Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Items Be Allowed?
Yes / Sí / Ja 9 47.37%
No / No / Nein 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old December 5, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
Kyurem

Default December Brawl Tourney Discussion

Is it just me, or have we been without tourney for a while? Victory Road had a massive Super Smash Bros. Brawl tourney last December, so having another one just makes sense! Below are the rules that I had in mind, based on previous Brawl tournaments, so feel free to comment or question any of them if you feel the need to do so.

Type of Battle: 1 vs. 1. 3 stock. 8 minutes time. Best two out of three. This is widely considered the most fair type of battle, so as such this tourney will operate under those rules.

No Hacking or Glitching: This is an easy one! Just play fair and everything is fine.

Character Selection Rules: Any character can be picked, so don't worry about that.

List of Fair Stages:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

The stages have been picked because they don't rely heavily on luck, and are generally balanced to all characters. Stages like Wario Ware can provide invincibility which is a huge game turner, and Summit is unfair to characters with tether recovery. If you feel a stage should be added or removed, feel free to say so, naturally giving reasons why you think it should be allowed.

Item Rule: Thanks to a 9-6 poll on December 10, it has been established that items are banned. There is no need to discuss items being usable anymore, because they just aren't.

Well, those are the main rules! The tourney's date is still being thought about, since the last Saturday of the month is Christmas Day. If you think any rules should be added or modified, please don't hesitate to say something!

Last edited by Alakazamaster; December 10, 2010 at 12:11:56 PM.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:13:01 PM
Giratina

YAY! Another one! It compensates the fact my Brawl disc broke a year ago and got a new one!
So, all I have to say is this: ADD ONETT.
And wouldn't it be more Tournament like if you tested their skills without items?
Old December 5, 2010, 02:02:25 PM
Keldeo

skills =/= items

Derp. :V Its just whoever gets said item first basically. But people were complaining due to the lack of items last time. Im not gonna vote because im strictly IRL tourneys now.(Because its incredibly easy to abuse wifi lag by spamming brick wall attacks like with zelda or lucario and of course Metaknight) but if you people that like items don't get em, try using diddy. Hes considered really good competitively because of his banana shenanigans. =w=

Onnets considered illegal because certain characters can do infinites on it. =X As long as no one here knows how to do them though then its all good. =w=b but then again, up to you guys.

Oh um, and if any yoshi players are reading this, go green greens! Its probably yoshis best course. He can camp with eggs and U-smash on wifi on that stage. :V

Also I think bob-ombs should be banned incase items are allowed. Seriously, how many times have ya been minding your own business when one spawns right on top of you and explodes? X_X

EDIT: Oh boy, one more thing. On green greens ALOT of characters can do infinites against the walls. Now, tectonically this is allowed in real competitive tourneys, however your only allowed to do them up until 300%. I'll let you guys decide if infinites are allowed to that point, but honestly I think its incredibly gay. :V

Last edited by Sunny; December 5, 2010 at 02:14:15 PM.
Old December 5, 2010, 02:24:43 PM
Volcarona

Woo! Another Brawl tourney. Hope I can make it this time. For the items I don't really care much. I think Green Greens should be ban because people can camp there and the bomb in the blocks could be an hazard.
Old December 5, 2010, 06:42:46 PM
Keldeo

Yea, actually when green greens was considered legalized, some member of the brawl backroom staff were demodded for legalizing it...or so its rumored thats why they were. But the infinites on the stage heavily favor certain characters...mostly Dedede. :V
Old December 6, 2010, 02:34:12 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
skills =/= items

Exactly.

Onnets considered illegal because certain characters can do infinites on it. =X As long as no one here knows how to do them though then its all good. =w=b but then again, up to you guys.

Don't forget the cars dood. (Though really they tend to KO you if you're standing close to the edges of the stage or you're at a high %age

Also I think bob-ombs should be banned incase items are allowed. Seriously, how many times have ya been minding your own business when one spawns right on top of you and explodes? X_X

Indeed.
I'd say turn items off or keep them at low. Relying on items to win shows a lack of skill...
Old December 6, 2010, 12:13:26 PM
Floatzel

I would very much like to participate in this tourney even though Melee is a far superior game and I'll probably be free on [whenever this tourney is] so that'll work. As long as it's like the 31st or something.

And I support no items. Especially no Bob-ombs. Those are [CENSORED] annoying.
Old December 7, 2010, 02:57:18 PM
Cyndaquil

Items are a no no, and once you guys decide on a date, I'll let you know if I can participate or not. But I'm trying to get back into brawl so I really want to join this.
Old December 7, 2010, 02:58:57 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
I agree with most of these stages, but there are some that I am opposed to. Mainly the stages that can kill you (Includes Pictochat, Norfair, Halberd, and Brinstar). I am also opposed to Rainbow Cruise, but that is a matter of personal opinion and the fact that it is an auto-scrolling map.

One last map I oppose is Pokémon Stadium 2. This is due to the stage sometimes having the type of stage being switched to flying or electric. I don't think I have to explain why those two are annoying.

I am also strongly opposed to the use of items. If you truly had skill, you wouldn't need to throw a capsule holding a bomb at your opponent. Also, Sonic + Smash Ball = broken.
Old December 7, 2010, 03:41:02 PM
Regigigas

Yay! A tournament I can actually participate in! We should probably hold it on a weekday after most of us are on Christmas break. As for items, if we have any it should be limited to either smash balls or pokeballs on low.
Old December 7, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
Volcarona

Tournumate you say? I shall be partcicpating!

..or not... depending on the date...
Anyhoo, items you say? Hm..... well, depends on what you want. Just a "casual" tournumate, not all comeptitive, just for fun. Or, super all out omega serious tournumate!It's really up to you.
Also, I fail at spelling tournumate.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:28:11 AM
Shaymin

I just noticed that my vote for Yes on Prop Items just made it an even 50-50 between the votes. :I

Leave the items on so that more casual players would be open to participate, but ban items people can come to a general consensus to ban.
Old December 8, 2010, 03:36:55 PM
Volcarona

Here's something we could do- a compromise?(Typo?)

There would be two different tourneys- one for items, one not. The workings would all the same, and then, the two winners from both sides would fight each other, with no items. Would it work?
Old December 8, 2010, 04:51:16 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Also, Sonic + Smash Ball = broken.
Really?! I was once able to dodge all of his attacks in his super form.

Although, items should be banned from this toruney. I will probably not be in this tourney since I'm better off just finding people online to fight rather then just a (no offense) stupid forum prize. Besides, the fan will totally kill the challenge of a tourney.
Old December 9, 2010, 03:39:12 PM
Zoroark

I'll join

I voted no on items because i find items to be a hassle and a waste of time getting to them just to have no effect.

I also agree with Quad on his ideas for the stages to be banned.

One more thing; a date needs to be settled because we can get the applicants to verify if that will work or not. If some days don't work, find a day where the most applicants can make it. I for one can't make the 24th, 25th, or 26th. Just letting you know.

Last edited by Arceus is Epic; December 9, 2010 at 03:48:33 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:58:59 AM
Zoroark

I'll join if it isn't too late. I just got my internet back up and working
Old December 10, 2010, 07:42:48 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
I agree with most of these stages, but there are some that I am opposed to. Mainly the stages that can kill you (Includes Pictochat

By staying on the predominantly left side of the stage, one can avoid all of the obstacles that appear on the stage in Pictochat. ...You DO know that, right?,

Norfair

Norfair isn't banned because the lava flows rise within predictable intervals of 13 seconds, and the lava has a small 1% hitbox that most people can block/dodge.,

Halberd

The cannonballs and the laser beams in the back of the stage are easily dodged. The only time they do hit someone is if they're incredibly slow or if the player is idle.,

and Brinstar
Just like Norfair, the acid flows in Brinstar flow within predictable intervals and can be easily avoided.).

I am also opposed to Rainbow Cruise, but that is a matter of personal opinion and the fact that it is an auto-scrolling map.

The only characters who should really have problems on this stage are heavy characters like Bowser and Ganondorf.

One last map I oppose is Pokémon Stadium 2. This is due to the stage sometimes having the type of stage being switched to flying or electric. I don't think I have to explain why those two are annoying.

Yes, you do, actually.

Flying PS2 restricts you to aerial combat. I don't really see how that's a problem.

Electric stage isn't a problem at all. I mean, if the treadmills hinder you THAT much, then you seriously have problems of your own. Plus, there's three platforms on that stage transformation that you can stand on that DON'T move.

I am also strongly opposed to the use of items. If you truly had skill, you wouldn't need to throw a capsule holding a bomb at your opponent.

I believe that some people can use items "skillfully" but that's just me.

Also, Sonic + Smash Ball = broken.

And apparently Pikachu + Smash Ball = okay. Sonic's not the only character with a transformation, roaming Final Smash.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:09:56 AM
Giratina

You see Lite, all that would make sense if you were playing by yourself or your opponent didn't want to attack you. It's kinda hard to dodge stage hazards if you get hit into them.

And about PS2's electric stage, yea there are platforms that don't move, but the treadmills make recovering harder. And the flying stage, it makes heavier characters, such as Ike, a tad over powered because they can knock massive amounts of damage into floating opponents because a lot of their heavier attacks are air attacks, making it much easier to KO opponents on top of making it easier for the heavier characters to recover.

And I DO know about the others with a "roaming" Final Smash, in fact, I know a lot of them are over powered. I point out sonic because Sonic's is incredibly fast and very powerful.
Furthered in here    
Fox/Falco/Wolf's is over powered because all you have to do is spin or shoot and you are almost guaranteed a KO.

I wouldn't say Pikachu's is great because it is kinda hard to control and isn't as strong as Sonic's.

Wario's is over powered because he can't be knocked back, he jumps super high, and his attacks get double power.

Marth's is an instant KO to whoever is caught in a combo or isn't prepared.

Link/Toon Link's stops anyone from recovering.

Zelda/Sheik's is an instant KO to anyone who is caught in a straight line.

Mario's is an instant KO to anyone that is too close to an edge.

Luigi's is practically a KO because it renders opponents useless.

Ice Climbers'(?) isn't a KO, but does enough damage to the opponent where it is an easy KO.

One thing I almost forgot, Rainbow Cruise. I don't mind the fact that it is legal, I just personally hate moving stages.

EDIT: Oh yes, the items. Seeing as throwing items that aren't bombs do just about as much knock back as each other, it makes characters who can't do a kill shot easy a little harder to fight against (I talking about characters that are fast, but don't have super strong moves, such as Sonic and Diddy Kong).

Last edited by Quadcentruo; December 10, 2010 at 11:12:47 AM.
Old December 10, 2010, 12:10:55 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
You see Lite, all that would make sense if you were playing by yourself or your opponent didn't want to attack you. It's kinda hard to dodge stage hazards if you get hit into them.

And about PS2's electric stage, yea there are platforms that don't move, but the treadmills make recovering harder. And the flying stage, it makes heavier characters, such as Ike, a tad over powered because they can knock massive amounts of damage into floating opponents because a lot of their heavier attacks are air attacks, making it much easier to KO opponents on top of making it easier for the heavier characters to recover.

And I DO know about the others with a "roaming" Final Smash, in fact, I know a lot of them are over powered. I point out sonic because Sonic's is incredibly fast and very powerful.
Furthered in here    
Fox/Falco/Wolf's is over powered because all you have to do is spin or shoot and you are almost guaranteed a KO.

I wouldn't say Pikachu's is great because it is kinda hard to control and isn't as strong as Sonic's.

Wario's is over powered because he can't be knocked back, he jumps super high, and his attacks get double power.

Marth's is an instant KO to whoever is caught in a combo or isn't prepared.

Link/Toon Link's stops anyone from recovering.

Zelda/Sheik's is an instant KO to anyone who is caught in a straight line.

Mario's is an instant KO to anyone that is too close to an edge.

Luigi's is practically a KO because it renders opponents useless.

Ice Climbers'(?) isn't a KO, but does enough damage to the opponent where it is an easy KO.

One thing I almost forgot, Rainbow Cruise. I don't mind the fact that it is legal, I just personally hate moving stages.

EDIT: Oh yes, the items. Seeing as throwing items that aren't bombs do just about as much knock back as each other, it makes characters who can't do a kill shot easy a little harder to fight against (I talking about characters that are fast, but don't have super strong moves, such as Sonic and Diddy Kong).
Well its actually been kinda established by the Smashing Community that simply having a hazard on the stage does not make it ban worthy, especially if its one something like Halberd where the laser gun slowly follows you, then locks on to one point and beeps for a while until finally going off. All of the points that he brings up are spot on and give the most valid reasons as to why a stage is legal.

Also, based on poll results, I'm going to have to say that ITEMS ARE BANNED FROM THIS TOURNAMENT.

As such, the discussion about items need not go any further, and the first page shall be edited to say such!

P.S. You are completely right about Sonic > Pikachu in terms of Final Smash, but I find it a little funny you brought up Mario's less-than-amazing Final Smash that can just be jumped over, haha.
Old December 10, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
List of Fair Stages:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
I have a suggesstion. Why not have Bridge of Eldin there because it may have a hazard that can push you backwards or even off the screen but that can be avoided easily. It is also a flat stage so no crevices to hide in and take cover under.
Old December 10, 2010, 05:34:22 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceus is Epic View Post
I have a suggesstion. Why not have Bridge of Eldin there because it may have a hazard that can push you backwards or even off the screen but that can be avoided easily. It is also a flat stage so no crevices to hide in and take cover under.
The flat surface is the problem. It gives a HUGE advantage to characters that can take advantage of it such as Pit or Falco, leaving other characters at quite the disadvantage.
Old December 10, 2010, 06:16:21 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
The flat surface is the problem. It gives a HUGE advantage to characters that can take advantage of it such as Pit or Falco, leaving other characters at quite the disadvantage.
Yes but so is Final Destination but everyone likes Final Destination and no hazards. Would that still give characters such as Pit and Falco as much of an advantage?
Old December 10, 2010, 07:42:25 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Yes but so is Final Destination but everyone likes Final Destination and no hazards. Would that still give characters such as Pit and Falco as much of an advantage?
Bridge of Eldin spans a MASSIVE horizontal distance, and doesn't even have any edge to hide on unless the middle of the bride gets busted out. Final Destination, though, spans a shorter distance making camping more difficult, and also has the protective edges.

The most balanced level is often considered Smashville, though, because the moving platform balances things out more.
Old December 10, 2010, 07:47:40 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Bridge of Eldin spans a MASSIVE horizontal distance, and doesn't even have any edge to hide on unless the middle of the bride gets busted out. Final Destination, though, spans a shorter distance making camping more difficult, and also has the protective edges.

The most balanced level is often considered Smashville, though, because the moving platform balances things out more.
Okay, thank you for clarifying that. On another note, are there any banned characters? (spammy movesets, Final Smashes, too "cheap", too "techy", etc.) I know it says all characters, but some people may not like their opponent due to their "cheapness". (as i referred to earlier)

Last edited by Arceus is Epic; December 10, 2010 at 07:49:52 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 07:50:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Okay, thank you for clarifying that. On another note, are there any banned characters? (spammy movesets, Final Smashes, too "cheap", too "techy", etc.) I know it says all characters, but some people may not like their opponent due to their "cheapness". (as i referred to earlier)
No, there has yet to be a banned character yet.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:52:57 PM
Shaymin

Banning characters would be incredibly controversial. We probably won't be banning any characters unless we get a ****-ton of new users from Smashboards for some reason who all just happen to be incredibly anti-Meta Knight. (and if they're Japanese they'll also be anti-Snake, but who keeps track of the international S-tier anyway?)
Old December 11, 2010, 12:47:41 AM
Keldeo

I think I might enter as metaknight and plank all day, just to be annoying. :3
Old December 11, 2010, 07:17:13 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Well its actually been kinda established by the Smashing Community that simply having a hazard on the stage does not make it ban worthy, especially if its one something like Halberd where the laser gun slowly follows you, then locks on to one point and beeps for a while until finally going off. All of the points that he brings up are spot on and give the most valid reasons as to why a stage is legal.
But remember what I said, it's hard to avoid hazards when you get hit into them.

Someone can juggle you into the lava on Norfair, hit you onto one of the spikes, missiles, or the piranha plant on Pictochat, throw you into the lazer or bomb on Halbred. The hazards may not do a lot, but they have massive knock back when you have a decent sized damage percent.

And the points Lite brings up are NOT spot on because that would mean you aren't being attacked or you are not moving. I don't think any one could win a Brawl match without moving from one spot or not being attacked by their opponent.

You can do whatever you want with the legal stages, I just wont like it.
Old December 11, 2010, 08:49:49 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
But remember what I said, it's hard to avoid hazards when you get hit into them.

Someone can juggle you into the lava on Norfair, hit you onto one of the spikes, missiles, or the piranha plant on Pictochat, throw you into the lazer or bomb on Halbred. The hazards may not do a lot, but they have massive knock back when you have a decent sized damage percent.

And the points Lite brings up are NOT spot on because that would mean you aren't being attacked or you are not moving. I don't think any one could win a Brawl match without moving from one spot or not being attacked by their opponent.

You can do whatever you want with the legal stages, I just wont like it.
If one is constantly being hit into hazards, then one can't be a fantastic player to begin with. And its not like its completely one-sided; you can also send foes into whatever hazards concern you. Plus, as I sad, most of the hazards are dreadfully slow and predictable, and attentive players often don't have glaring problems with them.
Old December 11, 2010, 09:24:02 AM
Keldeo

I'd like to point out those stages are meant for counterpick. There meant to lean slightly on the haxxy side, but there still perfectly playable. All haxards are easy to avoid unless the opponent manages to get you in them, but its all fair, as your can do the same. I like to grab people when the lazor on halberd comes and wait for it. =p
Old December 12, 2010, 04:28:53 AM
Giratina

As a side question, at what time will this tournament be held? I already know it will take place on the 25th of December, and since it will be during my winter break, I have a good chance of participating, but I need to know the time first.

Last edited by Shadow; December 12, 2010 at 04:29:56 AM.
Old December 12, 2010, 06:02:38 AM
Giratina

I do not want a reply to this post, this is just a reason why I strongly oppose stages with stage hazards.

The reason I oppose them so much is because all it takes is one lucky hit to change the flow of the match. For example, as I was playing on Pictochat, both me and my opponent were down to their last stock. I thought I had the game in the bag, but I got hit into the piranha plant and that was game.

What I'm saying is, those stages are based more on luck - just like what Sunny said.
I want this post, to be the last post regarding stage hazards and why they are legal.
Old December 12, 2010, 09:04:05 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
As a side question, at what time will this tournament be held? I already know it will take place on the 25th of December, and since it will be during my winter break, I have a good chance of participating, but I need to know the time first.
It actually isn't taking place on December 25th. What with the fact that its Christmas Day, many of our forum-goers will have other things that they have planned. It will likely take place on the 26th, or perhaps a day during the week after the 26th since many people will be on Christmas Vacation.
Old December 12, 2010, 09:22:04 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
It will likely take place on the 26th, or perhaps a day during the week after the 26th since many people will be on Christmas Vacation.
Like I said eariler, I won't make the 26th.
My best idea for date would be on the 29th because if people went on vacation, they would be back by Wednesday (29th). As for time, I think the preffered time would be around 3:00 EST.
Old December 13, 2010, 04:50:13 PM
Keldeo

Hey kazzy, will you be using the counter pick method?

Ya know, loser of first round chooses the next stage? I can fill ya in on the details if ya want~!
Old December 13, 2010, 04:56:52 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Hey kazzy, will you be using the counter pick method?

Ya know, loser of first round chooses the next stage? I can fill ya in on the details if ya want~!
Hmmm you know I think that may actually be pretty viable in this tournament. I remain all ears!
Old December 13, 2010, 11:02:07 PM
Giratina

Quote:
It actually isn't taking place on December 25th. What with the fact that its Christmas Day, many of our forum-goers will have other things that they have planned. It will likely take place on the 26th, or perhaps a day during the week after the 26th since many people will be on Christmas Vacation.
I personally think that postponing it two or three days after Christmas is the best idea, as most of the members who will go on vacation will probably be back by then. Anyways, I'm fine with any date as long as it is not around January 1st, as that is when school will start again.
Old December 14, 2010, 03:51:09 AM
Haxorus

when is this gonna be? i'd like to join, but i'd prefer that rainbow road wasn't allowed. it's unfair to characters with poor jumping abilities. and slow characters.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:14:40 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbreon7 View Post
when is this gonna be? i'd like to join, but i'd prefer that rainbow road wasn't allowed. it's unfair to characters with poor jumping abilities. and slow characters.
Rainbow road? Are you sure you are talking about the right tourney? Last time I checked, Brawl doesn't have a stage named "Rainbow Road".
Old December 14, 2010, 06:53:04 AM
Charizard

I think that counterpicks are too complicated to worry about for this, and that we should only be allowed to choose the "legal" stages that Zam has provided us with. Over Wi-Fi, it's too difficult for people to say, "Now we're playing on this stage since I lost!" often. Sure, I disagree with some of the stages that Zam allowed, but that really doesn't matter. If I'm put on an "unfair" stage, I'll just deal with it. However, all I know is that I'll be picking Final almost every time, regardless.

Also, the 29th or the 30th are the most reasonable dates to hold this tournament on, in order to allow the most people to be active then. It's better if we have the date up as soon as possible, so people don't make plans on our tournament day.

Last edited by Amir; December 14, 2010 at 06:54:49 AM.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:07:11 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Rainbow road? Are you sure you are talking about the right tourney? Last time I checked, Brawl doesn't have a stage named "Rainbow Road".
sorry i mean rainbow ride or whatever it's called
Old December 14, 2010, 11:15:37 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
sorry i mean rainbow ride or whatever it's called
I'm pretty sure you're trying to say "Rainbow Cruise". (The self-moving stage)
I agree though, not many people are fans of that stage.
Old December 14, 2010, 11:29:39 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're trying to say "Rainbow Cruise". (The self-moving stage)
I agree though, not many people are fans of that stage.
yes that's it!!
i hate it cause sometimes i use the slower more powerful characters who can't jump and on that stage they're at an extreme disadvantage
Old December 14, 2010, 12:31:16 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
I think that counterpicks are too complicated to worry about for this, and that we should only be allowed to choose the "legal" stages that Zam has provided us with. Over Wi-Fi, it's too difficult for people to say, "Now we're playing on this stage since I lost!" often. Sure, I disagree with some of the stages that Zam allowed, but that really doesn't matter. If I'm put on an "unfair" stage, I'll just deal with it. However, all I know is that I'll be picking Final almost every time, regardless.

Also, the 29th or the 30th are the most reasonable dates to hold this tournament on, in order to allow the most people to be active then. It's better if we have the date up as soon as possible, so people don't make plans on our tournament day.
Actually, under the "Options" menu, there is a stage selection option that allows for loser's choice. This allows for the counter-pick method to work rather well, since there is not the chance that the winner's stage will be picked.

Quote:
yes that's it!!
i hate it cause sometimes i use the slower more powerful characters who can't jump and on that stage they're at an extreme disadvantage
Well in a game like Brawl, there will always be characters that have disadvantages on stages, because they are all so different. Rainbow Cruise is a counter-pick stage, meaning that it will only show up if the loser of the last round picks it, but keep in mind that it is very difficult for everything to be flawlessly balanced.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; December 14, 2010 at 12:31:39 PM.
Old December 14, 2010, 12:33:44 PM
Charizard

Ahh. I wouldn't know. I don't even have the Random Stage Selection unlocked, so I can't choose which stages I want random to pick and the like.

Last edited by Amir; December 14, 2010 at 12:34:39 PM.
Old December 14, 2010, 03:09:44 PM
Keldeo

Oooh really? Omg I totally didn't know that! xD Haha, I was about to agree with amir until I saw that~! That makes it much less complicated~!

Also haaaaiiii banana boy~! Super glad your back for a bit again~! ;3

Ahhh anywho~! About the counterpick system~! Usually both players would choose from a "neutral" stage the first round. The nuetral stages include yoshi's island, final destination, battlefield and smashville~! Oh and in some cases delfino square. Whoever loses the first round is allowed to choose the next stage to play on. It can either be a neutral stage or a counter pick. The final stage to play on if theres a 3rd round is either decided threw stage striking (In this case that would be too complicated, so we'll just have each player choose a stage normally and let the computer decide who gets it to be fair) or countrpicking but i'll let ya be the judge of that.

Also you can modify the rules anyway you please to fit the tourney to your liking. Like I can see how some people wouldn't like having to pick neutrals the first round so if you want you can modify that rule and let the computer choose what person gets there stage, but again, up to you~! =w=
Old December 14, 2010, 04:34:15 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
If it is that date I will join but it will get rid of some of the user because of Christmas. That is the only day I can do it because I don't have WiFi and my uncle and aunt (which where I go for Christmas) have WiFi.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:26:22 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblast64 View Post
If it is that date I will join but it will get rid of some of the user because of Christmas. That is the only day I can do it because I don't have WiFi and my uncle and aunt (which where I go for Christmas) have WiFi.
Yes but thats the thing. Kaz already clarified that it certainly won't be on the 25th because of people most likely being on Christmas vacation.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:51:18 AM
Kyurem

Oh then I probably can't do it.
Old December 16, 2010, 10:37:12 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Well in a game like Brawl, there will always be characters that have disadvantages on stages, because they are all so different. Rainbow Cruise is a counter-pick stage, meaning that it will only show up if the loser of the last round picks it, but keep in mind that it is very difficult for everything to be flawlessly balanced.
well i find it only fair when every character doesn't suffer from stage interruptions
Old December 16, 2010, 11:07:47 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
well i find it only fair when every character doesn't suffer from stage interruptions
Take Final Destination. A slow and big character will still have the disadvantage to someone like Falco, who can stand on one side and just keep shooting lasers. The fact is, imbalances will ALWAYS happen, and we can't very well ban all of the stages.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:59:28 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
and we can't very well ban all of the stages.
Well... we can, but then there'd be no tourney
Old December 18, 2010, 01:32:12 PM
Kyurem

Well, after much deliberation, the date of this tourney has been decided upon. It will take place December 29, 2010 at 12 Noon Pacific Time.

Sign-ups will open tomorrow.