Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 5, 2014, 09:57:55 PM
Keldeo

Default Harry Potter had video games, too!

This may or may not be inspired by Twiggy's VG General thread.

I used to think these games were pretty popular, most of my schoolmates and relatives had the PC and/or console versions, but when I grew up and discovered the Internet I learned that surprisingly many people had never even heard of the games.

The first three (when the HP games were actually "good," as I like to say, also known as before development got handed off to people who had no idea where they were doing) basically were my entire world of video games until I was well into middle school. It's a little embarassing to think of how many times I 100%'ed them all, and they're among the few video games I've brought to college with me (thank God I still have a computer with a disc drive).

So has anyone else here played/heard of them?
Old March 5, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
Giratina

A thread just about Harry Potter video games? Wow, you must reeeaally love them

The only one I own is the one right down there at the bottom.

It was okay, I guess. I never got far because I got stuck and didn't know how to use spells properly. Eventually I got bored and stopped playing it. But maybe I'll pick it up again to see what it's worth. I don't think I'll get a chance to play those other two, I made a promise to myself to not buy any more movie-based games even if people claim them to be good.

I have a friend who's crazy about Harry Potter, so she might have more games than I do. I'll have to ask her about it when I see her this weekend.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:11:27 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
A thread just about Harry Potter video games? Wow, you must reeeaally love them
Oh, you don't know half of it.

I can't really say GoF wasn't a good representation of the games that were based on the movies that were based on the books since most of them followed that style. The first three, though, were a lot different. More colorful, more relative freedom to explore and (to my 6-year-old self, anyway) a much more magical play experience.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:51:43 PM
Administrator

Harry Potter video games actually played a vital role in getting me into Pokémon games. I had gotten Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on the Game Boy Color to play on my Game Boy Advance sometime in 2002. At the time, I was still relatively new to gaming, and it was one of my first times experiencing an RPG. Prior to that, I had played mostly Mario games, and I owned Pokémon Stadium. The game actually was quite fun until I reached a point where a game-breaking glitch prevented a key item from spawning in the library, which would've forced me to start over. I attempted to use a GameShark to hack the item in, but it instead erased my save file. At that point, I gave up and didn't touch the game again. Up until this point, I only owned a Nintendo 64 and a Game Boy Advance.

In December 2002, for my birthday, I received a copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets...on the PlayStation. As I opened it, my mom saw the logo and realized that the clerk had grabbed the wrong copy, so we had to return it to Wal-Mart to get the GBC version instead. When we went to the game case, I spotted Pokémon Silver and Pokémon Yellow next to it. Being a fan of Lugia and wanting to try out the proper core games in the series, I decided to get that rather than the Harry Potter game, and that was how I was introduced to the core series Pokémon games.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 5, 2014 at 11:55:42 PM.
Old March 6, 2014, 03:28:11 AM
Rayquaza

I usually stay away from video games based off of movies they're usually always terrible.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:30:39 PM
Landorus

Huh, I don't think I knew about the Harry Potter video games. Well, aside from the Lego Harry Potter games and Pottermore (which isn't technically a video game, but it still kinda fits). The Lego HP game seemed to be pretty faithful to the books/movies (from what I can remember), and I like how they find ways to slip in a minor detail here and there, as well as adding in the occasional goofy feeling that all the Lego games seem to do so well. I only played books 1-4, though, so I'm not sure if the 5-7 adaptions were as good.
Old March 6, 2014, 03:15:19 PM
Mudkip

DUDE Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone pc game was soooooo good, one of the first video games i ever owned!