Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 25, 2016, 12:57:50 AM
Administrator

In addition to a selection of movies from BuyBacks, (mostly posting this because Seiji would be interested) I picked up a brand new USB floppy drive from Savers for $5. It even still has that new plastic smell.

If you've never been to a BuyBacks, it's a relic that lives on by nostalgia of classic video stores and customer satisfaction. They sell thousands of Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, games across many consoles, and even VHS tapes and audiocassettes. Many of them are traded in by customers.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 25, 2016 at 01:11:10 AM.
Old September 11, 2016, 08:18:32 AM
Keldeo

Here's a different one (at least on my standards): two dozen empty DS cases so all of the free-floating games in my drawer are now much less at risk of grinding each other to pieces. Now to print out substitute covers for them all . . .
Old September 11, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Here's a different one (at least on my standards): two dozen empty DS cases so all of the free-floating games in my drawer are now much less at risk of grinding each other to pieces. Now to print out substitute covers for them all . . .
If you are looking for the original scans on a much nicer organized website, check here.
Old September 11, 2016, 04:17:06 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
If you are looking for the original scans on a much nicer organized website, check here.
Yeah, that's usually where I go if I can't find any nice alternatives. The fan art tends to have good alternatives for (a) new games or (b) popular retro games, but unfortunately not a whole lot that I like for things like GBA Golden Sun :P
Old September 11, 2016, 04:26:24 PM
Administrator

Due to the new cases that Shadowfox has been working on, the administrator (Shenske) pretty much has been redoing all their cover art for the classic consoles. That's where a lot of effort has been focused in general.

More recent systems have been focused on directly scanning the original case inserts to be re-printed for the same case, as actual cases exist and the labels are standard. In the case of the Game Boy line, they've been adjusting dimensions to fit in DS cases.

If you can, get yourself some semi-gloss photo paper. It's well worth it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 11, 2016 at 04:28:14 PM.
Old September 11, 2016, 05:01:44 PM
Keldeo

I don't have any glossy photo paper, unfortunately, although right now my main goal is to put something on the cases so that I can tell them apart from each other without having to take everything off the shelf and open it.

Also, for what it's worth: these aren't the BEST quality cases I've ever seen, they don't close properly all the way if there's a GBA game in that slot, so if you ever see someone selling 25 DS boxes for like four dollars I'm not sure if I'd recommend it :P
Old September 11, 2016, 05:04:14 PM
Kyurem

Not my purchase, but my roommate's: an IBM PCjr that he got off Craigslist for $30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_165339.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	6891

Came with two memory expansions and a parallel printer adapter. And it's nice.

Sadly, graphics hardware problem + onboard graphics = motherboard replacement needed. We tore it down but gave up trying to find the faulty chip. But we found one on ebay for 40 bucks and if all goes well, we'll still have invested less than what one of these is really worth.
Old September 11, 2016, 06:33:33 PM
Administrator

Wow, a PCjr! Nice find, and good luck getting it in running order again.

Quote:
Also, for what it's worth: these aren't the BEST quality cases I've ever seen, they don't close properly all the way if there's a GBA game in that slot, so if you ever see someone selling 25 DS boxes for like four dollars I'm not sure if I'd recommend it
I wonder, perhaps, if they are the generic cases that GameStop used for their DS games. Do they give off a strange scent unlike the normal cases, and do any of them feel particularly dry-rotted? If one is damaged, try bending it with your hands. Those typically snap into many pieces.
Old September 11, 2016, 06:58:21 PM
Keldeo

I don't think they are. For what it's worth they arrived in an oversized box with a pretty bad shrink wrap job, and I kind of got the impression that they were 3D printed in someone's basement or something.
Old September 14, 2016, 03:25:37 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Wow, a PCjr! Nice find, and good luck getting it in running order again.
That we did! Here it is put together:

Name:	20160914_190304.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	6905

It came with some disks as well -- PC-DOS 2.10, something called Video Vegas, and eight unlabeled disks (two of which contain copies of Lotus 1-2-3, two of which are blank, and four of which are dead). Unfortunately the memory sidecar doesn't work so we're stuck with 128K -- evidently not enough to run any of the programs we have.

By the way, the mobo we ordered was new-in-box and it was mint! I almost felt bad putting the old, dusty disk drive and power supply on it but hey, working parts are working parts.
Old September 14, 2016, 03:48:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
It came with some disks as well -- PC-DOS 2.10, something called Video Vegas, and eight unlabeled disks (two of which contain copies of Lotus 1-2-3, two of which are blank, and four of which are dead). Unfortunately the memory sidecar doesn't work so we're stuck with 128K -- evidently not enough to run any of the programs we have.
Hm, 5ź" floppies came in several different sizes. The ones in that picture are 360 KB double-density disks, specifically created as an IBM-compatible standard to counteract the competing sizes. Later, 1.2 MB high-density disks came out, and those were incompatible with the older drives. Are the dead disks the correct kind?
Old September 15, 2016, 05:16:41 PM
Haxorus

Photos will come later, and I probably shouldn't have, but I bought a Magnavox Movie-Maker camcorder from 1988 for $10 at Goodwill. It came with a carry case, a wired remote, a mono audio/composite video-out adapter, and two dead lead-acid batteries, but no charging dock.

Looks like I'll be working on a reverse-engineering project in the near future.
Old September 15, 2016, 09:52:35 PM
Administrator

Had a couple minutes to kill this afternoon, so popped into a Savers (thrift store). Got a Apple A1243 keyboard for $3 (to re-sell for ~$30) and a PlayStation 3 (CECHG model, last of the fat units, sadly no PS2 support) for $15. I did a power-on test at the store and didn't get the dreaded yellow light of death so hopefully it's a good system. EDIT: Gah, it powers on fine (and had a previous user of the name "poo" with no data on it), but the blu-ray drive doesn't seem to work, won't even take in a disc. I'll probably take a look this weekend, see if it's something easily fixable.

Last edited by Yoshi648; September 15, 2016 at 10:16:01 PM.
Old September 16, 2016, 04:39:06 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
a PlayStation 3 (CECHG model, last of the fat units, sadly no PS2 support) for $15
o_o

*runs out to thrift store*
Old September 16, 2016, 08:33:15 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiji J. Konokama View Post
Photos will come later, and I probably shouldn't have, but I bought a Magnavox Movie-Maker camcorder from 1988 for $10 at Goodwill. It came with a carry case, a wired remote, a mono audio/composite video-out adapter, and two dead lead-acid batteries, but no charging dock.

Looks like I'll be working on a reverse-engineering project in the near future.
Quick update: Despite having two completely dead batteries and no charger to use with them, I was able to do some basic function tests on the camcorder by powering it with a spare 12-volt, 2-amp power supply and two alligator leads connected to the battery terminals inside the unit. The camcorder is rated 12 V at 15 watts which, according to my electrical calculator app, translates to 1.25 amps; From experience with other older devices, I found that it's acceptable to use a power supply that is rated just a little bit higher in amperage than the device that it's powering, as long as the voltage is the same. Anyway, the camcorder powers up, records and plays back, and ejects with no difficulties and no destroyed cassettes. The little CRT-based viewfinder had a little bit of debris on the 45-degree mirror that was fairly easy to clean with just a quick blast of compressed air, a cotton swab and a spritz of some lens cleaner. Very pleased that it works flawlessly, even for 1988 camcorder technology.

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; September 16, 2016 at 08:40:03 PM.
Old September 21, 2016, 06:05:20 PM
Cyndaquil

Pokemon Red on virtual console
Old September 25, 2016, 09:39:50 AM
Administrator

So that $15 PS3 I got the other week, I bought another blu-ray drive for $30 and swapped it in. The system works fine now, so $45 total for a working original PS3.

Story and old joke here    

Now I already have the regular slim PS3 as my system, and Cat expressed interest in this one as he doesn't have one. As Cat likes to break everything, knowing his luck he'll have that one YLOD after a week. I've been considering getting the super slim system for myself as I like the smaller form factor and it has a disc drive that's a lot simpler and less easy to break. So... I wound up getting a super slim system for myself off eBay, so I'll use that as my system , I'll give Cat the more reliable regular slim system, and then just re-sell this original one I fixed up.

I have my new super slim here, I have the slim one as I need to transfer my data over before giving it to Cat, and I don't have the regular one for sale yet. So for the time being...

I have 3 PS3s

Last edited by Yoshi648; September 25, 2016 at 09:40:19 AM.
Old October 1, 2016, 08:50:46 PM
Administrator

So today was funny.

First at a garage sale this morning, I got a Wii with all the hookups, manuals, nunchuck, and extra rubber protectors for $15. It's the later release which didn't have GameCube support. Got it to resell for a couple extra bucks.

Then this evening I was at Savers where I found ANOTHER Wii for $30. This is the original release with GameCube support, and included all hookups and two Wiimotes + Nunchucks. Also came home with me for resale.

So yeah, two completely different places at different times in one day, and got the same console both times
Old October 1, 2016, 10:23:59 PM
Administrator

Well, I now have Yoshi's slim PS3, and I'll be paying him for that in a few days. I also picked up Sly Cooper 4 ($7) and Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition ($14) at BuyBacks today.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 1, 2016 at 10:24:09 PM.
Old October 2, 2016, 04:33:53 PM
Keldeo

And with the bunch of gift cards I have got myself Bioshock Collection. I also preorder Sun and Moon because I was there and could afford to.
Old October 6, 2016, 12:30:21 PM
Keldeo

So by a strange trick of fate I was at New York Comic Con this afternoon. These things happened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CuHHMs_WcAE5VAe.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	6928  
Old October 6, 2016, 09:05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So by a strange trick of fate I was at New York Comic Con this afternoon. These things happened.
That Dragonite plushie is adorable.

Went to Savers again today, got some more stuff to re-sale

Nintendo 64 bundle consisting of: system with jumper pack + all hookups + standard gray controller + Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, Blast Corps, Automobili Lamborghini, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron all for $50 total. When I brought it to the checkout counter the guy said "Wow, cool find! I remember playing Smash Brothers on one of these."
TI-83+ graphing calculator - $5 - Might wind up giving this to my sister since she borrowed mine two years ago and never gave it back

They also had ANOTHER Wii system, but were asking $50 for it which is about what it's worth. They also had two extra sets of AV and power cables for them. They also had a PS2 for $5, but when I plugged it in to test it it wouldn't power on so left it as it wouldn't be worth the hassle for only a few dollars. After walking around the store and coming back to electronics a women was looking at it. I told her it wasn't working, but she took it anyway. There was also a second one for $15 but the label on it said it wouldn't read discs.

Last edited by Yoshi648; October 6, 2016 at 09:31:54 PM.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:38:20 AM
Haxorus

On my way into town, I had brought $2 in change with the original intent of treating myself to a couple of candy bars, because I hadn't had candy in a while, but as I left my street, a huge fluorescent pink sign caught my attention, advertising a huge yard sale. Then I thought, "Hm, maybe I should skip the grocery store on the way home and go straight to that sale." And so, on my way back home from a meeting with one of my clients, I stopped at that sale, and it turned out to be one of those where any money made during the sale goes to a local charity. I ended up using that $2 in change to buy:
- A silver original Game Boy Advance and a small handful of games. Original price was $10.
- A Casio battery-powered adding machine, for 50˘.
- Another stereo RCA dubbing cable, for 25˘.

Even if none of these devices actually work, I have no regrets. In fact, I feel better about giving my $2 to a charity rather than to either the Mars Corporation or the Hershey Company.

EDIT (10-9-2016): The printing calculator works as a typical four-function calculator, but it will not print and instead throws a "printer error." I'm not sure if it had to do with anything, but when I opened the case, I noticed a blown-out transistor and some damaged traces on the circuit board underneath the transistor. While I could theoretically buy a replacement transistor and repair the traces, I feel that it's really not worth investing $2 into repairing a 50˘ calculator, so I'll just use it like a desktop calculator. The Game Boy Advance, the games, and the RCA cable, on the other hand, work flawlessly, despite having to pull a piece of toothpick out of the Game Boy's headphone port. Why that was in there, I'll never know.

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; October 9, 2016 at 07:55:48 AM. Reason: Update on tech finds
Old October 7, 2016, 04:34:58 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiji J. Konokama View Post
On my way into town, I had brought $2 in change with the original intent of treating myself to a couple of candy bars, because I hadn't had candy in a while, but as I left my street, a huge fluorescent pink sign caught my attention, advertising a huge yard sale. Then I thought, "Hm, maybe I should skip the grocery store on the way home and go straight to that sale."
Candy, archaic hardware, same thing, right? :D
Old October 7, 2016, 09:53:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Candy, archaic hardware, same thing, right?
Do I now need to have someone manufacture sugary candies that look like PCI cards?
Old October 8, 2016, 05:42:52 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Do I now need to have someone manufacture sugary candies that look like PCI cards?
No, because I would eat so many of them that my teeth go on strike against me.
Old October 21, 2016, 03:59:55 PM
Cyndaquil

XBox 360 controller from Game stop
Old November 17, 2016, 08:49:56 PM
Keldeo

It is here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CxhVoxOUUAAJkgn.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	6943  
Old November 17, 2016, 11:29:58 PM
Administrator

Cool

The Sun is warm.

Also, #TeamValor or whatever. I don't play Pokémon GO Away, so I'll give that to a friend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02662.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	6944  
Old November 18, 2016, 05:10:15 AM
Administrator

Really, no one is getting Moon? I thought everyone here was night owls

I will be picking up Sun after work in 12 hours. Ugh this is going to be a long day of staring at the clock.
Old December 16, 2016, 02:05:38 PM
Keldeo

It's going to be nice to own a 3DS with a working L button, an actual circle pad, reliable Internet connectivity, a volume slider and a battery that lasts more than an hour again!

Also I didn't read how unapologetically enormous the New XL was until I actually held it in my hands. Carrying that thing around's going to be fun. :D

Edit: okay so the new forum is apparently rejecting my attachment URL so I'll do this in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cz1UnwYUsAEyaBn[1].jpg
Views:	597
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	6965  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 16, 2016 at 04:05:25 PM. Reason: Testing another method of attaching from a URL
Old April 11, 2017, 02:05:49 AM
Administrator

Two Zelda games: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.
Old May 5, 2017, 04:42:09 PM
Administrator

At a garage sale today, I found a copy of Final Fantasy VII for $2.
Old May 27, 2017, 04:58:15 PM
Cyndaquil

I just bought Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:42:17 AM
Administrator

Well, they're not video games, but they're still games. I picked up the following board games recently:
  • Carcassonne: Amazonas
  • Caverna: The Cave Farmers
  • Samurai Spirit
  • Blokus
  • Upwords
Old August 18, 2017, 11:38:49 AM
Haxorus

After visiting a Hospice-owned resale shop, I brought home an IBM branded 5.25" floppy disk box and Super Simon, a Milton Bradley/Hasbro game from 1980 that takes the classic Simon Says game concept to a new level, adding more difficulty modes and a second set of lighted buttons to let you compete with a friend. I plan to restore the game sometime or another, and I'll use the disk box to store any optical discs that shipped in a paper envelope.

Both items were marked $2 each, but it just so happened that today they had a sale going on, where items that were marked $5 and under had a 50% markdown. When the day was over, I walked off with both the game and the disk box after paying only $2.

I also spotted, but did not buy, an Olympus digital camera that the shop wanted $10 for, but I did notice that an 8 MB SmartMedia card was included with the set. This was one of those rare occurrences to see that the previous owner included storage media for the camera itself; in this neck of the woods, it's common to see that the camera comes with everything (e.g. cables, lens covers, cases, etc) except the required media. This was the determining factor that caused me to go for the QuickTake 150 a couple years ago rather than the QuickTake 200.

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; August 18, 2017 at 11:39:36 AM.
Old August 20, 2017, 11:43:17 AM
Administrator

Pokémon Moon. I'd like to try this again with 14 Pokémon and not worrying about HMs.
Old August 27, 2017, 04:07:41 PM
Administrator

Haven't posted here in a while (only nine months).

Actually haven't gotten much stuff recently worth mentioning aside from two things. First I got a Nintendo Switch back in early April and I got Mario Kart 8 DX on release day. I got pre-orders for Super Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Ultra Salt Sun.

Second a few weeks ago I found an old laptop at a thrift store for $15. It's a IBM Thinkpad T41, with a Intel M 1.6GHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, ATI Radeon 7500, 40GB HDD, and DVD drive. It originally came with XP (which of course the previous owner didn't bother erasing any of their personal stuff from....), but it was also available with Windows 98. I did a clean install of Windows 98 SE on it and turned it into a classic Windows PC gaming system. Runs pretty well with everything I've tried on it so far. Even running off it's original battery for this photo (only lasts about half an hour). I recently joined the Thinkpad club with a more modern X230 so finding this was a nice surprise.

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 27, 2017 at 04:18:17 PM.
Old September 2, 2017, 12:51:59 PM
Charizard

I recently bought a vape mod, as well as some new headphones! I'm not posting the mod as idk if there's a rule against that or not, but the headphones are Sennheiser HD650.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:20:47 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Second a few weeks ago I found an old laptop at a thrift store for $15. It's a IBM Thinkpad T41, with a Intel M 1.6GHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, ATI Radeon 7500, 40GB HDD, and DVD drive. It originally came with XP (which of course the previous owner didn't bother erasing any of their personal stuff from....), but it was also available with Windows 98. I did a clean install of Windows 98 SE on it and turned it into a classic Windows PC gaming system. Runs pretty well with everything I've tried on it so far. Even running off it's original battery for this photo (only lasts about half an hour). I recently joined the Thinkpad club with a more modern X230 so finding this was a nice surprise.
Welcome to the ThinkPad club, Yoshi.
My ThinkPad 385ED will turn 20 next month, and I recently decided to discontinue using Windows 98 with it in favor of Windows 95 OSR2, because that's as close to the original OS as I can get, on the ThinkPad's account.

Speaking of Windows 95, I just recently picked up a copy of the first Command & Conquer game in the series for $1.60 at the same shop where I found my Super Simon game. I would have preferred that it came in a box just for completeness, but at least the CD jewel case and the containing discs are immaculate. The manual, though rubber-banded to the jewel case, seems like it never got too much use. For $1.60, I can't complain, considering the entire C&C compilation runs for $19.99 on EA Origin. To be honest, I personally never liked Command & Conquer beyond the first game and its expansions.