Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 23, 2015, 05:09:11 PM
Charizard

Default Steam Workshop

Now here's a interesting topic, what's everyone's thoughts on Valves new money-grubbing scheme where they get you to pay for mods that other people made and then take 75% of the profits for doing nothing! I think it's terrible, I'm all for paying for mods as it's going to give the creators the funding they need to make more quality mods making this a career choice for select people, but with valve taking 75% of the profits then what's the point? It's shameful really.

Last edited by Music; April 23, 2015 at 05:11:02 PM.
Old April 23, 2015, 09:16:01 PM
Keldeo

I'm not too worried, so far Bethesda and Valve are the only ones I've heard speak favorably about it. Saw a few people talking about just enabling donations (okay, okay, demanding that they just enable donations), wonder why they didn't just do that. PR, much?

More so than this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
take 75% of the profits
I'm worried that we're going to start seeing cheap "[more attractive] FEMALE CHARACTER MODELS" topping the popularity charts every week. I'm not saying every paid mod has to look like Enderal but I have a funny feeling that the difference in quality between paid mods and free mods is going to be negligible.

And then Valve'll be like "eh, screw it, we're going to make you pay for ALL mods you download."

Has Nexus said anything about this yet?
Old April 23, 2015, 11:18:21 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
I'm not too worried, so far Bethesda and Valve are the only ones I've heard speak favorably about it. Saw a few people talking about just enabling donations (okay, okay, demanding that they just enable donations), wonder why they didn't just do that. PR, much?

More so than this

I'm worried that we're going to start seeing cheap "[more attractive] FEMALE CHARACTER MODELS" topping the popularity charts every week. I'm not saying every paid mod has to look like Enderal but I have a funny feeling that the difference in quality between paid mods and free mods is going to be negligible.

And then Valve'll be like "eh, screw it, we're going to make you pay for ALL mods you download."

Has Nexus said anything about this yet?
SKSE has come out with this
  • SKSE (and all of our other Script Extenders) will remain FREE to use for everyone. We will not charge anyone for it. Ever.
  • Creators of mods which depend upon SKSE must make their own choices regarding whether to ask for payment for their mods.
  • We will not receive any partial payment from those sales.
  • Reasons for #2 and #3: See #1.

and Nexus have come out and said this and then this was said about a month ago.
Old April 27, 2015, 01:29:54 PM
Keldeo

I have no idea if this source is reliable, but I found this and it looks sort of interesting: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/va...ing-paid-mods/
Old April 28, 2015, 09:38:54 AM
Volcarona

It's official, paid mods are dead. http://kotaku.com/valve-cancels-paid...rim-1700526130