Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 12, 2015, 04:37:30 PM
Kyurem

Default Satoru Iwata Passes Away at 55

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I figured this was as good a place as any.

On July 11th, 2015, Satoru Iwata passed away due to a bile duct growth. Iwata had taken time off to treat this persisting health issue, skipping E3 2014 due to his health. Iwata was 55 years old. There is no news regarding who will succeed his position, though the reins have currently fallen to representative directors Genyo Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto.

Iwata was responsible as producer of many of the early Kirby games and Earthbound. He was also executive producer to many games following them, including Mario, Pokémon, Metroid, WarioWare, and many other Nintendo titles.

Condolences to all his friends and family, R.I.P.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf
Old July 12, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
Administrator

Man, that was sudden. I knew he was having health issues recently (like not showing up to E3) but didn't realize his condition was that severe.

Iwata was an honorable man. He was actually a programmer and a gamer. He wasn't in it for the money, he was in it because of a passion for games.
''On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.''

He had a good sense of humor and actually listened to fans. Sure he had a few blunders, but who doesn't? Such a shame he won't even get to see the launch of the NX platform.

Rest in peace Mr Iwata. I'd like to give my thanks *directly* to you.

Last edited by Yoshi648; July 12, 2015 at 06:41:49 PM.
Old July 12, 2015, 06:50:18 PM

This definitely came out of left field today, didn't it? I don't think anyone could of predicted just how bad his condition was. It's still fresh in my mind...just how bizarrely sudden this all is. I really hate that he's gone, and at such a relatively young age too. Only 55...my dad is older than he was. But on the plus side, he accomplished so many amazing things in his lifetime and has left a remarkable impact on our lives while he was here with all the things he helped bring to us for our enjoyment and entertainment. He was sincere about game design - for the interest of the fans, not for the money. Hopefully more game designers will take after him.

Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata.
Old July 12, 2015, 07:29:17 PM
Charizard

Liking the post sorta came out wrong now that I think of it, it's all in respect though as it is truly is a sad day, he was one of the few CEO's that actually cared about gaming and for him to leave us at only 55 is a travesty.
Old July 12, 2015, 08:05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
Liking the post sorta came out wrong now that I think of it..
/offtopic

Yeah that always confuses me for these types of topics. Do I like the post to thank the poster for bringing this discussion about and to honor the person, or does it seem like I'm glad they are gone?
Old July 12, 2015, 08:26:32 PM
Charizard

I really teared up a while ago when I first heard of it. It's hard to put what I want to say into words.

He really did amazing things in his lifetime, like programming EarthBound from scratch and compressing G/S so that they could fit the Kanto region in the games. He even cut his own salary when Nintendo was going through rough times. What he did for gaming is something that can never be repaid.
Something that saddens me is that his last public statement was a public apology to people (especially Metroid fans raging about a game that isn't even out yet) who were unsatisfied with E3- the E3 he couldn't even be at for health reasons. But even so, he was always so full of resolve. And he left with Mario Maker, so that 'we can create our own games and make our own dreams come true, like he did.'

Rest in peace you glorious, inspirational, fun-loving, brilliant man.
Old July 12, 2015, 09:19:10 PM
Keldeo

My head is spinning, guys . . . well, looks like everything's already been said. So, uh . . . we ready to start inducting actual people into the video game hall of fame? Because this feels like a good time to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemanmdj View Post
And he left with Mario Maker, so that we can create our own games and make our own dreams come true, like he did.
This is honestly a bit creepy ._.
Old July 12, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
Administrator

For those of you who want some more feels, this song from Earthbound has been going around:

5:11 was from Iwata himself...

I really need to finish Earthbound now.
Old July 13, 2015, 12:15:49 AM
Kyurem

Oh, goodness... He's way too young to just die like this. It's kind of distressing to know that you can just go like that.

I think some things are never going to be the same after this. Man was legendary, from what I have heard about his earlier days, and I found it to be nice that he was there for the whole past decade. He seemed to be a really great person too.

Rest in peace.
Old July 14, 2015, 07:48:04 PM
Administrator

I don't really have much to say that hasn't already been said, but he has accomplished a lot in his lifetime, and Nintendo (as well as much of the current battlefield of gaming) wouldn't be where it is today without him.
Old July 16, 2015, 12:53:41 AM
Kyurem

I hear without him, pokemon gold and silver would have never been made at all. But i liked the guy he made me feel like i could trust nintendo at times.