Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 28, 2012, 06:08:33 AM
Kyurem

Default Nismo Made a Blog Because He Can

YESH. I HAS A BLOG NOW.

So yeah, blogging really opens up another side of me that you haven't seen before. It's that crazed internet lunacy that you only really see on blogs; maybe a bit dampened though.

Anyway, yeah. Talking about my life and such. Yesterday, the roleplaying group that I go to met (it's really the most interesting thing that ever happens in my life). Some... interesting things happened. Currently we're trying out a new system called "Mouse Guard," in which your characters are all mice and it's actually pretty interesting. This week, we were sent to go deal with a snapping turtle that was pretty much destroying one of the towns. So eventually we managed to deal with that (with only some collateral damage, our group is pretty much useless at doing things safely). However, somehow, one of our characters accidentally got engaged to an NPC. Needless to say we were all laughing our asses off as that was going on. So yeah, next week we'll be going to his character's wedding~

Other than that, I was walking back to town with a few of the other guys, and there were some interesting things happening there as well. One of them had brought an iPod and a portable speaker and was playing music the whole way there. One of which was Gangnam Style.

Yep, I was Gangnam'd.

I have to say, though, as a song it's not all that bad. Although, as a meme, yeah, I absolutely hate it.

So I guess that's it for today. I'll be updating it... sometimes. I'm not very reliable when it comes to this kind of stuff.

edit: I have an update but it's only really been a couple hours since I posted this, so yeah, the same post.

Smartglass in Forza Horizon!

This actually looks pretty cool. I was looking forward to Smartglass since E3, and it's already coming to a game that I'm addicted to. It'll make playing it a lot more streamlined, since you can track where you are on the map and set a route, while you're driving; or at least I can, seeing as I have a racing wheel. Controller players might have some difficulty. And on top of that, it's just a really cool gimmick.

Last edited by NismoZ; October 28, 2012 at 08:14:38 AM.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:26:37 PM

Gangnam style...I know it's this huge meme now, but I can't even stand to appreciate the song itself, not one bit. It's just a very obnoxious song and I don't even know how it has exploded into the phenomenon that it is. With that said, I was also "gangnam'd" a week ago while job hunting at my local mall, though it was playing over the speaks of a Spencer's store and not from someone else's iPod. Still, a saw a few people doing the dance associated with the song, and I was like...creeped out a little.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:19:49 AM
Kyurem

10/29/2012

So, those of you who hang around VRIM should be aware of just how nervous I was about Hurricane Sandy. Today, I think I was being just a little too paranoid there. Sure, it's gonna be bad, but the worst of it comes tonight, and between then and now it can't become something terrible, right? It's only lightly raining and the wind is only just starting to pick up.

Now I just wonder how long it's gonna take until I have to eat my words there. :I

Update 3:50 PM: Wind's really picking up now. Weather.com tells me the wind is 20 mph. It should pick up to 35 (I'll assume it'll be closer to 40) at night with some heavy rain. Honestly, I'm quite relieved. I thought it'd be some kind of disaster or something where I live, but I've been through storms somewhat similar. Only thing I'm worried about now is the fact that my backyard is very flat and has a stream running through it, and thus is very flood-prone.

Update 7:40 PM: Not sure about how the backyard looks right now considering that it's pitch-black outside, but otherwise my thoughts have completely turned around. Where I am, this is nothing more than a bad storm... a bad storm that'll keep going until about Thursday, seeing as it's pretty much coming straight towards me.

Update 9:50 PM: Yeah, this is getting pretty bad. =w=

Update 11:05 PM: I'm going out of my ****ing mind now. Gonna head to bed.

Last edited by NismoZ; October 29, 2012 at 07:05:58 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:41:08 PM
Kyurem

10/30/2012

Nothing interesting on today's update, move along.

No, really. All that's really noteworthy is that I'm still mentally recovering from the hurricane. Oh, also, my mom found this awesome TV show called "Whose Line Is It Anyway" so we spent some of the afternoon watching that. And yeah, nothing much beyond that. I feel kinda guilty just posting this with so little content. :/
Old October 30, 2012, 03:56:16 PM

Dude, "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" is the funniest show I've ever seen. Those guys are just flat out hilarious, especially Colin & Ryan. I'm glad that you and your family has discovered such an awesome comedy show.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:01:33 PM
Shaymin

Hahaha, I love that show! I used to think badly about it because it looked childish, but as soon as I gave it a chance I couldn't give it up! If you like funny TV, you might want to watch The Office. ;]
Old October 31, 2012, 06:55:10 PM
Kyurem

10/31/12

Since nothing at all happened today, let me talk about something that I found on the internets that you aren't interested in.

Mazda RX-7 Confirmed For 2017 Return

Okay, okay, 2017 is a long way away. I'll be in college by then. But I'm still excited already. And by what the article says, this'll be pretty nice. It'll apparently be about the weight of a Toyota 86 (which for us Americans is a Scion FR-S), with a rotary engine putting out about 295 horsepower (about 50 up from the previous RX-7), and presumably no torque at all; rotaties are notorious for not having much torque, and this is gonna be naturally aspirated.

It looks like the success of the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ caught Mazda's attention, and now they've found an open market slot: a car similar to that, but a little more upmarket. Reviving the RX-7 would fit that position nicely.

I kinda wonder what its design would be like. Will it still have flip-up headlights? I hope so. Flip-up headlights are both really awesome and a thing that you don't find in modern cars. Think about it, all the cars that used to have flip-up headlights - Honda/Acura NSX, Toyota MR2, Toyota Corolla/Sprinter, Nissan 240SX, Lamborghini Diablo - have all switched to fixed units.

As for the idea of reviving old models, I'm confident that the Japanese can do it right. Americans sure can't. The Dodge Dart was ruined by its engine, the Dodge Challenger was just a complete flop, the Chevy Camaro... was actually better than the couple generations that came before it... I dunno, maybe I just don't like American car companies. All I know though is that the Acura NSX concept looks awesome, and that's Japanese.

So yeah. As I said earlier, I know you aren't interested.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:38:45 PM
Kyurem

Notice anything odd about this blog entry? Yes, the colors are different! I figured I may as well have a running thing where the colors are always different.

Anyway, time for my entry.

11/1/12

Uhh... nothing happened today. Absolutely nothing. So let me talk about whatever pops into my head.

What is it with me and girls? I always tend to find something I like about every single one I meet. I was in an Xbox Live party (with no mic ) with some internet acquaintances, and I noticed that the one girl in the lobby had a cute voice. And I pretty much hate every other person, either IRL or on the internet (although a little moreso IRL). This brings me to something else; it's annoying that I'm not very social, because if I was a little more social I'd probably actually find some friends. Of course, my lack of sociability is probably a result of hating everyone I meet. And that's... probably a result of being the bullied kid back in the one year I was in public school, back in, oh, 2005. And yet, at the moment, I only have a few friends, all of which I find to be idiots. :/
Old November 3, 2012, 04:29:04 PM
Kyurem

11/3/12
(no new color scheme today because I really can't be bothered)

It's that day of the week again! The day where I have the weekly roleplaying group meeting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593[1].JPG
Views:	595
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	4071
This was only half the group. It's just that I was already at the back of the room, they didn't know I was taking a picture, and I felt I needed to include the GM in it.

Today in Mouse Guard, we split into two groups. We're a fairly large group now, so it's better to play in two smaller groups. So, one of the players grabbed a GM guide and split off with me and another guy. Nothing particularly noteworthy happened (that one character's wedding will be next week), but we were actually successful considering that our "apprentice GM" didn't beat the crap out of us as much as the normal one. Meanwhile, the other group failed, as usual. x3 I can explain today's game further if you want me to, but I can't be bothered if no one's gonna be interested.

A few of us hit the local coffee shop afterwards as usual, and... nothing particularly noteworthy happened there, except that I just realized that I left my 3DS on from when I was playing it there.

Also, today at home, my sister has a few friends over. They're watching anime right now, and they've basically been annoying all day. Dx

Oh, one more thing before I leave, the sun came out today (actually you can see it in the picture), for a few minutes. After about a week and a half with nothing but clouds. SUN!
Old November 9, 2012, 06:19:41 AM
Kyurem

11/9/12

No blog posts in a while, it seems. I guess I have something to talk about now.
As of lately, I've actually been very stressed, but I don't know why, so I'll skip past that part.
I've restarted my game of PMD Blue Rescue Team though, and... it's harder than I remember, and I remember it being hard. I got Bulbasaur and my partner is Cyndaquil, and I've made some decent progress. I'm currently at the part where it's basically just grinding until I'm powerful enough to take on Mt. Thunder.

Also, remember that Smartglass thing I talked about in my first post? It came out for iOS the other day, aaaand I can't get it to work.

Also, I'm clearly not in the mood to talk about things. Oh well :/
Old November 10, 2012, 05:38:40 PM
Kyurem

11/10/12

It's that day of the week again!

Today in Mouse Guard, though, not a whole lot happened. We're making preparations for the "Autumn Festival."

Aaaand cut to an explanation. In the world of Mouse Guard, there are four different major festivals: Winter Festival, Spring Festival, etc; and they all have different themes. The Autumn Festival is pretty much about art, music, storytelling, drinking, and the like. Basically, the "fun" festival.

So. Preparing for the Autumn Festival. As I said, not much of interest happened. I got my ass handed to me by a raven (which everyone kept calling a crow), and we all almost got eaten by a snake, a fish, and we almost drowned. Yeah, and that's how it is every week. =w=

Next week, we're gonna settle down a bit, get into some roleplaying rather than our obsession with fighting things, that one character is finally gonna get married (probably), and it's likely that at least one of our characters is going to get very drunk.

Fun fun. x3
Old November 17, 2012, 11:24:36 AM
Kyurem

Last night I had a dream where I met Spiky IRL. And we hugged. x//3
She's been on my mind an awful lot in the past couple of weeks, and I swear it's starting to get out of hand. x3

11/17/12
You know what day of the week it is! That's right, Mouse Guard!

Today was awesome. We had the Autumn Festival, and it was loads of fun. There was storytelling, music, art, dancing, drinking, the like! Also, the GM brought his laptop, a rather big tablet, and borrowed a TV from the library, so we could have stuff up on screen for us to see. While it was going on, he drew sketches of some of the NPCs.
First was the feast. Not a whole lot happened, apart from one of the characters getting very drunk. Next was storytelling. That same character mentioned earlier got up on stage and attempted to tell a story. Things didn't go well. However, apart from that, the GM was reading some of the stories that were in the books to us. In the end, the winner of the storytelling competition was decided from an argument conflict (yes, there's a game mechanic for arguing) between the group.
Next, the art competition. Most of the people in the group entered, and I failed epicly while one of the characters made something amazing. Apart from that, nothing much noteworthy there.
After that was the thing that the festival was building up to: the wedding. It had become a pretty well known thing in the guard by this point; a new guy going on his first mission and coming back with a girl without even trying. I'm not gonna go into detail because I suck at explaining things, but it was pretty sweet. After the wedding was the dance. I went with the only girl in the party, whereas the others all found NPCs. The star of the whole thing, though, was the newlywed couple, after a lucky roll. x3

And then... yeah, nothing much happened after that. We ended our play session, and then broke off to go wherever. Nothing noteworthy happened.

Last edited by NismoZ; November 17, 2012 at 11:25:33 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:33:17 PM
Kyurem

11/18/12
Not a lot happened today, as usual. In fact, there's only really one thing worth talking about.

Today was race day for the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix, the inaugural race for the new Circuit of the Amreicas, somewhere near Austin, Texas. Now, I've never been interested in motorsport, particularly not F1. But I found it interesting. I "borrowed" my mom's laptop and hooked it up to the TV to get a stream up, as we don't have the one station that plays F1 in America.
The only stream that we could find, though, was on the SPEEDTV website and had a few cycling onboard cameras rather than the normal TV coverage. Oh well. Actually, if anything, that was more interesting. It was certainly more exciting than the last motorsport event I watched, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

So yeah, that went on for about two hours and my dad and I watched the whole thing. Nothing interesting happened for the rest of the day. x3
Old November 21, 2012, 03:22:41 PM
Kyurem

11/21/12
Washington D.C., Day 1

No layout today, can't be bothered however simple it may be.
Anyway, today I'm in Washington D.C., after what felt like all day in the car. Probably because it was a 9-and-a-half-hour car ride. We set off at 8:00, and kept going until lunch, where we ate at a Wegmans somewhere in Pennsylvania. Then we kept going all the way through to D.C., save for a fuel stop somewhere along the way.

The road system around D.C. is absolutely terrible. Our first obstacle was a closed road, so it wasn't long before we were completely lost. Now, on the outskirts, there's what's called contraflow - basically, parts of roads changing the direction of traffic at different times of day to ease congestion during rush hour. It works on paper, but is horrendous in practice. The moment we get back enroute, we get to a no left turn sign... where the directions say to turn left. Right, that's the contraflow. So we end up getting lost again, which leads us to a point where we've gotten to a do not enter sign at our side of an intersection. We ended up having to make a 7-point-turn in a two-lane road, in traffic. Eventually we managed to make it downtown. Downtown was even worse. We hit it at quarter past 5; peak rush hour. We got lost again thanks to no left turn signs that are effective from the beginning of morning rush hour to the end of evening rush hour. And we were stuck in traffic the entire time.

Basically, we spent two hours from the point that we got off the interstate trying to get to our hotel. I'm still stressed as hell from it. >.<
Old November 22, 2012, 03:38:05 PM
Kyurem

11/22/12
Washington D.C., Day 2

Happy Thanksgiving!
Today we didn't do a whole lot. We walked over to the Air and Space Museum and looked at some air- and space-craft. Doing that took up most of the day. Then we just sort of walked around downtown for a bit before heading back to the hotel. However, just walking around downtown was great. The weather was beautiful, and since it was a holiday the roads were almost completely deserted, meaning it was peaceful.

Oh, and by "walking around downtown," what actually happened was we walked to the Old Post Office, it was closed, and so we just walked from there to the hotel.

Last edited by NismoZ; November 23, 2012 at 03:35:15 PM.
Old November 23, 2012, 03:35:02 PM
Kyurem

11/23/12
Washington D.C., Day 3

Today. Was. Awesome. We spent a lot of it walking around the city. We started by going to some park and the reflecting pool (though sadly, the bridge through it was closed). Then we just sort of walked to the American History Museum, which we stayed at until lunch when we all decided that it was boring. So we headed up to (and waited in line an hour for) the International Spy Museum, which was interesting and took up most of the day. They had a couple of Bond cars in it as well, namely Bond's famous DB5 and the green Jag that the baddies had in... one of the movies. I know nothing about James Bond

After that, we had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. I loved it; I've never been in one before. I got to pick a song as well. <3
Old November 25, 2012, 06:34:51 PM
Kyurem

Double entry today.

11/24/12
Today we headed to the other Air and Space Museum. Basically, it's two aircraft hangars just outside of D.C. that houses all the awesome stuff that doesn't fit in the main museum. And it is awesome. A few things were more awesome than others, of course. I'm not gonna go into detail because I would bore myself talking about it, but the first thing you see when you step into the first hangar is an SR72 Blackbird. Then apart from that the only thing that really stood out to me was a Concorde, which was the biggest thing in the aviation hangar. There were also a few racing and stunt planes that I was interested in, but not quite as much. Then the space hangar... I wasn't interested at all in any of that apart from the main attraction, the space shuttle Discovery.
After that, we drove back to the hotel (the museum was pretty far away - in Virginia, actually - so we took the car), and headed out to some restaurant to eat. I think that's all we really did.

11/25/12
Today was... rather miserable, actually. We started off heading to the Arlington National Cemetery, which wasn't bad, apart from the fact that at one point I was forced to wait in the cold for 45 minutes. At about 11 AM we headed home. That involved getting lost twice and returning to a snowy New York. And I have school tomorrow. >.<
Old December 8, 2012, 06:46:59 PM
Kyurem

12/8/12
No updates in... quite a long time, actually. But today's been really eventful. To start, the weekly roleplaying club meet.

Today, it was the winter in Mouse Guard. Our task was to stop an awful dripping noise that was audible throughout all of the main town. I might go in-depth with that later, but I haven't got much time and I want to tell you about my main event of the day. Rochester Chip Fest.

Basically, there was a monthly event called Rochester Chip going on for a couple years, and this was to celebrate its 2-year anniversary. Most of the acts were local, with the farthest ones being from New York City. The first act was called Shrimps, who did a sort of hip-hop performance. Three guys were on stage here, one with a sequencer, one with a guitar, and a special guest who did the drums on another sequencer. They remained my favorite of the night. in fact, I bought a CD from them at the merch table. The next was a three-piece chip-rock band called Chip's Challenge. They were rather interesting. My sister bought a CD from them. Next was my third favorite, Faking Amnesia, which just seemed to be one antisocial student from the college's radio station, who never seemed to look up from his Game Boy. After that, we went downstairs for dinner, completely missing most of the next performance, which I was never really interested in. Then, the one I actually bothered to look up before I went - Kris Keyser. His music is definitely full of energy, and he danced himself breathless on stage after just one song. Then... I completely lost track after that. I think the next one up was Bit Runner, but my sister and I were sick of it by that point and just left. We did get a couple other things from the merch table, though; myself a poster, and my sister a modded gray-brick Game Boy, which appears to have a backlight, new buttons, a Pro Sound port, and a new case.

Pictures below! (file names go with band/musician names respectively)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roc-chip-shrimps.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	4218   Click image for larger version

Name:	roc-chip-chips-challenge.JPG
Views:	579
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	4219   Click image for larger version

Name:	roc-chip-faking-amnesia.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	4220   Click image for larger version

Name:	roc-chip-kris-keyser.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	4221   Click image for larger version

Name:	roc-chip-poster.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	4222  
Old December 9, 2012, 03:36:06 PM
Kyurem

12/9/12
Dang, the day's over already? Well, at least I did something today. I went to a chiptune workshop at RIT. Basically, it went over how to use LSDJ, which is something someone made to sequence music on the Game Boy... which I don't have (nor do I have a Game Boy of any sort ). My sister's getting it, but I doubt she'd let me use it. By the way, the Game Boy was pretty much the instrument of choice in Chip Fest. For instance, Kris Keyser had a modded gray-brick, and Faking Amnesia seemed to have a couple bog-standard Pockets (or Colors, I couldn't tell) linked together. Once we got home I loaded up FamiTracker (it's close enough, and unlike LSDJ, it's freeware), but couldn't be motivated to make anything.

Oh, also, I've been having some frustration trying to get the CD I bought last night to work on my computer, thanks to a broken optical drive. >_<
Old December 15, 2012, 02:44:18 PM
Kyurem

12/15/12
Wow. It's already been a week since... yeah. To explain what happened in Mouse Guard today, I guess I should explain what happened last week.

Well, last week we were assigned a mission to solve a dripping sound that was audible throughout the town of Lock Haven - the main place that the Guard is located. After a long time of pointless searching, we came across something. It was a series of tunnels, under all of the town, that had never been discovered before. And the ceiling was cracked, and water was dripping down; hence, the universal dripping sound. We ventured in completely unprepared, and not after long we got lost. Eventually, we discovered that someone was following us. They said that if we were to drop our weapons and blindfold ourselves, they'd lead us out of the tunnels. Riiiight. Well, a few of the party members fell for it, and they were actually led out, to a random place in the town each. Eventually the rest of us got out, and freaked some guy out when we broke through the door. We were brought to the matriarch, and explained everything. She was pissed seeing as there was a major security breach that no one had found before. And apparently that guy was spying on the whole town for who knows how long.

And that leads us to this week. There were reports of attacks on a couple of coastal towns, and we were sent to investigate. Midway there, on the first night, we were attacked by an old guy. We managed to kick his ass, but he escaped. So, with that out of the way, we continued on. Our first destination was a small town called Dawn Rock, but when we got there, no one was there anymore. No one. Not a single mouse. We continued onto the next place. However, we got captured shortly after leaving Dawn Rock, by a couple rats (although, our characters didn't know what the hell they were). Long story short, we were all put in a pen with a couple hundred other captured mice, and then proceeded to **** things up. One of the others in the party ended up being thrown in the ocean. I managed to get into a fight with another in the party for the rats' entertainment, and then got thrown in the ocean as well (after playing dead). And that's where we stand now.

Last edited by NismoZ; December 15, 2012 at 02:44:37 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:15:58 PM
Kyurem

12/21/12
Happy Apocalypse!

So, a number of things contributed to my crappy day today.

Firstly, sleeplessness. I must have gotten 4 hours at the most.

Secondly, the internet went down for 6 and a half hours. Basically, there's a physical firewall that's really a 10-year-old repurposed laptop (and god knows why it's still in use). It decided to sort-of die today. It just completely crashed around 11:30 today. Turned it back on, and it got through boot... and it crashed again. Turned it back on again, it was midway though checking the filesystem when it crashed again. Then I just gave up. Several hours later, my dad came home from work. He went downstairs, turned it on, and it worked. It completely. Freaking. Worked. It would have been nice if it were to work a few hours ago.

Thirdly, and this wasn't actually bad (it's just a thing that happened), I went to get a haircut today. I saw three ambulances on the way there. Within 15 minutes.

So yeah. Nismo out.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:14:37 PM
Kyurem

1/5/13
Well, the roleplaying group that I go to had started doing something interesting. After a couple weeks where we basically did nothing, we revived an old zombie apocalypse RP we had going a while back, on an updated version of a system that we had made on our own. Interestingly, it starts on a cruise ship in the Pacific. So far three of our characters already have almost died, and I managed to throw someone else in the party under the bus (not literally, in case you were wondering ; also, it was acceptable by everyone else because our characters hadn't met each other yet). There were also a couple interesting character concepts; chief among which were an ex-KGB agent that one guy played, and "the rich kid, all grown up."

Nothing else really happened throughout the rest of the day, other than eating out at Chili's. I got a grilled ham & cheese sandwich with BBQ sauce <3
Old March 9, 2013, 02:22:01 PM
Kyurem

3/9/13
Yep. More than two months.
I guess I've got some news. My dad and I have been looking for an old car to buy and fix up, and we've finally settled on something; an '87 VW Scirocco that's out near Albany.
...That's about all of the news, other than some D&D stuff. The old DM moved to NYC a few weeks ago, so we got someone else in the group (who's a little crazy, I have to admit x3) to replace him, and we've already started a second campaign, which is annoying because I liked my character in the old one.
Oh well. That's all for today!
Old March 10, 2013, 10:26:21 AM
Haxorus

Nismoz dungeonman level 43 paladin? pretty cool yo
Old May 18, 2013, 04:35:11 PM
Kyurem

5/18/13
So yeah, another two months with no update.
Well, the past however-long has been pretty eventful for me. I got a new computer (a built desktop this time) and a car, and I actually started learning to drive in it today (yes, at 15, before I even have my learner's permit). I have to say, driving stick doesn't actually seem like it'd be too hard. It'd take some getting used to to start out without jerking, and to be able to downshift properly without skidding, but I don't see why people make a big fuss out of it. You can easily feel where the clutch starts to bite, changing gear is very straightforward, and stopping in gear is also pretty simple. Plus the Mazda, being an older car, was pretty unforgiving; I'd imagine more modern cars are easier to drive.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:21:22 PM
Kyurem

8/20/13

I guess it's about time I update you guys on Montréal and stuff. I went about a week ago for about a week, and simply put, it was awesome.

First day, we went to the Thousand Islands on the way and stayed there for a night. We explored Alexandria Bay, did a boat tour, saw Boldt Castle, and... that was all there was to do at Alex Bay.

Then we went up to Canada and the fun began.

...Specifically, horrible construction on the QEW and the wonderful Canadian drivers who will willingly cut off trucks, buses, and American drivers (but are happy to let pedestrians across even when they have right of way). The construction continued onto the island of Montréal (yes, Montréal is an island in case you didn't know that) and spent the rest of the evening trying to get to our hotel in Longueuil (don't ask me how to pronounce that, I'm not entirely sure myself) on the mainland.

Also, crossing the border to Canada involved going over this really dangerous-looking bridge; big, long, steep, really narrow 2-lane suspension bridge with a 40 MPH speed limit and tons of trucks going up and down it, followed by a tight, long, equally narrow, blind turn where I was thankful that there were no trucks on when we went through it.

The next morning, we got our Métro passes and headed onto the island. We did a bus tour, Laser Quest in a five-story arena, and got a glimpse at the underground city before it was evening again and we had to head back to the hotel.

The next few days are pretty fuzzy in my memory, but I remember going to Old Montréal the next day. Really nice place. Don't remember doing much other than that. We went down to the underground city for dinner, but it turns out Montréal operates on a really weird schedule and everything's closed down there by dinnertime, for some reason.

The next day was much of the same. We did the "Montréal Ghost Tour" at sundown; a guided tour around Old Montréal with ghost stories told at some of the locations. Pretty cool. The tour guide could put on a really good scream, I can say that much.

Around this time I also got the chance to try out Canada's signature snack food, poutine. French fries smothered in cheese curds smothered in gravy, i.e. diabetes on a plate. A single bowl was enough for an entire lunch.

Other than that, nothing really pops out in my memory. Montréal really likes international food, as shown by the huge food court in the center of the underground city. I remember eating a lot of ice cream as well. And enjoying how easy the Métro was to get around.

If you haven't been there before, go there. And stay at the Hôtel le Dauphin in Longueuil, really nice hotel.
Old September 12, 2013, 04:58:28 PM
Kyurem

9/12/13 - In Which I Rant About Microsoft

Today I had to install the Windows Media Feature Pack to get some Media Center stuff to work, because I'm running Windows 7 N and for some reason that doesn't include it. For starters, it took me about 15 minutes to find what I actually needed to download since they named it something completely different than what I needed from it. Then it told me I would need to validate my copy of Windows for it. Okay, it's annoying, but it shouldn't be hard. It gives me a program download for the validator, and...

...It hits me with an error message saying that that the validator is out of date and no longer supported. Pardon my language, but what the ****? Their own program that they linked to was out of date? After several more minutes of looking around, I find a support topic saying that I need to use Internet Explorer.

Bull. It gave me a standalone program, that had nothing to do with my browser. I opened IE anyway, and I get a different approach involving a toolbar or something and it worked. Okay then. And finally, finally, I get the download I want. And then it hits me with a positively massive 303 MB file to seal the deal.

Needless to say, Microsoft has frustrated me today and I'm a little disappointed that the survey failed to appear so I can't complain to them.
Old May 19, 2014, 01:54:53 PM
Kyurem

5/19/14

Today I bought a new pair of shoes.

Name:	VqeJ2qb.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	6178
(sorry for potato quality but you can still see them)

Pretty swag, as they would say.

Okay, I'm kinda joking; I've been conditioned to resent anybody who actually says "swag" in a serious manner. However, the shoes do fit the description, and it's a little weird. It feels sort of taboo; a nerd like me shouldn't wear something like this, and I know I'll probably get shunned by my nerdy friends IRL for it, but it actually feels kind of nice to be part of the mainstream for once.

I don't know, maybe it's just me; being homeschooled for most of my life and spending most of my time on the internet has left me with a desire to fit in and get a piece of what everybody else has that I'm missing out on. Also, between those shoes, my Skullcandy headphones, the fact that I always seem to be wearing a hoodie, and my regularly-worn flat-brimmed cap, I've noticed that I've sort of always been like this.

Huh.

unrelatedly, this cardinal has just flown into my window 8 times in the space of a few minutes. it knew after the first time that it couldn't go through it, surely. but no. it would hit it, then go perch on a tree for a moment, then hit it again.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:30:29 AM
Kyurem

Today is my last day of living in this house.

That means it's my last day of living in the countryside. My last day of living on six acres of land. My last day of views like this.

...I'm getting all sentimental, aren't I? Let's back this up a bit.

God I hate moving. We've been working for about six hours and were about ready to head out to the new house... only to come back and pick up some more stuff, not to mention move our various vehicles around.