Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 23, 2009, 11:14:19 PM
Zoroark

Default Views on battling with ubers?

These days, most players play OU, simply because it's the standard battling tier.
Many people think Ubers require no skill and after EVing Uber battling is simply about chance (of you choice of Uber)
I find Uber battling as challenging as an OU battle, because Ubers have so many different movepools (Mew, Arceus etc)

What are your views?
Old December 24, 2009, 06:54:34 AM
Rayquaza

Default Re: Views on battling with ubers?

Ubers battle is fair and good when your foe is using the same tier. If not, then it is unfair.
Old December 24, 2009, 02:36:50 PM
Giratina

If you both agree that you can use ubers, it's fine, and puts up a tough challenge. I had a battle with someone once, me without any ubers and him with 3. I won, with my final 'Mon in red.
Old December 24, 2009, 05:30:32 PM
Servine

I personally don't use ubers because i find them boring. I enjoy using regular Pokemon. I don't mind battling people and them using ubers but i personally don't.
Old December 24, 2009, 06:52:35 PM
Keldeo

The uber tier is ok. It just doesn't seem very versatile though ya know?
I actually prefer UU/NU to OU because it has more versatility~! =w=
Old December 25, 2009, 09:24:00 AM
Charizard

I love making all the little kids on my bus cry because I own them with my EV trained team.

(My morning bus is made up of Kindergarden thru 8th grade)
Old December 25, 2009, 11:53:07 AM
Servine

I have never really battled competitively but imo I see battling with Ubers is just as challenging as any other tier. This being when both players use Ubers. I think the reason why people dislike the use of them, is that it pushes back other pokemon who don't stand up, meaning to stand a chance, players have to use Ubers.

As I said I am far from a pro so I don't know what the 'gap' is between the tiers. But I would assume that the use of standard rules means that all OU and below are at least feasible whereas Ubers are just that step to strong making other pokemon redundant.

I like using any rules as long as both players agree ^^.
Old December 26, 2009, 12:41:16 AM
Giratina

Like everyone here, I have no problem with Uber battles, as long as both sides use Ubers and/or know of it.
However, I don't find them as interesting as OU/UU/NU, which otherwise provide a greater challenge, and require better skills of making good teams.
Old December 29, 2009, 12:00:35 AM
Volcarona

I greatly dislike using ubers as the WHOLE battle, but like using maybe, 1 uber per team, so as to give more strategy to it all.
Old December 31, 2009, 08:05:05 AM
Servine

I won´t use übers in any battles. I find them nice to collect but I don´t want to train them. My strategies won´t develop if I use just some cheap legendaries. Their power isn´t everything.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:50:36 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loechai View Post
I won´t use übers in any battles. I find them nice to collect but I don´t want to train them. My strategies won´t develop if I use just some cheap legendaries. Their power isn´t everything.
I think he means in the Uber tier, as in both players use a team of six ubers. I personally think that every tier requires skill; you have to use a team that can handle the top threats, but still have a surprise element so that you can't be countered immediately. I like UU the best, because there are a wide variety of pokemon available, plus some of the pokemon in NU can be used well like Linoone and Qwilfish.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:04:03 PM
Zoroark

Ubers are fine against others and as a means to power through some of the extras after the main story is finished. They can be fun to play with when you already have a designated team and are handy for switches during EV and/or EXP training of other weaker Pokemon, but otherwise it should be discouraged.

Although I always loved using Mewtwo on Pokemon Stadium. When I caught it, everyone in the neighborhood thought I was the most awesome kid on the block. Psychic was once one hell of a scary move.

My one moment of popularity thanks to a digital beast.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:14:12 PM
Volcarona

I honestly don't care if people use Ubers or not. Generally the ones that spam ubers suck anyways, and if you only have 1 or 2 then It's KO'd just like any other pokemon. I generally go for type advantage when facing them. Simple, yet effective.
I use ubers in game, but generally not vs. other people.
Old April 2, 2010, 03:24:01 PM
Joltik

my take is i see no realy point to seporate pokemon into tiers. In my defence all pokemon are the same (not counting legends trios not in question.) Each pokemon fully evolved to final stage are all strong its all in the way you train them. "ubers" are not if i may say this "the noobs way out" pretty much the cheap hit in the heat of battle but a slight bit more of a challenge to battle.Me i use only one "uber" most of the time on my team and on certian situations 2 depending on a few things (no need to go into detail.)All i'm saying is if you ask me there is no need to seporate pokemon into these tiers the only teir that needs to be is all (fully) evolved pokemon and the legends/Trio members. if you ask me "uber" pokemon are no different that OU etc.
Old April 2, 2010, 03:27:49 PM
Regigigas

Ubers are cool if your playing against other ubers. But in a regular or gym leader battle, they should be left out. Although F.E. pkmn are strong, ubers break the game too much.