Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 11, 2015, 09:36:56 PM
Keldeo

Default Mario Maker

So I'm not seeing any threads on this subject yet, which is a little strange. Anyway, it's out in all regions now, and I like it quite a bit so far, maybe even more so than ORAS. What you all think about it?

Also: FD6C-0000-0018-C73C :^)
Old September 12, 2015, 09:30:41 AM
Administrator

I'm getting it soon enough, once I get a chance to play it.
Old September 16, 2015, 07:41:34 PM
Cyndaquil

I'd honestly like to know more about it. How indepth is it? What Mario games can you take after? Like is it only SMB1, 3 and U? No 2, World, or anything else? Is Mario and Luigi the only playable characters? Can you change the music, backgrounds, add cool stuff like secret exits, is there a lot of enemy variety from all the games? How complex can you make stages, is there a length limit?

Also one thing I'd really like is the ability to add elements from different Mario games into one stage. Like a SMW background with SMB3 music and SMB1 enemies but SMBU warp pipes. I wouldn't do that but that's an example. Is that in, too?
Old September 16, 2015, 09:22:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain of Scams View Post
I'd honestly like to know more about it. How indepth is it? What Mario games can you take after? Like is it only SMB1, 3 and U? No 2, World, or anything else? Is Mario and Luigi the only playable characters? Can you change the music, backgrounds, add cool stuff like secret exits, is there a lot of enemy variety from all the games? How complex can you make stages, is there a length limit?

Also one thing I'd really like is the ability to add elements from different Mario games into one stage. Like a SMW background with SMB3 music and SMB1 enemies but SMBU warp pipes. I wouldn't do that but that's an example. Is that in, too?
I'm also curious of some of these questions. My assumption for the last one is that you can only choose one style for the game to be in, but I cannot confirm nor deny that.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 16, 2015 at 09:22:52 PM.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:10:12 PM
Keldeo

I'm still messing around with it, haven't unlocked everything, but from what I know already:

1. You have graphics sets from SMB, 3, World and U.
2. I think you can use Amiibo to reskin the player, and I think there are different things that you can unlock in-game to turn Mario into a Goomba or whatever, but I've done neither so I'm not sure.
3. So far I've seen the four backgrounds from SMB1, as in the overworld, cave, underwater and castle. Not sure if there any more, like the New Super * jungles or anything. Haven't paid attention to music so I don't know how much you can customize that.
4. I doubt there are any secret exits, since basically all of the levels are one-shots that don't necessarily relate to each other. Dunno if there's a way to link the levels saved to your Wii U's hard drive, though.
5. I think they advertised as all enemies and most platforming features from all four games, and things that existed in some games but not others (spring boards and donut blocks weren't in SMB1, for example) were re-drawn and implemented so they could be used with any aesthetic.
6. There's a limit to level size, but they give you a lot of space. Also you can contract it quite a bit and set the starting point to wherever, so you don't have to make a long level if you don't want to.
7. As far as I know the different aesthetics are locked, you have to have all-SMB, all-SMB3, all-World or all-SMBU.
Old September 17, 2015, 12:00:00 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
2. I think you can use Amiibo to reskin the player, and I think there are different things that you can unlock in-game to turn Mario into a Goomba or whatever, but I've done neither so I'm not sure.
You can use Amiibo to reskin Mario, but it requires the Mystery Mushroom, which can only be used in the Mario 1 set. This is only bad because each game set has the mechanics of the game it's based on, so Mario 1 is by far the most restrictive set. You can't spin jump, wall jump, or use Yoshi, and the main lure for using the Mario 1 set for levels is the Mystery Mushroom (and the retro aspect).

Also: C2BA-0000-0044-1E3F

Last edited by ThePokeMan; September 19, 2015 at 05:10:51 PM. Reason: whoops I deleted that course
Old September 17, 2015, 04:32:05 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, that reminds me, if anyone has neat levels, please post them. I'll certainly go through them when I get the game.

Something I kind of wish would be in it is a world map and thus a level pack, perhaps building an entire game out of it. (And if they wanted to go nuts, they could create a whole rating system with those and maybe even allow you to give folks a "tip" of Nintendo funds to buy digital goods.)
Old September 18, 2015, 12:11:43 PM
Keldeo

Made another one: 30F6-0000-004B-96AB Not quite as silly as my first one, but still something, I guess.

Also if anyone wants to add DragoniteSpam on Wii U, that'd be me.
Old September 19, 2015, 05:09:45 PM
Volcarona

So I made a challenging level...

EA8A-0000-0052-CA0A
Old October 2, 2015, 07:43:37 PM
Cyndaquil

Ah, well that all sort of bums me out... I'll still get it though. Well, whenever I get the chance. I HOPE TO PLAY ALL YOUR LEVELS SOON. And by soon I mean months, I don't even own a Wii U.
Old September 5, 2017, 06:09:30 PM
Mudkip

It's a shame these levels will no longer be able to be shared online.