Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the Item Clause be placed into effect?
Yes, leave Item Clause up 3 42.86%
No, take down Item Clause 3 42.86%
Allow Item Clause, but modify it (Specify said modifications in a post.) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old April 2, 2010, 01:53:44 PM
Shaymin

Default April's 3rd Gen Honorific Tourney by LiteTheIronMan: Discussion and Rules

In vein of Ditto616's and mine's 2nd Generation Pokemon Only Tournament, I will be hosting a 3rd Generation Pokemon Only Tournament this month. And since he's awesome like that, Ditto will be helping out as well.

Here's the few basic rules I have down.

1. Golden Rule: No illegitimately obtained, modified, hacked, or otherwise meddled with Pokemon allowed in this tournament. Due to a certain event regarding the last tourney, the RNG method of manipulating a Pokemon's stats is allowed.

2. Only Pokemon within the National Pokedex numbers 252-380 are allowed in this tournament, excluding number 360 ( Wynaut) The reason the entire Hoenn National Pokedex list is not included is due to banned Pokemon.

Full list of banned Hoenn Pokemon: Wynaut, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquayza, Jirachi, Deoxys (all formes)

3. This tournament will be conducted in a forced Lv. 100 Doubles style.

4. Latias may not hold Soul Dew. Clamperl may not hold DeepSeaTooth.

5. The Doubles moveset, in which a trainer sends out a Pokemon and a Slaking, and have the two Skill Swap, or having one Pokemon use Gastro Acid on Slaking to eliminate Truant, is banned from use in the tourney.

6. LIMIT ONE: Only one of these Pokemon may be included on a team: Salamence, Metagross, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias (i.e, if you have a Metagross on your team, you are prohibited from using Regirock on your team as well)

7. Some clauses in effect:

Evasion: Moves that boost or lower evasiveness are forbidden.
OHKO: No usage of OHKO moves.
Sleep: No two Pokemon may be asleep, whether on or off the battlefield. Since this tournament is conducted in Doubles this rule is especially emphasized.
Species: Only one of the same Pokemon may be on one team.
Doubles Items: Only two of the same items may be held on two different Pokemon. Items with similar effects can be held by two different Pokemon, and multiples of the same Berry genus may be held by more than two Pokemon.
SelfDestruct/Explosion: If the user KO's both the opponents and his/her final Pokemon, user loses.

Those are the basic rules. I banned the seriously uber Pokemon from the tournament. This thread is so people can discuss clauses you would like to put in effect, other Pokemon you would like to ban, and other things.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 16, 2010 at 05:03:31 PM. Reason: Adding/modifying rules.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:56:10 PM
Giratina

Salamence could go in limit one... He seems just as good as Metagross to me.

Last edited by SK; April 2, 2010 at 01:56:52 PM.
Old April 2, 2010, 02:53:29 PM
Regigigas

My opinion on the basic clauses:
Uber: Well duh. He said this would be in effect.
OHKO: Most likely. Yeah, they have a low accuracy, but they're still OHKO moves.
BlissSkarm: Again, this will probably be in too, due to it being an Uber set and all.
Species: I'm sort of 50/50 on this. There are some that I would object to, and some that I would say, "Sure, put 6 of them on your team. Good luck noob". Example for what I would NOT allow 6 of on a team are Kecleon and Wobbuffet. Pretty much everything else I wouldn't object to.
NFE: If you can get a level 50 NFE with good moves and stats without hacking, be my guest to use them.
Evasion: YES. HELL YES.
Sleep: Yeah, kind of annoying for the opp if he has 1/3 of his team sleeping.
Item: Yurp. But only one of any item per team except Berries.
Selfdestruct: Yes. It's a dick move if you Selfdestruct and kill the opp's last Pokémon, and you have your last as well.
Rotom: Does not exist in this game, so no.
Old April 2, 2010, 03:05:47 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2257 View Post
My opinion on the basic clauses:
Uber: Well duh. He said this would be in effect.

Mmhm.
OHKO: Most likely. Yeah, they have a low accuracy, but they're still OHKO moves.

If people like it, it passes.
BlissSkarm: Again, this will probably be in too, due to it being an Uber set and all.
Hehe, Blissey and Skarmory are second gen.

Species: I'm sort of 50/50 on this. There are some that I would object to, and some that I would say, "Sure, put 6 of them on your team. Good luck noob". Example for what I would NOT allow 6 of on a team are Kecleon and Wobbuffet. Pretty much everything else I wouldn't object to.

Well, Species Clause is a given. I guess that'll go.
NFE: If you can get a level 50 NFE with good moves and stats without hacking, be my guest to use them.
Evasion: YES. HELL YES.

You are my new best friend.
Sleep: Yeah, kind of annoying for the opp if he has 1/3 of his team sleeping.

You are definitely my new best friend.
Item: Yurp. But only one of any item per team except Berries.

So, only one item, but as many of the same Berry as you like? If people like this idea, it goes.
Selfdestruct: Yes. It's a dick move if you Selfdestruct and kill the opp's last Pokémon, and you have your last as well.
Okay then, SD/Explosion Clause is a go.
Rotom: Does not exist in this game, so no.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:26:24 PM
Keldeo

Huuuh? Latios is uber btw even without soul dew. Its quick, has awesome moves (DRACO METEOR AHHH) special bulky, is able to buff up calm minds, and restore health with "restore".

Basically the same as latias only with a stronger special attack and less sp.def. I'll let it be up to you if hes in or not, but he is uber for a reason.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:45:33 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Huuuh? Latios is uber btw even without soul dew. Its quick, has awesome moves (DRACO METEOR AHHH) special bulky, is able to buff up calm minds, and restore health with "restore".

Basically the same as latias only with a stronger special attack and less sp.def. I'll let it be up to you if hes in or not, but he is uber for a reason.
Hmmm... I'm ending the current poll this Sunday. Next poll will be regarding Lati@s.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:47:13 PM
Keldeo

Lati@s? Like...both of em? owo
oooh, I shall vote yes then~! The lati@s's are fun to use~! >w<
Old April 2, 2010, 04:59:16 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Lati@s? Like...both of em? owo
oooh, I shall vote yes then~! The lati@s's are fun to use~! >w<
Well, I'll have multiple poll options regarding the Lati@s pair up, with specifics to each.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 2, 2010 at 04:59:41 PM.
Old April 2, 2010, 06:14:34 PM
Giratina

Why do you use an @ for the a?
Old April 2, 2010, 06:40:03 PM
Administrator

Because @ looks like a combination of "o" and "a" so when you have Lati@s it refers to both Latios and Latias.
Old April 3, 2010, 07:46:07 AM
Regigigas

Oooh! I love gen 3 pokemon! I'm in. We might want to consider banning the Lati@s, though.
Old April 3, 2010, 07:58:51 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post

3. This tournament will be conducted in a forced Lv. 50 Doubles style.
Why double, if I may ask?

5. LIMIT ONE: Only one of these Pokemon may be included on a team: Metagross, Regirock, Registeel, Regice, Latias, Latios, Salamence (i.e, if you have a Metagross on your team, you are prohibited from using Regirock on your team as well)
Yes

6. Some clauses in effect:

Evasion: Moves that boost or lower evasiveness and/or accuracy are forbidden.
Yes

OHKO: No usage of OHKO moves.
Yes

Sleep: No two Pokemon may be asleep, whether on or off the battlefield.
Yes

Items: No two of the same items may be held on a Pokemon. Items with similar effects can be held by two different Pokemon, and multiples of the same Berry genus may be held by more than two Pokemon.
Some items, like Leftovers and Life Orb, are incredibly common on many Pokémon. Therefore, I say NO for this.

SelfDestruct/Explosion: If the user KO's both the opponents and his/her final Pokemon, user loses.
Yes
Comments in black, bold and underline.

Last edited by Shadow; April 3, 2010 at 07:59:44 AM.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:20:02 AM

I can elaborate on why it's in double battle style. The double battle was introduced in third gen, and therefore is honored in this tournament.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:20:56 AM
Giratina

Oh, that's a good reason.
I guess I'll have to start planning out my team soon.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:27:06 AM
Charizard

I don't mind if Salamence and Lati@s are banned or not. In a double battle, they aren't quite as potent as they would be in a single battle.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:23:19 AM
Kyurem

Oh boy, another tourney to EV train for! I think that Latios should be banned, much like Sunny said, because he is still considered Ubers, unlike Latias. Salamence should also be considered Limit-One as well, since he still still a Pseudo-Legendary just like Metagross. Plus, he has Intimidate, which is vicious in double battles. This is just my opinion, but still, a team of Latios and Salamence could be pretty powerful.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:34:59 AM
Shaymin

Shadow, I took your reasoning into account and modified the Item Clause here so that you can use two similar items. Example: Leftovers and Shell Bell. They both heal your Pokemon, just under different circumstances. I made it a little bit more lenient so that things like that will fly.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:56:07 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
I think that Latios should be banned, much like Sunny said, because he is still considered Ubers, unlike Latias.
Wait... what? Latios is in the Uber tier?!
*Goes to check Smogon*
Oh yes, you are right. In this case, it is banned already, since it is considered in the Uber clause.

EDIT:
Oddly, the Uber clause is not mentioned among the clauses in Lite's post. I think this is because he already banned the last 5 Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex, which are the Uber ones.
Anyways, in conclusion, those are the Pokémon that should be banned:

-Latios
-Kyogre
-Groudon
-Rayquaza
-Jirachi (It is not in the Uber tier, but it still pretty powerful compared to the rest of the Hoenn Pokémon)
-Deoxys

Last edited by Shadow; April 3, 2010 at 11:01:04 AM.
Old April 3, 2010, 11:31:07 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Wait... what? Latios is in the Uber tier?!
*Goes to check Smogon*
Oh yes, you are right. In this case, it is banned already, since it is considered in the Uber clause.

EDIT:
Oddly, the Uber clause is not mentioned among the clauses in Lite's post. I think this is because he already banned the last 5 Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex, which are the Uber ones.
Anyways, in conclusion, those are the Pokémon that should be banned:

-Latios
-Kyogre
-Groudon
-Rayquaza
-Jirachi (It is not in the Uber tier, but it still pretty powerful compared to the rest of the Hoenn Pokémon)
-Deoxys
Hm. It seems to be a general consensus that Latios is Uber and should be banned, and that Salamence should be placed in Limit One. I thought I would have to keep the poll open for another day, but there seems to be no point.

So then. Salamence will be added to the limit one column, and Latios in the ban list.

EDIT: I changed the rules around. Latios is now included in the ban list. Salamence is now in Limit One. Latias remains in Limit One, but a Latias with Soul Dew is illegal.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 3, 2010 at 11:45:07 AM.
Old April 3, 2010, 03:49:34 PM
Regigigas

I have a quick rule suggestion. Each person should be limited to one starter, but that doesn't overlap with the other limits.
Old April 3, 2010, 03:59:11 PM
Giratina

^ Yes, we don't want anyone coming in with 6 Mudkips. :3
Old April 3, 2010, 04:49:43 PM
Shaymin

The starters are OU, sure, but they're not THAT broken.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:00:27 PM
Keldeo

Actually, only swampys OU~!
Blaziken and sceptile are UU~!
Blaziken ain't got enough speed for OU sweeping (and is slightly less versatile then lucario), and sceptile doesn't have enough power.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:05:28 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Actually, only swampys OU~!
Blaziken and sceptile are UU~!
Blaziken ain't got enough speed for OU sweeping (and is slightly less versatile then lucario), and sceptile doesn't have enough power.
Somehow, I get the feeling that the real reason Swampart's OU isn't because of his stats...

Either way, the starters don't really need to go into the Limit One list.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:11:51 PM
Keldeo

Its because people liek mudkipz. :V
But naw, his typing is awesome for a defensive poke, and being able to take hits, set up stealth rock and roar is pretty good~!

He also has the highest base stats of all the starters~!
And hes awesome. >w<
Old April 3, 2010, 07:32:51 PM
Kyurem

I'm just going to go out and say it. I still don't support the Item Clause, much like Shadow.

I never really understood why this thing was put into place, because it can really ruin lots of strategies, say having more than one Pokemon that can stay in with Leftovers. I think that this should be put up to a vote, because during the last tourney, it was hard to distribute good items, especially for Pokemon that filled similar roles on a team.

This is just my opinion though.
Old April 3, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
I'm just going to go out and say it. I still don't support the Item Clause, much like Shadow.

I never really understood why this thing was put into place, because it can really ruin lots of strategies, say having more than one Pokemon that can stay in with Leftovers. I think that this should be put up to a vote, because during the last tourney, it was hard to distribute good items, especially for Pokemon that filled similar roles on a team.

This is just my opinion though.
Okay then. I don't have a poll up, and since you and Shadow both object, I'll make a poll regarding the Item Clause.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:26:20 PM
Shaymin

Sorry for the double post, but I have to bump this thread. Could an admin please try to fix the poll here? If you can't then I'll have to make a seperate thread and that'd be a bit confusing.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:31:26 PM
Volcarona

Meh, I think more than one Leftovers should be allowed at the least. Other than that, everything looks fine to me.
Old April 5, 2010, 04:59:48 AM
Giratina

Eh... I'm not a fan of the 3rd Gen. So I don't have any Pokémon that I can use.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:36:16 AM
Giratina

Okay, since the poll is not properly working, I'll add in my opinion: the item clause should be removed.
Old April 5, 2010, 11:05:31 AM
Charizard

I don't really mind Item Clause, since I can easily work around it. But I never liked the clause in the first place.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:11:23 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Okay, since the poll is not properly working, I'll add in my opinion: the item clause should be removed.
Same. In case my vote is never counted, I also say that the item clause should be destroyed.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; April 5, 2010 at 12:11:32 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:13:15 PM
Shaymin

You know what? I'm just going to make a new topic with the poll. If an admin comes by, I ask that you fix the poll so that you can vote multiple times. For now though, vote in the new topic. All other discussion about rules goes here.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:15:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You know what? I'm just going to make a new topic with the poll. If an admin comes by, I ask that you fix the poll so that you can vote multiple times. For now though, vote in the new topic. All other discussion about rules goes here.
Yeah, I can't seem to edit it so start a new one.
Old April 6, 2010, 03:27:30 PM
Shaymin

Update: The new Item Clause rule to be established in this tourney is the Doubles Item Clause. Only two of the same item may be equipped to two different Pokemon on one team.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:47:30 PM
Shaymin

Update: After some delegation with Cat and Ditto, we've decided that two new rules will be added:

1. Slaking will be placed in Limit One.

2. The doubles technique involving having a Pokemon use Skill Swap on a Slaking has been banned.

This was actually really tough. We had talked about it with a few people and they passed it as ridiculous, and I must admit it is a little, but at the same time we can't leave anything at an unfair advantage.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:51:40 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Update: After some delegation with Cat and Ditto, we've decided that two new rules will be added:

1. Slaking will be placed in Limit One.

WOWOWOWOW WAIT. The only reason he should be put in limited one is with skill swap and thats banned. Without out it he is utterly terrible. A simple switch into something that resist its attack stops him. Hes also made completely useless if someone has protect or detect which there will be ALOT of in a double battle.

Hes NU for a reason. :V Wasting every other turn ain't that fun.

Last edited by Sunny; April 11, 2010 at 06:52:46 PM.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:58:03 PM
Shaymin

Yeah, you're right.

This is one of the weirdest things I've ever come across. Alright, I'll remove Slaking from Limit One. The moveset is still banned, because people can still get creative with it and find ways to make it work.

EDIT: Well, I found a way for them to make it work... Instead of Skill Swapping, they can use Gastro Acid to cancel Truant out ALTOGETHER, so instead of having a Truant Pokemon still on the team, both Pokemon remain relatively the same except for the now-active Slaking.

I'm adding Gastro Acid to this rule. It makes much more sense to ban this as opposed to Skill Swap.

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; April 11, 2010 at 07:10:13 PM.
Old April 11, 2010, 07:12:55 PM
Rayquaza

I dought that many people will be using Swalot or Cradily though.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:01:32 PM
Shaymin

I had totally forgotten about the DeepSea items. Following a discussion in the chatroom, I have decided to ban Clamperl from holding the DeepSeaTooth.

...not that I expect someone to use NFEs, but still.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:06:04 PM
Keldeo

In trick room clamperl outspeeds alot.
With deepseatooth and a max of 271 sp attack stat that comes to a quick sweeper with a special attack stat of 542 with deepseatooth. It can be devastating.
Old April 14, 2010, 08:38:38 AM
Rayquaza

Sorry but I'm gonna have to drop out of this tournament, I don't have many good Gen III pokemon for Wi-Fi and I hate most of them anyways so that's the end for me.