Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 16, 2010, 12:36:15 PM
Zoroark

Default Stats

Telling someone that the Pokemon franchise is still strong and popular doesn't mean much when you have no numbers, so here are some: Please add to this, but don't forget to include a source.

Wikipedia
Pokemon is the number two selling video game franchise of all time with 193 million copies sold. In contrasts, the hit game series Halo is ranked at 34, with 30 million copies.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:14:19 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoysel View Post
Telling someone that the Pokemon franchise is still strong and popular doesn't mean much when you have no numbers, so here are some: Please add to this, but don't forget to include a source.

Wikipedia
Pokemon is the number two selling video game franchise of all time with 193 million copies sold. In contrasts, the hit game series Halo is ranked at 34, with 30 million copies.
While the Pokemon franchise does indeed boast #2 on the most sold list, sheer numbers doesn't prove anything. Some of my favorite bands, for instance, are vastly outnumbered in terms of CD sales to such characters as Justin Bieber. Nothing against him, but it just shows that numbers can't always defend something that you really like.

Another piece of information to point out, in regard to your Halo example, is the fact that there have only been 3 Halos (not counting the Halo Reach Beta on Live), and there have been more Pokemon games than I know. Red, Blue, Yellow, Snap, Stadium, Stadium 2, Pinball, Gold, Silver, Cystal, Hey you Pikachu, Trading Card Game, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, the various Mystery Dungeons, HeartGold, SoulSilver... I am sure that I missed a good number.

So not that your point is invalid, it just does not prove as much. (sorry if that sounded a bit cruel. D: )

Last edited by Ditto616; May 23, 2010 at 12:08:09 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:27:31 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
While the Pokemon franchise does indeed boast #2 on the most sold list, sheer numbers doesn't prove anything. Some of my favorite bands, for instance, are vastly outnumbered in terms of CD sales to such characters as Justin Bieber. Nothing against him, but it just shows that numbers can't always defend something that you really like.

Another piece of information to point out, in regard to your Halo example, is the fact that there have only been 3 Halos (not counting the Halo Reach Bea on Live), and there have been more Pokemon games than I know. Red, Blue, Yellow, Snap, Stadium, Stadium 2, Pinball, Gold, Silver, Cystal, Hey you Pikachu, Trading Card Game, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, the various Mystery Dungeons, HeartGold, SoulSilver... I am sure that I missed a good number.

So not that your point is invalid, it just does not prove as much. (sorry if that sounded a bit cruel. D: )

well said........and might I add that yes, numbers don't mean anything; it's how much Pokemon still means to you, and to all of us.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:45:59 AM
Zoroark

This isn't meant to impress us, its meant to get other people to shut up when they start insulting Pokemon, hence the reason this is in AAP.

One of the things I Hear people say is that "Pokemon isn't popular anymore." These numbers are to rebut that. I also hear "Pokemon is for little kids" and then you can go off into details of how it's not just for young kids. The other thing I will hear people say is "Pokemon is gay," Which I am not sure how to rebut yet, but I'm working on it.

Who's side are you on anyways?
Old May 18, 2010, 08:16:38 AM
Giratina

Quote:
The other thing I will hear people say is "Pokemon is gay," Which I am not sure how to rebut yet, but I'm working on it.
Hurry up.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:26:37 PM
Giratina

You know, I was actually expecting Final Fantasy to be Number 1... or at least top 5.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:02:41 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Another piece of information to point out, in regard to your Halo example, is the fact that there have only been 3 Halos (not counting the Halo Reach Beta on Live)
What about ODST? Although that game didn't get much sales anyways. Not that I'm defending it, mind you

And for the "Pokemon is gay" or "Pokemon isn't popular anymore", well....I can't figure out the gay part yet. If you asked how it was gay, they would reply, "It's for little kids." Lies. A large majority of those players around the red/blue era were teenagers. Teenagers. To them, anyone that plays Pokemon is gay. Not entirely true. Pokemon has nothing to do with homosexuality at all. They are completely unrelated subjects. In a personal experience, I am quite straight for the most part.

Last edited by DashArmy; May 23, 2010 at 12:04:41 PM. Reason: Fixing quote
Old May 23, 2010, 12:13:26 PM
Regigigas

Homosexuality=\=Pokemon

Most people who plays Pokemon are teenagers or higher aged.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:48:41 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingTyranitar View Post
Most people who plays Pokemon are teenagers or higher aged.
And the little kids that DO play Pokemon...
1. Are completely clueless on what to do.
2. Can't read which leads to #1
3. Think they are awesome because they have been around since Gen. 4

The people who say Pokemon is for gays are just jealous!

Last edited by Quadcentruo; May 24, 2010 at 12:49:14 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:01:18 PM
Zoroark

I agree with tyranitar, pokemon =\= homosexuality.

Tell them "I fail to see how pokemon and homosexuality are related in the context in which you are using them."

If you can't change their mind, make yourself sound smarter than them.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:07:09 PM
Giratina

Quote:
If you can't change their mind, make yourself sound smarter than them.
Which, 3/4th of the time, you can't change their mind but you have already made yourself sound smarter than they are by saying the numbers... and using the word "homosexuality".
Old June 10, 2010, 11:39:37 AM
Servine

i think the reason people think pokemon is for kids or "gay" is because of the number of people who confess they like pokemon compared to people who confess to liking games like halo. I think of pokemon as a kind of dirty secret for highschoolers.
Old June 26, 2010, 02:57:43 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandflapjack View Post
i think the reason people think pokemon is for kids or "gay" is because of the number of people who confess they like pokemon compared to people who confess to liking games like halo. I think of pokemon as a kind of dirty secret for highschoolers.
The next time someone says Pokemon is gay ask them how they know, but before they have the chance to answer ask them if they are having a gay relationship with pokemon? Be ready to run/ fight after insulting them.
Old July 20, 2010, 03:22:20 PM
Giratina

Quote:
but before they have the chance to answer ask them if they are having a gay relationship with pokemon? Be ready to run/ fight after insulting them.
Or struggle to contain a laugh as the person you insulted fails to come up with a cleaver come back because they are too stupid to realize that a large majority of Pokemon players are fairly intelligent, while most Pokemon haters are fairly stupid, which signals the fact that a large majority of Pokemon player are NOT little kids.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; July 20, 2010 at 03:23:27 PM.
Old July 29, 2010, 03:46:03 AM
Charizard

man Pokemon has sold alot of copies O_O
Old August 23, 2010, 05:12:49 PM
Floatzel

Default pokemon=\=gay

i have the solution to the "Pokémon is gay" comments. Breeding consists of a male and female Pokémon. M+F = straight
Old August 24, 2010, 04:21:35 AM
Joltik

To add to the stats against "Pokémon isn't popular", Nintendo has issued a press release saying that Pokémon Black and White have already exceeded 1 million pre-orders in Japan, and the game doesn't even come out until September 18, 2010.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:57:36 AM
Giratina

Something I couldn't believe: While I was at band camp, almost everyone there was a fan of Pokemon. A kid heard some of us talking about Pokemon and said (and I quote): "Pokemon? I thought Pokemon was dead."

How could Pokemon be dead if the 5th gen is coming out, along with another Pokemon ranger game and Pokepark Wii? On top of that, Pokemon has sold over 200 million copies.
Old August 27, 2010, 10:31:31 AM
Landorus

UNFORTUNATELY, Wikipedia is a bad source to show someone when you are trying to prove something. No-one listens to people on Wikipedia.