Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 22, 2014, 05:18:33 PM
Charizard

Post Wal-Mart to Start Game Trade-Ins?

Has anyone else heard about Wal-Mart starting up used game trade in programs? My dad mentioned this to me, so I went and looked it up. I think this may start to cut in on GameStop's business, since that was kind of their thing. Either way, I really hope they give people more money than GS. I only got around $1 for trading in a particular game there. What do you guys think about all this? The link is right here: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/w...ch-26th-video/
Old March 22, 2014, 05:37:06 PM
Administrator

By "store credit" I assume they mean gift cards, since that's the easiest way to do store credit these days. While I do like the selection at stores like GameStop and the sometimes killer prices they offer for certain used titles, I'd love to see a competitor that could force GameStop to stop the "new $60, used $55" pricing.

Hmm, oddly, I remember being able to buy used Super Nintendo games at Wal-Mart while the Nintendo 64 was still going strong. I have no idea how they obtained the games, though.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:42:36 PM
Rayquaza

I know Target does store credit now so Wal Mart probably does it.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:03:53 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'd love to see a competitor that could force GameStop to stop the "new $60, used $55" pricing
Amazon says hi.

If I recall, there are a lot of independant game vendors who do that sort of thing, and resell used games insanely cheaply, but unfortunately they don't always seem to get much recognition.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Amazon says hi.
I mean a brick-and-mortar shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
If I recall, there are a lot of independant game vendors who do that sort of thing, and resell used games insanely cheaply, but unfortunately they don't always seem to get much recognition.
We've got a few here in Las Vegas, but they seem a little too ephemeral. Three of the shops I used to frequent are now gone, but replacements have sprung up elsewhere. Two of the ones that I visit now feature trading card game tournaments as an alternative revenue stream.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:17:30 PM
Administrator

I've already been seeing used games show up at both WalMart and Target for a while (not sure where they came from, probably overstock from other stores or something). It still seems a bit silly to me that the place where you can buy cookies, pants, stove cleaner, and oil for your car all in the same place will now start taking trade-ins for just one type of product.

I am slightly curious about how their prices will compare to places like GameStop, but won't really do much for me since I do most of my selling/buying online anyway.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:28:21 PM
Keldeo

I saw a number of them at Magfest, but unless they trade and resell hundreds of used games every day I have no idea how one could even pay half a web hosting subscription at the rates they were charging :\ Maybe those guys had other jobs or something.
Old March 23, 2014, 06:02:09 PM
Charizard

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'd love to see a competitor that could force GameStop to stop the "new $60, used $55" pricing.
That does get very old. It's kind of like when I bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in 2009, I went to my local Hasting's (they sell books, movies, music, games and coffee as well as various other merchandise like Sonic belt buckles and Mario candy), the store had the game for either $50 or $55. I can't remember, but the discounted price for the used copy was around $43. That's not much difference. I've run into the same issue at GameStop, though, where Metroid Prime Trilogy was $50 used, so because of this, I'll have to agree, maybe it'll either lead to stores giving us more for the games we trade in, lower priced used games, or if we're lucky, maybe even both.
Old March 23, 2014, 06:54:07 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFire1337 View Post
Metroid Prime Trilogy was $50 used
If I recall correctly, Prime Trilogy stopped production/manufacturing/whatever and this may be the result why its still a high price.

Wal-Mart will have to step up their game if they wanna compete with GameStop. Not that they have to do much to do that; just offer more then they do on the trade in policies. Accessories and consoles would be cool too, as well.