Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White 2 > Competitive Battling

Notices

Competitive Battling Locked due to the shutdown of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Search this Thread
Old December 2, 2012, 08:03:03 AM

Default PotW 1: Swampert

Pokémon Sprite 260
Pokemon of the week #1 is Swampert

Overview (From Smogon):
For the past two generations, Swampert had been an OU staple. However, this generation, the power creep of OU was just too much for Swampert to handle and Swampert now finds itself in UU for the first time. The environment of last generation's OU is much like that of this generation's UU, meaning Swampert feels right at home in this tier. Swampert makes for a fantastic choice in UU because he combines great bulk, a wonderful defensive typing, a solid movepool, and an often overlooked base 110 Attack stat, serving as one of the best defensive pivots in the UU tier.

Even with that in mind, Swampert has its limitations. First of all, it lacks reliable recovery, which means it cannot stand up to many hits. It also has a terrible quadruple weakness to Grass, so Shaymin and Tangrowth can switch in with impunity. The real problem with using Swampert is knowing how to use him correctly. Swampert is not a wall, but rather a tank; if you try to sponge neutral attacks with the mud fish, then you'll find Swampert's HP dropping to zero far too quickly. However, if you're aware of its typing and take Swampert's limitations into account, then Swampert will be a great asset to your team.

Rules:
You can post as many movesets as you want. Just try to fit them into one post.
All movesets must be original. Meaning they must not be sets that are taken off a website.
Constructive Criticism is good, just no flaming or trolling.
Please try to be serious about the set and provide as much information as possible on how it works.

Base Stats:
HP: 100
Attack: 110
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 85
Special Defense: 90
Speed: 60

Form of Movesets:    
Name of Pokemon @ Item
Nature
Ability
EVs
-
-
-
-
DESCRIPTION
Old December 2, 2012, 08:44:18 AM
Shaymin

Pokémon Sprite 260
Swampert @ Leftovers
Jolly
Torrent
HP 212, Attack 86, Defense 212
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Brick Break
This is a Defensive Support Swampert. I made this one for people that don't have a "Set-Up" Lead. Like people like me who uses a Machamp as a Power Lead. In my experienec of using it I find that the main threat is Abomasnow, so I have a few attacks that will help you out with that. I would switch out with this pokemon rather than go into it after a pokemon faints. I would suggest doing this when another pokemon, like a Forretress or Steel type is setting up. This shouldn't be a primary attacker, but the attacks are to help deflect an attack, the defense should allow you to take a hit.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:58:00 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplasma View Post
Pokémon Sprite 260
Swampert @ Leftovers
Jolly
Torrent
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Brick Break
This is a Defensive Support Swampert. I made this one for people that don't have a "Set-Up" Lead. Like people like me who uses a Machamp as a Power Lead. In my experienec of using it I find that the main threat is Abomasnow, so I have a few attacks that will help you out with that. I would switch out with this pokemon rather than go into it after a pokemon faints. I would suggest doing this when another pokemon, like a Forretress or Steel type is setting up. This shouldn't be a primary attacker, but the attacks are to help deflect an attack, the defense should allow you to take a hit.
But let us say that this Swampert is against a Machamp, what exactly would it do? When I read your first sentence, I thought Swampert would hold a Lum Berry against confusion, even though it wouldn't be as useful. Another aspect is the whole move set you are referring to; I can't seem to determine its usefulness.

The move set focuses on physical attack, but the Attack EVs mentioned are low. Brick Break is a waste, as most Dark types and Registeel are hit more with Earthquake than with Brick Break. Bronzong is the only Steel to be immune against Earthquake, but Brick Break is almost as useless. I admit though that it can be useful against Umbreon and Sharpedo, but not sure about how useful it would be. Personally, I would prefer a Water move on Swampert, preferably special, just to be on the safe side.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:13:08 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
But let us say that this Swampert is against a Machamp, what exactly would it do? When I read your first sentence, I thought Swampert would hold a Lum Berry against confusion, even though it wouldn't be as useful. Another aspect is the whole move set you are referring to; I can't seem to determine its usefulness.

The move set focuses on physical attack, but the Attack EVs mentioned are low. Brick Break is a waste, as most Dark types and Registeel are hit more with Earthquake than with Brick Break. Bronzong is the only Steel to be immune against Earthquake, but Brick Break is almost as useless. I admit though that it can be useful against Umbreon and Sharpedo, but not sure about how useful it would be. Personally, I would prefer a Water move on Swampert, preferably special, just to be on the safe side.
Hmmm.. Waterfall? There are only 3 Physical Water attacks that Swampert can learn, so if you dont like that one then here is an updated one.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Jolly
Torrent
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Brick Break/Scald (Your pick)
Old December 2, 2012, 10:34:17 AM
Rayquaza

If you have battled me before, you would know that I am the type who prefers slow counter attacks and the use of hazard damage as much as possible. If you are the type who likes to milk the patience out of your foe, then I hope this set helps you. (I have never seen this before and I just thought of it).

Swampert @ Leftovers
Adamant
Torrent
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
-Yawn
-Focus Punch
-Ice Punch
-Scald / Surf

Before using this set, you need to keep in mind that having Stealth Rock or Spikes or both gives you a great advantage. In fact, you better not use this one unless you have at least one of them.

The general idea of this set is to switch in Swampert on a move that it resists or is immune to. The primary move is Yawn. After using it, your foe will have two options: switching out or leaving it till it goes to sleep. In both cases, use Focus Punch. Focus Punch is the strongest Fighting move. An Adamant nature and 252 EVs in Attack would certainly make Swampert punch a hole even in those that resist it. Focus Punch would probably be used once, unless you successfully use Yawn again on another foe's member. But it doesn't matter, since after using it, you would have a great chance of OHKO most Pokémon, and if they are defensive, then reducing their HP to at least half.

Ice Punch is mainly against Flying types, since most Grass types are faster than Swampert. Scald or Surf are to be used when needed, most notably against physical walls and Bronzong.

The EV spread provides maximum physical power while also allowing Swampert to withstand multiple neutral moves.

As I said earlier, entry hazard is a great advantage for this set, as it can make your chance of OHKO with Focus Punch more. A Wish support is also beneficial, as you would then be able to use the Yawn + Focus Punch strategy multiple times. Tornadus makes a great team mate; it can lure Electric and Ice moves that Swampert can switch in, while also act as late sweeper after Swampert has punched dents in your foe's team.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:13:34 AM

Here's my set for a Swampert:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Calm
Torrent
252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpDef
-Scald/Roar
-Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This is a Rest-Talk set with Toxic stall. Even though Swampert has a great Attack stat, it also has a decent Special Attack stat. Rest completely heals Swampert while Sleep Talk gives it a chance to poison the target or attack it with Scald. Roar is also a good option to have on this type of set so that Swampert doesn't become setup bait. However, Scald allows Swampert to directly attack the oppoent while also possibly burning it. Swampert can be a great wall and staller if used correctly.