Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

View Poll Results: Are legit and legal pokemon that have been cloned considered legal?
Yes, they are. 6 60.00%
No, they're not. 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old August 29, 2012, 04:34:24 PM
Giratina

Default Pokemon Clones; Legit?

What are your opinions on cloned pokemon? Do you count them as legit? I don't necessarily mean legitely obtained, but just legal. Post your thoughts and be sure to put an answer in the poll.
Old August 29, 2012, 06:17:58 PM
Haxorus

Whenever I think of cloned Pokémon, for some reason I think of Mewtwo Strikes Back. That's the movie where Mewtwo captured an entire plethora of Pokémon and tried to make clones of all of them. Why? Because he had no idea who he was, why he exists, or why the other scientists viewed him as non-sentient. The scientists studying him were experimenting to see if they could clone a Pokémon, and lived long enough to see this cloning come to vision. It was their own creation that sent them and their laboratory to a higher plane of existence.

After an encounter with Giovanni and doing some dirty work for Team Rocket, he vowed to destroy the planet with a series of apocalyptic storms, while also trying to clone as many Pokémon as he could (said clones would remain safe on New Island during said storms).

One kid, envious to become the very best, along with a group of other trainers, managed to make his way to New Island, and somehow convinced Mewtwo that cloned Mons and the real ones are equal. Inspired by his words, Mewtwo takes the cloned Pokémon so they can line a peaceful life elsewhere. It would appear that Mewtwo has learned his lesson...

There's one question that the movie never answered; what if Mewtwo actually didn't take back all the cloned Pokémon? I could answer that...maybe sometime in 2000, the Professors of each region all came together and built some kind of machine that can help you figure out if your Pokémon is legitimate or not.

I think training cloned Pokémon is not a good idea. Unlike real Pokémon, they all serve to one being. This is opposed to the millions of beings, and even their own self that the real Mons serve under. So if you train a cloned Pokémon...even if you have all right Gym badges, expect them to ignore you constantly. They are also much stronger than real Pokémon, as the differences in strength between Mew and Mewtwo suggests. I would like to check if cloned Pokémon are still out there, and maybe future games might invoke this concept. I suggest a reward be placed for a cloned Pokémon that is captured and turned in.

My perception and views of cloned Pokémon deals with the anime's perspective of them. I never brought up any of the games or any cheating devices because I'm not familiar with them in that sense.

Last edited by GTP_NickSkyline; August 30, 2012 at 10:17:13 AM.
Old August 29, 2012, 06:22:59 PM
Zoroark

Well it depends on WHICH clone you look at.
For example, look at Mewtwo. He was bent on world domination since he broke out of Giovanni's lab. Now look at ditto. We've all heard this theroy, failed attempt at cloning mew. They don't care what happens. They are just as, lets say ignorant, to the outside world as much as other pokemon. It all depends on perspective.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:01:20 PM
Giratina

I have to specify my opinion.
I think of 2 different things when I think of clones. An actual clone and a replication.
A clone I believe to be legal. A clone is using a glitch (PC Glitch of GSC, Global Trading Station glitch of D/P) or a clone using a cheat device just takes your Pokémon and makes an exact duplicate. It's like "Well, what if I make a mistake while training, or want to train something 2 different ways, but I only have one of it!" Competitive Breeding or whatever you call it is supposed to be like randomized cloning, since you can't really control ALL the IVs. But through cloning, you can keep the original, and have a copy for testing, usage, or whatever.
Replicating is different. Replicating is the use of a Pokémon Hack program (Pokésav, Pokégen) to make a Pokémon and use a custom GTS server to upload and download your PKMN files. You can copy down stats, IVs, moves, ID numbers, hidden values, and WHATEVER you want to a T, I still wouldn't consider it legal. It's not organic, like finding something in the wild, or getting it as a gift and making a copy. It's going to the factory to make a fake and pass it off as real.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:20:42 PM

I consider a cloned Pokemon on its own to be legit, while a team of several of a Pokemon's clones is not a legit team.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; August 29, 2012 at 07:21:40 PM.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:46:12 PM
Administrator

As with PRS, I consider clones legitimate. Programmatically, all the Action Replay does when you enable a clone code is disable the "deletion" command when you pick up a Pokémon. Normally, it is copied to the temporary "hand" location and deleted from the old location. However, when you use a code, it tells the game to skip the deletion command, thereby leaving a copy in the original location as well as in the hand.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:24:12 PM
Kyurem

I think of it as a bit of something that should be familiar to anyone acquainted with computers. Think of it as copying a file, to the game: essentially identical information. If the oriunal is legal, same thing goes for the copies. Even then, though, I only clone when I am trading things.

Last edited by Twiggy; August 29, 2012 at 09:24:34 PM.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:37:52 AM
Rayquaza

Strictly speaking, they are legit.

Cloning is a glitch in the games, thus you are utilising an inner glitch, not using an external device (Action Replay) to crack codes. This is proven if you use a cloned team and battle with it in the WiFi Club and save a battle video. The video will be saved normally and the system will not detect any error.

Any migrated Pokémon from Emerald you find across the GTS is most probably cloned. When we played Emerald, cloning was the coolest thing to do.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:56:44 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
Cloning is a glitch in the games, thus you are utilising an inner glitch, not using an external device (Action Replay) to crack codes.
Note that it's also possible to clone with an external device, and it's safer in that way - all of it is done within the game's memory without touching the save file until you decide to save it. Again, the results are exactly the same. See Cat's reply for how it works - it essentially clones by, well, not deleting the original data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Normally, it is copied to the temporary "hand" location and deleted from the old location. However, when you use a code, it tells the game to skip the deletion command, thereby leaving a copy in the original location as well as in the hand.
When you glitch the game by not saving the game completely, it usually means that the game got to save in a way that it's a partial save, which usually results in a corrupt file, but due to the timing, makes it valid. This does run the risk of corrupting the current save file, though this can be rather easily mitigated by saving once without cloning first, thanks to backup saves on Gen III and newer.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:35:48 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Note that it's also possible to clone with an external device, and it's safer in that way - all of it is done within the game's memory without touching the save file until you decide to save it. Again, the results are exactly the same. See Cat's reply for how it works - it essentially clones by, well, not deleting the original data.
I meant that cloning is different from creating a Pokémon using an external device.