Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Old December 11, 2014, 01:01:59 PM
Rayquaza

What I did for love - It's time for May's next contest and May plans on using her new Eevee this time. Brock meets a Pokemon Breader who likes his Bonsly and of course he falls madly in love with her. To impress her Brock decides to enter the pokemon contest. May's appeal goes off wonderfully as does Brock's despite his trouble not flirting with Nurse Joy. Both of them end up in the finals together and Eevee manages to win by running on the water gun like it's Jesus or something. How many battles in row is this where May manages to win last minute despite getting her butt kicked for the entire first half? The woman decides to take a character from earlier in as a student because Brock did too good to get any attention from her.

3.5/5

Three Jynx and a Baby - With a title like that I am seriously not very interested. The Smoochum in this episode of course uses its cuteness for evil. However Team Rocket manage to steal it anyways. Three Jynx arrive in the city the group is in and start freezing stuff. They try to tell them that Team Rocket stole Smoochum with telepathy but since this isn't a movie they show them in there heads. Jynx attack Ash thinking he's helping Team Rocket but they eventually come around to help. Also Smoochum evolves. What a dull episode.

2/5

Talking a Good Game - All right now it's time for Ash to take on the Battle Tower and the Frontier Brain is a trainer who can speak to Pokemon. Apparently Ash can't learn her name without a pokemon appearing to attack and Annabel having to ration things. Also Team Rocket attacks and are easily defeated. It turns out Anabel is actually a girl! She's also not going to reveal she's the frontier brain until the group arrives at the battle Tower. Ash challenges Anabel but easily looses because of her strong connection with her pokemon but at least he was able to take out one of her pokemon by running into a confused Pikachu yes seriously.

4/5

Second Times the Charm - Ash decides it will be best if uses his training to get closer to his pokemon so he can focus on his pokemon over power. However Beedrill attack! Seriously though I am incredibly sick of seeing Beedrill attack. In the process of training of course Team Rocket attacks, oh man never before have been more sick of saying that. Can he please get back to the real plot? Of course they're defeated, we then get a funny scene where May and Ash try to use there thoughts to command pokemon as well. Afterwards half way into the episode we finally get our battle. Corphish beats Alakazam by recalling it and sending it back out to cure its confusion, I'm pretty sure that should be considered cheating. Tauros and Metagross are both taken out in a tie so it's time for Anabel's favorite pokemon Espeon. In a clever move, Ash uses Pikachu to cause a black out to distact Espeon and win with a volt tackle. Now it's time for my favorite part of this entire series, the battle pyramid! I love this battle but did we really need a Team Rocket interlude?

4.5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 11, 2014 at 01:51:53 PM.
Old December 14, 2014, 05:38:54 PM
Rayquaza

Pokemon Ranger! Deoxys - Crisis - I'm just going to make this one big review since two parters lie this usually have the same people working on it. When heading back to Pewter City for the Battle Pyranid an Aura Bori Alice appears and that can mean only one thing! Deoxys! This some how causes all technology to fail even though that's not how it worked in the Deoxys movie but whatever. Solidad shows up and is all like I don't have time for your garbage Brock it's pretty funny. Of course Solidad's capture syler is still some how working. Deoxys appears and Max some how forms some sort of psychic link with it for some reason. I like how Destiny Deoxys is actually mentioned when they're talking about the cause of this.Max's strange connection with Deoxys causes him to want to follow Solidad, seriously what can be so dangerous about all this? This of course causes the entire group to be involved.After a drawn out scene of Deoxys trying to communicate with the group it eventually uses Meowth as vessel to claim he's scared. Why is he scared? Because it is very cold in space. Well duh it's cold in space just ask Khan. Then Deoxys just leaves with Max and Meowth and we're left on a cliff hanger. In the next part it's revealed Max and Meowth were taken to a weird dimension that is Deoxys' room. It's also revealed Deoxys hated traveling in space until it crashed onto earth and was lonely but too afraid to leave the cave. I kind of like this idea I think it's pretty good. The group plus Team Rocket explores the cave for Max and Meowth leading for them to call out all of there pokemon which leads for Deoxys to leave its dimension and speak backwards. The meteor gives a massive energy build up which is giving off solar flares and will soon explode. Um SCiEncE!? I don't know enough about astronomy to know if this could work. Everyones pokemon must attack Deoxys so Solidad can capture it so it can stop attacking. They eventually save Meowth and Max and Solidad captures Deoxys right after. Deoxys then leaves to see other pokemon. Unlike previous specials this one was really good, great continuity and pacing I love it.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 14, 2014 at 05:59:08 PM.
Old December 15, 2014, 12:38:20 PM
Rayquaza

All that glitters is not Golden - When camping on a lake May and Ash come across a golden Sudowoodo. Oddly enough Ash decides to try to catch it but it rejects him. They tell Brock about it and oddly enough he doesn't believe him. The group decides to have lunch in a western cafe with cowboys that obsessed with the idea of golden pokemon. This causes them to be forced to leave the cafe and of course Team Rocket over hears.The character of the day is the actual owner of the Sudowoodo who doesn't seem to want to return to its trainer. I like how Team Rocket is in this episode, they're very over the top which I'm pretty okay with. Brock uses his Bronsly to communicate with Sudowoodo but it runs off instead.It's revealed that the trainer experimented on Sudowoodo to make it no longer weak water but he badly wants to reverse. Seriously someone who is terrible enough to experiment on there pokemon like that doesn't deserve it. Of course the trainer sacrifices himself to save Sudowoodo and the day is saved. Pretty lame episode.

2/5

New Plot - Odd Lot - May is going for her fifth ribbon and of course yet again this is the last contest before the Grand Festival. Agh why? Creating tention for the same thing yet again! At least last time it was really set up but this is really annoying I understand why they went away with it next saga. May is clearly nervous over all this. Also Harley shows up calls the group May and her boy toys. So um is May a pimp?? Is that what Harley is implying!? However Harley already has five ribbons so there is no need for him to compete in the contest. May and Ash decide to use this as an opportunity to train and seeing Harley made May more intense, so seeing him actually helped making her forget her nervousness. I like how James sold all of his bottle caps to get Jessie a new dress and Jessie says he's just jealous he can't dress like this. Even though he's dressed up as a woman a lot. Harley decides to give his pokemon to Jessie to take out May because in a funny flashback a girl that looked like May ate her last octopus snack which made him angry. I like this continuity flup since it does make sense for Harley to have another reason to hate May so deliberately now. James using Harley's Ariados and rather then going on stage and exposing this Ash stupidly confronts it head on. However this manages to backfire when Combusken lights Ariados' webs on fire. Of course despite messing up May makes it to the next round.

4/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 15, 2014 at 01:01:49 PM.
Old December 16, 2014, 01:07:28 PM
Rayquaza

Going for Choke - James and Meowth trap the group by disguising themselves and leading them into a dark room, where telephone is. How is the group still alive if they're able to fall for this stupid scheme!? Fortunately drew was some how able to see through this and frees them with his Flygon. However Team Rocket makes a pitfall and traps the group yet again. But Brock remembers for once he has a Forrtress and they manage to run into James and Harley above May. And *gasp* Jessebelle is Jessie! However because Drew is around Harley just er walks away. The final battle is Banette vs Squitle, however the battle ends in a draw so it's time to get into over time and May manges to pull through. So May now has her final ribbon and the Grand Festival is coming up. I really like how the battle in this episode really stood out.

4/5

The Ole' Berate and Switch! - The episode starts off with what else but Team Rocket failing. This leads to a really harsh argument and the ultimate break up of Team Rocket. YAY this is already working to become m favorite episode. The group agrees to visit the Pewter City gym before going to the Battle Pyramid. However the group decides to attend a Pokemon battle tournament. This is of course a scheme run by Cassidy and *****. But they don't seem to question why this Nurse Joy's mouth isn't moving. Of course the Team Rocket group end up going to the tournament as well and run into Cassidy. James ends up joining Cassidy, and OMG the subtext between Jessie and Cassidy is getting weird. Max uncovers this Team Rocket plan. I like how the group confuses James for Butch and they get his name correct this time. All the Team Rocket grunts unveil themselves and it turns to an all out er not brawl more of a mess. But it is nice seeing Ash and the group talk back to the grunts about how what they're doing is wrong. I really like this moment considering how little the group are ever able to gain an upper hand on the evil teams. I also like how Cassidy tries with James while Botch tries doing it with Jessie and also fails.Of coursed James, Jessie and Mewoth end up regrouping. While Cassidy and Butch try to get away they end up falling into pit traps. This is quite annoying but I really don't care. They try to take the pokeballs and of course they end up failing. I guess this was a pretty good Team Rocket episode but I'm kind of annoyed by how easily they get back together I meab they end up arguing at the end of the episode anyways.

4/5
Old December 17, 2014, 12:36:44 PM
Rayquaza

Grating Spaces! - Brock's parents being the terrible parents they are leave on a vacation leaving all of Brock's siblings on there on, wow what terrible parents. I like how the gym is still a complete mess from the last time, with all the bad paint and ribbons. Apparently Brock's Onix evolved into Steelix. Ash sums up how the gym looks perfectly, like an art gallary for lunatics. I forgot that Brock's entire family also has young bloods disease. Jesse and James receive Giant Aggron and Charizard from Team Rocket's Delibird for some reason. Team Rocket disguised as gym remodelers challenges the group to a double battle and Ash and Brock accept. However there isn't a lot of tension here since as we saw Team Rocket use strong pokemon just two episodes ago and they still failed. While the double battle is really awesome of course Jessie and James end up arguing and revealing themselves. Aren't you glad these two decided to stay together? Also Meowth is caught stealing the gym's pokemon. I like how at the end of the episode Brock puts his parents back in there place, clearly angry it's a really great moment. Heck this is probably the greatest Brock episode in this saga it's always awesome seeing his family. It's completely understandable for him to be angry plus his Onix evolved!

5/5

Battling the Enemy Within - The group arrives at the Battle Pyramid and Ash is quite confident. However they end up falling into a trap which leads to ancient ruins. I like how Ash is clearly confident about wrapping everything up already. The ruins are really well designed with ancient art and Indiana Jones traps. They are saved by Brandon who reveals these are the ruins dedicated to Pokelantis whose evil king tried using Ho-oh for evil only to disappear. Ash being as stupid as ever runs of and falls into the kings chamber picking up an orb expecting to see Ho-oh. Instead Ash gets processed by the King of Pokelantis. The way the guy acts is kind of unintentionally funny, how he just awkwardly set fourth demands and acts like a complete jerk. Brendan ends up challenging Ash to battle and if we wins err well I have no idea. The king uses Ash's mind and battle knowledge and while still using incredibly cheap tactics. I like how they cut between the two in order to show how the two may have some things in common. These brutal attacks are really well thought out I love it. While Ash looses, he still tries using Pikachu while Brendan tries to help as well. I love this moment between Ash and friends preventing him. This leads to the king returning to his ball. I like Brendan, while he may start off as unlikable he's clearly determined to help out Ash still. Brendan tells Ash he wasn't defeated by the spirit he was defeated by himself because of his foolish arrogance. However it is time for the Battle Pyramid to move as it flies off! That is awesome! As if to top that Ash decides he wants to show Brandon he's not as foolish as he think and sees Ho-oh played to my favorite song Route 27 thus creating my favorite moment of all time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS EPISODE. The Team Rocket interludes, the pacing, the plot, Brandon, and how the supporting cast is used! This is probably also my favorite episode in this entire show.

∞/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 17, 2014 at 01:04:54 PM.
Old December 18, 2014, 12:25:37 PM
Rayquaza

Slaking Kong - It's time for the Grand Festival so the group is now traveling to the grand festival. However a bunch of Aipom come by and steal Ash's Hat and May's ribbon. It turns out a bunch of monkey pokemon are stealing stuff for a Slaking robot that's being controlled by Team Rocket. Okay this plot is pretty awesome, they try to lure the monkey pokemon away and this leads for Ash to confront the pokemon who stole his hat and ends up saving its life. Plus it shows how much Ash has changed since he climbed up a tree to fight a primeape to get his hat back he even left Aipom keep his hat. However May still needs her ribbons back. In a funny moment, the giant Slaking grabs May and climbs to the top of a plateau. Only for Slaking to be knocked over by Swellow's Aerial Ace. All the monkey pokemon end up getting defeating the giant robot. Plus as there leaving Aipom leaves her hat behind for Ash. This episode might be a surprise favorite for me.

5/5

May, We Harley Drew'd Ya! - The group has arrived at the Indigo Plateau just in time for the Grand Festival. May's mom is too busy to come, I do like how they at least reference her. The Aipom from the last episode apparently followed Ash and is stealing everyone's hats as well. It's during this chaos we run into Drew and Solidad. Solidad despite the only contest arc will go on to become a very popular character even being part of May's rivals to show up later on. Solidad is actually friends with Drew plus she knows Brock because she's from Pewter City. Solidad reveals she knows Drew from his first contest who he lost too and even cried when he first lost. I like how we don't actually see this but Solidad talks about it. Solidad reveals that while Drew is confident and stubborn the only one he seems to want to listen to is May. Solidad is a total Contestshipper clearly. Also Harley leaves a purple rose for May who wears a giant Black ranch coat until the appeals rounds start, oh dear god I hope he isn't planning on streaking. May's appeal goes off well as does Solidad's. I like the interaction between May and Drew during her appeal, how Drew is willing to admit she's better then him and in turn May tells Drew about how he cried. In a hilarious moment May reveals himself dressed up just like May. It's revealed that Solidad is friends with Harley as well because he is such a unique person and his appeal goes great as well. And of course everyone of note makes it into the next round. I'm so excited for the next round.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 18, 2014 at 01:01:59 PM.
Old December 19, 2014, 05:11:43 PM
Rayquaza

Thinning the Hoard - It's revealed that Drew has an Absol and its appeal goes off great. We then see May's contest rivals watching the GF, that's right all two of them. Ash is still having trouble with a Aipom and decides must catch it now he fails but he gets his hat back. May's appeal goes over great. The group then finds out that he's yelling at Absol over getting it's attacks correct as if he's not well connected with his pokemon. Solidad and May have a good talk then Ash and Brock have a good talk with Drew. Of course Harley is May's first opponent in the second round. Harley's Cacturne is taken out very easily but May still has to deal with a strong Wigglytuff. Aipom shows up again but she's interested in the contest. Not to distant foreshadowing! The battle feels pretty rushed but it's still okay. However that's okay because Harley has a minimal role GF the real lead is Drew vs May.

5/5

Channeling the Battle Zone - The battle between Drew and May is awesome, both pokemon get back and fourth with no clear winner throughout. However May manages to pull through by having Combusken learn Overheat and using Sky Uppercut moving onto the semifinals finally getting her first victory against Drew the person who beat her in the GF it is very satisfying. However it's time for the Semifinals against Solidad but Aipom runs off before it can start. Aipom clearly got pumped from the battle and wants on as well and Ash finally catches it. I like how this huge crowd watches him doing this even Max questions what's going on. Also Scott then shows up. May's battle against Solidad goes very poorly because May's stratagy is just like Ash's of using flashy attacks which leads to Solidad to take advantage. This is agood parallel to point out and it's great set up for what's to come. I love how the group confronts May telling how proud they are of her and she ends up crying over her loss anyways. It's powerful character moment which I love. Solidad ends up winning the entire thing. May says goodbye to Drew as he leaves but this isn't the last we'll see of him. Despite the pace this GF was even better then the last one.

5/5
Old December 22, 2014, 12:37:27 PM
Rayquaza

Aipom and Circumstance - Aipom is jealous of Pikachu and runs off. There's some sort of ceremony going on in the area and the winner gets a crown. Of course Aipom steals the crown which means he will be the king of the village for getting it. Seriously this kind of situation is why this idea is so stupid. The crown in turn ends up stuck on Aipom's head. Ash is so dedicated to Aipom though he's willing to wait an entire year even though he's already so close to the Battle Pyramid. After an incredibly drawn out battle with Team Rocket bland character of the day has Aipom eat a Belue Berry and its sourness allows the crown to be removed. And thus the bland character of the day gets to be the king. This is a really weird and stupid episode.

2/5

Strategy Tomorrow - Comedy Tonight - This is yet another absolutely terrible episode as if the appearance of an annoying pokemon isn't enough. A girl with a Chatot wants to be the best pokemon comedian and there is a special contest where the winner gets to appear on a talk show. However I'm not sure if she's supposed to not be funny or it's just the poor translation of Japanese comedy. The other problem is Chatot keeps running away but returns the next week. Team Rocket then steals Chatot for reason I seriously don't care about anymore. It revealed Chatot keeps running off to visit sick girls in a hospitalin the middle of no where. What parents would be cruel enough to put there children in a hospital in the middle of no where! Of course one the sick girls is angry the Chatot will have to stop coming because you know this whole thing is all about her. The group agrees to put on a preforming contest, Brock even does Brock's paradise one more time. The sick girl however refuses to come out. Max ends up convincing her otherwise. Team Rocket sows up and does what's supposed to be a bad comedy routine but I have no idea because I don't understand Japanese humor. The kids are impressed by seeing a real pokemon battle and the sick girl and all the other kids say goodbye. This episode was just like the previous one boring and stupid.

2/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 22, 2014 at 01:02:17 PM.
Old December 24, 2014, 12:21:06 PM
Rayquaza

Duels of the Jungle - Oh boy yet another terrible filler with a Generation IV pokemon. This time it's Weavile that attacks Aipom. Aipom is brought to a near by Pokemon Forrest Ranger's Cabin. Also Jesse wants to catch Weavile. The group tries to find Weavile by having Pikachu sniff for it. So apparently Pikachu is a dog now. While Jesse dresses Meowth like a Weavile however Weavile refuses to come with him being territorial. It's revealed a Weavile came to take the other Weaviles territory which is why the other Weavile left to become big and strong. Good thing Meowth is here to translate or else this would be really confusing. But the Sneasal from the colony want the original Weavile to return because the old one is evil. I like how Ash encourages him to fight back and not be a coward. There you go one character moment, now our heroes aren't completely worthless and we have characterization how wonderful. Of course the older Weavile defeats the older one. They make truths and head back. Aipom is all healed so it's time to one again head back to the battle pyramid.

3/5

Overjoyed - The group has finally yet again arrived at the Battle Pyramid and Ash is quite confident he will win. It's here a Nurse Joy who is apparently a fan of May and Ash. However Brandon is too busy for a battle so the group stay in the Pokemon Center. The Pokecenter, has hot springs, a battle stage and a contest stage. Since May wants to try out the Hot Springs Ash battles the Nurse Joy instead. It's Chansey vs Corphish since both pokemon are equally weak Joy wins. This turns into a great moment where Brock points out he should use this battle to learn and that battles can't just be won with sheer power. Team Rocket then tries to steal Chansey and of course that goes no where. I like how while Ash goes off to see Brandon and Brock takes care of Chansey May ponders on what she should be doing. Also Brandon tells Ash he will be facing a Registeel. Ash sends Aipom back to Oak and it doesn't take it well while Ash gets his Torkoal back. While Torkoal is able to hold its own against Registeel it's not enough. Despite Brandon still praises Ash for trying to learn from his battle, while May is happy to see this she's still worried about herself. Great set up, great battles and great character development.

5/5

Unbeatable Sight of Seeing - After loosing again Ash feels like that he is run into a brick wall. We cut to May and it's revealed she can't help but feel the same way, seeing Ash loosing reminded her of her loss and how much she has learned from Ash. May has even called back Beatifly and Skitty. Max suggests May and Ash battle but May refuses claiming she's nowhere near as good. Oak then arrives with banner from all of Ash's pokemon , a lunch box from Ash's Mom, a fishing lure from Misty and a post card from Gary from Sinnoh where he is doing his research. Thinking about Gary reignites Ash's hope in a near perfect moment because keep in mind Ash beating Gary was his last high point. Also Drew then shows up and tells her about how May is clearly thinking about her loss to Solidad and focus on her weakness. Since there is such a nice contest hall here Drew and May agree to battle. But of course Team Rocket have to show up fortunately Harley shows up and uncovers them. The battle is a double battle between May's Beautifly and Combusken and Drew's Roselia and Butterfree. Also really? Out of all the new pokemon for Drew to get it's a Butterfree yet another Flying/Bug type for Drew? May manages to loose to Drew quite easily. Drew decides to go off to Johto revealing Solidad is heading there as well while Harley will be going as well. Harley calls out Jesse for not going to Johto as well and that she should end her loosing streak once and for all. May however decides she might pass though. May ends up saying bye to Drew as May continues to get more character development and her arc comes full circle as comes to terms that her Ash are trying to learn on there own.

5/5

Pinch Healing - Ash is trying to come to term to find his battle style. But oh no Nurse Joy has passed out sick from working so hard! Of course Brock volunteers to take her place. Of course Team Rocket sets events into motion that leads to a bus accident where a bunch of pokemon are. Of course Team Rocket wants to steal all of them. Ash goes off to look for Bagon, while Scott tries repairing the bus he talks with Brandon's assitant and Brock is with Oak who is taking care of injured Wooper and Oak tells Brock that he has grown a lot during the journey. All these moments are great I wish more fillers were like them because it adds more character to everyone. Ash manages to get the Bagon but it is manages to become sick suffering physical and emotional damage. It's revealed that both Max and May have learned a lot of taking care of pokemon from Brock, they don't say his name directly but I think it's pretty clear. Team Rocket then shows up of course and steals the pokemon. To make matters worse Bagon's fever has gotten worse but Nurse Joy manages to pull through and help. Of course Team Rocket is defeated and Bagon gets better and Scott has repaired the bus. Also Brandon found the pokemon he's looking for so he's on his way back.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 24, 2014 at 01:22:40 PM.
Old December 26, 2014, 01:11:22 PM
Rayquaza

Gathering a Gang of Four - Ash decides the best way to find his own strategy would be if he calls upon his Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charizard and get back to his routes. He figures the best way to do this would be going off on his own and camping. They have to do a bunch of stuff together like, creating a bed, getting berries, starting a fire, and flashbacks. Of course Team Rocket has to come out of no where and attack and easily get defeated complete with fourth wall braking for some reason. The dubbers seriously love changing Team Rocket's dialogue. Ash ends up running into Brandon seeing him come up with a strategy to defeat Team Rocket. Brandon decides to challenge Ash to a 4 on 4 battle. It also turns out that if Ash defeats Brandon he can become a Frontier Brain also Scott is the owner of the Battle Frontier. However Charizard narrowly looses to Dusclops.

5/5

Pace The Final Frontier - The battle with Brandon continues to be epic with great attacks and strategy. Also we get Team Rocket interludes, really pointless interludes. The final battle is Regice vs Pikachu, Pikachu manages to win. THIS MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. No matter how many wins Pikachu will be given it will always lose a battle to prove how strong someone else's at the cost of Ash's pride. Also next season it nearly looses to a Magicarp. I like how Oak, Jenny and Joy are all watching the battle providing a change for the commentary. While Scott offers him a position of Frontier Brain, Ash decides he would much rather travel because that's just how he rolls but nice knowing the position is left open for him even while continuing his journey.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 26, 2014 at 01:15:48 PM.
Old December 29, 2014, 12:33:57 PM
Rayquaza

Once More with Reeling - So now that Ash finished his Battle Frontier quests it's time yet again for the group to go separate ways. The town with the port is holding an unofficial contest and Ash decides to sign up as well. Ash decides to enter with Pikachu in appeals and Sceptile in battling and May chooses to enter Eevee for Appeals and Combusken for battles. May has gained quite a few fans as a coordinator. I'd like to point out it is pretty cool seeing Ash participate in a contest appeal. Since this is an unofficial contest Ash and May go straight to the finals. the rules here make no sense at all. Of course before Team Rocket then shows up to steal pokemon. They're easily defeated but Combusken ends up evolving into a Blaziken. This leads to a contest battle between Blaziken and Sceptile which is quite amazing especially this shows off how far May has come since the beginning of this saga. Sceptile's overgrow is activated while Blaziken's Blaze is as well. We're left on a cliff hanger over won and I can't stand this tension.

5/5

Home is where the start is - How do you create a perfect ending a saga? Making this. The battle of course ends as a tie and since this an unofficial contest in a tie and since this is an unofficial contest there's no over time so May and Ash both decide to split the medal. Well isn't that just convenient. After the contest the group has dinner May decides to announce she's decides she wants to enter the Johto pokemon contest by herself. She reveals she wants to be on her own because she wants to be less dependent on the others so she can find her own way as well. I like how Max is clearly upset so Ash decides to talk to him promising to one day battle with him. I love this moment, it's my favorite Max moment of the entire saga and May deciding to off on her own is also a terrific moment of character growth. May and Max both leave on there own while Brock goes back to Pewter City and Ash goes to Pallet town. Of course now that Ash is off on his own Team Rocket decides to attack however instead they go after an Electivire. It turns out this Electivire belongs to Gary! Of course Electivire easily defeats Team Rocket and Ash's pokedex has no data on it. Gary decides to head back to his grandpa's lab while Ash continues his journey back to Pallet. Ash arrives home to an empty house so in turn he goes to Oak's lab only to be greeted with a surprise. Ash immediately challenges Electivire to battle stupidly with Pikachu who both know all the same attacks. Just like the last time Ash battled Gary at the end of a saga he looses despite winning the Battle Frontier. But this battle is still really important for the next saga. Ash of course hearing Gary talk about Sinnoh he decides to head off there. For a 10 year old Pokemon researcher Gary sure acts like an adult. Ash leaves behind all of his pokemon while Oak gives him a new Pokedex. However Aipom runs off to join Ash with of course Team Rocket on the boat.

5/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 29, 2014 at 01:01:42 PM.
Old January 1, 2015, 07:07:53 PM
Rayquaza

Character Development    
Ash gets the most character development this season over probably any other. While he may have had the typical hero stuff for most of the beginning it comes to fruition during battling the enemy within. It's established that his wreck less personality allowed him to get possessed by the king of pokelantis. It's here Ash actually questions himself of whether he really just some kid, while he has doubts he sees Ho-oh again and decides to have a rematch even after loosing again. Despite loosing twice he gets a spark reading a letter from Gary reminding give up because after all Ash did beat Gary in the pokemon league which was the biggest achievement at the time. I love how Ash goes with the idea of going back to his routes by calling upon his original Kanto starters again even though it doesn't really come to much. I can totally understand why he'd turn down the offer to become a Frontier Brain, as much as he loves battling he just happens to enjoy traveling and meeting new people and pokemon more. I like this idea, you can't have a protagonist journey for nine years and just suddenly get sick of what he's doing out of nowhere. Seeing his battle with Gary again was also pretty cool but it's more in the name of set up for next season. As for his pokemon they also get a fair share of screen time. Pikachu learns Volt Tackle an awesome move that will drives fans like me crazy when it's deleted. Pikachu also defeats a Regice which I'm going to say again is pointless. Swellow and Corphish had that one frontier brain battle but didn't do much else the entire season, Swellow began the trend of the flying type having no personality this season. Grovyle surprised many this season by finally evolving, at the time many people though Charizard would be the only fully evolved starter but I'm glad that didn't turn out to be true. In hindsight it was kind of a cop out to have Sceptile unable to use grass moves after evolving as if Ash needs to try EVEN harder if he wants powerful pokemon but at least it was a lot more brief then Charizard plus it was nice having some pokemon go through an arc this season. Phanpy also evolves into Donphan, I like how even though it evolved it still has the jolly personality it had as a baby plus it gets a nice Frontier Brain battle. Ash's new capture this season is Aipom who is quite trouble maker and welcomed addition to Ash's team and I totally glad it snuck on the boat since even it took up WAY to much screen time this season it never had any serious battles. It was also awesome to see the return of Snorlax, Heracross, Tauros, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard this season but not much to say about there appearances. May's main character development this season about her leaving the group and how she needs to learn to be more self reliant. And unlike when Misty left this was well set up throughout the entire season, she learns early on Drew and Harley are heading for Johto. She even regains her hope to being top coordinator after running into Harley and Drew. It's also terrific to see Dawn finally beat Drew even if she looses to him soon afterwards. As for her pokemon she only gets one evolution in Combusken. Combusken evolving into Blaziken was a huge surprise at the time no one thought that the pokemon that Ash lost to in the Silver league would end being owned by a main character but it totally happened! May also gets an egg that hatches into an Eevee, that's basically it though it seriously had more personality as an egg then a pokemon. At Squirtle and Munchlax made up for that, I especially liked how they continued to have Max paired up with Munchlax. This season Max participates in Pokemon Orienteering with Munchlax and looses, has some weird connection with a Deoxys this season and my favorite moment. The moment where Max realizes his journey with the group is over and how upset he is my favorite moment with the character and I seriously do hope we see him again some day. Brock actually does more then Max this season with him returning home to the Pewter gym, Mudkip finally evolving into Marshtomp only to be used twice after evolving and never seen again, the writers remembering he still had a Forretress and the capture Bonsly. Brock capturing Bonsly was a good move since we finally have Brock the pokemon breeder actually take care of a an actual baby pokemon. He also participates in a pokemon contest, that was also cool. Seriously though if this season never happened odds are the writers would have stopped using Brock but he's going to stick around for one more saga after this one. Finally there's Team Rocket, it seriously got to the point this season where the writers were as sick of them as I was so I'm just going to be brief. James swaps out his Chimecho for Mime Jr in an episode that shows off what a great person he can really be which I find totally believable seeing him like this is probably my favorite of the "James Trilogy". Jesse makes no captures or much of note other then failing in pokemon contests. Also Meowth is Meowth. Also this is the the season where they yet again change there motto.  

Final Thoughts    
So that was the Advanced Generation saga and overall it was a MASSIVE improvement over the previous ones. All of the characters had a set goal in mind with a satisfying conclusion for each character and an arc that makes sense. It also introduced the idea of recurring rivals outside of Gary, contests, and a shifting supporting cast. All were really good since it allowed more stories to be told without filler after filler. The final season on it's own is probably the best because both May and Ash have great character arcs while the supporting cast also gets there best moments, Brock returning to Pewter City and Max sulking over saying goodbye. What this series left on was great the plots were well connected, the battles were also terrific the fallback I can say of this season is a few lacklaster fillers and how the contests and a couples of Frontier battles are rushed but other then that this season is the one I hold as a standard for what I expect of all future seasons. 

5/5

6 To watch
Home is Where the Start is
Kaboom with a View
Grating Spaces
Battling the Enemy within
Thinning the hoard
Unbeatable Sight of Seeing

3 To Skip
Three Jynx and a Baby
Aipom and Circumstance
Strategy Tomorrow Comedy Tonight