Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you like Pokémon 12?
AWESOME!! 11 55.00%
It was great. 3 15.00%
Pretty good, but not astounding. 2 10.00%
Meh. 1 5.00%
BORING! 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old November 20, 2009, 07:02:34 PM
Administrator

Default The epicness of Arceus and the Jewel of Life *SPOILERS*

I honestly thought that this movie was one of the best in the series, using many real-life themes in appropriate manner and capturing the audience's attention with lots of flashy special effects ( explosions). Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina made imporant appearances in the movie, but Darkrai and Shaymin had to bite the dust until the end credits rolled around. (Oh, Cartoon Network's decision to take out the credits music and REPLACE IT WITH A MUSIC VIDEO--aka another song--for Ben 10: Alien Swarm was probably one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen the network take.) Other than that, I loved the movie and highly recommend it to anyone else.

What were your impressions? Vote and explain.
Old November 20, 2009, 07:06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: The epicness of Arceus and the Jewel of Life *SPOILERS*

This was definitely one of the best Pokémon movies. I liked how all three of the Diamond/Pearl movies tied together, as if they were one giant movie in themselves! All the battles were pretty epic. Although Arceus' voice sounded weird, it still wasn't that bad. And like you I agree that whoever at Cartoon Network thought it was a good idea to screw the ending, IS A GIANT BIDOOF (and this isn't the first time they have done this)!
Old November 20, 2009, 08:08:51 PM
Shaymin

Wow i'm watching it and I love to part at the start during the theme song whan they are versing those kids and Heracross and beautifly use hyper beam and solarbaem and pikachu and piplup squeeze together.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:35:17 PM
Haxorus

I like this one, ALOT. It has a great story, realistic looking corn, and Dan Green.

(Most random post ever.)
Old November 20, 2009, 09:42:01 PM
Administrator

Oh, I'd like to point out one more fail. On the standard definition broadcast, they aired the whole movie in what looks like a zoom format (not even pan & scan), instead of the native widescreen format; the previous two were aired in widescreen. Zoom is where they literally zoom in on the middle of the screen to fit the 4:3 frame. Pan & scan is where they do the zooming, except move the focal point of the zoom to wherever the action is, sometimes having slight edits to make text fit on the screen; usually, they zoom out for credits (unless they were re-printed for the edit).

I'll get a picture up shortly.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:54:42 PM
Keldeo

Ahhhh I missed it...;w;

I always miss these things even if I have my mind set on seeing em. >3>
Old November 20, 2009, 09:56:12 PM
Administrator

Image 1
Title screen for Giratina & the Sky Warrior. Notice the bars above and below the picture, indicating it is a letterboxed widescreen movie. This picture was taken from a recording of the Cartoon Network airing earlier this year.

Image 2
Title screen for Arceus & the Jewel of Life. Notice the lack of bars surrounding the picture, indicating that this movie is being aired in standard 4:3. This picture was taken from a recording of the CN airing today.

Image 3
A scene from the intro song. Notice the text rolling off the edge of the screen, indicating either a cheap zoom or a poor pan & scan presentation. This picture was also taken from a recording of the CN airing today.

My question is: Why didn't Cartoon Network just air Movie 12 in widescreen on the regular broadcast like Movies 10 and 11? (I never caught any ones before that at premiere, but I do know that most of them had a PROPER pan & scan version created, and I have seen Pokémon Heroes air in widescreen before.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gira_title.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	120   Click image for larger version

Name:	arceus_title.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	121   Click image for larger version

Name:	arceus_fail.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	122  

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 30, 2009 at 09:44:25 AM.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:59:19 PM
Shaymin

@cat: Oh now I see what you mean, yeah your right.
Old November 21, 2009, 03:07:54 AM
Rayquaza

Why are we talking about this now? The episodes have been in HD since Classroom Training but they stopped with Frozen on there tracks for some reason, but Cartoon Networks logic doesn't ever make a lot of sense.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:06:02 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
I honestly thought that this movie was one of the best in the series, using many real-life themes in appropriate manner and capturing the audience's attention with lots of flashy special effects ( explosions). Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina made imporant appearances in the movie, but Darkrai and Shaymin had to bite the dust until the end credits rolled around. (Oh, Cartoon Network's decision to take out the credits music and REPLACE IT WITH A MUSIC VIDEO--aka another song--for Ben 10: Alien Swarm was probably one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen the network take.) Other than that, I loved the movie and highly recommend it to anyone else.

What were your impressions? Vote and explain.

LOVED IT!!!!!!! Wish I could pre-order the DVD now (when did the dub get good?! so nice to be able to own the entire space-time trilogy without any rap or TR self-awareness!) But I agree about that stupid Ben 10 video cutting off the ending - now I know we aren't getting "Kokoro no Antenna", but I could barely see any of the scenes squeezed into the side (anyone know what the ending song was like in the dub if they showed it in Australia??) Speaking of which, there was huge article just the other day in the Star Ledger about annoying on-screen pop-up ads, and I'm sure everone noticed Ben (10) popping up at least twice, fully animated grinning with him arms folded , as well as Kevin's car (I only know his name from the commercial this morning) zooming across the screen, both advertising the Alien force movie, which had CN is been giving top priority to, and likely partly to blame for the constant resceduling of Pokemon. Like I said, I can't want to have the DVD...
Old November 21, 2009, 08:58:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfInnocence
Speaking of which, there was huge article just the other day in the Star Ledger about annoying on-screen pop-up ads, and I'm sure everone noticed Ben (10) popping up at least twice, fully animated grinning with him arms folded , as well as Kevin's car (I only know his name from the commercial this morning) zooming across the screen, both advertising the Alien force movie, which had CN is been giving top priority to, and likely partly to blame for the constant resceduling of Pokemon.
Ugh, yes that is also very annoying. Pokémon has their air time, they have theirs LEAVE THEM OUT OF EACH OTHERS
(see first 15 seconds)

And speaking of Kevin's car, did anyone else find it completely weird that they are having a contest to give away said car, despite the fact that at least 90% of the viewers on the channel are to young to drive?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 30, 2009 at 09:45:13 AM.
Old November 21, 2009, 10:12:46 AM
Shaymin

That is the stupidest thing EVER.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:46:26 AM
Rayquaza

It was pretty annoying haw the called pokemon, magical creatures or magitures for short.
Old November 21, 2009, 01:14:10 PM
Administrator

I find them completely pointless. Isn't the network logo enough annoying stuff on the screen, let alone "NEXT: Something you're not going to watch"?
Old November 21, 2009, 01:16:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12
It was pretty annoying haw the called pokemon, magical creatures or magitures for short.
As I said on the Announcement post about the new slogan, Poké Balls hadn't been invented yet, so they couldn't be called Pocket Monsters.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:18:25 PM
Administrator

For those of you who want to see the credits, the Australian version got to see MOST of it. The credits start at 6:05 and they show the same stupidity we had, but at 7:42 it shows the rest as it was supposed to be.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 30, 2009 at 09:45:45 AM.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:35:10 PM
Administrator

(FYI: The only reason I'm not editing the post above, while it is a violation of the forum rules, is because Americans did not receive that part of the movie.)
Old November 21, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
Shaymin

I noticed that 1min and 30seconds into the video you posted on the bridge you can see the 2GEN starters.
AND at 8:10 into the movie on the left side is meeee (Luxray)
Old November 21, 2009, 06:04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxray13579
I noticed that 1min and 30seconds into the video you posted on the bridge you can see the 2GEN starters.
I noticed that too. Probably a little bonus they through in there.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:37:42 PM
Regigigas

Personally, I differ from the consensus offered here in that I didn't really care for the movie. On the whole, the quality of animations and CGI was spectacular (especially the combination of 3D and 2D elements), but the vocal work and story of the movie left me disappointed. Time travel is a very difficult subject to 'get right' in a work, and the movie's use of it left me scratching my head a number of times. It was never explained why the effects of the time travel didn't register until Arceus saw the cast, although I do have a theory that, if correct, shows some sophistication on the part of the writers. It also didn't make sense that Arceus should still be around after the timeline was altered, since if the jewel had been returned earlier, he would never have needed to return. And of course, since the group's correction of history suspended their need to ever correct it to begin with, an obvious classic paradox came into play that was never resolved.

My main beef was the presentation of the legends, which was kind of lackluster. When Dialga and Giratina got into it early on, they fought by basically ramming into each other. Then Arceus, who is supposed to be god, gets brought down by a few attacks and a chandelier to the head. I was hoping the show would take a more majestic approach in dealing with the creator of the pokéverse. That, and Arceus' voice actor was terrible. It was impossible to take him seriously with his extremely nasally voice. And someone on the localization team needs to get fired for calling Judgment 'justice.' Blasphemy!

However, they did a really clever thing with introducing the Johto starters as armored servants in the past. I think the show is preparing to return to Johto to do a season in honor of HG/SS. The way that was worked in was clever and subtle, unlike some of the movie's elements which stood out too much as plot devices. But compared to the most recent movie I saw (the Lucario one), number twelve was in my opinion more effective at maintaining a central plot and introducing conflict. They are certainly improving, at any rate.

And yes, Cartoon Network did a terrible job presenting the movie. The points chosen for commercial cuts seemed arbitrary and generally interrupted scenes. They were definitely milking the premiere to drum up hype for their Ben Ten movie.
Old November 21, 2009, 09:50:55 PM
Administrator

Well, you certainly made some good points. I did notice the same major flaw where Arceus was still angry when they returned. It would've made more sense for them to return to the world that was presented about five minutes later. I thought the voice actor did a great job for the parts where he was angry, but the calm and natural parts did have a "strange" voice (for lack of a better word).

As for the presentation, The Pokémon Company International should try to get a contract to run the premier on another network in the US (definitely not Fox, though; they'd try to advertise all their own original shows like Family Guy and The Simpsons) and try to get them to air the full movie, including the entire credits, with only the network logo and nothing else. If commercial breaks still have to exist, they should get them inserted only at the 15-minute points and not the 10-minute points. Movie-dedicated channels might work best and may even help increase attention in lesser-watched stations that still air on regular cable and satellite. Or, even better, they should try to get it on local stations, like when they used to air Pokémon on WB. It's only one movie and only a two-hour timeslot, not a whole season of a television show!
Old November 22, 2009, 02:38:58 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
used to air Pokémon on WB. It's only one movie and only a two-hour timeslot, not a whole season of a television show!
Actually when Destiny Deoxys aired on Kids WB they cut out some parts the same would go if it aired on any other network also.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:41:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
used to air Pokémon on WB. It's only one movie and only a two-hour timeslot, not a whole season of a television show!
Actually when Destiny Deoxys aired on Kids WB they cut out some parts the same would go if it aired on any other network also.
I'm just saying they need to find a network that won't ruin the movie.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:40:08 PM

Or better yet, that! *points at the bottom part of Cat's signature*
I just saw it tonight. I do agree that this movie was pretty good. It really could have been worse. I'm really glad that the movies are getting better, as I think the quality had been dropping. The next one with Ho-oh and Lugia ought to be epic!
Old November 22, 2009, 03:45:01 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616
The next one with Ho-oh and Lugia ought to be epic!
Remember the trailer just confirmed there in the movie it could just be a cameo like Regigigas' appearance in the last movie.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:52:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616
The next one with Ho-oh and Lugia ought to be epic!
Remember the trailer just confirmed there in the movie it could just be a cameo like Regigigas' appearance in the last movie.
And we all know how late in Giratina that was. I remember looking over at the clock towards the end of the movie, seeing that it had been an hour and a half since it started, meaning that the movie was almost over. Then I remembered that Regigigas was supposed to be in it and wondered where the heck he was.
Old November 22, 2009, 04:20:01 PM
Administrator

At least they were smart enough to air it in widescreen today.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:39:03 PM
Charizard

I thought is was pretty decent but like said earlier, the way they presented the time travel was hard to understand.
Old November 24, 2009, 07:24:50 AM
Charizard

Quote:
At least they were smart enough to air it in widescreen today.

I guess this was only a one-time thing...I recorded the movie (temporary copy til the official DVD release!) on Friday when it frist aired, and figured that was that, but then when I saw it in widescreen on Sunday, I figured CN realized their mistake and would continue to show it in widescreen, but when I tried to record it again (on a seperate tape) on Tuesday morning, it was back to standard (not widescreen) - this is getting ridiculous as these idiots at CN just can't seem to make up their minds what they are doing with Pokemon these days (not to mention how the new episodes have been boucing back and forth from widescreen to standard) - at this point, I am giving up on this movie, just hoping that the DVD is in widescreen! Of course, CN hasn't missed one chance to get in as many Ben 10 pop-ups/promos and other ads throughout each and every showing of the Arceus movie! After all these years, Pokemon deserves better.
Old November 24, 2009, 01:03:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
After all these years, Pokemon deserves better.
I believe most of us can agree with that statement.
Old November 27, 2009, 06:10:16 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
After all these years, Pokemon deserves better.
So true...
Old December 1, 2009, 07:11:45 PM
Volcarona

For Pokemon to still be going after so long, I must say that I am impressed. The movie was better than I had expected considering the DP series isn't really that good. Everything got bad after the first season in Kanto and second in Johto in my opinion. Hoenn wasn't much to talk about either.

Anyway, Arceus and the Jewel of Life happened to be a great movie. The plot was well thought out however they could have chosen better voice actors for this. Arceus' voice was just outrageously annoying. It sounded nothing like I had hoped it would if it were to be telepathic. Mewtwo's voice sounded much better.

I still think that no matter how many more movies they make, none of them will be better than the First Pokemon movie. In my own personal opinion, Pokemon The First Movie was the best.