Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 15, 2013, 02:29:39 PM
Regigigas

Default General activity.

As the years have gone by, I've noticed this forum has dropped in activity. By activity I mainly refer to posts since people do log in. I gotta ask, why is this? xD I can understand that right now there's school and stuff, but users do log in but there just aren't any posts. O.o
Old November 15, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
Kyurem

I really don't know. I still remember the summer of 2010, when there was about 200 users online a day.
Old November 15, 2013, 03:02:52 PM
Administrator

Yeah, activity has definitely dropped quite a bit in the last few years, even before I axed VRIM. I'm definitely quite accepting of ideas to increase activity.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:30:20 PM
Giratina

I remember when VR was party central. The amount of regulars has significantly dropped. I make it a mission to have at least 2 posts a day so I can beat Cat in the ranks (SO gonna do it! >: D) but I suppose others lack interest in the threads and don't feel like making their own.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:21:18 PM
Shaymin

I never have any good input on any topic.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:49:16 PM

When I first knew about victoryroad/floatzel.net forums, it was a new forum at the time. Cat was a new fond acquaintance so I was interested in what he was up to. When I joined Cat made me a forum moderator, which was a new experience for me, and I was on a team of other new mods. New people kept joining while I was also still new, so I was making more new acquaintances that I saw eye to eye with in terms of familiarity with the forum. Cat kept adding new features, like experience and the arcade. They weren't fully functional, but they were new so they were something to talk about. Cat made a new chat program that seemed like a lot of fun to talk to my new internet pals with. Everything was new and inviting.

Now everything is old and familiar. And familiarity breeds contempt. "This isn't as enjoyable as when it was new" is a common sentiment. Nothing is spontaneous anymore, there's nothing to pique my curiosity. I can't place myself on the same level as newcomers because there's a 4 year difference in familiarity and they seem less significant to the community. I already know what people will be talking about every time I visit the site because I've been here so long and the forum's palette of activities has been stagnant.
Old November 17, 2013, 03:48:45 AM
Regigigas

I assume that people log in but don't post because they mainly come to check threads about X/Y, at least currently. Also there's the fact that a lot of new gaming opportunities are out/coming out in the very near future to keep people busy.
Old November 17, 2013, 04:53:15 AM
Haxorus

@Cat333 you could try and advertise the forums on Youtube maybe?
Old November 17, 2013, 09:32:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAurorae View Post
@Cat333 you could try and advertise the forums on Youtube maybe?
My YouTube account has already been saturated of people interested in this forum. I barely get views on anything anymore, though, and all the changes have irritated me, thus I've quit YouTube. Only thing that might be worth putting up is perhaps a tournament advertisement.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 17, 2013 at 09:33:32 AM.
Old November 17, 2013, 10:33:57 AM
Kyurem

*starts to think whether Victory Rpad should be... Rebooted from scratch*
Old November 17, 2013, 08:32:00 PM
Administrator

How would it be rebooted?
Old November 18, 2013, 02:26:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
We suddenly become a Digimon forum
Old November 18, 2013, 06:09:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Victory Road: Episode 2 XL Reloaded Hyper Turbo Ultimate HD Collector's Edition
Old November 18, 2013, 10:54:08 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
You just need to unplug it for five seconds then plug it back in.
Old November 18, 2013, 10:56:08 AM
Linoone

Exclamation LIMITERU TIMERU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Limited time only, released only in the Czech Republic, Soviet Union and Pyroland. Only translated into Hebrew and Swahili.
Old November 18, 2013, 11:47:33 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 View Post
Limited time only, released only in the Czech Republic, Soviet Union and Pyroland. Only translated into Hebrew and Swahili.
Do you need a password to access it, too?
Old November 18, 2013, 11:55:01 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfbane5001 View Post
We reserve the right to wait the obligatory 5 year period before letting the fan translations flow forth. Results may vary.

Last edited by ThePokeMan; November 18, 2013 at 11:58:58 AM.
Old November 18, 2013, 12:11:56 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Don't forget the official $100 worth of required DLC.
Old November 18, 2013, 12:43:12 PM
Administrator

Alright, alright. Back on topic, what are some real ideas?
Old November 18, 2013, 01:25:58 PM
Keldeo

Speaking as someone who only showed up here a little while ago, I feel like this place is kind of a closed community. Meaning people don't know about it. I've been on floatzel.net a few times, but never heard of Victory Road until I went looking for a certain Pokémon MIDI (somehow it seems like this place is the only one with a usable Primal Dialga, I don't get it). On top of that, this is a fairly old forum so there were a lot of old threads I almost "revived" but didn't because I don't feel like testing the bumping rule.

That's my impressions. In terms of solutions, though, I'm rather dry.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:28:12 PM
Rayquaza

Bring back the chat that's all I'm going to say about that.

Last edited by Magmaster12; November 18, 2013 at 01:28:23 PM.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:47:02 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Bring back the chat that's all I'm going to say about that.
Lolno And the people who frequented it are long gone or barely here.

All I can say is more events, and I've said THAT a few times. I've only been in about 2 or 3 tournaments since I've been here, but I've been interested in many. I signed up specifically for a tournament that I didn't enter.
And regarding your stupid chat thing, although a tourney chat would be nice it's nothing like live spectating.
Old November 18, 2013, 02:40:58 PM
Rayquaza

I think we should also change the layout again to something a lot more welcoming.

Especially considering the amount of new users we get that our Zoroark fans means we need a broader outreach.
Old November 18, 2013, 02:58:02 PM
Administrator

I've been considering a chat specifically for tournament use. Beyond that, though, the chat definitely is not coming back.

As for the bumping rule, if something is still relevant, feel free to bump it up, but let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to topics that are far past expiration.
Old November 19, 2013, 12:21:30 PM
Regigigas

I thought it was funny that I posted this and then didn't come back online after a while. xD My bad for the hypocrisy. I'm also glad we the thread kinda got trolled.

Anywho, yeah, I was gonna say to create more events to keep the place from going dry for users who come on regularly and to allow those who do log in, but don't post, to start posting and starting up conversation. We've just had a new game released last month and hardly any different in activity.
Old December 3, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

Quote:
Alright, alright. Back on topic, what are some real ideas?
I think the origins of this community were more pokemon music-oriented since you got people to join through your musical-themed youtube channel (I'm one of those people). If the forum was more dedicated to that subject you'd appeal to a specific and passionate group of mature users. That could be your forum's niche in the internet world. Right now the forum's purpose is rather nebulous.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:38:32 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
I think the origins of this community were more pokemon music-oriented since you got people to join through your musical-themed youtube channel (I'm one of those people). If the forum was more dedicated to that subject you'd appeal to a specific and passionate group of mature users. That could be your forum's niche in the internet world. Right now the forum's purpose is rather nebulous.
I dunno... I'm pretty sure there's this music forum that's full of trolls out there... Also, music tends to be a pretty touchy subject to a lot of people. Making this forum more music themed, I believe, won't do much and consider the time this forum has been up. Neh.

Does anyone know how active this forum gets during the Summer? O.o
Old January 15, 2014, 04:26:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
Does anyone know how active this forum gets during the Summer? O.o
It varies. It usually picks up more around the release of major Pokémon games, not really too much based on seasons or off times.
Old January 15, 2014, 02:49:02 PM
Volcarona

I've been pretty much inactive because a combination of most of the people I was buddies with not posting here and the fact that I can't make as silly of posts anymore means I don't have much to say
as for ideas: ??????????????
Old January 15, 2014, 03:09:16 PM
Shaymin

A combination of distractions and work have been keeping me... But I still feel that I don't really have good input so I mainly keep to myself.

Last edited by Fubab_107; January 15, 2014 at 04:28:16 PM. Reason: That play was supposed to be work...
Old January 15, 2014, 05:07:25 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
It varies. It usually picks up more around the release of major Pokémon games, not really too much based on seasons or off times.
But, X and Y have been released and the activity here isn't impressive. Not even hype besides those who regularly post. I don't think I saw any new names.

I'm not saying the forum doesn't get attention, cause it's still getting new members. But, none of them really post and the lack of posts from regularly probably also discourages new user posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
A combination of distractions and work have been keeping me... But I still feel that I don't really have good input so I mainly keep to myself.
Hey now, it doesn't matter how small or large your input is, your voice is still important to the choir! Besides, I can probably guarantee that regular users view the forum, but just don't log in or don't post while logged on. D:

Sorry if it seems that I'm making a big deal out of it. I just get sort of paranoid when forums get dry.
Old January 16, 2014, 03:20:12 AM
Giratina

Victory Road I see as a mining town. It has a lot of activity when gold comes rolling out, then when it's all gone the people move on. To be blunt as hell about it, there just isn't a reason to stay here anymore. There's nothing to do. A lot less tournaments than I've known in the past and a lot less people being committed to them. And believe that would also tie in to people not rolling out threads as much. When you're not getting anything out of the mining town then there's no more reason to stay, so you leave.

I'm still here because I have friends; a strong, small group of friends that I could never imagine saying goodbye to, so I don't. And as long as they're my friends then I'll be dedicated to being as active as possible. But even I find myself at an impasse when I see nothing to say or nothing to get involved with.

Basically you just gotta pull a rabbit out a hat. It's not hard if you have the right assistance.
Old January 16, 2014, 05:54:28 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Victory Road I see as a mining town. It has a lot of activity when gold comes rolling out, then when it's all gone the people move on. To be blunt as hell about it, there just isn't a reason to stay here anymore. There's nothing to do. A lot less tournaments than I've known in the past and a lot less people being committed to them. And believe that would also tie in to people not rolling out threads as much. When you're not getting anything out of the mining town then there's no more reason to stay, so you leave.

I'm still here because I have friends; a strong, small group of friends that I could never imagine saying goodbye to, so I don't. And as long as they're my friends then I'll be dedicated to being as active as possible. But even I find myself at an impasse when I see nothing to say or nothing to get involved with.

Basically you just gotta pull a rabbit out a hat. It's not hard if you have the right assistance.
I feel like this is the same for every forum. All four of the forums I've been a major part of have had threads about activity drops, and I'm starting to think it's just a natural thing as a forum changes and/or the people just lose interest in the community

I dunno if it's worth fretting about honestly. A dead forum is a sad sight to behold, but on the other hand I don't think you can do very much about it, assuming the people who left aren't interested in coming back. I think having more activities like tournaments would be cool and would up activity but I doubt it'll bring in people like the first VR tourney did

I do agree with PRS though that the reason VR was so exciting was because of all the crazy stuff that was added that made it such an interesting place to be, in addition to a fun community to be a part of. But I think the problem with that is that it's the sort of stuff Cat isn't interested in having on the forum so Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Last edited by randoguy101; January 16, 2014 at 05:55:20 AM.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:34:07 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
There's nothing to do.
Pretty much hit the nail here. There's hardly even any discussion about Pokemon itself, which is the forum's theme. Some SSB talk. There just isn't many users getting on anymore. Slash that, and you've got the number of posts. I think it has more to do than "the lack of news".

I'm sure everyone here plays a number of different video games. I don't see why there isn't tournaments for each perspective game or games, in and out of Nintendo. If anything, I'd say it wouldn't need moderator approval. Just make a thread, collect users, plan dates and BOOM. Hopefully all can make it.
Old January 16, 2014, 07:32:16 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Pretty much hit the nail here. There's hardly even any discussion about Pokemon itself, which is the forum's theme. Some SSB talk. There just isn't many users getting on anymore. Slash that, and you've got the number of posts. I think it has more to do than "the lack of news".

I'm sure everyone here plays a number of different video games. I don't see why there isn't tournaments for each perspective game or games, in and out of Nintendo. If anything, I'd say it wouldn't need moderator approval. Just make a thread, collect users, plan dates and BOOM. Hopefully all can make it.
Pokémon itself has been pretty slow. Can you even say that 5th Generation was full? It didn't even have a console side game. So far everything has just been the same old same old, because as mentioned a lot, things only pick up when there's exciting game news. Maybe our moderators could do more than moderate that nothingness that's going on and start bringing up more ideas. I mean, there's not that many of them anymore, they need to form an oligarchy brainstorming round table.

I'm undergoing some strong internal change and I could go beyond my closed-Nintendo borders. Besides, Nintendo refuses to release good games with online multiplayer anymore, so it's almost FORCING me to go with something new. The 360 and especially the PS3 will be alive for quite some years, and the prices for their games will go down a lot so that means tournaments for those are more viable. The only issue is can we find people willing to shell out for them?
Old January 16, 2014, 07:38:47 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Pokémon itself has been pretty slow. Can you even say that 5th Generation was full? It didn't even have a console side game. So far everything has just been the same old same old, because as mentioned a lot, things only pick up when there's exciting game news. Maybe our moderators could do more than moderate that nothingness that's going on and start bringing up more ideas. I mean, there's not that many of them anymore, they need to form an oligarchy brainstorming round table.

I'm undergoing some strong internal change and I could go beyond my closed-Nintendo borders. Besides, Nintendo refuses to release good games with online multiplayer anymore, so it's almost FORCING me to go with something new. The 360 and especially the PS3 will be alive for quite some years, and the prices for their games will go down a lot so that means tournaments for those are more viable. The only issue is can we find people willing to shell out for them?

How about it? Anyone up for like a 5 year anniversary free for all match in whatever games? xD Jesus, something magical like that needs to happen.

Well hey, can't find people if no one is stepping up their game and offering tournaments! I mean, X and Y introduced Multi-battles, and there's STILL little to no tourneys.

Edit: I might as well shut my mouth cause I haven't made moves to creating any tournaments, either. xD

Last edited by Sub-zero; January 16, 2014 at 07:43:51 PM.
Old January 16, 2014, 07:56:41 PM
Giratina

Quote:
How about it? Anyone up for like a 5 year anniversary free for all match in whatever games? xD Jesus, something magical like that needs to happen.

Well hey, can't find people if no one is stepping up their game and offering tournaments! I mean, X and Y introduced Multi-battles, and there's STILL little to no tourneys.

Edit: I might as well shut my mouth cause I haven't made moves to creating any tournaments, either. xD
I don't blame you, setting up and running a tournament can be a doozy of a thing. But I imagine we don't have anything for X and Y because of Pokémon Bank's delay. Very unprofessional for the Pokémon Company. Though it does give people more time to learn the structure of 6th Gen, the games have limited Pokémon. I wanna use my Torterra already... and I can't form a proper all-generation team unless I can pull Pokémon from my already complete NatDex of B2.

I'm also up for any free for alls. There should be just whimsical fun things like that every couple or trio of months.
Old January 16, 2014, 08:10:10 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
I don't blame you, setting up and running a tournament can be a doozy of a thing. But I imagine we don't have anything for X and Y because of Pokémon Bank's delay. Very unprofessional for the Pokémon Company. Though it does give people more time to learn the structure of 6th Gen, the games have limited Pokémon. I wanna use my Torterra already... and I can't form a proper all-generation team unless I can pull Pokémon from my already complete NatDex of B2.

I'm also up for any free for alls. There should be just whimsical fun things like that every couple or trio of months.
But, still... I wouldn't mind tagging up with another user here and getting into a tourney for Wifi Multi-Battles. If anything, it sounds like more fun than competition. Yeah, I wanna stuff like Sceptile to scare off those never-ending Greninja's, but... Yeah. I'm just coping with what I've got. I'm just as restricted as anyone else. I missed the 2 days Pokemon Bank was up, so I have no new Pokemon.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:07:13 AM
Charizard

Reading the above, it makes me feel awful for not coming around for this long ;-;
Old January 24, 2014, 07:48:13 PM
Regigigas

Hey, why don't we hold a Multi-Player Wifi "tourney"? I don't we'd need to really team up with members only. Maybe keep the rules fair, like no post-pokebank Pokemon or something. I know that frustrates people, but really? With Friend Safari around and breeding being easier, it's not that hard. Y'ALL JUST LAZY.