Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 17, 2011, 09:06:46 AM
Keldeo

Default Bills S.968 and H.R.3261

In the duration that I'm monitoring this whole thing, I have learned a few things.

Both Against Copyright, since VR is using copyrighted material, that's not owned by Cat, but even though the disclaimer says he doesn't own Pokémon and Nintendo; this will get overlooked, sites like YouTube and Facebook are in danger too.

As this is all based in the United States of America and YouTube is based in the US, and there is plenty of copyrighted material that's being used without and with permissions, this is going to be voided as how one of the bills are worded, there is no exceptions even with the material.

You yourself would have to own the copyright, and would be able to share it.

Congress is declaring that the American First Amendment (Freedom of Speech) isn't for the internet.

How many popular sites uses copyrights not owned by them?
Hmm. Wikipedia does that.

Seriously this will cripple the world economy even more if these two bills are passed.

The ability to block domain names that are outside of the US, the and the ability to seize servers within the borders of the US

Please look up S.968 and H.R.3261 and read them carefully, this is just only my interpretation of these... "laws".

Last edited by JC; November 17, 2011 at 09:11:09 AM.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:19:38 PM
Volcarona

These laws are bullcrap. People gotta stand up for whats freakin' right.

I'm sorry, but I love this site to damn much to just let this happen.
Can't the people tell the government this is stupid? We live in a democracy.
This means "people rule". We need to act like it and stand for our rights.
I don't care if your American, Canadian or freakin' Neo Arcadian.
DON'T.
LET.
THE MAN.
RULE.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; November 17, 2011 at 07:27:26 PM.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:44:16 PM
Giratina

So after reading both items, I concluded that the House pretty much copied what the Senate said. It surprises me on how people could possibly propose this, let alone support it.

The internet is a BIG way in which companies can promote their services, goods, whatever, and this isn't even through the companies' websites - a lot of fans make websites dedicated to such products (just like Victory Road). In fact, the way that most people hear of music, movies, games, etc., are through fan-made forums and NOT the official website, and the fan-made sites don't have rights, BUT! Are not making money off the fact that they own the site.

In my opinion, if these bills get passed, it will pretty much be like texting and driving - people do it, and they know it's illegal, but it happens so frequently, authorities wont be able to do much about it. And if they do manage to trace every individual IP address, track each individual to their home JUST to get them on ONE count of streaming unauthorized copyrighted material, the government will be wasting money on tracking each person. Also, many people stream copyrighted material and DON'T make money off of it - which is what the bill is trying to prevent (people making money off of other people's work). But like I said, less than 1% make money off of pirated material. And many, many, MANY people pirate and don't even know it. I say about 30% of people in America pirate movies, music, games, pictures, etc., everyday. Oh, by the way, 30% of 300 million is about 90 million people. Now throw those 90 million people in federal prisons because most of them had ONE video with 3 SECONDS of Lil' Wayne's new hit single ON ACCIDENT.

America will lose money, internet freedom will be taken, approval ratings for the government will drop lower than the already low approval rates, and the citizens will more than likely protest, at the least. They might even resort to things such as rioting because the government shut down Youtube, half of Facebook, and Google is restricted.

I swear if these bills pass it's probably time to move to Australia....

Also, Microsoft. Why are you supporting S.968? If it's passed, your sale numbers will drop.

One last note: Take note of S.968 and S.978 introductory dates. What does that tell you? The government is planning on restricting our free-speech of the Internet. It's going to happen just like Egypt if either of these bills are passed, and if both are passed... anarchy.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; November 18, 2011 at 07:45:57 PM.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:44:48 PM
Volcarona

Tell the state governments to nullify the bills and have the courts declare them Unconstitutional. We still have the 10th amendment. It's time to use it.
Old November 21, 2011, 08:17:38 AM
Zoroark

It seems like there's mass hysteria, nobody's actually read the bill, and nobody understands the bill. Relatively little would change. Websites can already be issued DMCA notices to remove content and if they do not comply, it would be removed for them. This bill simply extends the reach where search engines would have the obligation to not list the websites in question and domain names could not point at the offending servers. The websites mentioned already comply with this policy; YouTube removes videos violating copyrights and Wikipedia has a policy to only use content in fair use. Copyright laws would not be affected by this and unless if you stand to make a profit from an existing intellectual property, it would still fall under the guidelines of fair use outlined by the signatories of the Berne Convention.

Seeing as everyone is hyperventilating ( this honestly reminds me of net neutrality where nobody actually knew what it was, but was all for it ), this bill is not going to pass, anyway.

Last edited by hinorashi; November 21, 2011 at 08:20:07 AM.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:07:51 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinorashi View Post
It seems like there's mass hysteria, nobody's actually read the bill, and nobody understands the bill. Relatively little would change. Websites can already be issued DMCA notices to remove content and if they do not comply, it would be removed for them. This bill simply extends the reach where search engines would have the obligation to not list the websites in question and domain names could not point at the offending servers. The websites mentioned already comply with this policy; YouTube removes videos violating copyrights and Wikipedia has a policy to only use content in fair use. Copyright laws would not be affected by this and unless if you stand to make a profit from an existing intellectual property, it would still fall under the guidelines of fair use outlined by the signatories of the Berne Convention.

Seeing as everyone is hyperventilating ( this honestly reminds me of net neutrality where nobody actually knew what it was, but was all for it ), this bill is not going to pass, anyway.
Rule 3. Don't Flame
All posts much be intelligent and respectful. Never flame other users for their opinion, no matter how controversial. As a person, you are never right. As a people, we are always right.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:03:19 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
Rule 3. Don't Flame
All posts much be intelligent and respectful. Never flame other users for their opinion, no matter how controversial. As a person, you are never right. As a people, we are always right.
I find his post both intelligent AND respectful. It provides some of the best insight into the situation, since some people really are blowing these bills out of proportion. Disagreeing with someone or pointing out flaws in someone else's argument is far from flaming, as long as it is done with respect.

Thankfully, using data that we have had since the 80's, we've learned that only around a fifth of the bills introduced to Congress will pass, so there is certainly no guarantee that either of these will pass. Furthermore, Senator Ron Wyden has pledged to filibuster if the bill reaches the Senate floor, further showing that not EVERYone in Congress is a nut.

http://stopcensorship.org/

Last edited by Alakazamaster; November 22, 2011 at 08:09:10 AM.
Old November 22, 2011, 12:28:44 PM
Giratina

Hmm... now that I think about it, the bills aren't trying to limit everything related to copyrighted material. In reality, they are just extending the powers to the limit in which would can be removed.

For example: At the moment, the things that can be removed from the web are copyrighted material that is making money for a person who doesn't own the rights or if someone is distributing copyrighted material for free. If these bills were to be passed, it extends the power so anything that is copyrighted is being streamed or distributed, regardless if someone is making money on in without rights to, can be removed from the web. Videos that have copyrighted material, yet the person who uploaded the video has copyrights will still be available for your viewing.

Most likely, if a video has copyrighted material and the uploader is not making money on it, the video will probably just get removed at that will be that. The only people that will be arrested are the people who are making money from copyrighted material that they do not own the rights to. This would actually make Youtube more like its original intentions - "Broadcast Yourself," anybody remember that?

Even though I figured this out, I would still oppose the two bills because Youtube would be boring without nonprofit videos and the government would probably find a way to exploit this and make large cases out of smaller offenses.

Also, I actually got an email from Capcom (when I asked for the rights to Resident Evil 2) and they said:
"Fan videos are tolerated as long as they are for personal use." And later, the email says I am unable to generate revenue from the videos.
This means Capcom is letting me, and many others, make videos with their work in it AS LONG AS you do not use those videos to make money. The two bills would prevent even the fan videos from being legal to upload, regardless if they are making money or not.
Old November 23, 2011, 05:57:55 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
I find his post both intelligent AND respectful. It provides some of the best insight into the situation, since some people really are blowing these bills out of proportion. Disagreeing with someone or pointing out flaws in someone else's argument is far from flaming, as long as it is done with respect.

Thankfully, using data that we have had since the 80's, we've learned that only around a fifth of the bills introduced to Congress will pass, so there is certainly no guarantee that either of these will pass. Furthermore, Senator Ron Wyden has pledged to filibuster if the bill reaches the Senate floor, further showing that not EVERYone in Congress is a nut.

http://stopcensorship.org/
Sorry, I overreacted. Hino and I just have a bad history, that's all. And I took the post the wrong way. I'm just getting tired of namecalling wherever I go, and it's leaked into places where it's not supposed to go.

Welcome to anxiety >_>

I still stand by my emphasis on reading the Constitution though in case we have another example of the sneaky way the healthcare bill was passed IIRC.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; November 23, 2011 at 05:59:14 AM.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:05:05 AM
Zoroark

Bill S.978 or the Commercial Felony Streaming Act is a bill that is pending introduction to the United States Senate floor. It was proposed by Amy Klobuchar, Chris Coons, and John Cornyn on May 12, 2011.[1] It is an amendment to USC 2319, Title 18, that would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material for the purpose of "commercial advantage or personal financial gain", a felony (under current law, unauthorized streaming is only a misdemeanor). The penalty could include up to five years of prison-time. It defines illegal streaming as streaming ten or more times in a 180 day period. Furthermore, the value of the illegally streamed material would have to be greater than $2,500, or the licensing fees would have to be over $5,000.

Several articles have been published, expressing concern as to whether the bill would affect those who stream or post videos of copyrighted content (videogames, TV shows, music) on public sites such as YouTube. The bill does not directly address this aspect.[2] Although it is unknown whether the law would be enforced as such, there has been an outcry with several negative reactions against the bill on YouTube, and other websites. An example of one of these websites is DemandProgress.org, a site where over 500,000 people have signed on to oppose the bill.[3] [4]

Both Klobuchar and Coons have stated that the bill is not intended to affect the aforementioned aspects, instead it would only target websites or people who profit from illegally streaming copyrighted material.[5][6]
straight from wiki need anything else?
also from davidr64yt youl have to ask from the company to upload games wich you needa lawer which cost money pluse its not meant to affect gamers quick note
more info go on this clip here--->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8
Old November 26, 2011, 01:40:41 PM
Giratina

While I understand what the senators are aiming for, we ALREADY HAVE laws setup to stop people from illegally profiting from streaming copyrighted material. The only problem is, the laws hardly ever get enforced because it is so difficult to track people via internet. Sure, you could track the IP address, but what if the person is using a different computer other than his/her own? Or if he redirected his address so that even though he is in Chicago, his IP address says he is in Colorado.

There are all these "if" questions that come into play, and the officials and authorities have little to no way of tracking each individual law breaker down to the source.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:13:37 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead4life View Post
Bill S.978
nuff said. this is about Bill S.968 not the failed to pass Bill S.978... please read more carefully. I understand what you are trying to do, but I wanted some opinions about what's happening.
Old December 7, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
Cyndaquil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalliumGrant View Post
These laws are bullcrap. People gotta stand up for whats freakin' right.

I'm sorry, but I love this site to damn much to just let this happen.
Can't the people tell the government this is stupid? We live in a democracy.
This means "people rule". We need to act like it and stand for our rights.
I don't care if your American, Canadian or freakin' Neo Arcadian.
DON'T.
LET.
THE MAN.
RULE.
We don't have Democracy. We have a Republic.