Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 27, 2013, 07:33:50 AM
Kyurem

Default Bought a Seagate Backup Plus today

Ew. The WD Passport that I had? Well, it's pretty much in a state where I can't really trust it anymore. Too many disconnections across different computers and cables? Sounds more like the drive is at fault, so I bought a Seagate Backup Plus instead. 1 TB, too.

Some notes regarding the Seagate Backup+ (easier to write this way):
  • The entire thing looks very square-ish compared to most other external drives. Very basic-looking, but they say that looks aren't everything. At least the black complements my laptop very well.
  • The cable seems to be slightly thinner than the cable that came with the WD Passport, or the third-party USB 3 cable I bought to check whether it's the drive or the cable. (It's the drive, as it turns out.)
  • This thing spins up faster than the WD by a long shot, and it didn't have false boots, either.
  • The indicator light is on the top instead of a side - it's much more visible.
  • Running CrystalDiskMark on the drive gave me a pleasant (if shocking) surprise: the drive goes up to 120 MB/s - faster than my freaking laptop's drive. And it's still a 5400 RPM drive!
  • The drive is one of these Advanced Format drives, which means that the sectors are naturally aligned to 4 KB instead of 512 bytes. This may cause problems with older disk backup software. Caution advised while using Windows Backup (you should use the included Seagate Dashboard and the downloadable Seagate DiscWizard instead)
  • The upshot? Maybe that explains the performance increase relative to other 5400 RPM drives.
  • The drive is absolutely silent. Not. Even. A. Sound.
  • I really should get a pouch for the drive. It looks fragile.
  • Remember when they came with a two-year warranty, as listed in many online reviews? They now come with three years.
  • The USM module attached is USB 3.0. I can remove it to expose the SATA connectors if I ever want to use it as a regular SATA drive in a desktop (after getting it mounted properly). I wish more pre-packaged drives did this.

Did I make the right choice?

Last edited by Twiggy; January 27, 2013 at 07:36:01 AM.