Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

Old October 11, 2010, 06:39:02 AM
Rayquaza

It is now confirmed that Dream World abilities are breed-able. That just means that we can get all those nice abilities with the IVs and natures we want!
Old October 11, 2010, 07:00:13 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
So seaking only has one weakness, and gets a special attack boost from electricity?
My god...is seaking actually...USEFUL NOW?!
I can't except such a thing. D:
I don't really think it will be THAT useful now, even after the addition of Lightningrod (the special attack boost is useless, since Seaking's attack is way higher). It has average stats all around, and its only usable moves are Agility, Aqua Ring, Aqua Tail, Megahorn, Poison Jab, Rain Dance, Substitute and Waterfall (italicized moves are the only ones which are found on sets in Smogon). Compared to many other Water-type Pokémon which are commonly used, this moveset is not really varied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
It is now confirmed that Dream World abilities are breed-able. That just means that we can get all those nice abilities with the IVs and natures we want!
That's really good news, but it's going to be a bit harder trying to catch a female Pokémon in the Dream World, then breeding continuously until you get the right nature and ability. However, that will only make it more rewarding.

Last edited by Shadow; October 12, 2010 at 10:07:46 AM.
Old October 11, 2010, 12:51:54 PM
Kyurem

Meh, at least Goldeen is going to have a better time in Little Cup with Lightningrod giving it a hardy immunity. It makes Elekid a less fantastic threat to Rain Dance teams, so Goldeen may see a little more usage than Omanyte, even.
Old October 13, 2010, 04:59:49 PM
Kyurem

Double post just to tell you that the latest version of Pokemon (DISALLOWED) has GENERATION FIVE POKEMON. I'm making a team right now, so expect lots of updates that are more than speculation!
Old October 14, 2010, 07:53:08 AM
Rayquaza

I would that Kaz.
Please tell us a lot about what you find.

Regarding Seaking's new ability; Lightningrod adds to its special attack, while Seaking has a better attack stat, and better physical moves. Even if it gets an immunity to electric moves, the increase to its special attack isn't that great or useful.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:31:31 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Double post just to tell you that the latest version of Pokemon (DISALLOWED) has GENERATION FIVE POKEMON. I'm making a team right now, so expect lots of updates that are more than speculation!
I reckon you weren't around when Gen V testing was going on? It was held on Pokémon (DISALLOWED), and you could try the new metagame with all the 649 Pokémon. That is how I posted a lot of information in my previous post(s).
Anyways, now that Gen V has been fully established, I think the information provided will definitely be more reliable. *Rushes to start planning a new team*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I would that Kaz.
Please tell us a lot about what you find.
Asking Kaz to post information when I used to tell you about the metagame changes, and you said you didn't care so much about it? I find that very strange.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I promised a write-up on Erufuun, since it was, to my surprise, extremely common when I was doing the testing. Here it is:

Name: Erufuun
Pokédex entry: #547
Type: Grass
Ability: Mischevious Heart - Non-attacking moves have a higher priority (+1).

Base stats:
HP - 60
Attack - 67
Defense - 85
Special Attack - 77
Special Defense - 75
Speed - 116

You might think that such stats, excluding speed, make this guy a pretty mediocre Pokémon, but don't let that fool you. Sporting:

-an enormous base speed of 116,
-an excellent ability in Mischevious Heart,
-a very wide supporting movepool which includes Encore, Substitute, Leech Seed, Taunt, U-turn, Light Screen and Stun Spore.

Please welcome one of the most extreme threats in the 5th generation metagame (and I really mean that). Having a priority Substitute, Leech Seed and Protect, this gives room for some annoying stall using the SubSeed combo, and with Taunt it can prevent all kinds of set-up no matter how fast the opponent is thanks to its ability. This allows it to effectively shut down all sorts of walls or support Pokémon, and also cripple sweepers with Encore. Just imagine something like Salamence with 2 DD boosts being unable to hit because of getting trapped by priority Encore! Not only that, but since Erufuun will most probably not be used as an attacker, U-Turn will find a great usage in scouting and switching into appropriate counters once Erufuun has done its job successfully.

The only flaw I see in this guy is his typing, which gives it a whopping 5 weaknesses to some common types, and coupling that with poor defensive stats means that any super effective attack will kill it. However, with the right support Pokémon in the team, such as Shanderaa, the opponent is ensured a deadly end which is almost impossible to escape without getting affected in some bad way.

I've already tried this as a lead myself, and it has done me miracles. It prevented all the opposing leads from setting any entry hazards and/or attacking in the battles which I had, forcing them to switch out. This has given me chance to get the SubSeed combo up, or get a Pokémon of mine a free switch in. All these merits arguably make Erufuun one of the best, if not the best, stall breaker alongside being potentially the fastest anti-lead and supporting Pokémon in the metagame.

Last edited by Shadow; October 14, 2010 at 09:32:02 AM.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:38:20 AM
Rayquaza

Boredom killed me, so I tried a team. It isn't that great in planning, but for the time being, I have been winning each and every battle.

It is a Sandstorm team, that is, my specialty. I can say one thing: Hippowdon and Doryuzu and Nittorei all together are just awesome!!! Just after a SD, Doryuzu will seep the whole team. Nittorei will set up spikes, and poof!! I also tried a Choice Scarf Waruvial which proved to be amazingly strong. Shandera was good, but not as great as Heatran since it has a lot of weaknesses. >_< Those are the ones I tried, and I am pleased to say that SS gained a new level.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:23:31 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Sweeet. So it won't be all theorycraft now. I'll head there to and make a team.
Btw, I still believe shanderra is a huge huge threat. With shadow tag and that massive special attack alone its easily gonna be the best revenge killer. X-x
Old October 14, 2010, 12:21:37 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Sweeet. So it won't be all theorycraft now. I'll head there to and make a team.
Btw, I still believe shanderra is a huge huge threat. With shadow tag and that massive special attack alone its easily gonna be the best revenge killer. X-x
Shanderra actually isn't as big as we thought it would be. Once it nets a revenge kill, it is easily countered by the next Pokemon brought in, and being Pursuit-weak makes Tyranitar able to deal with it calmly. Heatran also has a good time with it. Anyway, I made some new finds...

Burungel
Water/Ghost

HP: 100
Attack: 60
Defense: 70
Sp.Atk: 85
Sp.Def: 105
Speed: 60

Total: 480

This lady is made to be a specially based Spinblocker, which makes it an amazing counter to a very popular spinner: Starmie. Thunderbolt does less than 50%, so you can have fun with Recover and launch off some Shadow Balls or Energy Balls, its really up to personal preference. The Sp.Atk stat isn't amazing though, so you can't rely on this thing to support such a role. Hell, I wasn't even able to OHKO a Garchomp with Ice Beam with Burungel. Don't let that turn you off the idea of using her though, she is great at what she does.

Vaporeon may seem like a better Pokemon and hey, he just may be, but Burungel has some nice qualities, mostly with her being a Ghost-type. This makes her an amazing Spinblocker, and since we lost the Rotom formes as blockers, Burungel makes up for Wash Rotom well enough. Boil Over is a great Water-type move with 80 BP and a 30% chance of burn that nearly every Water-type gets, but Burungel can use Wll-O-Wisp for a more reliable burn status. Indeed, this Pokemon is shockingly bulky, and has great abilities in Water Absorb and Cursed Body. The latter of the two may disable the last used move of the foe, which can be quite nice.

Sazandora
Dark/Dragon

HP: 92
Attack: 105
Defense: 90
Sp.Atk: 125
Sp.Def: 90
Speed: 98

Total: 600

This guy has better stats than Flygon everywhere, except the 2 lower Speed points, and as such performs similar duties. I use this guy as a Choice Scarfer with Draco Meteor, U-Turn, Surf, and Fire Blast. This guy has a great in and out strategy, and you can't ignore that gorgeous Sp. Atk stat. I haven't tested out Dark Pulse or Earth Power yet, as I have mainly been going for coverage, but they could very well be usable. Look out for Blissey when using this guy. As long as you do, he will impress you.

Pendora
Bug/Poison

HP: 60
Attack: 90
Defense: 89
Sp.Atk: 55
Sp.Def: 69
Speed: 112

Total: 475

Bug/Poison? Base stat total of 475? Get ready for NU... ohwait never mind this guy is amazing. Sure its stats are low, but they are high in all the right places. Running a Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs, this thing has surprised MANY MANY MANY battlers with its amazing speed. They have brought in things that receive an easy OHKO because they don't expect this guy to outpace them. As such, Pendora makes a great Swords Dancer, since it gets fantastic moves like Megahorn, Earthquake, Poison Jab, and Rock Slide. Nice, no? Anyway, not only can it try for a sweep, but I use it as a lead. It is THE fastest Toxic Spikes user in the entire game, making it a nice enough lead. Plus it has the Attack stat to really dent foes. Use this Bug well and you won't be disappointed. Definitely one of my favorites of Gen 5, without question. Plus it looks awesome.

Hihidaruma
Fire

HP: 105
Attack: 140
Defense: 55
Sp.Atk: 30
Sp.Def: 55
Speed: 95

Total: 480

I haven't tried out the odd "Daruma Mode" form of Hihidaruma, but the regular one is pretty nice. Boasting 140 Attack makes this odd thing an amazing Choice Scarfer that can rip some Pokemon in two pieces. If your a really risky person you could attach a Choice Band on it and let it destroy everything in sight, but 95 Speed is only decent at best.

This thing doesn't play like Infernape, since it will be coming in and out a lot. This makes having a spinner key, as Stealth Rock is as common as ever, and Spikes only went up in usage. Otherwise, poor Hihi won't be lasting long. Good thing it gets nice moves like Flare Blitz, U-Turn, Earthquake, Superpower, and Rock Slide. He's good, but he's not great. He dies really quickly if you misplay and can't come in on a whole lot, so be careful with this guy.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; October 14, 2010 at 12:24:32 PM.
Old October 16, 2010, 12:52:32 AM
Celebi

If you give Shanderaa Shadow Ball, then he can seriously destroy everything. He aided even in the DARK type E4 member. It's just water he really can't handle. Shanderaa with Shadow Ball is a huge butt kicker. I have a team which I am getting to be great competetive battlers.... And I, RotomGuy, will prove Shanderaa is the guy we all hoped for!
Old October 16, 2010, 05:50:18 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
If you give Shanderaa Shadow Ball, then he can seriously destroy everything. He aided even in the DARK type E4 member. It's just water he really can't handle. Shanderaa with Shadow Ball is a huge butt kicker. I have a team which I am getting to be great competetive battlers.... And I, RotomGuy, will prove Shanderaa is the guy we all hoped for!
Shanderaa does have a way of handling Water-type Pokémon, as he learns Grass Knot and Energy Ball. I think most of Shanderaa's attacking sets will include Shadow Ball/Overheat/Fire Blast/Heat Wave/Grass Knot/Energy Ball for STAB and/or coverage.
Old October 16, 2010, 08:41:38 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
Shandera is by no means bad, but its is simply too hard for him to serve as a reliable revenge killer if he is (and he often is) choiced into a move like Overheat or Shadow Ball. The very common Tyranitar OHKOs it with Pursuit, and under the sand none of Shandera's attacks will do much. As such, Shandera is often running a Sub Calm Mind set of sorts, but even then will have trouble finding a good time to switch in.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:26:45 PM
Volcarona

Default Shuckle/Ditto

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...are_%28move%29
Spoiler Alert:    

Read it. Think about it. What do you notice that will make shuckle almost uber in the near future?

Now, as this was not enough-

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi..._%28ability%29
Spoiler Alert:    

Though not nearly as good, think of all the applications. Any moves that lower the stats- and gen V has created quite a few, as well as moves like leaf storm, will increase its stats- quite a step up from the ever popular "gluttony" and "sturdy".

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ok%C3%A9mon%29
Spoiler Alert:    

The ability

This allows ditto to not only copy them without having to waste time, but makes him able to copy stat boosts- meaning that a pokemon that just used bellydrum could be switched in on, and henceforth the bonus would be 'stolen' and the ditto would sweep the team. Lead ditto like this could be interesting, as well as dittos with a certain choice scarf.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:10:07 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Think about it. What do you notice that will make shuckle almost uber in the near future?
Piexing may be very happy to hear this
Old October 19, 2010, 11:16:14 PM
Keldeo

Shuckles new ability is kinda a waste though.
He doesn't have anything that lowers his stats like the other pokemon that get it. Kinda unfortunate, but the power share thing may be pretty helpful. Still, I don't see him ending up in uber.

Tags
discussion, metagame, neverused, overused, pokemon, smogon, underused, pokémon bw