Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 22, 2012, 07:44:56 AM
Charizard

Default iPhone 4S dropped in water... HELP.

Okay, so I have the OtterBox defender case on my iPhone 4S, and not thinking, I stuck it in a bucket for whatever reason, I don't even know. But it was full of water. It was submerged for maybe a second. I immediately pulled it out, but it took me a second to get a towel around it. I took the phone out of the case and it was pretty dry except the top and bottom. I encased it in a towel and dried it off. The speaker doesn't work, it thinks I have headphones in, and I don't have a q-tip at the moment. When I get one, I'm going to dip it in isopropyl alcohol and dig around in the headphone jack and I guess that'll fix it. I had the charger PLUGGED IN, so nothing got in there. I'm actually using the phone to type this. Is it going to be okay? Did the OtterBox save it?

Last edited by Pikachu; November 20, 2012 at 09:09:44 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:53:22 AM
Shaymin

If I were you I'd put it in a container and completely cover it with rice. Leave it in there for a day. It should be safe though, but just as a precaution I suggest you do that. My sister left her iPod in the rain for an hour and I told her to do that, she did and it survived just fine.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:59:15 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxray13579 View Post
If I were you I'd put it in a container and completely cover it with rice. Leave it in there for a day. It should be safe though, but just as a precaution I suggest you do that. My sister left her iPod in the rain for an hour and I told her to do that, she did and it survived just fine.
To be really, really sure, be sure to make it at least a week. If it didn't fry anything, all moisture should be gone at that point, and it should work for the most part.

If it didn't, well, at least the phone still functions. Have you tried plugging in real headphones first? My DSi had a case of stuck ports which was fixed with a quick insert and remove.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:05:49 AM
Charizard

Yes, I plugged in headphones and I can hear sound out of them.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:14:39 AM
Charizard

Wait, can I turn it off, then dip it in isopropyl alcohol and blowdry it?
Old July 22, 2012, 08:14:52 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
Yes, I plugged in headphones and I can hear sound out of them.
When you unplug them, it's when there's no sound from the internal speakers, no? If so, sounds like the speakers are busted, and considering the device is water-damaged, I think warranties are out of the question.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:29:24 AM
Charizard

The speakers are not broken, it just thinks there's headphones in. When I change the volume it says "Headphones."

Last edited by Pikachu; July 22, 2012 at 08:30:28 AM.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:59:21 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
The speakers are not broken, it just thinks there's headphones in. When I change the volume it says "Headphones."
Seems like there's something within the headphones jack that's causing it to think there's a headphone in there, then.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:18:14 AM
Charizard

UPDATE: The sound works now. I was listening to music on the headphones for a while Nd upon unplugging them the normal speakers work. So now there's no visible damage to the phone at all. What should I do at this point?
Old July 22, 2012, 09:38:24 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
UPDATE: The sound works now. I was listening to music on the headphones for a while Nd upon unplugging them the normal speakers work. So now there's no visible damage to the phone at all. What should I do at this point?
Your phone should theorectically work, but the coast's not clear yet. Try drying it using the method Luxray said.

(I've have heard of Nokias dying hours after working after a dip in the bath tub.)
Old July 23, 2012, 05:01:55 AM
Charizard

Okay, so it's been 24 hours since it fell in the water. I'm using It right now and it still seems to be fine. Should I still be worried?
Old July 23, 2012, 05:15:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Okay, so it's been 24 hours since it fell in the water. I'm using It right now and it still seems to be fine. Should I still be worried?
Hopefully, the coast is clear this time! Just be more careful, because you might not get as lucky as this time.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:23:37 AM
Charizard

Well I DID have the Docking port covered by the fact that I had the charger IN when I did it, plus I had the OtterBox defender on it, so nothing got into the sides, I was quick to pull it out, and nothing was directly exposed, so I played a big part in saving it too. I'm sure if there was no case on it it would be dead right now.

Last edited by Pikachu; July 23, 2012 at 05:24:13 AM.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:29:38 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I'm sure if there was no case on it it would be dead right now.
Haha! They say that the iPhone is the most fragile electronic device out there right now, and it can probably be linked to the materials of its casing. Glass is freaking fragile! If the water didn't did it in, then it's the impact.
Old July 23, 2012, 05:57:28 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Haha! They say that the iPhone is the most fragile electronic device out there right now, and it can probably be linked to the materials of its casing. Glass is freaking fragile! If the water didn't did it in, then it's the impact.
I meant the OtterBox defender I had on it.
Old July 23, 2012, 11:46:21 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
If the water didn't did it in, then it's the impact.
So true.

When I was still going to college, I went to put my iPhone back in my pocket before class, I accidentally dropped it on the cement walkway. Fortunately, the shell I bought for it, took the gouge and protected the actual phone. Without the shell, I would have been out $280.

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; July 23, 2012 at 11:46:51 AM.
Old July 24, 2012, 03:30:17 AM
Charizard

It's been two days now. Using the phone to type this. Seems perfectly fine. Yay OtterBox!
Old November 20, 2012, 09:08:46 PM
Charizard

Hate to double post, let alone bring this topic back up, but I was searching around today and found out something interesting. There are two "Liquid Damage Indicators" which turn red on my iPhone 4S immediately after coming in contact with any liquids... Neither of them are red. They're both still perfectly white. My Otterbox must have protected it far more than I had thought! There is no indication whatsoever that my iPhone was dunked underwater.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:26:08 PM
Administrator

I've seen a few videos where people accidentally dropped them in swimming pools, and they were recording the whole time, even while submerged.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:31:19 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I've seen a few videos where people accidentally dropped them in swimming pools, and they were recording the whole time, even while submerged.
Well you would at least expect the indicators to trip. Right? O.o
Old November 20, 2012, 10:30:25 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Hate to double post, let alone bring this topic back up, but I was searching around today and found out something interesting. There are two "Liquid Damage Indicators" which turn red on my iPhone 4S immediately after coming in contact with any liquids... Neither of them are red. They're both still perfectly white. My Otterbox must have protected it far more than I had thought! There is no indication whatsoever that my iPhone was dunked underwater.
Nice! And there are two more hidden ones inside- you have to trip all four of them before your warranty is void.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:42:30 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Nice! And there are two more hidden ones inside- you have to trip all four of them before your warranty is void.
If the outsides one didn't trip then I highly doubt the inside ones did. Especially since again, the sides, bottom, and top were covered by the Otterbox. Plus I never shut the phone off and put it in rice because I thought no water got in despite it being submerged. I was right, but I'm still surprised they didn't trip when I took the case off, as a small amount of water did get onto the sides of the phone, but were quickly wiped away thanks to the random towel on the floor.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:28:24 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
If the outsides one didn't trip then I highly doubt the inside ones did. Especially since again, the sides, bottom, and top were covered by the Otterbox. Plus I never shut the phone off and put it in rice because I thought no water got in despite it being submerged. I was right, but I'm still surprised they didn't trip when I took the case off, as a small amount of water did get onto the sides of the phone, but were quickly wiped away thanks to the random towel on the floor.
The strips are designed to only react when dunked in water, and shouldn't change colour under rainy weather and other minor spills. Since the Otterbox took the grunt of the water damage, well... yeah.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:03:07 AM
Charizard

Quote:
The strips are designed to only react when dunked in water, and shouldn't change colour under rainy weather and other minor spills. Since the Otterbox took the grunt of the water damage, well... yeah.
Well that's... XD Great! And I looked in the charging post and there's no corrosion or anything in there. I had the charger plugged in when it happened though, so nothing in there got wet.