Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 29, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
Administrator

Default How do you display or store your video games (and movies/CDs/books)?

I've been curious about what I should do with my game collection (as well as movies, CDs, and books) for a while. At the moment, it's kind of all over the place: some on shelves, some in drawers, some in boxes, some in cabinets, and some in racks. I've just got too much media to know what to do with, and I don't want to buy any furniture until I know what to do with it all.

I've seen a few folks around here and around the 'net with rather elaborate shelving with their collections, keeping the discs and such in protective cases, neatly in alphabetical order.

How do you folks store your games, movies, CDs, books, and other media?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 29, 2013 at 10:01:34 PM.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:20:58 PM
Administrator

Here's my setup, with everything in various places throughout my room:

Collection    

This is the main bookshelf. Top has Genesis (all in original cases), Xbox 360, and Nintendo 64 (Universal Game Cases with printed box artwork). Second shelf has DVD based games (GameCube, Wii, PS2, and Xbox). Third shelf has NES, SNES (both in Universal Game Cases) and my currently loose Atari 2600 carts. Other two shelves here just have other stuff.

Hanging on the wall behind my TV I have this CD holder for CD-based games (DreamCast and PS1).

Here is my entertainment center. The top shelf on the left has DVDs, and the top shelf on the right has PSP, Game Gear, Virtual Boy, and loose odd-shaped GameBoy cartridges. The top main shelf is where I have a constantly rotating selection of systems (currently has Xbox 360 and Ouya), second shelf has my Media Center PC, and the bottom shelf has a cardboard box full of VHS tapes.

Next to the side of my entertainment center I have this smaller bookshelf which stores DS, 3DS, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance games. All the GameBoy games are in DS cases with printed box artwork (like the Universal cases from earlier). The appropriate sign on the top came from a board-game store that went out of business like 10 years ago.

Finally, in the cabinet where my PC is I have this shelf. Red crate on the left is excellent for holding CDs and DVDs. Various multi-disk cases and blank media spindles take up the other side.

Last edited by Yoshi648; April 29, 2013 at 10:32:34 PM.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:45:29 AM
Kyurem

My Xbox 360 games are in a big stack right next to the console.
Loose cartridges from older systems are all kept in a box.
Gamecube games (and one Genesis game with a box) are kept in the TV stand.
Everything else is in a bookcase.
Old April 30, 2013, 07:48:41 AM
Haxorus

If I be honest, most of my games are just thrown randomly over the floor.
However I do have a bookshelf where I store books/ games I never use.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:40:06 AM

It really depends for me. Back in the 8 bit handheld days, I had a case for every Gameboy Game I had (like the little plastic cover things), and a container for those to go in. Started getting a little careless in the DS era, but most of them still make it somewhere where I know where they are. As for console game, I never had my boxes for my SNES and N64 games. Gamecube, I had little CD folders for them. I've got a CD folder for my Wii games too. 360 boxes are strewn about my room. And as for the Wii U, I think I'm gonna start keeping them in cases on a shelf for display somewhere.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:26:27 AM
Shaymin

Kind of all over the place. Console games are placed close to the consoles in the other room so that they can all have a chance to be played one day. DVD's and Blu-Rays are stored outside as well so that we can all choose a movie for one of those long nights. Personal PC games, Movies and Books I keep to myself in my room amongst my shelves so they aren't so difficult to find.

Top of my desk is reserved for figurines and stuff like that.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:28:28 AM
Regigigas

I keep my games in CD wallet cases/multi-game holders/etc. My Wii and PS2 games go in a large CD wallet, my PSP games in one of these, and my DS/3DS games in one of these. Still need something to put what few GBA games I have in.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:42:44 AM
Kyurem

I now put my physical DS and 3DS games in a specialized area within my 3DS XL's pouch. The game cases are put in a drawer.

With most of my games now on digital, I don't have any place to display my games, aside from the system/computer itself. Games are stored on mass storage for me.

Last edited by Twiggy; April 30, 2013 at 09:42:54 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:03:30 PM
Giratina

To the right of me is my nightstand, where most of my GameCube games happen to be stacked, along with just about all of my N64 games. On the other side of my room is a bookshelf which I decided to use to store the rest of my GameCube games and all of my Wii games, along with what's left of my PS2 game cases. Speaking of PS2, I store just about all of my PS2 games in one big CD case which sits "neatly" on the bookshelf.

When I decide to play a PS2 game, however, the CD case likes to play hide-and-seek with me it seems.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:55:00 PM
Giratina

I keep my Wii and 360 games neatly packed into a small cabinet under the main TV. That's where the systems are so it's easy to just pluck out a game and slap it in ma game machine.

The Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox games are all under my TV in my room on a shelf. I don't have many of those (unfortunately) so they can all squeeze tightly under there with the systems right next to them.

My DS, 3DS, and GBA games don't stay in their cases. I have this Spiderman fisherman's box that I like to keep them in. But I keep all the cases for every single game, because I'm a collector. My PSP games are the only games that I have thrown all about, as I only ever bought like 3-5 of them. I realized that UMDs suck.

All my PlayStation games are kept in a large container. When I want to play ONE I take that one out and play it. Then when I finish I return it to the large container. I'm very serious about my collection.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:46:30 AM
Celebi

Before I moved to my house, I had a drawer where I held all my games and DVDs and categorized by system so my PS2/PS3 games were on the left, Wii/DS/Gamecube games were in the middle and DVD's were on the right.
Now it's much of the same just instead of a drawer I have then just stacked on one another but in the same order
Old May 1, 2013, 10:46:44 AM
Mudkip

I have a separate cabinet for each each console set games, each stacked in rows. with my favorites at the front.

So in total i have a cabinet for my PS3, Xbox 360, DS/3DS/PS vita and then the Wii/Wii U
As for my books again a separate cabinet with my books stacked neatly as to not crumple or damage the books in anyway.

Same goes for my Comics collection, but dont really have any music so they are just left in the cupboard =3
Old May 1, 2013, 02:14:58 PM
Rayquaza

Might as well repost this image

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 1, 2013 at 05:08:44 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old May 17, 2013, 12:50:17 PM
Administrator

I recently re-arranged my room, and such I now had space to do this:

All my games are now in one space together, and still have some room to grow
Old May 25, 2013, 12:57:36 PM
Regigigas

If I could afford a fancy bookshelf or something, I'd put'em there. But I don't have the money or time to go garage sale shopping for one. So meh. I do have one bookshelf, but my Mortal Kombat stuff is there. xD DS games are on a dresser/nightstand, PS3 games are where my MK stuff is at, and my Wii games are in a cabinet. My Wii collects dust for me.
Old May 25, 2013, 01:04:02 PM
Shaymin

I recently put in a shelf next to my desk, Reserved for the more expensive figurines I don't want to risk on my desk from my game rage...

So far, it only has three things on it... But it'll grow... oh it'll grow...
Old January 31, 2014, 01:57:33 AM
Administrator

I've managed to collect most of my games together, and I put most of my cased ones on a nice shelf. Let's check it out.

Fennekin and Zorua guard the shelf, atop my Wii U, Wii, and GameCube games:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf 1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	5919

Below those are more GameCube, Xbox, Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, and PlayStation games:

Name:	Shelf 2.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	5920

Along with PlayStation 2 games, I've gotten a few of those universal game cases to store some of my favorite Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 games:

Name:	Shelf 3.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	5921
Old January 31, 2014, 08:55:14 AM
Keldeo

I don't have most of my video games on hand since I'm at school for the time being, but let's see what I remember . . .

- 3/DS games are lined up in an unordered row on my desk
- Wii games are scattered around on the shelf under the TV the Wii is plugged into
- The few (DS/GBA) games I have at school are mostly in an envelope in a drawer because I only brought the cartridges and not the cases

I'm organized.