Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 21, 2013, 01:25:29 PM
Mudkip

Default Disappointment

Hello guise. I had this conversation with a couple of friends the other day and thought I would bring it here to get some more opinions. The topic? Disappointing Pokemon. One of mine is Machamp in Pokemon Black 2. I got mine from Reuniclus as an egg, trained him up to level 65 and his stats seem fine but he faints way to quick. I love Machamp as a Pokemon but not as a party member. So disappointing...

Got a Pokemon that you wish was cooler, stronger, faster, better? Feel free to add to this if you feel they are lacking or more could have been done with them.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:42:41 PM
Administrator

Linoone is a little disappointing in-game, but it's more useful for having along on a Hoenn team rather than keeping in a competitive team.

Arcanine and half the Eeveelutions (especially Flareon) are also pretty difficult to use on competitive teams.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
Haxorus

Rhyperior. It has so much potential but it is let down by it's speed.
Smeargle. I just wish that it's attack was better and with such a wide movepool it's let down by that.
Old June 21, 2013, 06:44:09 PM
Zoroark

Umbreon. I love it and have one, but its only for Wish support.
Old June 21, 2013, 06:51:02 PM
Celebi

Duskull/Dusclops..
It takes hits like a champ....but unless you have some heart scales it really isn't useful
cause of it's poor attacking stat and attacking movepool in game, although it is somewhat useful competitively
Old June 22, 2013, 04:47:56 AM
Charizard

Sadly, Floatzel is not without his flaws. He's like a glass bullet. Extremely fast, even moreso in the rain, hits hard...but can be broken easily by an Electric or Grass-type move. A bit of a boost in defense would be ideal for the Sea Weasel.

Last edited by DiamondEdge; June 22, 2013 at 10:33:38 AM.
Old June 22, 2013, 08:57:38 AM
Mudkip

Another one for me is Delibird. Overall this pokemon has a really cool concept especially considering the Black2/White2 pokedex entry.
-It carries food all day long. When someone is lost in the mountains, it shares that food.-
But it only has one move, Present. I wish they would have taken the Stockpile approach and gave him a few more moves revolved around his Present move.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:49:48 AM

Farfetch'd is pretty disappointing to me. 5 generations have passed and there's still no evolution for this guy. Despite getting Stick as a specific hold item for this Pokémon, it still doesn't fare well in battles because it has poor speed.
Old June 22, 2013, 01:11:26 PM

This might be a bit obvious to list, but Regigigas. For a legendary with incredible stats, they are almost useless for the ability it is cursed with, Slow Start. While not as bad, Archeops is also a bit of a let down because of it's terrible ability Defeatist. I never understood why potentially great pokemon are hampered by the ability they are given.
Old June 22, 2013, 02:12:00 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Farfetch'd is pretty disappointing to me. 5 generations have passed and there's still no evolution for this guy. Despite getting Stick as a specific hold item for this Pokémon, it still doesn't fare well in battles because it has poor speed.
Yeah I agree, nothing going well for that guy really.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:22:44 PM
Giratina

I would say Turtwig, but it's unevolved and that makes it quite obvious. So instead I'll say Torterra, since I use that sometimes as well. Its speed just kills me... when I first evolved Turtwig to it I just... stopped using it... but it has some pretty nice defense. But then it also lacks a lot in special defense, but he has HEAVY Sp. Def weaknesses. Ice, Fire, Water (Especially with Scald.)

Another one is Darmanitan's Zen Mode. How will I effectively plan such a flip-flop and use it in battle?
Old June 27, 2013, 07:26:41 PM
Kyurem

Well, let's see...

I really wish Sunflora was better. The fact that it literally gains no Speed upon evolution and that it's frail doesn't make it very good. Sunkern is just bad outside of the Pokéathlon, so I personally don't like it very much. Come to think, outside of Celebi, a lot of the Gen II Grass Types are really underwhelming. Jumpluff's a good support Pokémon, albeit kind of gimmicky, and Bellossom is forgettable. Meganium's okay, I guess.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:58:27 PM
Floatzel

Shedinja. Such a great concept, but it not only has six weaknesses, but weather kills it, burn or poison kill it, . Who doesn't have a Fire, Rock, Ice, Ghost, Dark, Flying, status-inducing, or weather move on at least two of their pokémon? Not only that, but its stats aren't too good to begin with. Interestingly enough, since it evolves from Nincada, its Attack is higher than its Special Attack, meaning that a pokémon with a Pokédex entry stating it never moves still hits harder with X-Scissor than with Shadow Ball?
Mew. Sure, she can do anything, but not that well. Give her whatever moveset you want, I can probably find another pokémon with a nearly identical moveset that has better stats where it counts for that particular strategy.
Gothitelle. I was looking forward to it once I found out about it, but it isn't good. At anything. Just check Serebii. It's just...bad.
Genesect. I really liked its concept, being similar to Mewtwo, but it seems like a weaker version of Arceus to me with regard to its type-changing stuff. Plus, a 4x weakness to Fire hurts a lot in competitive play.
Flygon. I finally got one to level 100 after some exhausting training, but it just...wasn't good. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I didn't know of EVs at the time, but it disappointed me.
Blaziken. My chosen starter in Emerald, and I loved him. Then, I made it to the Elite Four. Wallace, the Water-type champion. His Wailord was able to 1HKO my highest leveled pokémon, my handsome Blaziken, every time. I spent a month training a Magnemite I went out and caught until it was level 92 before I was able to bring him down. I felt that my starter had failed me.

Last edited by Tarellethiel; July 5, 2013 at 06:50:29 PM.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:58:58 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarellethiel View Post
Who doesn't have a weather move on at least two of their pokémon?
I don't use weather moves at all, I use abilitys like Drizzle for Rain for use with thunder and Sandstorm with Sand Veil. I feel like the little boost isnt worth a turn I guess.

Quote:
I felt that my starter had failed me.
I feel the same way with Emboar in Black 2. Holy crap, his move set feels very limited to me and his type match-up doesn't do him justice. Fire/Fighting, could have been way cooler and he just seems to drop against Psychic moves, even with a boosted Sp Def, I stopped using him and opted for a Chamander I got from a trade, hes not that much better. I really like the Serperior, draining combos with Big Root though. I use Leech Seed and then Toxic, then just Giga Drain. Love that combo.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:29:43 PM
Linoone

Luxray... dear god. Nintendo why must you make a Pokémon that looks so awesome with those stats and horrible movepool? Almost all of his moves are Electric, Dark, and Normal. Most lacking any real power. And most of his powerful ones are Special attacks, yet he's a physicial attacker. Notmally I would have overlooked this due to it's pre-evolution being a beginning game Pokémon but THEN I got a shiny Shinx. Still, it's really bad compared to other beginning game Pokémon such as Stoutland or the Pigeys.

Last edited by Wolfbane5001; July 5, 2013 at 05:30:12 PM. Reason: small error
Old July 5, 2013, 07:07:00 PM
Floatzel

The only shiny I ever found myself (aside from Soulsilver's Red Gyarados) was a pink Marill in Emerald. However, I was very new to pokémon at the time, and killed it to help train my Magnemite. I really regret that now, especially since it's going to be a Fairy-type next gen.
Also, all of my starters have been male. Every single one. I really wanted a female Snivy for...no real reason. I just did.
Why can't you play as a girl in Colosseum or XD? They were my first pokémon games.
Lopunny. Not sure why, but I liked her as a pokémon. She's not good. In any way.
Spiritomb. I find its movepool really lacking. I always thought it was so cool, the pokémon with no weakness hidden in a crumbling tower...
Blissey. Thanks to the Eviolite, Chansey is better.
Dusknoir. I always loved his evolutionary line, but I never got mine to work. I don't know why.
Dunsparce. So wacky, so different...and so weak.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:19:01 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I felt that my starter had failed me.
While on the topic of starters...

Venusaur: He's always been an interesting starter, sporting the ever-common Grass/Poison type, but being one of the few that actually have stats to back up the typing. Being really diverse in stats, I figured it could be whatever I wanted it to be, whether it be an attacker or a supporter. Still, its movepool isn't that diverse, with me usually relying on Petal Dance and Sludge Bomb most of the time. Granted, Earthquake's been an option for a while, and it can now learn Outrage by move tutor, but its attacking capability has always seemed a little lackluster, but not anything I couldn't get around.

Meganium: Almost the same as Venusaur, actually, but without the Poison typing and more of an inclination towards defense. Meganium was more of a defender than anything to me, and its attacking movepool was generally nonexistant. Outside of Petal Dance, there weren't many moves that Meganium could abuse to inflict damage. It was more of a Pokémon that just helped my other ones out with dual screens or something to that effect.

Sceptile: I really am disappointed by Sceptile's lack of movepool-stat synergy. It has what it takes to become an awesome Special Attack-abusing sweeper, but there's a problem: even with such a diverse movepool, most of its attacks are PHYSICAL. Leaf Blade, X-Scissor, Acrobatics, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Outrage, Drain Punch, Iron Tail, Thunderpunch, Night Slash...they're all great moves, but they all rely on Sceptile's more inferior Attack stat. Instead, because of its stats, the only special moves it can really abuse are, what, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power. Dragonbreath, maybe, but its low power isn't going to do any favors. I just felt that Sceptile was a really big missed opportunity to make a powerful starter.

Torterra: Slow, slow, and did I mention slow? At least it's relatively bulky and has a movepool that works well with it. For once, Outrage is actually a viable option, as it has a higher Attack stat than Special Attack, unlike its three predecessors. It has good coverage, and it can take hits pretty well, though it has a glaring 4x weakness to Ice. Overall, I'd say it's great, but awfully SLOW!

Serperior: Oddly enough, Serperior is like what you would get if you averaged Meganium and Sceptile's stats together. The result isn't pretty. Extremely low movepool, and a Speed stat that's good for not much of anything. If Contrary were released, then maybe I'd forgive it, but sadly, like Shadow Tag Chandelure, it wasn't meant to be. So it's going to live its life as a subpar Pokémon. Sad.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:32:50 PM
Linoone

Baby Pokémon such as Munchlax, Pichu, Azurill, igglybluff.... just why? They can't breed. Some can't even be hatched unless a parent is holding a certain item. Almost all have horrible stats. I can't even see a reason of why they were added. To be cute? Hardly. Igglybluff looks like it's going to crawl down your throat and devour your soul.
Old July 5, 2013, 11:19:59 PM
Kyurem

Oh, I almost forgot, Budew. I spend more time training Budew to evolve into Roselia than any other part of Pokémon Diamond. It's annoying and stupid. And by the time it evolves into Roselia, it's missed the chance to learn some good moves. D:

Last edited by GrassPokemonFTW; July 5, 2013 at 11:20:13 PM.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:03:58 AM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
Oh, I almost forgot, Budew. I spend more time training Budew to evolve into Roselia than any other part of Pokémon Diamond. It's annoying and stupid. And by the time it evolves into Roselia, it's missed the chance to learn some good moves. D:
Isn't Budew technically a baby Pokémon?
Old July 6, 2013, 06:28:10 AM
Haxorus

Flygon for reasons already mentioned
Gyarados got weaker
And on the flipside, I wasn't expecting the amounts of pure ownage Ho-OH and Lugia have in HG/SS.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:57:18 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 View Post
Isn't Budew technically a baby Pokémon?
Technically speaking, yes. But regardless it sure made the mono-Grass run of Diamond really difficult, especially since the only attacking moves it learned was Absorb and Mega Drain.
Old July 25, 2013, 08:54:54 AM
Regigigas

Uhm, Mightyena. I really, really love its design (I like it better than Houdoom) but it's stats are so meager. It's a derp. Though I do like that it got Moxie now.

Girafarig - Love the name. Palindrome! I also like its design. Stats, not so much. And honestly, I think it deserves an evo. It doesn't learn Hyper Beam.

Arbok/Seviper - :/ When will we get a snake Pokemon that'll be used in higher tiers? Not counting Contrary Serperior.

Solrock/Lunatone - I like the idea! Their stats pass for where they are, but it leaves a desire for something more. Personally, I like their dual type, despite it being a really bad dual type.

This is what I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. Others mentioned are Flygon and Machamp.
Old July 26, 2013, 03:32:51 PM
Zoroark

I'd say Tarous (sorry if I misspelled that) but he is acctualy usable. I'll say Buffolant. Its like a Tarous but not as good as it. I wish it was better. I also agree with Flygon, it could be better. Again, sorry if I misspelled anything.
Old July 26, 2013, 06:07:52 PM
Kyurem

I just recalled, Glalie. It's the jack of all trades with base 80 stats across the board, but master of none, as it's basically outclassed in almost every aspect. It's beaten out physically by things like Beartic and Weavile, defensively by Walrein and Rotom, and in speed by its counterpart, Froslass, along with Cryogonal.