Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Old December 30, 2015, 10:15:08 AM
Kyurem

Ugh, Mewtwo was a pain to get, but I'm now down to only needing to connect with Arceus. It'll probably be a while and I'm going to wait until I have a full Level 100 team before I tackle the final mission.

So far, though I've been using several different teams, I've really liked using Ludicolo, Gastrodon, and Politoed on a team, as a rain-based team. I can make the weather rain immediately upon changing a floor, and attack multiple enemies at a time with Ludicolo's Surf, which would normally damage my allies, but Gastrodon's Storm Drain makes its Special Attack go up instead, and Politoed's Water Absorb will heal it a little. And, due to Ludicolo's Swift Swim, I get to use the move twice in a round. So Ludicolo ends up dealing TONS of damage, Gastrodon gains +2 Special Attack to back up its potent Water Pulse and Earth Power, and Politoed heals ~30 HP per use of Surf. Not to mention that Ludicolo's other moves, Energy Ball and Ice Beam, hit twice as well! And to top it all off, all Water moves become more powerful, so Ludicolo's Surf, Gastrodon's Water Pulse, and Politoed's infamous Hydro Pump are all strengthened. And I don't need to worry about setting up Rain Dance either because unlike in the main series, I'm not wasting my turn setting up since most enemies spawn so far away from me. Altogether it's a pretty tough strategy that has only really failed me against weather-negating opponents.

For the record my starter (Serperior now) is at Level 68, so I've got a ways to go. But some of my faster-leveling connections (the Flabébé family comes to mind) are already Level 100. It also seems that evolving does not affect base stats, so for those of you who would rather use Pikachu instead of Raichu, for example, there's nothing hindering you outside of a more shallow movepool (or not, in the case of Stone evolutions).

Old January 25, 2016, 12:29:53 PM
Administrator

So, after a good deal of playing and recruiting a lot of monsters, I have found a good way to break the game, as have many others.
  1. After completing the story, defeat Cobalion at Pledge Hill to acquire the Water Looplet.
  2. Empty your entire inventory into the Deposit Box, except the Water Looplet. You may also withdraw items like Joy Seeds and Sitrus Berries. If bringing many rare items, a Progress Device + is also recommended.
  3. Purchase a large quantity of vitamins (Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, Carbos) from Cofagrigus. You may also purchase Golden Bananas (+5 levels) and move-enhancing drinks.
  4. Take three Pokémon (two of which you wish to buff up) to Open Pass on the Water Continent.
  5. If using any move-enhancing drinks, switch to them as leader and have each of those two Pokémon use the move before throwing the drinks.
  6. Equip the Water Looplet to the extra Pokémon.
  7. Switch to that Pokémon as leader.
  8. Line all three members up (in a corridor, for instance).
  9. Throw each vitamin. Assuming the vitamin does not miss, both Pokémon will appreciate a stat boost.
  10. Use the Progress Device + before and after throwing anything really valuable (Joy Seeds, Golden Bananas, Sitrus Berries, move-enhancing drinks). Reset if one of those misses either Pokémon to get its full effect.
  11. Finish the dungeon. It's only four floors.
  12. Enjoy going around most of the game with fewer worries. Some later dungeons practically require doing this, however.
Old February 19, 2016, 01:45:38 PM
Charizard

I want to enjoy this game, but I'm pretty much stuck on a mission. I have to beat Salamence, but I can't even do that when I have Sylveon in my party. It feels as though I make no progress unless I do take a mission, but the Axew Mission is the only one I can take at the moment.

Any advice? I tried burning Salamence and trying to run away from him and that kinda worked but it didn't keep me away from him forever...

I'ma give myself a five, pretty good!
Old February 19, 2016, 03:39:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondEdge View Post
I want to enjoy this game, but I'm pretty much stuck on a mission. I have to beat Salamence, but I can't even do that when I have Sylveon in my party. It feels as though I make no progress unless I do take a mission, but the Axew Mission is the only one I can take at the moment.

Any advice? I tried burning Salamence and trying to run away from him and that kinda worked but it didn't keep me away from him forever...
Biggest thing is to stock up on Blast Seeds, they do 100 damage each and Salamence has 450HP. If you have any Pokemon that can cause a status like burn on paralyzed, it can help a bit too. Definitely a really annoying battle that early in the game, but once defeated he joins you as a powerful lvl 50 ally.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:06:18 PM
Administrator

Salamence is supposed to be really hard. Its purpose is to show you that brute force is not the solution this time around. Items are very important, particularly the new wand items. I suggest looking through what wands you've collected so far and trying them out. (I don't suggest Stayaway Wands for that particular mission, however.) Wands will be your bread and butter of later dungeons.

Another tip is to explore dungeons fully, even if there's nothing further on your mission list. You'll acquire more items and possibly gain a few extra levels. Try to hoard items when possible, and use them otherwise. Oran Berries temporarily boost your HP in addition to healing, and Elixirs are always handy. Vitamins in particular are broken. Don't sell anything except Fresh Apples, and when you do that, buy the regular ones from Kecleon.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; February 19, 2016 at 11:07:01 PM.

Tags
mystery dungeon, super mystery dungeon