Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 8, 2014, 02:49:42 PM
Administrator

So, let me make sure this is correct:

Lucario (including its Mega) returns.
Charizard (including its Megas) is in as a standalone character.
Greninja is in.
Toon Link returns.
Sonic returns.
Yoshi returns.
Sheik (along with Zelda) is in as a standalone character.
Zero Suit Samus (along with Samus) is in as a standalone character.
Pit's gliding has been nerfed.
Wii Fit Trainer has both female and male versions.
Rosalina has an independent Luma capable of either attacking on its own or assisting Rosalina with her attacks.
King Dedede is in.
The Master Ball item only contains legendary Pokémon.
It is currently unknown whether or not Jigglypuff and Snake return.

I'm obviously missing things and did not have sound, so add on with what else you caught.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 8, 2014 at 02:53:18 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 02:50:54 PM
Giratina

You people got your Yoshi, ARE YOU SATISFIED? Not like he wasn't gonna be there in the first place...

I'm really excited for the 3DS version now. I had my doubts, but now it has my cash. I'm looking forward to the link capabilities and the Smash Run~

Zero Suit looks so fiiiiiiine! She's so very very fine!
Old April 8, 2014, 02:53:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'm obviously missing things and did not have sound, so add on with what else you caught.
*notes time* Hmm, someone watching this when they should be paying attention in class?
*says the guy who watched it while restoring computers at work*

Yoshi confirmed (as if there was going to be a doubt) and Charizard is playable on his own (with awesome X Mega Evolution). 99999999/10 - Would buy.

Also I'm glad the 3DS and Wii U versions have almost half a year offset on release, gives time to fully enjoy one before diving into the other. Kinda surprised they didn't have the Wii U one first though because impatient people who don't have a Wii U would rush out to buy one and help with struggling Wii U sales.

Also For Glory mode on forgot one critical part: Fox only.

Last edited by Yoshi648; April 8, 2014 at 02:57:19 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
Giratina

Quote:
So, let me make sure this is correct:

Lucario (including its Mega) returns.
Charizard (including its Megas) is in as a standalone character.
Greninja is in.
Toon Link returns.
Sonic returns.
Yoshi returns.
Sheik (along with Zelda) is in as a standalone character.
Zero Suit Samus (along with Samus) is in as a standalone character.
Pit's gliding has been nerfed.
Wii Fit Trainer has both female and male versions.
Rosalina has an independent Luma capable of either attacking on its own or assisting Rosalina with her attacks.
King Dedede is in.
The Master Ball item only contains legendary Pokémon.
It is currently unknown whether or not Jigglypuff and Snake return.

Olimar can only have 3 Pikmin, but in a fixed order. His up special is now winged Pikmin, which is weight affected by the number of Pikmin he has(I don't know if I like him too much anymore...)
You can customize special moves (but he didn't talk too much about that :I)
Little Mac is a terror on the ground, but stupid in the air. When his Power Meter is full he has an OHKO. He also has a costume change to wire frame Mac.
All the different Mega Men come together for Mega Man's final smash (Volnutt is finally in a new game!)
Wii Fit Trainers have Deep Breathing and Sun Salutation. The former charges attack power, and the latter is a charge/store power shot sort of move.
3DS has a special mode called Smash Run. Players run around a Subspace Emissary-esque dungeon to collect powerups which affect their stats, and then they have a free-for-all with those stats. Similar to Kirby Air Ride's City Trial.
RIDLEY OFFICIALLY DECONFIRMED

You repeated a lot of already confirmed stuff. That's all I can remember, but I'm totally watching it again.

Edit: Oh, and every stage will have its own Final Destination mode. So now you can experience the full flavor of backgrounds and music with a perfectly balanced stage for competitive play. I'm going to be all over For Glory mode.

Last edited by TurtwigX; April 8, 2014 at 04:00:53 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 04:35:46 PM

I don't know if I like the whole customizing moves thing. But Greninja being a playable character sparks my interest. I think I'll try to main as either him or Lucario if Lucas doesn't get the cut.
Old April 8, 2014, 04:38:36 PM
Rayquaza

Pretty disappointed this means Pokemon Trainer probably won't be in this game which sucks since he was the only direct reference to the main games.

I mean all these pokemon have appeared in a massive amount of spin offs at least the main games had there player characters.
Old April 8, 2014, 04:53:08 PM
Giratina

All transformations are cut from Smash 4, so thankfully there will be no more Pokémon Trainer~ I'm so glad, he was one of my least favorite things about Brawl. Also, I don't understand how Greninja could be a reference to anything but the games.

You don't have to worry about customizing moves, it's perfectly optional and not allowed online. However, I wanna mod Olimar so badly. I think I might drop him as a character since I don't like his changes.
Old April 8, 2014, 07:45:35 PM
Haxorus

STILL. NO. NESS.

Y U DO DIS TO ME, SAKURAI?!

Anyway, what was shown off was really cool, and I cannot wait to play it. The surprise reveal that was totally expected at the end was really cool, too. And maybe, just maybe, since Mega Man X's model is at least present in the Final Smash for Mega Man, could he become an alt costume? Probably not, but I can dream. All the modes look really fun, and I'm especially interested in Smash Run. That sounds like it'd be really fun to mess around on. Get hyped, son.
Old April 8, 2014, 08:15:52 PM
Giratina

Sakurai might just keep that secret till release, or he's waiting for a more appropriate time. After all, he gave a (pretty lame) excuse for Yoshi.

Considering the final smash I don't think Mega Man would have total alternate costumes, but rather the colors of various RM transformations. Besides, each iteration is taller than Mega Man Classic so that'd be too much to work with.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:51:43 PM
Kyurem

Saw that Greninja is a playable character now, thats awso e dude! Spect to see me use him like i did with lucario in brawl.
Old April 8, 2014, 10:54:55 PM
Kyurem

Not really all that surprised about Charizard (+ its Mega!) being in, but Greninja certainly came as a surprise. While I'm not that big on Greninja (in competitive play, it's EVERYWHERE GRAAAAH) seeing it in the game is certainly a welcome surprise. Also Mega Lucario was to be expected, at least I thought so.

But I still need my Grass Pokémon to make my life complete. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. This should be interesting.

EDIT: Greninja has a Substitute Doll as a dodging move.
I think I might cry tears of joy.

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; April 8, 2014 at 10:58:01 PM.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:13:29 AM
Celebi

To those complaining about Olimar; he was actually buffed. A lot.

The only move that required any more than 2 Pikmin was Pikmin Chain, and that's gone. Olimar's actually been buffed a lot. He got easier management and a brilliant recovery.
Old April 9, 2014, 01:45:27 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
To those complaining about Olimar; he was actually buffed. A lot.

The only move that required any more than 2 Pikmin was Pikmin Chain, and that's gone. Olimar's actually been buffed a lot. He got easier management and a brilliant recovery.
My Pikmin tend to die. Quite frequently. So I enjoy having backups. Pikmin Chain finished off my air combo, and I don't believe I can do the same with Winged Pikmin. Also, tether recoveries are fun to anger people with. So these Olimar changes don't exactly fit my play style. However, the final deciding factor will definitely be those delicious grabs.
Old April 9, 2014, 09:07:15 PM
Volcarona

Default GRENINJA IN THE NEW SUPER SMASH BROS

AS MANY OF YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW, GRENINJA IS A CONFIRMED CHARACTER IN THE NEW SUPER SMASH BROS GAME. GRENINJA IS ONE OF THE COOLEST POKEMON. THAT IS ALL; FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.
Old April 10, 2014, 02:56:45 AM
Giratina

It's hilarious how Sakurai set up his reveal. It was perfectly on purpose. He revealed a fan favorite veteran, Charizard, and then you saw this tall, lanky figure in the shadows. Based on the other reveal, everyone was just like "Mewtwo?" Then that figure started CHARGING something and everyone was all like "Shadow Ball!? MEWTWO!" Theeeen it was a water shuriken and all crazed Mewtwo fans died.

You are truly evil, Mr. Sakurai. I love you.

But I see Greninja having a lot of potential after I got over the initial "What makes him so special?" shock. With all the ninja-like Pokémon moves at his disposal I'd love to see him go against Shiek and Zero Suit. He'll be fun.
Old April 11, 2014, 03:23:30 AM
Giratina

"Your character starts a Smash Run as a relatively ordinary fighter. But before the game, you can outfit yourself with certain items that can help power you up early, which will give you a big advantage later on!! These items are much like the Powers you'd find in Kid Icarus: Uprising."

Here it is, another quick description of Smash Run, the mode that makes the 3DS version unique and amazing. Sakurai says that it starts off normal but turns into a power-up collecting dungeon game so your stats can be boosted for the free-for-all. And it's quite similar to Uprising, so those who regularly kick Suicune's ass will feel right at home with this mode! (Oh, was I being too specific with that line? My bad. )

And just to put it out there, the Subspace army will appear, but so will many representatives all across Nintendo, Mega Man, and Sonic. It's still not Subspace Emissary, but it's a replacement for the feel that doesn't go too far from core mechanics.
Old April 11, 2014, 03:35:56 AM

Quote:
And it's quite similar to Uprising, so those who regularly kick Suicune's ass will feel right at home with this mode! (Oh, was I being too specific with that line? My bad. )
D;
Old April 11, 2014, 05:32:27 AM
Celebi

Do any of you remember the Gematsu leak? Before E3, he predicted:

Animal Crossing Guy
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Mii
Pac Man

While only 3 got confirmed at E3, Little Mac was later confirmed and the other two haven't been deconfirmed yet.

Just before the Direct yesterday, he leaked:

Palutena
Chrom
Shulk
Chorus Men (http://youtu.be/vYRx9QKhhhg)
A Pokemon from X and Y

And alas, he's predicted 5 out of the 6 newcomers thus far. And Chorus Men seem like a very "Sakurai" pick. Is this leak true? It certainly seems so thus far.
Old April 11, 2014, 12:27:17 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Do any of you remember the Gematsu leak? Before E3, he predicted:

Animal Crossing Guy
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Mii
Pac Man

While only 3 got confirmed at E3, Little Mac was later confirmed and the other two haven't been deconfirmed yet.

Just before the Direct yesterday, he leaked:

Palutena
Chrom
Shulk
Chorus Men (http://youtu.be/vYRx9QKhhhg)
A Pokemon from X and Y

And alas, he's predicted 5 out of the 6 newcomers thus far. And Chorus Men seem like a very "Sakurai" pick. Is this leak true? It certainly seems so thus far.
The Chorus Kids would work... as an assist trophy. As a character I don't see them doing anything since the only in-game they ever done was sing. Someone like Karate Joe, however, who has been in all 3 Rhythm Heaven games has a great shot as a character. But with Little Mac in now I'm not so sure.

I have my fingers crossed for Chrom and Shulk would be cool and Greninja is from X and Y. Palutena I would rather like to stay in the background, she's too much of a goddess for me, personally.

AND I'VE BEEN WANTING PAC-MAN IN THIS FOREVER, LIKE WE COULD HAVE A FREE FOR ALL OF COMPANY MASCOTS. IT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL.
Old April 11, 2014, 01:05:29 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
The Chorus Kids would work... as an assist trophy. As a character I don't see them doing anything since the only in-game they ever done was sing. Someone like Karate Joe, however, who has been in all 3 Rhythm Heaven games has a great shot as a character. But with Little Mac in now I'm not so sure.

I have my fingers crossed for Chrom and Shulk would be cool and Greninja is from X and Y. Palutena I would rather like to stay in the background, she's too much of a goddess for me, personally.

AND I'VE BEEN WANTING PAC-MAN IN THIS FOREVER, LIKE WE COULD HAVE A FREE FOR ALL OF COMPANY MASCOTS. IT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL.
Sakurai made Captain Falcon work. He can conceptualise a rhythm based moveset for the Chorus Kids. It's also possible that the leaker meant Marshall, who was a tour guide in one of them.

And even without the leak, Pac-Man seems likely what with all the Namco items and the Namco-influenced Final Destination.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:29:42 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Sakurai made Captain Falcon work. He can conceptualise a rhythm based moveset for the Chorus Kids. It's also possible that the leaker meant Marshall, who was a tour guide in one of them.

And even without the leak, Pac-Man seems likely what with all the Namco items and the Namco-influenced Final Destination.
Oh, Marshall from Fever? I can see him there as a multi referential character having different attributes from all the different minigames. Throwing widgets, crop stomping, whatever attack can be made from Night Walk. I dunno, with my increased love for Rhythm Heaven I'd love to see them have a representative in some form.

According to some "unnamed Nintendo employee source" there are hidden bits in the Smash Direct which may-or-may-not pseudo-confirm characters. I believe this, only because Sakurai is a master troll (releasing Kid Icarus photos after the Palutena leak, delaying Yoshi's reveal to screw with people.) The new Final Destination looks very Soul Calibur-y. While it was surely said that Sakurai doesn't want fighting game characters, there's still a chance for a Namco rep, so basically Pac-Man. Then again, he loves him some curveballs so it's anyone's guess. And the inclusion of Samurai Goroh and Jeff as assist trophies still confirm F-Zero and Earthbound as relevant series. Jigglypuff is something I'm crossing my fingers for, since there's no actual proof nor hints. Still, ALL OF THE POTENTIAL AS A FAIRY TYPE. SERIOUSLY.
Old April 14, 2014, 04:04:12 PM
Giratina

I'm pretty damn late for this pic of the day~

"Pic of the day. Here's a very, very new fighter in the upcoming Smash games, Greninja. Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls!"

But that's only half the fun, kiddies!

"The side special attack Shadow Sneak is a move that makes Greninja suddenly disappear and ambush opponents. If you press and hold the button, Greninja will move a greater distance. Another unique feature is you can move Greninja around freely while charging up."

Greninja is a top tier ninja (note; I did not say TTC) and will have quite a bit of a learning curve. This just further proves that Smash Bros. has already reached the peak when it comes to control and physics. All Sakurai and the team can do now is add a slew of characters and items that'll change up the way the game is played. Keep on truckin', Mr. Sakurai (and while you're at it, confirm Jigglypuff to ease my soul.)
Old April 14, 2014, 11:50:08 PM
Giratina

Sakurai gives us a closer look at "Every stage is Final Destination"!

"Pic of the day. This is the final destination version of Gerudo Valley. No more surprise visits from Koume and Kotake, and the bridge is gone. There are no distractions and there's nowhere to run. And the score that plays in the background is "Gerudo Valley.""

He also goes on to add,

"You can make most stages turn into a final destination. Depending on the stage, it might be floating in midair or perched on a cliff."

So for those smashers who love the perfected balance of a superflat stage with no distractions but love the great diversity of the soundtrack (like me) then this is the mode for you. However, not all stages will have this advantage, most likely moving stages akin to "3D Land." It's still uncertain though, as "Mario Galaxy" has a final destination form. Also Sakurai is once again ambiguous on if this is a For Glory feature or something we can do in regular matches.
Old April 16, 2014, 06:40:59 PM
Giratina

One thing I've noticed just today...

In Smash 4, they're pretty much doing away with all primary tether recoveries. Only 4 characters used them. Olimar's was changed to a flight move, Zero Suit now has her jet boots, and Ivysaur just isn't a character anymore. Sheik's secondary tether recovery was changed to that grenade thing, and I assume Samus and Link will still have their grabs. So, that leaves one last one... the Ice Climbers. Belay is half a tether, but still one all the same. Sakurai mentioned early on that he was having trouble getting them to work on the 3DS, so could Little Mac actually be replacing them as NES rep?

They also got rid of gliding but it's not like that wasn't already for cheap characters with amazing recoveries.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
Volcarona

Just some particular things I hope they do, but....since they mentioned Waluigi a while ago for an assist trophy,what about Wario? It'd be the next reasonable add since they're both bros. Especially considering the fact that Wario just had a game on the Wii U not too long ago. Perhaps near the end they might add him and potentially Captain Falcon. but I shouldn't get my hopes up. Also, Zero Suit Samus is shaping up to become an interesting character. Given now she has jet boots. I'm curious if she'll end up becoming an air fighting character. (Made for air combos)

Last edited by Charizard98; April 16, 2014 at 10:51:27 PM.
Old April 17, 2014, 06:11:09 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard98 View Post
Just some particular things I hope they do, but....since they mentioned Waluigi a while ago for an assist trophy,what about Wario? It'd be the next reasonable add since they're both bros. Especially considering the fact that Wario just had a game on the Wii U not too long ago. Perhaps near the end they might add him and potentially Captain Falcon. but I shouldn't get my hopes up. Also, Zero Suit Samus is shaping up to become an interesting character. Given now she has jet boots. I'm curious if she'll end up becoming an air fighting character. (Made for air combos)
Well, Ashley's got a new assist trophy so I'm sure Sakurai's still thinking about that series. Probably a replacement for the madness that was his stage. Still, the game's not due for a couple months and he's probably withholding all the goodies he can while still keeping us invested. ZSS wasn't too powerful before, depending on her up-air and side-special for kill power. Hopefully those boots will help to launch people earlier.

Now, a pic!

"Pic of the day. Tac (on the left) steals your charged power. If you've charged up a lot, he might steal a ton of it. Chase after him quickly to get it back!!"

Just a reminder that the 3DS version's Smash Run will have an all-star cast of enemies from all of the series, including the Subspace army. My favorite little buddy, Tac, has a special power to steal your power-ups just like he does in Kirby Super Star. He's looking pretty good in 3D, too.
Old April 17, 2014, 04:46:31 PM
Administrator

A massive image dump was released today showcasing the new/returning characters announced in last week's Nintendo Direct.

My favorites from the bunch:

Yoshi found Mario's shroom stash.

I can't stop laughing at Dedede's face.

Poor Luigi, always getting stuck in the middle of something.

Charizard likes shiny.

Charizard totally doing a face. *sets as new phone background*

Last edited by Yoshi648; April 17, 2014 at 04:56:35 PM.
Old April 18, 2014, 07:18:30 AM
Giratina

Aww, look at Isabelle, she's so cuuute~

"Pic of the day. The 3DS version will have roughly the same types of Assist Trophies and Pokémon. Just roughly…"

What does that mean, "just roughly?" What are you trying to say Sakurai? Apparently there are either going to be system-exclusive assist trophies/Pokémon or the ones that are shared are going to have different quirks. But as long as I get Isabelle I can live with it~
Old April 21, 2014, 04:25:45 AM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after each swing."

So we get two new things from Mr. Sakurai in this post-

1. Beams Swords are colorful and pretty in HD.

2. The new Fire Bar weapon will shorten as you use it. So although it may start out as a long distance melee item you'll soon have to start closing in until it's depleted. Depending on the hitstun this item causes this would be very good for characters like Little Mac who do excellent in close range combat.
Old April 22, 2014, 02:56:10 AM
Giratina

Here we are with another splendorific pic of the day!

"But Turt, that's just another NES stage like Mario Bros. You can probably just cheaply use enemies to launch them off the sides."

But no, hear Sakurai out;

"Pic of the day. Here's a special stage exclusive to the 3DS version, Balloon Fight!! The stage loops on the left and right sides so you can walk off one side and appear on the other."

I do believe this is the first stage ever in Smash Bros. that abolishes the side blast zones to loop like in the original games. That means strategy on this stage will be to work the Flipper (It might not be an item, but at least fans can get a stage hazard. Blech.) and of course that evil fish. I'd love to see what other new quirks stages have aside from the usual things we've seen.
Old April 22, 2014, 12:06:10 PM
Administrator

I wonder if going too high is still deadly. The water almost assuredly is.
Old April 22, 2014, 02:17:23 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I wonder if going too high is still deadly. The water almost assuredly is.
Of course launching people into the sky will still be an issue. Star KOs will be high. I imagine there are more stage hazards being kept from us, but with that fish you can bet the water is a 100% hazard zone. I wonder if the stage's final destination mode will bring back the blast zones? And... Last time I checked Balloon Fight was an NES game... so why is this on the 3DS?
Old April 23, 2014, 02:37:07 AM
Giratina

Poor little Waddle Dee. 'Ah, it's going to eat me!'
Old April 29, 2014, 03:18:32 AM
Giratina

I once talked about tether recoveries being eliminated with one exception, and today's that exception!

"Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab."

Looks like Sakurai's been playing quite a bit of Project M . Multiple tether recoveries can latch on to the edge just like in Project M, and they even got more reach, but the person who actually grabs it is determined by who was there first (or some other unknown physic Sakurai is keeping from us.) But the two shown here are only grabs as tethers, all other known tethers as specials have been removed.
Old April 30, 2014, 02:29:05 PM
Giratina

I was so tired I skipped out on this morning.

"Pic of the day. With the Super Leaf, any fighter can have ears and a tail. You can also float in the air by pressing the jump button. We're still figuring out whether you'll be able to attack with the tail..."

Thank you Sakurai for remembering that a Super Leaf turns you into a Raccoon and not a Tanooki. It's a nice enough sounding item, but it doesn't replace the parasol from Melee (at least... not in my heart...) I don't know if Sakurai's serious about the struggle or not, but... I suppose a sidestep/air dodge could be modified to include a tail swipe. Something like that.
Old April 30, 2014, 05:34:04 PM
Administrator

Toon Link is just too adorable like that.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:20:31 AM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. The menacing foe, Orne! It inflicts devastating damage--it's even more powerful than the Ultimate Chimera in the last game. RUNNN!!"

Even more powerful? But the Ultimate Chimera is instant death, too! But then again, I did have a lot of fun roll dodging its attacks... He can't possibly be saying that the Orne doesn't give you any grace time before chomping down on your life, is he?

Last edited by TurtwigX; May 1, 2014 at 03:20:46 AM.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:46:37 PM
Volcarona

Quote:

"Pic of the day. The menacing foe, Orne! It inflicts devastating damage--it's even more powerful than the Ultimate Chimera in the last game. RUNNN!!"

Even more powerful? But the Ultimate Chimera is instant death, too! But then again, I did have a lot of fun roll dodging its attacks... He can't possibly be saying that the Orne doesn't give you any grace time before chomping down on your life, is he?
My best guess is that the Ultimate Chimera could at least be killed if you waited for it to come down to the bottom section and knocked the platform out from under it (like this). An Orne just kinda floats there, so...
Old May 1, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePokeMan View Post
My best guess is that the Ultimate Chimera could at least be killed if you waited for it to come down to the bottom section and knocked the platform out from under it (like this). An Orne just kinda floats there, so...
...I had no idea you could do that. Now I want to.

But Ornes can be killed with the Three Sacred Treasures, so I imagine Pit's and pretty much all other final smashes aren't affected by the Orne.
Old May 2, 2014, 01:58:49 PM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. We didn't introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct. Here's Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western!! He may rival Sonic in the art of rolling."

"This is his trophy. He may be an animal, and his buckles are definitely on the adorable side, but there's no denying he looks cool!! His Assist Trophy can even do things like a quick charge."

Well, Sakurai sure is right about him being cute. But, I can recall the game he's from and he's no weakling. I've never played Dillon's Rolling Western (that last word turns me off) but with that description I'd love to see just what he can do. Sakurai already said rolling attacks and a quick charge. Does he remind anyone else of Knuckles with his hat from the Sonic movie?
Old May 2, 2014, 02:12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX, Sakurai View Post
We didn't introduce ALL of the Assist Trophies in the Smash Bros. Direct.
Good, it's hard enough avoiding the news as it is, and at this rate the game will be spoiled before-hand. At least the hype method isn't as bad as just "accidentally" leaking the roster three months before release.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 2, 2014 at 02:12:39 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 02:43:42 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Good, it's hard enough avoiding the news as it is, and at this rate the game will be spoiled before-hand. At least the hype method isn't as bad as just "accidentally" leaking the roster three months before release.
Eh, I don't see a problem with it. Especially since I'm one of those people who doesn't use assist trophies unless I'm playing with casuals.

For general spoiling, the game IS going to come out within the next two months, so when that happens nothing will be a "spoiler" anymore. I'd actually love it if I could get the whole roster released, that'd give me less of a reason to look up a "how to unlock all characters" guide. This game has no story, it's about learning how to fight with the characters and that's what I intend to do.
Old May 2, 2014, 03:34:54 PM
Rayquaza

I thought it was Mighty the Armadillo.
Old May 2, 2014, 04:14:11 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I thought it was Mighty the Armadillo.
You're telling me you thought this

was this?

You're one funny dude. Besides, don't you know all the old Sonic characters are beyond dead?
Old May 5, 2014, 07:21:02 PM
Giratina

I'm like 16 hours late than what I usually do but whatever I don't care.

"Pic of the day. You can get up on the lights of this special ring. It's a perfect secret hiding place."

"And you can attack the lights and have them fall to the ground! That makes things dark. The lights are way up high, but even Little Mac can get up there by jumping off the ropes."

So other than Little Mac remaining notorious for his terrible airgame, apparently this stage had a secret hidey-hole in the form of those lights on top. I really didn't think of that at all. And even better than that, you can break them and it looks like they're sent crashing down. That must do some incredible damage. Making assumptions from previous games they'll probably magically repair themselves as time goes on. I'd like to see the Final Destination form of this stage if it's one that gets one...
Old May 6, 2014, 03:21:16 AM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. Members of the Enemies That Love to Hide Association, here are Octorok and Met. Calmly grab them while they're ducking."

Well well, now! Two more members of the Smash Run army, and they're the kind that hide... it's very annoying. But it seems the smash twist this time around is that they're susceptible to grabs. I never would've guessed that.
Old May 8, 2014, 03:21:31 AM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. Bullet Bill here is an item. Can you guess what happens when you use it?"

Well I guess you'd be able to throw it and it'd act like one of Samus's missiles or something-

"Answer: You turn into Bullet Bill and go full speed ahead!"

Oh well, I wasn't expecting the Mario Kart version too much. How would you control your path? Are you just some wildly moving projectile of destruction? In any case, it sure does look like the item to have.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:27:22 PM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. Uniting three parts will complete the legendary Air Ride machine…the Dragoon! It's back! But we didn't just leave it the way it was, and added some nice touches to the design of the targeting screen. It is, of course, in stereoscopic 3D on the 3DS."

Oh yeah, the Dragoon is back! That one item I was always able to complete but never able to aim! Seeing its carnage in either glorious HD or 3D... I'm never turning it off on the 3DS (that is, if it looks good. And I'm sure it will.)

"Just the target screen felt lacking so here's a pic of the Dragoon itself. I wanna get on it. I wanna get on and ride it."

I WANNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE!
Looks beautiful, don't it?

Last edited by TurtwigX; May 9, 2014 at 01:29:01 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 02:21:55 AM
Giratina

"Pic of the day. Here's wire frame Little Mac--re-envisioned from the original Punch-Out!! game. The man that actually drew the pixel art wire frame in the original was none other than Shigeru Miyamoto. He said he drew the pixels for the wire frame on graph paper."

Look at those GRAPHICS, man! What other kind of alternate costumes could they think of to top this?
Old May 13, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Giratina

I feel like doing this one out of order.

"And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash."

But that's not all!

"Pic of the day. Here's Charizard's new special attack, Flare Blitz. It's a very powerful attack--however, you'll take recoil damage if you make contact. Pretty true to the original game, huh? Flare Blitz is Charizard's side special move, and Rock Smash is the down special move."

Very true to the original game :I So apparently Flare Blitz will have what I shall call "the Pichu effect" but in addition it must also be really powerful. And since gliding was axed I guess this is an alternate recovery for him since Fly doesn't have much horizontal movement.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:39:50 PM
Giratina

Sakurai here's telling us all about that funky new Pong Color TV-Game 15 Assist Trophy!

"Pic of the day. The unexpected Assist Trophy, the TV-Game 15! Color TV-Game 15 is a home entertainment system that was released in 1977 in Japan before the release of Space Invaders. This is the oldest game to join the Smash Bros. series.
Normally, controllers for these types of games had knobs with variable resistors--these allowed the players to control in-game movement by how far they twisted the knobs. The TV-Game 15 used microswitches instead. We've worked a little too hard to reenact the behavior of the original, so the paddles always move in linear paths with the same, consistent speed. We pay attention to such peculiar details!"

Well would you look at that, something beats out Game & Watch AND Cat in terms of unbelievable oldness. Not only that, but they've made the trophy to be akin to that of two people playing the ACTUAL Color TV-Game 15 and... yeah, let's just call it Pong. I appreciate the dedication.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:30:37 AM
Giratina

THE ETERNAL QUESTION HAS FINALLY BEEN ANSWERED

"Pic of the day. You can choose to play as the girl villager too!! How lovely."

YOU CAN BE THE CHICK, YAAAY! And character customization is probably just limited to color change, but whatever.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:31:42 PM
Giratina

An important update for friendlies.

"Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation."

Sakurai has given us true freedom. Bless his soul.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:18:12 PM
Giratina

I skipped out on posting this earlier, but I do believe it's pretty important.

"Pic of the day. The leg and arm positions of some characters will automatically be mirrored when facing left or right. Mario, for example, will have his chest shown in the foreground regardless of whether he's facing right or left. This was quite a tedious task, but thanks to it we can show the best features of each character even better."

"Here's another example: in the previous games, you saw the back of Kirby's head when facing left. Now Kirby looks great from any angle."

So now we'll always get a stunning of the character no matter which way they're facing. It's not a total mirror effect as in the case of people who hold weapons but it does resemble the graphics used in most (if not all) 2D fighters. I'm just wondering... will we still be able to see the backs of characters? I sure hope so, I mean, with all the detail being put into this I'd hate for any part to not be showcased.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:28:40 PM
Giratina

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS WAIT SOMETHING CRITICAL JUST HAPPENED

Ike has returned to lay waste to the battlefield! Here's what Sakurai has to say about it-

"Pic of the day. Ike, the swordsman of magnificent strength, joins the battle!! Strike your foes down with his powerful smash attacks."

"For this game, Ike's design is based on the hero that appears in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. His sword deals heavy damage in Smash Bros., so this design suits him very well! Rest assured, he can use Aether as well."

Wow, his design is so different I hardly noticed him... well not really, but he still looks different. Despite all the excitement it seems that I have (I'm more shocked that I caught this right as I was about to go to sleep) I'm actually very disappointed that Ike has returned. I was hoping he'd be cut for someone more... worthy of a slot. But it ain't over till it's over next month, and then we'll see the full roster in all of its glory. Until then I'll be keeping a close eye on all things Smash Bros.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:40:49 PM

Oh yeah, that's definitely Ike from Radiant Dawn; the jacked version of him.
Old May 23, 2014, 06:30:28 AM
Giratina

Well with Ike and Marth back in the game, can we easily say Chrom deconfirmed? I don't think Fire Emblem is gonna have a 3rd representative, but it's still an option.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:07:06 AM

I wouldn't say that he's deconfirmed. Awakening was definitely one of the most popular Fire Emblem games, and it definitely increased the popularity of the franchise. Considering how we already got 5 confirmed characters from the Mario series; which is a popular franchise, I think it'll be possible for Chrom to make his way in.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
Giratina

But then there's the difference between Mario and Fire Emblem. While the Mario series is one of Nintendo's huge 3 and the series that really started it all (including Smash BROS.), Fire Emblem is more along the lines of popular, but not wickedly important. But, don't forget there's apparently a character cap for the 3DS limitations so not everything under the sun can get into this incarnation. I can see a 3rd representative bringing them up with Kirby and Star Fox, so fingers crossed.
Old May 23, 2014, 02:56:43 PM
Administrator

Don't forget he could also make it as a boring old assist trophy.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:08:19 PM
Celebi

You guys think completely different to the other board I'm on, haha.

They think Ike's reveal boosts Chrom's chances.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:50:07 AM
Rayquaza

They provide a link on the site to Fire Emblem Awakening to learn more about him even though he wasn't in the game.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:29:17 PM
Regigigas

Well, ok... I guess it's too difficult to select different characters from the several franchises Nintendo has. I was hoping to see someone different other than Ike from Fire Emblem, but eh.

News - Looks like Smash Bros. will be playable at E3 and looks like there will be a small tourney for "the chosen onez." Wii U is getting a GameCube Controller Adapter.
Click for article.

Last edited by Sub-zero; May 29, 2014 at 12:29:57 PM.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:34:18 PM
Volcarona

I kind of wanted Chrom to replace Ike. I feel like they look too similar to be in the same game!
Old May 29, 2014, 02:23:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
News - Looks like Smash Bros. will be playable at E3 and looks like there will be a small tourney for "the chosen onez." Wii U is getting a GameCube Controller Adapter. Click for article.
That thing looks pretty sweet. I do wonder what else beyond Smash Bros. will support it. I'm hoping the Wii Mode treats it like the GameCube ports on the original Wii and that the Virtual Console (both Wii and Wii U) supports it as well.

Also, this appears to be Nintendo's first official USB adapter for a controller, which means it'll probably also work on a computer as a generic controller.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 29, 2014 at 03:51:47 PM. Reason: is -> it
Old May 29, 2014, 03:27:11 PM
Administrator

Awesome. Like Cat, I hope it can be used for most games like the Wii U Pro controller or whatever. I wonder if could also hint at GameCube virtual console games. Still pretty cool they made an adapter for controllers for a system that is two generations behind (just goes to show how awesome they were).

Also Nintendo, you should totally re-release the Wavebird. I'd love to get one but they are still outrageously priced.
Old May 29, 2014, 04:03:51 PM
Regigigas

@ Admins: Agree and agree. I'd like to play some old GameCube games on a Wii U. Course, I still have some discs, so having them read would be easier, but still... Something is something.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:10:49 PM
Giratina

I've really been sleeping on these daily posts, despite being awake each night when Sakurai posts them. For some important points this week we got:

-A new Mario stage. Don't worry, it doesn't move, it's just magic.

-A new item. A lot of Mario Kart going on. IS THE COIN GOING TO BE AN ITEM??

-And another new stage for the Fire Emblies. It's rather large. (I can see what you did there, Sakurai.)

Quote:
@ Admins: Agree and agree. I'd like to play some old GameCube games on a Wii U. Course, I still have some discs, so having them read would be easier, but still... Something is something.
An official GameCube adapter is lucky enough, and they're most likely working on VC compatibility (I mean, those ISOs were kind of large, some bigger than Wii games.) Double backwards compatibility just isn't gonna happen in this age.
Old June 10, 2014, 09:51:20 AM
Giratina

The official Smash Bros. website is finally getting a long awaited facelift. It's not on the stuidly slow American website yet, but here's a taste from the UK and Japan.

http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/
http://www.smashbros.com/jp/

Quite unsettling that they still use HD pictures for the 3DS side of that banner.

With us closing in on the release date things are being separated between the 3DS and Wii U versions. There's a home section, character list, a how to play field, and a 3DS specific page (with a Wii U specific page to come in the future.)

We also have pages for the two new fighters; Mii Character and Lady Palutena. Sakura was like "THERE, YOU CAN HAVE MIIS. NOW STOP REQUESTING STUPID THINGS. YOU WANT GOKU? MAKE GOKU. I'M DONE!"

Last edited by TurtwigX; June 10, 2014 at 09:53:20 AM.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:41:13 PM
Kyurem

Question about the Mii Fighters that might have been answered in the E3 conference...or not...but, are the three different kinds of Mii Fighters part of one collective character "Mii Fighters" or is each member of the Mii Fighters (Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner) his/her own individual character? I feel like Sakurai made a point for the latter, and then the official website seems to favor the former. So I'm really confused.

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; June 10, 2014 at 03:41:57 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:59:34 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
Question about the Mii Fighters that might have been answered in the E3 conference...or not...but, are the three different kinds of Mii Fighters part of one collective character "Mii Fighters" or is each member of the Mii Fighters (Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner) his/her own individual character? I feel like Sakurai made a point for the latter, and then the official website seems to favor the former. So I'm really confused.
I'm a bit confused as well. He says that they are treated as different characters, but that they are classes of fighter. Plus, they're completely customizable in terms of special moves. So I think the type of fighter you have would be something determined before reaching the character select screen. To save space, I'm going with one collective character.
Old June 10, 2014, 04:37:41 PM
Kyurem

I wounder if the Mii Fighters will be on the 3ds version? Be cool to see Kakashi fight on SSB
Old June 10, 2014, 04:49:32 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I wounder if the Mii Fighters will be on the 3ds version? Be cool to see Kakashi fight on SSB
Again, every character will be shared between the two versions.

Old June 10, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
Volcarona

Just revealed during a press only roundtable, Mr. Game & Watch returns while Pac-Man joins the newcomers. PAC-MAN! https://twitter.com/SmashMiiverse/st...589824/photo/1

Last edited by isbragg; June 10, 2014 at 06:49:16 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Administrator

...Pac-Man?! That's...quite a shocker, especially with Pac-Man being a multiplatform Namco character these days.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:02:32 PM
Volcarona

You've got to keep in mind that Namco is helping with the development of this game. It was only a matter of time before their mascot was confirmed.

Last edited by isbragg; June 10, 2014 at 07:02:57 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:04:54 PM
Volcarona

I remember waaay back when it was revealed Namco was working with Nintendo for SSB4, and everyone joked about "Pacman 4 god tiers". Well, I guess it's actually happening now. Now, what moveset could possibly come from this?
Old June 10, 2014, 07:05:03 PM
Giratina

Quote:
...Pac-Man?! That's...quite a shocker, especially with Pac-Man being a multiplatform Namco character these days.
Shocker? Really? Ever since Sakurai said he was teaming up with Namco people have been clamoring for Pac-Man and since the reveals of Mega Man and Sonic it almost felt like a done deal. Now we'll finally be able to have our mascot free-for-all! THIS IS DESTINY!!

"Namco is helping develop Smash Bros.? Pac-Man confirmed top tier character." -Me when Smash Bros. 4 was first announced.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:07:30 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePokeMan View Post
I remember waaay back when it was revealed Namco was working with Nintendo for SSB4, and everyone joked about "Pacman 4 god tiers". Well, I guess it's actually happening now. Now, what moveset could possibly come from this?
From the Kotaku post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
...the game features a new-style Pac-Man that can transform into an old-school pizza Pac-Man for certain attacks.

Pac-man has a fire hydrant move, and can spit out pellets and eat them, in a charge-like move. He also has a move where he can cycle through fruits.

Last edited by isbragg; June 10, 2014 at 07:09:34 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

I don't agree with Pac Man being a fighter. I think he would've been better as an assist trophy.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:47:29 PM
Rayquaza

Yeah I thought it was obvious once they announced Namco was working on the game.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:57:23 PM
Giratina

Well the site was (mostly) updated for Pac-Man with EVEN MORE CHARACTER ARTWORK!

Here's his introductory video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQFy4flXfU

And then Wreck-It Ralph just sits in the corner like

along with Mewtwo, Ridley, and Chrom

Last edited by TurtwigX; June 10, 2014 at 08:28:52 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 08:16:41 PM
Rayquaza

This is creepy

Old June 11, 2014, 07:20:51 PM
Rayquaza

Conan O'Brien playing the game with some pretty awesome new footage and witty banter.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 11, 2014 at 07:21:48 PM.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:34:42 AM
Volcarona

*lightly dusts off thread* *ahem*

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/...AADRUqGG_w5Nyg

According to Sakurai, a new challenger will be unveiled during a livestream on the official SSB4 website on Monday at 7 AM PDT/10 AM EDT/4 PM ECT.
Old July 14, 2014, 07:32:12 AM
Celebi

Lucina confirmed. Robin confirmed. And because Sakurai likes to screw with us, Chrom deconfirmed.
Old July 15, 2014, 05:58:14 PM
Kyurem

Be funny if mewtwo was actually in the game in some way. (Mega form Trophy maybe?)
Old July 29, 2014, 06:56:06 AM
Administrator

We're getting a Paper Mario themed stage!

Link

It's going to function like a book where the stage will fold over and then reveal a new area. As shown there is an area from Sticker Star including large fan sticker and the SS Flavion from Thousand Year Door. Will there also be areas from the original and Super Paper Mario?
Old July 29, 2014, 12:23:31 PM
Administrator

Ooh, it looks sweet, and I'd definitely love to see more of the stage.
Old July 31, 2014, 12:49:01 AM
Administrator

Hmm, I rather like the inclusion of a stage inspired by Pokémon Black and White. I wonder what the quirks will be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daily-en.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	6252  
Old July 31, 2014, 07:02:57 AM
Regigigas

I've been thinking.. I know the stages are being separated in order to increase sales, but would they ever make a "complete" version for the Wii U? I mean with the 3DS stages in it an all. Cause I'd rather just wait for that than buy 2 different versions.

If they did that, it would be a bad play and could lose consumer trust.. :/ I just want a complete game with all the generated content!! D:
Old July 31, 2014, 08:42:34 AM
Giratina

Man oh man, you guys aren't all that good at taking over my old job.

Quote:
I've been thinking.. I know the stages are being separated in order to increase sales, but would they ever make a "complete" version for the Wii U? I mean with the 3DS stages in it an all. Cause I'd rather just wait for that than buy 2 different versions.

If they did that, it would be a bad play and could lose consumer trust.. :/ I just want a complete game with all the generated content!! D:
No, they wouldn't. Simple as that. The 3DS is its own experience. Not everything is confirmed yet, but there's gonna be more differences than just stages. Stages as DLC are up for question, but there's a good chance they won't be from the other game. If you want the complete experience, same with Pokémon, you need both versions.
Old July 31, 2014, 02:30:32 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
No, they wouldn't. Simple as that. The 3DS is its own experience. Not everything is confirmed yet, but there's gonna be more differences than just stages. Stages as DLC are up for question, but there's a good chance they won't be from the other game. If you want the complete experience, same with Pokémon, you need both versions.
Even in Pokemon we get a third version which allows to complete the previous version if you don't have wifi and have 2 systems at your disposal.

You mentioned DLC which would probably be the best approach. That answers my question there. I forgot about DLC.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:35:19 PM
Giratina

YAY LOOK AT AXEW IN THE BACK!
Old August 16, 2014, 07:41:48 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
We're getting a Paper Mario themed stage!

Link

It's going to function like a book where the stage will fold over and then reveal a new area. As shown there is an area from Sticker Star including large fan sticker and the SS Flavion from Thousand Year Door. Will there also be areas from the original and Super Paper Mario?
Quote:
Hmm, I rather like the inclusion of a stage inspired by Pokémon Black and White. I wonder what the quirks will be.
Okay, forget the fact that i've not been a SSB fan in the past, I'm getting this one.
Old August 25, 2014, 07:13:14 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
LEAKS?

Someone in the ESRB dun goofed, because look at these leaked videos. Pretty legit looking ones (no character select screens, just fighting). If these are fake, then I gotta say they're well done ones.

DO NOT CLICK IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS although so far there's only three unknown characters in these short videos (thus far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9eH...mlVHZQ&index=1

Spoiler Alert:    
Shulk, Bowser Jnr. and Ganondorf (who was probably a given anyway).
something from another forum I go on… This is quite interesting, but as the quote says, they're spoilers so if you don't wanna be spoiled, don't open
Old August 25, 2014, 07:40:54 AM
Celebi

Here are the original photos:

Spoiler Alert:    

Name:	ssb4.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	6363

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 25, 2014 at 02:14:02 PM. Reason: Ahem, watch the language
Old August 25, 2014, 11:12:41 AM
Rayquaza

Spoiler Alert:    
Who is the dog?

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 25, 2014 at 12:17:11 PM.
Old August 25, 2014, 12:17:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Spoiler Alert:    
Who is the dog?
Spoiler Alert:    
Dog from Duck Hunt
Old August 25, 2014, 02:19:01 PM
Administrator

Considering the video was pulled due to copyright, I'm at least putting a little bit of credibility in these particular leaks. But those copyright pulls can be faked, just like leaks can, so who knows...

Anyway, here are the higher quality ones. Credit to a guy named Nicholas2222.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA000 (2).jpg
Views:	409
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA000.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	6365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA001 (2).jpg
Views:	410
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	6366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA001.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	6367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA002 (2).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	6368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA002.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	6369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA003 (2).jpg
Views:	412
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	6370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140818-WA004.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	6371  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 25, 2014 at 02:26:46 PM.