Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 23, 2013, 11:09:11 PM
Administrator

Default Movie-based games

With so many games out based on movies, and many of them receiving lukewarm reviews, I'm curious to know what folks around here think of them. What movie games have you played that you thought were great, and which ones made you want to return them badly?
Old December 23, 2013, 11:34:56 PM
Celebi

I played the Spider-man Games..
In which Spider-Man 3 Made Me almost Rage Quit.
So I tend to steer clear from movie games if I can
Old December 24, 2013, 04:31:04 AM
Giratina

I stopped buying them because they suck but I have The Incredibles for Xbox, Spider-Man 2 for GBA, Monster's Inc. for PlayStation and PC, and Fantastic Four for PS2. The Incredibles was pretty decent, and I liked the gameplay which was mixed in with bits and pieces of the movie. Haven't beaten it yet. Spider-Man was awful, but I gave them an A for effort with the sprites and everything. Monster's Inc. was actually very good and pretty difficult, expanding upon the world of the movie and keeping things interesting with its own story. Fantastic Four was pretty random and never wanted itself to end and kept adding new and new things that were never even mentioned in the movie.

I don't own it (and never will) but the Wreck-It Ralph game was god-awful. It's pretty laughable, they screwed up a game based on a movie CENTERED AROUND GAMES. Pfffft.

Technically Battle for Bikini Bottom is based off of the SpongeBob TV show and not a particular movie, but it is my 2nd favorite game for Xbox.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:01:53 AM
Keldeo

I used to play the Harry Potter games. A lot. They had decent gameplay and level design, and even bothered to fit in a decent part of the plot that made the books so worth reading: someone who had never read or watched POA could probably have a decent handle on what it was about if they played it 100% and actually read the dialogue.

But then Goblet of Fire came out, and it looked like they were trying to appeal to more hardcore video game people, and while they might have succeeded at that (the reviews were good, somehow) from there out the franchise wasn't a Harry Potter game any more. You ran around and waved your wand and talked to people and played Chore Boy, with a little bit of plot infused here and there. Finally, someone said in a review that it looked like EA was just doing it because it would sell because of the HP logo.

So, I guess that shows how easy it is to screw up games that are based on other media.
Old December 25, 2013, 06:33:51 PM
Giratina

Looking through my album of video games I posted a long while back, I now remember all the others I have...

Dinosaurs for GBC: Pure garbage.
Goblet of Fire for GC: Kinda stupid
Inspector Gadget for PlayStation: I loved it.
The Lion King for PlayStation: This was difficult and nice.
Atlantis for PlayStation: Very difficult, my memories of it are gone.
Buzz Lightyear (something or other) for PlayStation: I liked it even though it was too hard.
The Haunted Mansion for Xbox: My fondest memories of this game were eating turkey sausage and it being too hard and scary to play past the first 5 minutes. Didn't like it.
Enter the Matrix for Xbox: Very good and close to the movie, but fighting against Agents was something I could never do.
Speed Racer the Video Game for Wii: Actually one of the best racing games I've ever played.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:30:46 PM

I had more games based on TV shows when I was younger like SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents. I remember there was once a DS game that featured all of the main nicktoons at the time like the above along with Danny Phantom and Jimmy Neutron.

As for the ones based on movies, like Over the Hedge, they're still wrapped in the plastic.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:42:57 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
I had more games based on TV shows when I was younger like SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents. I remember there was once a DS game that featured all of the main nicktoons at the time like the above along with Danny Phantom and Jimmy Neutron.

As for the ones based on movies, like Over the Hedge, they're still wrapped in the plastic.
Don't know if it's the one you're talking about, but I have that for GameCube. Nicktoons Unite. It had a very good story and good use of the characters' powers. I don't play it anymore since I beat it like a gajillion times but it was nice while it lasted.