Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 28, 2012, 01:24:44 AM
Kyurem

Default Tilt your monitor towards and away from you.

Let's talk about the viewing angles of displays! Try viewing your display at extreme angles, both vertically and horizontally. What do you get?

Both my Galaxy S and Lumia 900 which both came with OLED screens held incredibly well under even extreme viewing angles - I can practically view it at an angle almost 90 degrees, and it's still exact.

As for my MacBook Air that uses a TN LCD, it's no slouch, either. It has really good horizontal viewing angles, and it behaves quite similarly to my old desktop at my home. It yellows out slightly when viewed from quite an angle from the sides, but it's pretty readable, still. Viewing the screen from the top also holds up incredibly well, with colours only slightly washed out - text is still readable. As for viewing from the bottom, though? You can forget about that - it blacks out. Whatever it is, it sure is miles better than my old, now given-away Acer or my dad's Toshiba. I'd put it about the same as my desktop, and it better be: it's a Samsung panel, after all, after doing some Internet checking.

The 3DS had to come with the most disappointing IPS LCD panel ever >.< No colour shifting, sure, and the display never inverts, and shows full 24-bit colour. That's about the only good things that I've to say about its screens. The colours wash out ridiculously quickly, when it's viewed from the sides. You can't tell what you're looking at from the side - I only see an off-white. I hope that the 3DS XL had better viewing angles in 2D mode. Coming from the DSi's surprisingly good screens, it's a total disappointment.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:32:36 AM
Regigigas

I usually have to change angles when I move around otherwise my screen is all weird.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:45:41 AM
Rayquaza

My laptop's screen becomes too dark when tilted. I can't see anything. My iPhone, however, can still be read when tilted to the extreme.
Old August 28, 2012, 01:56:24 AM
Shaymin

Nothing I have really does anything different when I tilt them. I guess that's a good thing?
Old August 28, 2012, 05:24:31 AM
Kyurem

As I'm on my iPod Touch, let's start with that. It's actually really good, only slightly yellowing or blue-ing at even the most extreme angles that I can't even read anything at. As for my Dell Inspiron laptop, well that has the usual issues with laptop screens, except that it's surprisingly well at being viewed from the top. My dad's Dell Precision, on the other hand, is really bad. I've never done a test because, well, it isn't my laptop, but with it tilted back about 25 degrees and a few inches below my eye level, it's blacked out to the point where I can't really see anything at all.

Also, on the topic of the 3DS's screen, the colors also distort under direct sunlight, making it impossible to see between two colors and impossible to use 3D mode.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:25:49 AM
Volcarona

My laptop is pretty good. When I tilt the screen forward, I can still read it pretty well. When I tilt it back though, the contrast increases, making it somewhat harder to read. This seems to account for pages where the colours are darker. When the page has lighter colours, it's vise-versa.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; August 28, 2012 at 06:26:10 AM.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:59:43 PM
Cyndaquil

It all really depends on how I sit. If I happen to be sitting up on the floor typing, I would tilt it back, or if i was laying down, i would tilt it forward. Just the thought of it makes me want to tilt over.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:01:55 PM
Regigigas

I should've mentioned I'm using an iPad witch is why I have tilt it all the time