Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Victory Road Network Support

Notices

Victory Road Network Support Suggestions? Errors? Comments? Questions?

Search this Thread
Old June 17, 2010, 07:24:39 AM
Volcarona

Unhappy What's considered spam? Details please.

Just recently, a thread of mine was locked and called spam. I had no clue that it could be interpreted as spam. The Spirit of Time and I got into a heated argument about it and now I want to know what's spam and what's not, down to the last detail, so I can avoid making the same mistake again.

Spirit said that if I spam the debate thread again, I'll get an infraction, and I don't want one because of some thread which I was certain wasn't spam. Problem is that I don't know what's spam and what's not.

If someone could fill me in on all the details, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; June 17, 2010 at 07:25:12 AM.
Old June 17, 2010, 07:30:28 AM
Giratina

What thread was it?

The real meaning of spam is supposed to be Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages..
Old June 17, 2010, 08:19:03 AM
Giratina

I believe you're talking about the thread in the debate board about your dreams. My opinion is that it should not have been locked, and is not. However, it's not really a debate, so it shouldn't have been in that board. Spirit could have simply moved it to General Chat, which would be much better in my opinion. Why he didn't is totally beyond me, you clearly put a lot of effort in to that thread. If I were a full moderator I would unlock and move it. Unfortunately, however, I can't. *Hint hint*

Last edited by Ningamer; June 17, 2010 at 08:20:16 AM.
Old June 17, 2010, 08:20:22 AM
Kyurem

SPAM boils down to anything posted somewhere it shouldn't be. A post irrelevant to a thread is spam, and a thread irrelevant to a forum is spam. There is a spam forum, /b/uizel, where things aren't actually spam because they belong there.

For your particular instance, what you posted wasn't a debate, but just a general "yes/no/maybe". A debate is something controversial, something where you argue, where you are tempted to call the other person an idiot (or usually worse). Where you disagree or agree at your heart. Meanwhile, the "Nintendo" forum would have threads that are about Nintendo, nothing more and nothing less, and so on.
Old June 17, 2010, 11:09:54 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
I believe you're talking about the thread in the debate board about your dreams. My opinion is that it should not have been locked, and is not. However, it's not really a debate, so it shouldn't have been in that board. Spirit could have simply moved it to General Chat, which would be much better in my opinion. Why he didn't is totally beyond me, you clearly put a lot of effort in to that thread. If I were a full moderator I would unlock and move it. Unfortunately, however, I can't. *Hint hint*
I already explained to him that I don't have the ability to move threads. I already asked him to copy the thread and move it to /buizel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
SPAM boils down to anything posted somewhere it shouldn't be. A post irrelevant to a thread is spam, and a thread irrelevant to a forum is spam. There is a spam forum, /b/uizel, where things aren't actually spam because they belong there.

For your particular instance, what you posted wasn't a debate, but just a general "yes/no/maybe". A debate is something controversial, something where you argue, where you are tempted to call the other person an idiot (or usually worse). Where you disagree or agree at your heart. Meanwhile, the "Nintendo" forum would have threads that are about Nintendo, nothing more and nothing less, and so on.
This explains my point. Thank you FreezWarp.
Old June 17, 2010, 01:01:17 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
I already asked him to copy the thread and move it to /buizel.
It took me until now to realize that you weren't referring to future posts.

I may have misinterpreted what you said the first time when you said

Quote:
Make another one in /buizel section.
I thought you were referring to future posts at the time, that's why I got upset. I thought that you locked my thread and that was that, instead of moving it to where it should be.

By the way, thanks to whoever moved and unlocked it. I'll be sure to change the title discover that I can't change my thread titles on VR, while on other sites I can.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; June 17, 2010 at 01:04:30 PM.
Old June 18, 2010, 10:41:25 AM
Regigigas

I have a question: To what point are we allowed to curse on the forums? Can we just censor it, or do we have to avoid it entirely?
Old June 18, 2010, 11:18:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
I have a question: To what point are we allowed to curse on the forums? Can we just censor it, or do we have to avoid it entirely?
Cursing is one of the areas for which I have a difficult time laying down hard rules. In a truly "perfect" forum, nobody would see the need to curse unless quoting or within areas where it is encouraged. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and, because this is a Pokémon forum, I believe it is best for there to at least be a little bit of censorship on the words used. I don't think we need a calm discussion about EVs interjected by someone who can't get the ****ing pieces of **** to work, so he calls them every **** **********ing name he can think of.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 18, 2010 at 11:19:24 AM.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:34:09 PM
Giratina

I don't think that thread should be in the /b/uizel board. It really should be in general chat, if anywhere. It's not spam enough to be /b/uizel-worthy, as it actually has some depth and is conversation-worthy. If it was something like "LOL EYE HAD A DREEM", then it should be in /b/uizel. But it's not. Case closed.
Old June 19, 2010, 03:09:04 AM
Giratina

All my posts
Old June 19, 2010, 07:57:36 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Cursing is one of the areas for which I have a difficult time laying down hard rules. In a truly "perfect" forum, nobody would see the need to curse unless quoting or within areas where it is encouraged. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and, because this is a Pokémon forum, I believe it is best for there to at least be a little bit of censorship on the words used. I don't think we need a calm discussion about EVs interjected by someone who can't get the ****ing pieces of **** to work, so he calls them every **** **********ing name he can think of.
There isn't a built in censor system within the forums? (Never noticed because I never swore here)
Old June 19, 2010, 10:00:25 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
There isn't a built in censor system within the forums? (Never noticed because I never swore here)
There is. What, did you think I would censor my own ****ing cursing? Hell no.

^That was meant as a demonstration of the censor feature, btw^
Old June 19, 2010, 05:47:12 PM
Administrator

Alright, I just cleaned up 7 posts from a rather short topic in General. The topic asks about names, yet half the posts were discussing fake names. As that is considered off-topic, that would be an okay example of spam (not the best, though).
Old June 21, 2010, 10:13:27 PM
Regigigas

Spam: Opening a thread called HELP PLZ asking a question found on one of the other threads.
Not Spam: Asking a question ON a thread that relates to it.