35:12 PM

After getting stung around 7 times, I finally got my bee!

Name:	I FINALLY GOT A BEE.JPG
Views:	1564
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	4980
Old June 23, 2013, 02:35:41 PM
Rayquaza

What if we don't have Excel?
Old June 23, 2013, 02:36:37 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
After getting stung around 7 times, I finally got my bee!

Attachment 4980
Looking a bit battered there David.
Old June 23, 2013, 02:47:30 PM
Rayquaza

It took me three tries before I could capture mine.

It was pretty easy.
Old June 23, 2013, 02:48:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What if we don't have Excel?
You get this.
Old June 23, 2013, 04:27:44 PM
Rayquaza

I got bit by a spider and I think I died.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:27:31 PM
Shaymin

So after a long Saturday and Sunday of grinding and having fun with my friends... I still barely made progress... On the bright side, at least I can say out of the four of my group of friends, I'm not a time jumper.

While I was at my friends place, I ruined my hair with his Shampoodle... So now I have to wait out till I get mine before I can attempt to fix it.... And I'm having way too much fun creating outfits....

... Also my villagers got way too excited for a yellow bench being put up...
Old June 24, 2013, 09:29:27 AM
Haxorus

I don't know if it's just me going insane, but don't the prices in the Prima official guide seem a little high, even with Bell Boom in effect?
Old June 24, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueumbreon View Post
I don't know if it's just me going insane, but don't the prices in the Prima official guide seem a little high, even with Bell Boom in effect?
Yeah, I noticed that too! I was looking at the bug list and the guide said that a Goliath Beetle (just using this one as an example) could be sold for 24,000 bells when in reality they are sold for only 6,000 bells. It seems the guide took the base value and multiplied it by 4.

This is just my suggestion, but if you're looking at the strategy guide, divide all of the selling values by 4 to get the accurate values. (this is without the "Rich Town" ordnance and Special Sale at Re-tail in effect)
Old June 24, 2013, 09:51:59 AM
Celebi

*grabby hands

Tomorrow this game will be mine. Finally mine. Ha. Ha.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:55:58 PM

I just funded my Museum's second floor today. Making my own exhibits is going to be fun. Maybe I'll get some pictures up once I start them tomorrow.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:08:13 PM
Administrator

The prices in the Prima guide are not sale prices. They are purchase prices, meaning items sell for one-fourth of the listed value at Re-Tail, or one-fifth of the listed value at the Nooklings' shop.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:52:39 PM
Rayquaza

Just as a heads up, you can now check out Reggie's house in the HH Showcase.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 24, 2013 at 05:55:35 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 06:55:07 PM
Administrator

Welp, got the 2nd floor of the museum. For 10,000 bells, you can get a 8X8 room in the museum to display stuff (there are four rooms available). I purchased one and will use it to display my Gyroid collection. Also got a nice silver shovel from the store.

As Mag posted, if you have SpotPass on your DS, Reggie's house will appear in the Happy Home Showcase. His house has a few more new items than what seen in the video. There is a catalog available if you would like to purchase any items you see (except the Nintendo ones since those can only be from fortune cookies). Also there is a limit of 5 items per day you can purchase.

Me and the Regginator

Nice Nintendo collection.

Every rose has it's thorn...

I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A STRAWBERRY, NOW I CAN LIVE THE DREAM!

*opens Cat's cabinet* Dang man, I didn't know you were into that...

Last edited by Yoshi648; June 24, 2013 at 07:10:40 PM.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:41:51 PM
Shaymin

After visiting Reggie's house, I'm trying to acquire some of his regular furniture. Just TVs, Beds, stuff like that...

And Cy-Guy woke up~!
I never realized using GoldenRod's theme as the towns tune could work so well. Now I'm switching between it and Yoshi's Island Intro theme......

.... I'm not creative when it comes to town themes..... Or flags...... or clothes.......
Old June 24, 2013, 08:02:33 PM

I was falling all over the place today because I didn't listen to Katrina's prediction. >_< I faceplanted into dirt, grass, cobblestone, cobblestone bridges, flowers, neighbors, and palm trees.

Today, the 2nd floor on the museum opened up and Celeste had a few items up for sale including a poster, a rug, and a silver shovel.

Name:	HNI_0024.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	4981

I wasn't able to take a screenshot quick enough, but Gulliver referenced Super Paper Mario by talking about the Overthere. This is the dialogue that followed.

Name:	HNI_0025.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	4982
Old June 24, 2013, 09:28:15 PM
Administrator

Oh, while on the subject of town tunes, mine's Babs Seed (from Friendship Is Magic).
Old June 25, 2013, 08:36:34 AM
Haxorus

WELL

I DONE MESSED UP

I LOST ALL DATA OF MAYOR TORA AND BUFFALO.

I thought I could get past the one save restriction by using 2 different SD cards with 2 different saves. Turns out I was wrong and I have to start over...
Old June 25, 2013, 08:40:22 AM
Kyurem

What should be the town name that I'm going to use for AC? I'm kind of in a rut.

Can the player character's name be changed anytime?
Old June 25, 2013, 08:46:30 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
What should be the town name that I'm going to use for AC? I'm kind of in a rut.
TwigBurg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy
Can the player character's name be changed anytime?
Not to my knowledge.

Last edited by blueumbreon; June 25, 2013 at 08:47:13 AM.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:51:27 AM
Celebi

I named myself Rotom and my town Pikton, in honour of the nearing Pikmin game.

I would of done more but I had to go to school before the shops opened.

A good birthday present nonetheless!
Old June 25, 2013, 09:07:36 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Not to my knowledge.
Mmm, Twiggy, or Noivern? Hmm... This is gonna be a hard time for me.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:12:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
WELL

I DONE MESSED UP

I LOST ALL DATA OF MAYOR TORA AND BUFFALO.

I thought I could get past the one save restriction by using 2 different SD cards with 2 different saves. Turns out I was wrong and I have to start over...
Oh look on the third page:

Quote:
Just going to post something to inform all those who bought a digital copy specifically to have multiple saves: you cannot back your Animal Crossing: New Leaf data up and continue playing. There is a randomly-generated secret key tied to the save files, which is generated each time you save, and your system also keeps the most recent secret key. When validating that you're using the most recent data, your system will reject and non-matching keys, which means you cannot back up your data, but more importantly, if you attempt to do multiple save files, you will lose all of your progress (such as if you copy your SD card and try to keep different save files for each)! Don't even attempt to create a second town on another SD card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Mmm, Twiggy, or Noivern? Hmm... This is gonna be a hard time for me.
If you are having this much trouble with just a name, this game is going to be a headache for you
Old June 25, 2013, 01:34:03 PM
Celebi

So I started up, found a Net in the the shop and caught 3 Emporer Butterflies. One I donated for the sake of having something donated on my birthday, one I put in my tent and the other I sold for 2,500 Bells. I like the Re-Tail prices.

Also, it is now my mission to get all the Pikmin items from the Fortune Cookies. I got a Hero's Hat today.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:58:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
So I started up, found a Net in the the shop and caught 3 Emporer Butterflies. One I donated for the sake of having something donated on my birthday, one I put in my tent and the other I sold for 2,500 Bells. I like the Re-Tail prices.

Also, it is now my mission to get all the Pikmin items from the Fortune Cookies. I got a Hero's Hat today.
I have an extra Yellow Pikmin hat, if you want that. :O
Old June 25, 2013, 04:53:32 PM
Administrator

Well I can't look at Isabelle the same now...

MIND BLOWN
Old June 25, 2013, 09:44:52 PM
Shaymin

I stopped Ed from moving out on the 30th. Despite how he still kinda creeps me out, I like having a variety in my town. Nookling shop is closed for expansions(Some progress!) And I'm just earning some money while I pay off a third house expansion and a fountain.

Also I found this comic recently and it relates because Avery did the exact same thing to me... *link*
Old June 26, 2013, 08:16:19 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I stopped Ed from moving out on the 30th. Despite how he still kinda creeps me out, I like having a variety in my town. Nookling shop is closed for expansions(Some progress!) And I'm just earning some money while I pay off a third house expansion and a fountain.

Same thing happened to me, except in instead Peanut wanted to move to tell more people about the town, even though I have no idea if it would actually help.