Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Role-Playing > Animé-Style Battling > Battles
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 14, 2012, 02:38:49 PM
Regigigas

Default Rules Thread

Due to a flurry of questions on the handling of battles recently, I have created this thread to house various miscellaneous rules. This thread is open for ASB members to request the additions of rules or clarification of existing ones.

All rules are effective for all battles that begin after each rule is implemented, but not necessarily for battles that are already in progress. Rules 1 and 2, for example, do not apply to any battle that started before Jan 14, 2012.

Rules so far:
1. For every repeated use of a single move by a certain pokemon, the accuracy of that move is decrease by 10%. The logic is that the repetition of the move makes the move predictable, and it would make sense that it would be easier for the opponent to dodge it.
2. Attempting to shake a status condition of any kind off can only be done a certain number of times, and all attempts have a 50% chance of success. When issuing a challenge, you must set how many Shake Offs each side can attempt. The maximum for Single battles is 3. The maximum for Double battles is 4.
3. The moves Perish Song and Destiny Bond are unallowed due to a recent battle in which Perish Song was used, and the battle quickly ended in a tie, and Destiny Bond has the potential to have similar results.
4. The ability Wonder Guard is a banned ability and therefore Shedinja cannot be used.

Last edited by SyracuvatTenlii; January 19, 2012 at 09:00:18 PM. Reason: Rules 3 and 4
Old January 14, 2012, 03:14:34 PM
Volcarona

I do believe we worked out overused moves and Shaking Off in VRIM over the last couple days.

You said -10% accuracy for every time a move is used, as the other side will be expecting it.
As for the Shaking Off, you said 3 per battle, but you weren't clear on chances of success or what status conditions can be Shaken Off. I would also like to suggest a heirarchy system for that, with a max of 3 Shake Offs in a Single Battle, and 4 in a Double Battle (with people putting challenges deciding a number between 1-max, of course).
Old January 19, 2012, 04:58:54 PM
Volcarona

I think anyone reffing a Triple Battle should get $10 per round, as it contains 6 moves, and you have to keep in mind every Pokémon's location, making it much tougher to keep track of than a Double Battle (which nets $8 per round).
Old January 19, 2012, 05:50:37 PM
Giratina

You should probably add the rule about Wonder Guard. I remember you going into a small rant about how it's broken in ASB. Which just brings up the question of what to do with Shedinja.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:23:01 PM
Kyurem

If Perish Song is banned, then that sort of raises the question about Destiny Bond...
Old January 19, 2012, 08:58:16 PM
Regigigas

All posts have been read and considered. Modifying Rule 3 and adding Rule 4. Also modifying Triple Battle Payroll in the Ref thread.

Last edited by SyracuvatTenlii; January 19, 2012 at 09:00:53 PM.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:26:26 PM
Volcarona

I also remember us settling what Pressure does (1.5x Energy output).
Old January 22, 2012, 02:23:17 PM
Giratina

Just to let people know, do NOT post questions regarding moves and ask what they do in ASB because I am currently working on a list of the moves and it will have the description of what each move does in ASB. Just give me some time.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:15:33 PM
Kyurem

My only problem here is the banning of Shedinja. I understand your reasoning, but Shedinja could still use some love.
Sure, it'd sound understandable in the actual Pokemon games, but his is ASB, which has distinct differences.
First off, it's not entirely impossible to defeat a Shedinja. You have to take into account that you can use any move possible here. You're not just limited to four moves.
Plus the fact that Shedinja doesn't necessarily have such a "devastating" movepool that would make it that broken.

So in reality, it is possible to defeat a Shedinja if you have the right strategy. For some it may be difficult, some it may be easy, either way, it's possible.

Also, if you want to go by the logic of Shedinja being "broken", add some more Pokemon to that list, 'cause there's some Pokemon that can prove to be quite difficult to defeat.

Aaaand, I also discourage banning No Guard. It's pretty much neutral and does not necessarily favor any side. You've gotta remember that No Guard gives both the user and the opponent's moves perfect accuracy. So, in theory, the opponent and/or the user can use an OHKO move that will instantly end the battle, but that's what clauses are for.
(Yes, I do know that No Guard probably hasn't been discussed, but it's an ability that can be considered "broken".)

Last edited by Shiny; January 24, 2012 at 02:21:01 PM.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:49:51 PM
Shaymin

I don't remember the No Guard thing. Gastro Acid prevents things like that. So I think it isn't right to ban an ability. I have a pokemon with No Guard, so what am i supposed to do about it. Do i buy a new one?!? Why should I have to pay for something you took away. It is unlawful, and I am kinda ticked.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:57:41 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
I don't remember the No Guard thing. Gastro Acid prevents things like that. So I think it isn't right to ban an ability. I have a pokemon with No Guard, so what am i supposed to do about it. Do i buy a new one?!? Why should I have to pay for something you took away. It is unlawful, and I am kinda ticked.
I never said it was banned.
I said I discouraged the possibility of it ever being banned.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:00:10 PM
Shaymin

Thanks for the clarification :3

So now you know what my vote is.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:20:05 PM
Giratina

Shiny, the reason why Shedinja was banned was due to its ability. One day in the chat, Syra was asked how Shedinja would work in ASB. After about 30 minutes, we concluded that Shedinja would have the same damage cap as the other Pokemon, but then that brought up the question on Wonder Guard. After about 15-20 minutes of looking for the answer, Syra discovered that Wonder Guard actually lowers all moves' accuracies by 50%, making Shedinja very unfair in battle. Plus, Shedinja can learn Flash which isn't banned by most rules I've seen, making Shedinja that much harder to hit.

In conclusion, I support the banning of Shedinja... no matter how much I love Shedinja. It's just too overpowered in ASB due to it being very hard to hit.
Old January 24, 2012, 05:18:10 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Shiny, the reason why Shedinja was banned was due to its ability. One day in the chat, Syra was asked how Shedinja would work in ASB. After about 30 minutes, we concluded that Shedinja would have the same damage cap as the other Pokemon, but then that brought up the question on Wonder Guard. After about 15-20 minutes of looking for the answer, Syra discovered that Wonder Guard actually lowers all moves' accuracies by 50%, making Shedinja very unfair in battle. Plus, Shedinja can learn Flash which isn't banned by most rules I've seen, making Shedinja that much harder to hit.

In conclusion, I support the banning of Shedinja... no matter how much I love Shedinja. It's just too overpowered in ASB due to it being very hard to hit.
You beat me to the punch on that one, Quad. I remember that we were trying to work out the effects of Pressure in the chat, so Reun went to look for the solution. After about 10 minutes, Reun came back explaining that Wonder Guard lowered accuracy by 50%, and then Syra popped in and said that Wonder Guard was now banned. That's how it happened.
Old January 25, 2012, 04:01:59 PM
Kyurem

Once again, strategy comes into play.

Quote:
It does not prevent stat-altering moves, such as Tail Whip, from hitting or from lowering the Pokémon's stats. Also, it does not prevent damage from weather conditions or entry hazards. Moves which cause status ailments, such as PoisonPowder, can still be used. In addition, the Pokémon can still be afflicted with status ailments and receive damage from those status ailments. Wonder Guard does not block Struggle from hitting, nor does it block moves whose types do not come into play for damage calculation, such as Beat Up
As Bulbapedia's Wonder Guard page says, Shedinja can still be affected by status ailments and weather effects. So it is possible to still deal damage to a Shedinja if youve got a good enough strategy.
I should also mention Super Effective moves such as Aerial Ace that always hit- no matter what- can be used against one.

I would also like to know where you both got this information that Wonder Guard reduces the move's accuracy. Both Bulbapedia and Serebii say nothing about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebii
The Pokémon is only harmed by Super Effective damage, weather effects and condition effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
Wonder Guard only allows super effective moves to hit.
It does not prevent stat-altering moves, such as Tail Whip, from hitting or from lowering the Pokémon's stats. Also, it does not prevent damage from weather conditions or entry hazards. Moves which cause status ailments, such as PoisonPowder, can still be used. In addition, the Pokémon can still be afflicted with status ailments and receive damage from those status ailments. Wonder Guard does not block Struggle from hitting, nor does it block moves whose types do not come into play for damage calculation, such as Beat Up
Once again, it may seem difficult, but it's certainly not impossible.

Last edited by Shiny; January 25, 2012 at 04:02:56 PM.
Old January 25, 2012, 06:09:39 PM
Giratina

You'll have to ask Syra where he got the info regarding the accuracy drop in ASB. I believe he was reading a guide to ASB when he found the description for Wonder Guard.
Old January 26, 2012, 01:21:34 PM
Giratina

Sorry for the double post, but I need to post this and make it so it's read.

I think if a non-official starts a battle, that person should be fined some money for doing so. If a ref starts a battle, then that judge should not only be fined, but receive a warning for doing so. If that ref starts another battle, they should have their ref title revoked and be unable to become a ref again for a month.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 26, 2012 at 01:37:17 PM.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:02:14 PM
Kyurem

...And why?

I made it so that both Refs and Officials could both make threads awhile ago.
The only thing it does is speed up the battle process, which is a plus in my book.

If Syra removed that, it's utterly stupid.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:31:59 PM
Volcarona

Syra removed the ability for Refs to make battles, "to help define the line of the promotion from Ref to Official, as an Official has few more privileges."
Old January 26, 2012, 06:32:58 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
...And why?

I made it so that both Refs and Officials could both make threads awhile ago.
The only thing it does is speed up the battle process, which is a plus in my book.

If Syra removed that, it's utterly stupid.
Syra did remove the refs' ability to start battles (and approve transactions) because he wanted a difference between Official status and Referee status to be more apparent, he just didn't have a punishment setup for violators.
Old January 26, 2012, 06:36:53 PM
Kyurem

Well... that is ridiculous and makes no sense at all. ._.