Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 7, 2011, 09:11:04 AM
Regigigas

Default Wii-U Officially Announced at Nintendo's E3 2011 Conference

Today, the successor of the Nintendo Wii home console, called the "Wii-U" was officially revealed. Many rumors were revealed to be true, with the controller being the main focus, having a built-in 6 inch touch screen, gyroscope, microphone, inward-facing camera, two slide pads, a traditional cross-style motion button, two Z-buttons (Left-Z and Right-Z) and an L and R button. The system also allows players to move their game from the television screen onto the controller itself via local wireless transmission, allowing others to use the television if need be, without interrupting your gaming experience. Video chat with the controller is also supported, as well as games such as Connect 4 being playable on the controller itself. Additionally, the console supports HD games, is backwards-compatible for Wii games and controllers, and can be used as a tablet. Content in development includes Ninja Gaiden, Tekken, Batman:Arkham City, and Darksiders 2. Satoru Iwata, Global President of Nintendo, announced that after discussing whether his next game should be on the Nintendo 3DS or Wii-U with Masahiro Sakurai, he decided to develop a Super Smash Bros. game for both systems, that can also be played with both integrated into one experience.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiiu.jpg
Views:	4360
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	2027  

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; June 7, 2011 at 10:44:30 AM.
Old June 7, 2011, 09:23:23 AM
Volcarona

MIND = BLOWN

Seriously, Nintendo manges to always surprise me. The controller, personally, looks great, and it'll be fun to play with. I'm also intrigued with the new SSB game. Will they fix all of the issues with that last game? Hopefully, especially with that horribly online.
Old June 7, 2011, 09:30:38 AM
Administrator

I would ramble like crazy here, but I'm still too tired from being awake all night. Just everything looks so awesome, not to mention the little hidden Mario Party 9 in the logos, and that Super Mario 3D game looks epic. Gotta get those!

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 7, 2011 at 09:32:52 AM. Reason: Typos... "I'm still too tired from being awake all night."
Old June 7, 2011, 10:20:42 AM
Giratina

Heh, looks pretty cool. We'll have to wait, though, to see if it's really legit or not.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:29:44 AM
Administrator

The system itself kinda looks like a combination of Xbox 360 and Wii.

Though there is only one word to describe all this: WANT
Old June 7, 2011, 10:55:30 AM
Rayquaza

Right now the only game I care about it SSB4.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:22:23 AM
Volcarona

I can think of just one thing to say here (Even though Yoshi already said it anyway): DO WANT.

Last edited by LucarioMario; June 7, 2011 at 11:23:37 AM.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
Haxorus

Looks pretty decent, Nintendo never cease to please me.

Last edited by UltimaRaichu; June 7, 2011 at 11:26:50 AM.
Old June 7, 2011, 02:07:52 PM
Giratina

Everything about this looks great.

'Cept the name.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Shaymin

Satoru Iwata said "Smash Bros" and "WiiU" in the same sentence and I immediately counted up the money in my wallet.

It'll be enough by 2012 >:I
Old June 7, 2011, 06:09:19 PM
Haxorus

The name sounds like a police siren if you say it fast. WIIU WIIU WIIU!
Old June 7, 2011, 06:20:06 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
The system itself kinda looks like a combination of Xbox 360 and Wii.

Though there is only one word to describe all this: NEED
Fix'd

Finally, this will mean I can play Resident Evil 4, Sonic Colors, Smash Bros. , and Donkey Kong Country Returns on the road....Sweet. Also, Batman Arkham City?! I was shocked to find that.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:21:26 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario227 View Post
Also, Batman Arkham City?! I was shocked to find that.
If Nintendo wants to appeal to the majority of gamers they need to get some third party stuff.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:23:30 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucarioMario View Post
I can think of just one thing to say here (Even though Yoshi already said it anyway): DO NEED.
Yay for being unoriginal!
Old June 7, 2011, 06:25:26 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Finally, this will mean I can play Resident Evil 4, Sonic Colors, Smash Bros. , and Donkey Kong Country Returns on the road
No you won't. It's a home console. Iwata specifically stated during the presentation that this is NOT a portable device- the WiiU streams images onto the WiiU controller wirelessly.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:27:24 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
No you won't. It's a home console. Iwata specifically stated during the presentation that this is NOT a portable device- the WiiU streams images onto the WiiU controller wirelessly.
Okay, that makes sense. I guess we will wait till Nintendo can do it however, I'm going to enjoy playing on the Wii U regardless.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:48:42 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. I guess we will wait till Nintendo can do it however, I'm going to enjoy playing on the Wii U regardless.
What Lite said is correct. However, Sony, or more specifically, Konami, under direction from Hideo Kojima, has developed a means of doing such a thing. They call it "Transfarring". A player would own both a PS3 version and a PSP version of a game, and the same save file can be played on the PS3 or the PSP by transferring between the two and suspending the one that isn't in use. Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are being remade in HD for the PS3 for this purpose. Kojima also plans to incorporate the NGP (or rather, the Playstation Vita) into Transfarring as well in the future.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya View Post
What Lite said is correct. However, Sony, or more specifically, Konami, under direction from Hideo Kojima, has developed a means of doing such a thing. They call it "Transfarring". A player would own both a PS3 version and a PSP version of a game, and the same save file can be played on the PS3 or the PSP by transferring between the two and suspending the one that isn't in use. Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are being remade in HD for the PS3 for this purpose. Kojima also plans to incorporate the NGP (or rather, the Playstation Vita) into Transfarring as well in the future.
I wonder how long until cross-platform games (like Wii/360/PS3) games will get some kind of true multiplayer and not just high score tables.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:58:11 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya View Post
Yes but the Vita's going to totally bomb because you need to pay for cellular access.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:19:34 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Yes but the Vita's going to totally bomb because you need to pay for cellular access.
Pretty much. Plus, Sony just can't match the demographic of people who own Nintendo handheld systems. Many people (lots of children where I live, in particular) own multiple DS systems (not to mention you own every single one). People -may- consider buying a PSP (I've had one for ages) or the Vita, but without the right content, it lacks any true appeal. Nintendo did in fact accomplish their goal of introducing casual players to gaming. Not to mention Nintendo is probably the only video game company out there that could be completely self-sufficient and rely solely on 1st-Party Developers. What Sony and Microsoft lack is properly established and grounded 1st-Party titles, not to mention the sheer difference in scale between them.
Old June 8, 2011, 10:45:30 PM
Giratina

Back on the subject of Nintendo...

Nintendo's E3 was simply amazing. The WiiU is very intriguing, but what really got my attention was Luigi's Mansion 2. :O

I want to see more of what the WiiU can do.

Nintendo, I've only got so much money and gasps in me. Try to tone it down next year!
Old June 9, 2011, 04:47:31 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Back on the subject of Nintendo...

Nintendo's E3 was simply amazing. The WiiU is very intriguing, but what really got my attention was Luigi's Mansion 2. :O

I want to see more of what the WiiU can do.

Nintendo, I've only got so much money and gasps in me. Try to tone it down next year!
You...aren't thinking that this game is on the WiiU, are you? Because it's for the 3DS.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:54:17 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYoshi View Post
You...aren't thinking that this game is on the WiiU, are you? Because it's for the 3DS.
I think what he meant by that is Luigi's Manson 2 got more of his attention than the Wii U.
Old June 14, 2011, 02:37:08 AM
Giratina

Nintendo's E3 was very exciting! Although I think Sony really stepped up its game after the negative reputation associated with the PSN hack, it was of no match to Nintendo. The Wii U is a truly intriguing and original concept which caught my attention, so I'm thrilled to learn more about it and the its future titles. The games mentioned, most notably SSBB4, Luigi's Mansion 2 and a couple others, were also quite amazing. All in all, I think Nintendo blew it away this year.
Old June 14, 2011, 09:33:41 AM
Volcarona

I remember playing Luigi's Mansion on the good ol' gamecube. Those were great times. Also, I'm a bit dissapointed Nintendo didn't show gameplay of SSB4 or at least a small teaser trailer.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:49:41 AM
Floatzel

He annouced SSB4 but not confirmed yet
Old June 17, 2011, 08:14:45 AM
Regigigas

I still don't know if I want to buy the WiiU or 3DS (I'm definitely not getting the Vita anytime soon). They both seem expensive. Though I may buy it for Pikmin 3.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:38:34 AM
Charizard

I can't imagine how awesome the WiiU will be