Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old March 11, 2012, 01:22:45 PM
Administrator

Default Daylight-Saving Time

Well, what do you think of DST?
Old March 11, 2012, 01:25:15 PM
Administrator

I hate daylight-saving time. It's so stupid in this day and age. When everything uses computers, why must we deal with parts of the world suddenly having a different offset of time? It also completely messes up our internal circadian cycles for a couple days and can cause many people to be late to work on the following Monday due to failure to update clocks.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:27:25 PM
Kyurem

DST aggravates me. Just when I get used to the time, they flip the switch on me. I really don't like it. I just don't like it at all.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:30:15 PM
Haxorus

Currently, I honestly don't care. To me, the way I see it, time is time, and should be valued the same no matter what, seeing as how important it is.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:31:20 PM
Administrator

I don't like it as well. The main reason it existed is so during the hot summer days people would have more "cool" time during the working hours. Now with this magical thing called AC, we don't need it. All it is doing now is screwing up everyone's sleep cycle based on the time of day. And yeah, global communication and forgetting to set your clocks screws up stuff as well.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:16:58 PM
Kyurem

ya i got up this morning thinking it was 10am and it was actully 11am
Old March 11, 2012, 04:19:15 PM
Giratina

I don't like DST. While it did serve a purpose back when it was made, it doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose now, except maybe to ruin everyone's sleeping schedule.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:17:19 PM
Rayquaza

Here in Dubai, there is no DST. But in my home country, there is. Although it can be annoying, the only reason I liked it and still like it is due to winter, where we can actually get more hours of sleep. More sleep in cold weather is a WIN.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:59:08 AM
Rayquaza

I really do not like it mainly because it's a creation is bunch of flamboyant reasoning.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:18:03 PM
Giratina

What's there to say to it? It's just a little time shift is all. I barely have any analog clocks up on the walls or anything, so they all automatically shift, and my body can adjust pretty well at this point.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:37:08 PM
Joltik

DST doesn't affect me that much. It does however force me to change the time on all of my analog clocks, which is such a tedious task. It doesn't affect my internal clock and sleeping times because I can just go bed an hour earlier or later if need be. But, I do think that they should stop DST as it has very little use in these current times.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:45:42 PM
Administrator

Hey, it's that time again, so I shall bump this thread up for anyone who didn't see it before.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:40:52 PM

It doesn't really bother me personally much at all, but I think that we have evolved far past needing it anymore so I also wish it would just go away. Until then I guess that we just gotta accept being stuck with it, sorta like how we have to deal with still using the electoral college system when voting.

Last edited by Cyrus; November 3, 2012 at 11:41:13 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:58:09 AM
Kyurem

The only reason why I'm bothered by DST is because sometimes I have to recalculate times when something is in a DST-affected area.

It's fun trying to align time when every single thing is off by one hour.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:23:15 PM
Shaymin

When I see people complain about this, I like to imagine one lone farming in his chair just laughing at the misery.

... At least that's what I like to think happens every Day-Light Savings.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:44:38 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
When I see people complain about this, I like to imagine one lone farming in his chair just laughing at the misery.

... At least that's what I like to think happens every Day-Light Savings.
And then you realize that not even farmers nowadays use Day-Light Savings.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:47:39 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
And then you realize that not even farmers nowadays use Day-Light Savings.
Hey... I have to apply a little imagination to something that is no longer relavent to keep it relavent.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:22:49 AM
Kyurem

Hmm...

So it's to keep the sunrise time consistent?
Old November 7, 2012, 11:18:41 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Daylight Savings was originally thought of by Benjamin Franklin back in the late 1700's by saying the people of Paris should ration candles, tax window shutters, and wake citizens at sunrise via church bells or cannon fire. So essentially it was to make full use of the sunlight.

Except in modern day, there are things that take full use of both the daytime and nighttime, so Daylight Savings can really harm one or the other at different times of the year.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:13:30 PM

I hate it when DST makes me miss daily events in BW2 for one day. >_> Besides the in game effects, DST is also messing up my sleep schedule, it gets dark pretty quickly now.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:52:51 AM
Mudkip

It's unneeded in my opinion, it was invented in the war for farmers (or so my grandmother says) so why do we still have it?
It also confuses me with time zones. :l
Old November 18, 2012, 09:09:59 PM

I like DST because it keeps the sun from rising ridiculously early. Otherwise the sun would start coming up at 4 am in June, which for me is when I go to sleep over the summer.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:26:33 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Daylight Savings was originally thought of by Benjamin Franklin back in the late 1700's by saying the people of Paris should ration candles, tax window shutters, and wake citizens at sunrise via church bells or cannon fire. So essentially it was to make full use of the sunlight.

Except in modern day, there are things that take full use of both the daytime and nighttime, so Daylight Savings can really harm one or the other at different times of the year.
This is the thing, in modern day, we need it now more than ever. Yes, the purpose of it is to make use of the sun. You may ask why, when we have electricity and all of that good stuff anyways, well I'll tell you. Did you ever thing that because millions of people make use of the sun's natural light because it's out, that we save energy? Well we do, and to be honest, we need to do everything we can to save energy, so I'm not bothered by it one bit.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:15:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxray13579 View Post
This is the thing, in modern day, we need it now more than ever. Yes, the purpose of it is to make use of the sun. You may ask why, when we have electricity and all of that good stuff anyways, well I'll tell you. Did you ever thing that because millions of people make use of the sun's natural light because it's out, that we save energy? Well we do, and to be honest, we need to do everything we can to save energy, so I'm not bothered by it one bit.
Well, if the sun would rise even earlier, like PRS implied with his post, without daylight savings, wouldn't we be saving even more energy?
Old November 19, 2012, 05:10:13 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Well, if the sun would rise even earlier, like PRS implied with his post, without daylight savings, wouldn't we be saving even more energy?
But then it also sets earlier. So I don't know about your daily schedule, but it's nice to have the sun come up when you wake up, and then have it set after supper. This means that for the majority of your day, you're making optimum use of our free and natural light, the sun.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:05:25 AM

Quote:
If it rises too early, long before we wake up, then it's considered a waste.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:49:59 AM
Mudkip

If it's one hour backwards, I have technically time traveled and I do something illegal and have a much better chance of not being guilty. Or I can just take that extra hour of sleep. Don't like the fact that the sun sets earlier though...

As for actual DST, as much as I hate shifting an hour ahead, I actually don't mind the extra sunlight I get considering the fact I don't get as tired during sunlight (Talk about being solar-powered, I know).
Old November 20, 2012, 09:22:16 AM
Servine

I don't mind it one way or another. I just deal with it and adjust my clocks accordingly.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:15:01 PM
Administrator

This is a quick reminder for everyone in an area that observes DST to adjust their clocks one hour forward.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:18:14 PM

Losing an hour of sleep FTL
Old March 9, 2013, 08:47:32 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Maybe, but the sun will stay up longer now, and I'm all for that!
Old March 9, 2013, 08:48:21 PM
Shaymin

Now to wait until we go back again. Then forward. Then backward. Then forward.

The cycle never ends~
Old March 9, 2013, 08:51:17 PM
Giratina

I'm still 100% unfazed by this. Almost every clock of some sort that I have moves forward or back automatically. My parents just change the regular clocks for me. I guess I'll actually have an opinion when I have to do things myself... (Lol no I won't, it's just an hour, not an entire day.)
Old March 9, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

Quote:
Wake up an hour later, or go to sleep an hour earlier. Or do both, then you'll be gaining an hour instead of losing an hour.
Old March 10, 2013, 05:11:17 AM
Giratina

Quote:
What you should do is learn how to sleep in the sleep-cycle pattern. If you can do that, you could get three hours of sleep and not feel tired and more awake even than if you got eight hours of sleep.

The biggest problem I have with DST now is my clock auto-adjusts itself for DST, but it's out-dated so it adjusts itself on the days that were the start of DST, but not anymore. It really confuses me when I wake up to see one time, but another clock I see is an hour behind or ahead.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; March 10, 2013 at 05:14:34 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:57:45 AM
Administrator

If possible, I suggest disabling DST correction and doing it manually. I think I had that issue with a VCR a couple times.

Also, I got to thinking... what happens to the people who have some form of appointment between 1:00 and 2:00 on the day in the autumn where time goes back an hour, since that range of times exists twice? I'm sure quite a handful of people have flights duing those two hours, so how would they know which one o'clock is the one containing their flight? I'd hate to miss a plane because of DST.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 10, 2013 at 06:58:40 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:46:05 AM
Volcarona

I wake up around the same time even in the weekends, so the time change doesn't faze me much. Waking up around the same time everyday helps you feel more refresh than if you sleep in the weekends until noon and then switches to waking up at 7am. Your body doesn't adjust your sleeping changes well. I used to sleep until 9 or 10am in weekends and wake up at 7am in weekdays. I almost always tired even if I got about 9 hours of sleep (if I got lucky). Now I wake up 8am everyday and sometimes at 9:30 am and I am more wide awake.

If the DTS messes up your sleeping time, consistence is the key to help you feel good. Waking up the same hour. It's fine if you sleep about 1 hour later.

DTS might mess up for people who have appointments today. Some people have schedules planning out already and didn't know the time change. It messes up their routine since they have been doing it for awhile. DTS feels funny for me at first, but then I adjust to the change.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:17:21 PM
Charizard

I'm kinda indifferent on the subject of DST, but I don't exactly like having to change to time on everything that doesn't do it automatically. I guess having one less hour of sleep isn't that bad, but it is annoying the day when the clocks move forward.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:50:50 AM
Kyurem

I guess I should be grateful that I don't live in somewhere where DST affects stuff. I've always wondered what's the point of DST in the modern day...
Old March 18, 2013, 12:17:53 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I guess I should be grateful that I don't live in somewhere where DST affects stuff. I've always wondered what's the point of DST in the modern day...
But didn't you show a link in an earlier part of the thread?
Yes you did:
Quote:
Old March 9, 2014, 10:05:11 AM

I don't particularly like losing an hour of sleep....
Old March 9, 2014, 12:39:21 PM
Administrator

It's odd that I always get the urge to bump this thread up in the spring, not the fall. Any new opinions?
Old March 9, 2014, 12:43:09 PM
Keldeo

Back in middle school I used to be an alter server at Church. For some reason or another I'd always get scheduled for this particular Sunday.

And losing an hour of sleep while you already had to get up at 6 AM is NOT something an eleven year old should ever have to do.

I don't care nowadays, though. It makes little difference whether I get up at 9 AM or 10.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:23:56 PM
Mudkip

I just hate the fact that I lose an hour of sleep ;_; Sleep is my long-term relationship! She is my wife, my lover, my friend, my comfort.. and DST has to take an hour away from my one and only love. NOT cool DST, NOT COOL!

Just kidding. I really do enjoy having the extra sunlight! I couldn't imagine having summer and the sun setting at 6:30 every night! This allows for longer days, although they fly by very quickly!
Old March 11, 2014, 04:46:46 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
I don't particularly like losing an hour of sleep....
Technically, you shouldn't since your body is accustomed to going to sleep at the "previous time" but since your mind says "wait, it isn't REALLY 10pm yet" you wait until then thus, making you feel like you've lost an hour of sleep.

I like it since, obviously, it provides more sun time. Kinda important for a guy like me that likes spending some time outdoors with my chickens and whatnot.