Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 15, 2009, 08:32:47 PM
Volcarona

Default My Memories; Then & Now

I remember being in elementary school when Pokemon first hit the states by storm. Everybody had the games. The cards were banned for a time when there was an incident involving them. That's all I can remember from the early days.

Now, at age 17, I'm into it more than ever. There's a Pokemon club at my school. I'm the assistant of my TCG League Leader. I go ga-ga over big reveals, the most recent of which was the American release dates for HG/SS. I'm also a member of the Pokemon Trainer's Association.

I don't know for how long I'll be a fan, but I do not show signs of slowing down anytime soon.
Old August 17, 2009, 04:30:27 PM
Joltik

Default Re: My Memories; Then & Now

I'll admit it's sort of reverse for me. I was obsessed with it back when it came out. XD It was pretty much all I did back then. Play the pokemon games, collect cards and other things, watch the anime, talk about it with friends, try to encorporate it into as many school projects as possible. Me and a few friends actually started this thing at lunch back in 3rd or 2nd grade where we'd pretend we were actual pokemon trainers, and sort of go about it like an RP.

After the Gold and Silver series, like most, my interest then took a drop. I still really enjoy the games though, because they're entertaining, fun, and at least for me, have great replay value. They're always a 'go-to' game for me when I'm bored.
Old August 17, 2009, 04:40:25 PM
Pikachu

I remember I always loved the anime and was obsessed with cards...and now I hate the anime and dont care about cards.
I remember though my brother would get extremely angry at me because I always played his blue and I used to start new games and think ._. woah, viridian forest! I am really far!

Of course I was not far and my brother had beaten the Elite four and was trying to catch mewtwo
Old August 17, 2009, 05:27:16 PM

I was pretty in to it when it first came out. I think my high point was when Gold and Silver came up. I didn't care for third gen, even the remakes, but I still played them. I just think they could have been better. When Diamond and Pearl came out, I seemed to like those a lot better than third gen. And with the remakes of Gold and Silver looming, I'm at even more of a high point than ever... I have even recently thought about getting cards, something I haven't done since the start of third gen. I've just been that into it lately...
Old August 17, 2009, 05:36:44 PM
Administrator

I can stil remember hearing about "blast toys" (Blastoise) and "peek-a-chew" (Pikachu) and having no idea what anyone was talking about. I have an "essay" that I worked on a bit towards the end of May. As soon as I get around to finishing it, I'll publish it online. It details lots of my Pokémon memories.

I do have a fond memory from April 2007. A few friends of mine, as well as a few dozen people I didn't know were fans, had bought Diamond or Pearl. For a few weeks after its release, I traded, battled, and had lots of fun with fellow gamers. (Again, more of this will be in that "essay".)
Old August 17, 2009, 05:43:47 PM
Volcarona

Oh, yes...Elementary School. Those days when I had just heard about pokemon.
It was all the rage then. All of us kids had tons of cards and played each other during recess. We didn't need no Slide, swingset, or any of that other stuff...it was all about the pokemon cards.
Didn't understand much about it then...I even remember Thinking Butterfree was some sort of Cheerleader.
I even remember playing Pokemon red...first pokemon I ever caught not including the starter? Paras.
Those were the days...

I currently still prefer the classics over any other pokemon. <censored> 8)
Old October 14, 2009, 01:28:34 PM
Giratina

Is posting a month late classed as spamming?
Oh well, there are only 3 post on this whole board.

I remember:
My first trade was a Sandshrew that knew cut from my friend, to try out the 'Mew under the truck!' rumour. Man I was gullible back then.
I was trying out the Missingno. glitch, and the first time I got it to work it's cry scared the life out of me and a threw my GBC at the floor. Not just a drop, I actually threw it straight down, cracking the plastic just above the infra-red.
I traded my rare Dragonite trading card for around 10 Diglett. My Dragonite was then lost, but I still have a lot of Diglett.
I tried a trade between Red/Crystal using a GBA link cable, and ended up resetting my red. I even remember which Pokémon Center I was at on Red (The one just before rock tunnel), don't ask why I remember, I have no idea.
Also, anyone remember the Pokémon TCG Game? Such a good game, but Imanuki always freaked me out...
And I gave up on TCG cards when they brought out R/S cards, 'cause the old ones couldn't be used anymore. And R/S/E were the worst main games.
And for some reason, I remember thinking that Viridian Forest was south of Pallet Town.

That's enough thinking for one post...
Old October 14, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer
Is posting a month late classed as spamming?
No, you're fine.

Quote:
Also, anyone remember the Pokémon TCG Game? Such a good game, but Imanuki always freaked me out...
Yeah, I liked that game. After the battery in it died (after which I had many good cards), I decided not to play it anymore. There was no reason to waste my time if it would get erased again. That's also the reason I don't play the old games much anymore. Although I did back up my Silver save and put most of my good stuff in Stadium 2, I don't want to deal with batteries dying. The only reason I play any of them is just for nostalgia and the main adventure. (I completed both the Kanto and Johto 'dexes, so that's no reason to play again.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 25, 2013 at 11:48:30 AM.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:04:29 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Although I did backup my Silver save
How? Most of my GB/C games could run out any day now!
Old November 1, 2009, 08:08:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
You need a GameBoy Color GameShark.
Old November 1, 2009, 08:51:27 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648
Quote:
Quote:
You need a GameBoy Color GameShark.
Oh. They're probably quite hard to find now, but I'll have a hunt around (My Pokémon Red's battery died yesterday!)
Old November 28, 2009, 03:47:14 PM
Zoroark

My first Pokemon memories were fond and well remembered.

When I was in 2nd grade, people in my neighborhood were talking about Pokemon and I didn't know what to think of it. I heard about the Pokemon games through my copies of Nintendo Power but never asked for a Pokemon game before.

I really wanted Pokemon cards and would beg my parents to get me some. It took a long time before they actually bought me any.

Then I got my first Pokemon card one year later. A special promo Pikachu from Nintendo Power. I WORSHIPPED that card and bragged about it to everyone (don't know where it is anymore lol).

Then my 4th grade b-day was coming up. I was going to get Pokemon Stadium and was really excited (the first movie was to come with it ). The night before my b-day, my mom and dad surprised me with it and let us play the game for the first time. My first Pokemon game!

I actually just watched my friends, Paul and Danny, play at first, but with time I started to play and was HOOKED...only without a GBC game to play it on.

So then I wanted to get either Red or Blue to play on Pokemon Stadium, but it was after my birthday so I didn't know if I'd ever get one from my parents that year.

Then, Easter came.

My dad enjoyed giving me an Easter Egg Hunt for candy and toys when he could. The final clue in the house was always the best.

For this year, he hid under the couch cushion Pokemon Yellow.

I was so excited and went straight on and obtained my first Pokemon (just like my first card), Pikachu.

Yep, great memories from then on. My whole neighborhood freaked out when I caught Mewtwo at my friend Paul's house late one night (and with ultraballs; damn Steven used my masterball on Articuno). For a few weeks, I was the most popular kid on the block.

So yeah, those are my most fond memories.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:01:49 PM
Servine

I may only be a few years older then pokemon, but believe me, i was there from the start. I was a freak! So much so that for my birthday i got the special edition version of a large plastic box of the gym leaders pokemon cards. Did anyone else get that? I had the entire first season of pokemon cards in a binder, covered with stickers. I was so obsessed. My first pokemon game was yellow, and i played that game until i burned up my special pokemon edition Game boy color. It was my only game boy color game (aside from red version, which i still have.). . (Ill post a picture soon.) My dads friend would constantly visit japan and hook me up with the coolest pokemon knick-nacks. It was awosme. I can't even express how much pokemon meant to me, and still does. I go flipsy-do if any news on pokemon becomes released. I have a very special connection with pokemon, and i can't ever imagine it not in my life.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:20:39 AM
Giratina

I still clearly remember my early obsession over Pokémon. I used to watch the animé continuously, and get excited whenever something interesting happens. I almost never missed an episode of the first season. I also used to have a large collection of cards which I prized a lot. My cousins and I would create our own games with them and enjoy our time. I don't know how and I can't remember why, I lost my interest in the whole Pokémon franchise. However, after about 3 years, my friends gave me account of the Pokémon games they had, and attracted me to them. I was greatly interested in them, and from then onwards, I started purchasing the games and learning about their complex world and mechanics.
Now I am 14 years old, and I'm still quite the fan who's attached to Pokémon. I don't think my interest will fade anytime soon, though, and I hope it never will.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:10:54 PM
Shaymin

Then: Pokemon Yellow. Pikachu was the coolest thing ever. I considered myself a Pokemon Master. When Gold and Silver came out, I was immediately cut down to size. I never made it past Kanto in that game.

Now: I'm going to be the first (if not one of the first) people to do an English Let's Play of HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Old January 23, 2010, 08:21:25 AM
Charizard

In elementary school everybody knows me (even teachers) because i am huge fan of Pokemon

Now in high school i try to defend it (a lot of haters in school) and i the only who don't use Action replay