Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 29, 2014, 07:00:56 PM
Kyurem

Default Yugioh's Anime

*If you are reading this thread, please expect spoilers about the Yugioh's serieses. So if you don't want spoiled, don't read this thread.*

Yugioh may not be as popular as it used to be, but I still think Yugioh is cool.

The original series was the best in my opinion. I personality enjoyed the "Waking the Dragon" season of the anime the most. This season introduced Dartz and The Seal of Orichalcos. The villains in this season had interesting backstories, with the expection of Valon's backstory. It also introduced the three Legendary Dragons who ended up being Knights. I also find it interesting that the Pharaoh lost to Rafael by giving into his darkness. This season had the most memorial moments.

I actually liked Yugioh GX. The first season was ok with the Shadow Riders and the rip-offs of the Egyptian God's cards. The Society of Light's arc was pretty good. I like how they used light to serve as an evil purpose in this season, instead of darkness. I did not watch too much of the third season, but I like how Jaden became evil. I find the whole Yubel thing weird.

I did not watch too much of Yugioh 5D's, but they had a pretty good plot development from the beginning. From the very first episode of the series, you can tell that Jack Atlas is going to be a strong rival for Yusei to overcome. Unlike the other protagonists, Yusei was a criminal and he had to fight hard for everything he had. All the main characters were also connected with the Crimson Dragon and had a signer's mark. I personality feel card games on motorcycles was a fairly interesting idea, but I feel it was portrayed more as a gimmick then an actual way to duel.

I barely watched Yugioh Zexal, but I was not impress at all. Yuma is the worst protagonist in my opinion, and he does not seem to have any actual skill. From the episode I watched, Astral just tells Yuma everything to do and he doesn't any dueling on his own. This series did introduce the Xyz monsters which are pretty good Yugioh's cards, but I am not a fan of this series' anime.

Yugioh ARC-V is not in America yet, but it doesn't look promising.

Last edited by Aquablast; December 29, 2014 at 07:03:04 PM.
Old December 29, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablast View Post
*If you are reading this thread, please expect spoilers about the Yugioh's serieses. So if you don't want spoiled, don't read this thread.*

Yugioh may not be as popular as it used to be, but I still think Yugioh is cool.

The original series was the best in my opinion. I personality enjoyed the "Waking the Dragon" season of the anime the most. This season introduced Dartz and The Seal of Orichalcos. The villains in this season had interesting backstories, with the expection of Valon's backstory. It also introduced the three Legendary Dragons who ended up being Knights. I also find it interesting that the Pharaoh lost to Rafael by giving into his darkness. This season had the most memorial moments.

I actually liked Yugioh GX. The first season was ok with the Shadow Riders and the rip-offs of the Egyptian God's cards. The Society of Light's arc was pretty good. I like how they used light to serve as an evil purpose in this season, instead of darkness. I did not watch too much of the third season, but I like how Jaden became evil. I find the whole Yubel thing weird.

I did not watch too much of Yugioh 5D's, but they had a pretty good plot development from the beginning. From the very first episode of the series, you can tell that Jack Atlas is going to be a strong rival for Yusei to overcome. Unlike the other protagonists, Yusei was a criminal and he had to fight hard for everything he had. All the main characters were also connected with the Crimson Dragon and had a signer's mark. I personality feel card games on motorcycles was a fairly interesting idea, but I feel it was portrayed more as a gimmick then an actual way to duel.

I barely watched Yugioh Zexal, but I was not impress at all. Yuma is the worst protagonist in my opinion, and he does not seem to have any actual skill. From the episode I watched, Astral just tells Yuma everything to do and he doesn't any dueling on his own. This series did introduce the Xyz monsters which are pretty good Yugioh's cards, but I am not a fan of this series' anime.

Yugioh ARC-V is not in America yet, but it doesn't look promising.
Okay, I know ZEXAL and ARC-V...and basically anything beyond 5D's for that matter...seem to get a lot of discrimination from the fans, but hear me out.

ZEXAL is indeed probably the weakest of the series simply because its plot was very roundabout and, for the most part, Yuma was a weaker protagonist. At least, in the beginning. Yuma's character arc is subtle, but it's there. As the series progresses he slowly but surely becomes more independent, and I think they were trying to go for an emulation of what happened between Yugi and the Pharaoh, but it came out a little strange because while Yugi knew what he was doing and the Pharaoh was just, well, a stronger duelist than he was, Yuma was clueless to begin with and needed Astral to hold his hand through the beginning of the series. But towards the second half, Yuma grows more independent of Astral; while Astral still points him certain directions, Yuma carries out most of the dueling on his own, which I think was the point that is overshadowed. I think the main issue was that it took so long for Yuma to get to that point that by the time he matured, most viewers had become disinterested in the series.

ARC-V, or what I have seen of it, looks to have the same character development issues, but the plot is less circuitous, going more to-the-point and lacks the filler that plagued GX and ZEXAL. Furthermore, ARC-V bypasses the whole limitation that only the newest monster type would be showcased (much as Fusion is to GX as Synchro is to 5D's and as Xyz is to ZEXAL), showing all of them. In fact, so far, they have already gone to showcase Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, the new Pendulums, and Rituals as well, so the variety in dueling styles is particularly alluring to those who play the game, like myself. While mostly Pendulums and Fusions seem to be showcased right now, there are very important characters who employ Synchro and Xyz Monsters too, which allows for a greater variety. The plot, though nebulous right now, is still very young, so I'm particularly interested to see where things will taken, with throwbacks to 5D's and ZEXAL already being made in duels.

Honestly, I think each of the Yugioh series has its merits. The original and GX I like for their intricate and mature plot and their wild sense of humor, 5D's had my favorite of the plots, though it was based on a very strange dueling concept (CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLESSSSS), and ARC-V has the greatest variety of dueling. ZEXAL unfortunately falls short on most ends but it is far from a bad show. I think they just gave a really bad first impression, and the second half is far superior to the first half.
Old December 29, 2014, 11:55:36 PM
Kyurem

Im into the Zexel part were Yuma duels Don thousand and Vecter and the rest of those bad guys (Whatever how u spell them) But them XYZ's tho? There to OP! lol

But i love all the series no matter how dumb some characters are. Me and cousion got into GX pretty good as we both tryed getting the Elemental Heros and Chazz's cards. (Plus we both were in school at the same time, so we were kinda related to it by school wise)
Old December 30, 2014, 07:23:47 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
Okay, I know ZEXAL and ARC-V...and basically anything beyond 5D's for that matter...seem to get a lot of discrimination from the fans, but hear me out.

ZEXAL is indeed probably the weakest of the series simply because its plot was very roundabout and, for the most part, Yuma was a weaker protagonist. At least, in the beginning. Yuma's character arc is subtle, but it's there. As the series progresses he slowly but surely becomes more independent, and I think they were trying to go for an emulation of what happened between Yugi and the Pharaoh, but it came out a little strange because while Yugi knew what he was doing and the Pharaoh was just, well, a stronger duelist than he was, Yuma was clueless to begin with and needed Astral to hold his hand through the beginning of the series. But towards the second half, Yuma grows more independent of Astral; while Astral still points him certain directions, Yuma carries out most of the dueling on his own, which I think was the point that is overshadowed. I think the main issue was that it took so long for Yuma to get to that point that by the time he matured, most viewers had become disinterested in the series.

ARC-V, or what I have seen of it, looks to have the same character development issues, but the plot is less circuitous, going more to-the-point and lacks the filler that plagued GX and ZEXAL. Furthermore, ARC-V bypasses the whole limitation that only the newest monster type would be showcased (much as Fusion is to GX as Synchro is to 5D's and as Xyz is to ZEXAL), showing all of them. In fact, so far, they have already gone to showcase Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, the new Pendulums, and Rituals as well, so the variety in dueling styles is particularly alluring to those who play the game, like myself. While mostly Pendulums and Fusions seem to be showcased right now, there are very important characters who employ Synchro and Xyz Monsters too, which allows for a greater variety. The plot, though nebulous right now, is still very young, so I'm particularly interested to see where things will taken, with throwbacks to 5D's and ZEXAL already being made in duels.

Honestly, I think each of the Yugioh series has its merits. The original and GX I like for their intricate and mature plot and their wild sense of humor, 5D's had my favorite of the plots, though it was based on a very strange dueling concept (CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLESSSSS), and ARC-V has the greatest variety of dueling. ZEXAL unfortunately falls short on most ends but it is far from a bad show. I think they just gave a really bad first impression, and the second half is far superior to the first half.
I only watched a few episodes of Season 1 of Zexal. I may decide to watch the whole series one day, and see if I feel the same way about it. However, that will probably be a long time since I never finished GX and 5D.

From what you said about ARC-V, it sounds cool. I am probably going to watch it when it airs in the US.