Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Minecraft

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 30, 2013, 06:40:27 PM

Default Pixelmon

So, I recently began a new world in Minecraft with the Pixelmon mod. I've been playing it for about 2-3 days and I really enjoy it so far. For those who have never heard what this mod is; it basically adds Pokémon aspects into Minecraft.

From what I can tell, all of the first 151 Pokémon are available as well as some Pokémon from the later generations.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-29_01.51.12.png
Views:	1358
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	4900 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-29_02.02.24.png
Views:	1100
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	4901 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-30_22.09.55.png
Views:	1017
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	4902

Besides Pokémon being available, you can also find items such as Apricorns, which appear naturally in forests. These are used to make different kinds of Poké Balls. Apricorns can also be replanted into individual trees, making farming easier. From what I can tell, other items are available such as a Pokédex, Potions, and TMs. (TMs are rare to find)

Name:	2013-05-30_22.16.43.png
Views:	1514
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	4903 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-30_22.17.35.png
Views:	785
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	4905

Lastly, and probably most importantly, you can battle and catch Pokémon. The battle style is identical to any Pokémon game. Some specific materials are also only obtainable by defeating Pokémon, such as Raw Beef from Miltank or Ender Pearls from Abra. Leveling up Pokémon is also easier, just be careful about which Pokémon to battle! Some Pokémon are naturally hostile and they are capable of forcing you into a battle. Besides wild Pokémon, there are also trainers (not pictured). Trainers don't serve an immediate purpose as of yet besides battling, but they will likely give you money (money will be added in a later version).

Name:	2013-05-30_22.18.13.png
Views:	783
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	4906

If you guys are interested to try this mod out or if you're already using it and have questions/remarks, feel free to comment!
Old May 30, 2013, 06:49:43 PM
Administrator

I saw this mod a long, long time ago (at least I think it was this one and not the other really similar one) when there were only about 30 or so Pokémon and they were seeking folks to create models for the rest of Generation 1, which was their original goal.

I was rather interested in trying it out but never bothered to, as that was around the time I lost interest in modding it (see below). Regardless, I think they did a pretty nice job with it, particularly with how much work went into making the Pokémon themselves actually function like they do. I may try it out someday if it's still supported and functional.

(Of course, like all Minecraft mods--and this applies to Minecraft itself--my problem is that updates tend to kill them. You have to know the exact version of Minecraft and exact version of the mod to use your old worlds again without breaking the worlds, often irreversibly. Sadly, this problem will likely not be fixed until Minecraft itself either adopts a standard unchanging format, which is not bloody likely, or is no longer being updated. Updates have ruined two worlds of mine because the mods never were updated.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 30, 2013 at 06:50:10 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:44:48 PM
Volcarona

Ahh yes, I have been playing this a bit too recently. Well... as much as I can because my computer cannot run it very well, sadly. *Sighs* But I've not seen to many pokemon but I've been pretty darn amazed by what I have seen! I am still trying to learn the controls, however. But that's probably just from me being a Mod-Noob. >w<;;; But I REALLY hope they continue to work on this mod and make it include more Pokemon and fix the bugs that are or may currently be there. It'd be neat if they could turn it into a server mod as well, thouuugh that'd be pretty intense. But hey, who knows!
Old May 30, 2013, 09:06:31 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
From what I can tell, all of the first 151 Pokémon are available as well as some Pokémon from the later generations.
There are only 172 pokémon currently available [luckily for me one of those is umbreon ]. Not all of the first generation is available yet, but most are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I saw this mod a long, long time ago (at least I think it was this one and not the other really similar one) when there were only about 30 or so Pokémon and they were seeking folks to create models for the rest of Generation 1, which was their original goal.
No, it's not the same mod. The one you're thinking about was called PokémonCraft, and in my opinion the models used in that one were horrible. Well, horrible compared to the models used in Pixelmon anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
(Of course, like all Minecraft mods--and this applies to Minecraft itself--my problem is that updates tend to kill them. You have to know the exact version of Minecraft and exact version of the mod to use your old worlds again without breaking the worlds, often irreversibly. Sadly, this problem will likely not be fixed until Minecraft itself either adopts a standard unchanging format, which is not bloody likely, or is no longer being updated. Updates have ruined two worlds of mine because the mods never were updated.)
At least some of the modding aspects of Minecraft are heading in the right direction, mainly Bukkit/CraftBukkit. Plugins are required to use the Bukkit API and not the Minecraft API, which helps plugins work out of the box whenever Minecraft updates...and of course when Bukkit/CraftBukkit updates. Besides, there's always MultiMC to keep the old Minecraft versions and mods to play older worlds. I do that quite often myself.

As for my take on it, the models for the pokémon look amazing, and I plan on trying it later myself.

EDIT: After playing it for a bit, I'm finding a few flaws. Most of the areas have mid-leveled pokémon, levels that your starter can't really handle. One battle from a Lv.35 Dotrio insta-KO'd my Lv.5 Eevee, and with no way of healing until you at least get iron, the poor guy will most likely stay KO'd for awhile. Farming apricorns seems a bit odd as well. Punching a berry bush yields only one apricorn [at least it does for me], making this more of a way to move the apricorns to homebase. Beds seem to heal any pokémon you have, and right-clicking an apricorn bush yields an apricorn, just the hit box is a bit odd.

Last edited by Shade; May 31, 2013 at 11:06:18 AM. Reason: Two mons were added as I was posting this
Old June 2, 2013, 10:41:35 PM
Kyurem

can u play this mod on the pocket edition? or on the ipod at all?
Old June 2, 2013, 11:00:54 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
can u play this mod on the pocket edition? or on the ipod at all?
I don't think pocket edition has any kind of mod support. Pocket Edition and the PC/Mac edition are essentially two separate games, and therefore a mod built for the PC/Mac edition would not work at all on PE, even if it did have mod support.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:05:47 AM
Giratina

I saw Youtube videos of this before, but since I don't play MC on the computer, I've never tried it.. If it was possible for Xbox 360 I'd play it for sure.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:22:53 AM
Regigigas

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, as that would require being able to reverse engineer an XBLA game, which is something Microsoft doesn't want. Maybe if they eventually get to adding the modding API like they were supposed to almost a year ago.