Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2013, 09:38:21 AM
Kyurem

Default The Xbox One

Name rticle here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
The next Xbox is called Xbox One.

Microsoft announced the news at an event in Seattle today, touting how you'll be able to use gestures and voice control to interact with the new system.
Hmm... It is interesting. It'll also come with a new Kinect for you guys that are into it.

What do you think of Microsoft's latest gaming console?
Old May 21, 2013, 09:44:01 AM

I'm not too fond of the name choice. They could have done so much better there...

The only thing I'm really worried/wondering about though is if it's still rumored to be "always on", requiring constant internet connection. I might just be living under a rock, but did that rumor get put to rest...? Or is it still a rumor? Or has it been confirmed?...I don't know.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:03:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
"Xbox, on" starts up the machine.
...You're kidding me.

Other than that, doesn't look bad. Nothing particularly special, but not too bad. Hopefully they haven't gone all social network-y like Sony did with the PS4.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:29:00 AM
Administrator

Looks like an interesting system. I still prefer my "separate devices for separate uses", but looks like it should work out well for the Xbox One provided the main focus is still on gaming. I look forward to hearing more about it at E3.

Also Steven Speilberg making a Halo TV series, totally didn't see that one coming.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:09:55 AM
Volcarona

Okay I gotta admit, the design of that thing is suuuuuuuuper sleek. I'd buy one JUST for that reason. But it's just another system I cannot own nor afford, and I still much prefer this "generation" consols and still feel like everything is moving too fast. But anyways. The whole Xbox this, Xbox that thing makes me giggle, it reminds me of Digimon how everything had the ending "mon" in their names. I'm not much of a TV person myself so I think the television and stats thing are pretty useless in my opinion. I'd rather have a device specifically made for that duty instead, which I could probably afford instead. But I believe they've made some decent choices with this thing, I hope to hear more good news about it soon.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:24:54 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Quote:
Old May 21, 2013, 11:50:51 AM
Regigigas

They'll never learn. It seems the main selling point for the XBox One is the Cloud, aka internet. This means in order to get much of anything out of it, it requires a net connection. This in turn leaves those in the world who still can't get highspeed internet without a way to truly enjoy the system. That's 35% of the gaming market.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:00:40 PM
Giratina

I like it a lot. My mom texted me in school to tell me about it because she works for Microsoft and stuff. I was freaking excited, and now that I've read about it, I'M FREAKING STOKED.
Quote:
Speaking of games, the pickings were rather slim for software at Microsoft's event. We saw some EA sports games—FIFA, Madden, NBA Live—and we saw an interesting-looking new horror game from Remedy (the folks behind Alan Wake), called Quantum Break.

We also got to see the next Call of Duty. It has, uh, a dog. Stephen saw it, and he's got a full preview right here.

Ubisoft, Bungie, and Square Enix have all jumped out to confirm that Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, Destiny, and Thief are all coming to Xbox One, although we didn't see any of those games at today's event.
I'm especially pumped for Madden, NBA, (maybe) CoD, and ACIV!
Old May 21, 2013, 12:18:13 PM
Keldeo

The name is a bit odd and I don't get where they were going with the name. The controller seems pretty solid which is good. No breaking what doesn't neeed to be. If shade is right that would be a shame as for me I don't usually do the online stuff and just play by myself. Making the whole match making this a loss until I get xbox live and probably will be fore Halo is the various ways.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:45:22 PM
Shaymin

I'm still on the fence regarding this... Mainly because seeing other people's complaints don't help on my decision making. I may consider when I hear more news...

Also more kinect.... Just what I always wanted. To yell at my console to turn it on... Not like I already do that...
Old May 21, 2013, 01:03:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
They'll never learn. It seems the main selling point for the XBox One is the Cloud, aka internet. This means in order to get much of anything out of it, it requires a net connection. This in turn leaves those in the world who still can't get highspeed internet without a way to truly enjoy the system. That's 35% of the gaming market.
Necessitating the cloud for the important stuff is probably for some kind of backup or synchronization system.

But yeah, I'm hoping Microsoft focuses on gaming and not social media. We're not buying a Facebook Box; we're buying a DirectX Box.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:55:30 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Also Steven Speilberg making a Halo TV series, totally didn't see that one coming.
This has been rumored for a while actually.

Based off what Microsoft has come out with lately, I don't have hopes for this but I'm more likely to buy it then PS4 since I trust Microsoft products.

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 21, 2013 at 01:57:43 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:27:38 PM
Keldeo

Found this on IGN, I believe these are the specs. I could be wrong so just tossing it up there for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (6).jpg
Views:	473
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	4887  
Old May 21, 2013, 02:31:49 PM
Administrator

Looks like we all glossed over the ever-important part:
Quote:
You'll have to install games before you play them. When you install a game, it connects to your Xbox Live account. You can connect it to a second account, but you'll have to pay a fee. In other words, the traditional concept of "used games" is obsolete for Xbox One.

The console is not online-only, but developers can choose to release online-only games using Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service, which lets the servers do some of the work. You'd have to be connected to the Internet to play those games.
Looks like it won't need to be always online, but the "no used games" rumor appears true. Lovely.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:58:52 PM
Rayquaza

Why does Microsoft think we're okay with paying for used games when we already have to pay monthly for XBox live?

Yeah screw other consoles I think I'll just focus on adding games for consoles I already have.

Also here's IGN's side by side comparison.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS...ource=facebook

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 21, 2013 at 03:15:48 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:09:17 PM
Administrator

Want to see something interesting? After the announcement of this, Sony's stock went up by 10%. Looks like a lot of people don't have much faith in this. If Microsoft did something wacky and show off games (besides the billionth Call of Duty and Madden) there would be more interest in it.

Last edited by Yoshi648; May 22, 2013 at 06:51:34 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:33:45 PM
Administrator

E3 should be interesting this year and may likely be the deciding factor in which console gets many sales, which will no doubt begin with the same drought of games that has plagued every console's launch. Microsoft better have something good planned.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
Giratina

I was talking to my mom about some of these problems/complaints and she says they got "Xbox One" because it's a bunch of your entertainment sources in one. It's not so much just a gaming console anymore, it's all in one, like the video talks about. What I don't like is the no backwards compatibility, and the no used games thing..
Old May 21, 2013, 11:40:38 PM
Haxorus

At the current stage, I have to say I like the look of the PS4 more (in terms of specs and whatnot). Although I own a 360 I probably won't buy the new one because there isn't anything that particularly stands out that I would want to get. I agree the whole no backwards compatibility is ridiculous since you could play Xbox Classic games on the 360.

We will just have to wait till we find out why we should buy this product.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:30:56 AM
Charizard

I'm excited and not excited about this if that makes sense? Too many ifs about this new console. I'm not going to buy it right when it comes out, maybe months after just to see how everyone else likes it. And honestly, I hate the name.... They should have just used Infinity instead....
Old May 22, 2013, 11:43:42 AM
Giratina

Spoiler Alert:    

That meme pretty much explains my emotions when I first heard about it, to when I read the articles about it.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:14:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I was talking to my mom about some of these problems/complaints and she says they got "Xbox One" because it's a bunch of your entertainment sources in one. It's not so much just a gaming console anymore, it's all in one, like the video talks about. What I don't like is the no backwards compatibility, and the no used games thing..
"It only does everything." –PlayStation 3 slogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAurorae View Post
At the current stage, I have to say I like the look of the PS4 more (in terms of specs and whatnot).
I think I'm going to hold off on buying any of the next generation consoles until I find out what games each console will have. I'm probably going the route of the Wii U first because the Pokémon and Mario franchises, but that's for later on, not to mention I've got quite the backlog of games to play. I'll stick with my Wii, Xbox 360, and past consoles for now.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:04:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Sony's stock went up by 10%.
You guys are going to love what the Xbox One reveal did to Nintendo:
http://playeressence.com/amazon-uk-w...b_source=pubv1

Not only did Sony's stock go up, but Nintendo's Wii U sales went up as well, at least in the UK. I've never heard of a gaming company failing so much that it benefitted both of their competitors.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:38:03 AM
Kyurem

I keep having a strange feeling that the next round of console wars is going to look more like a one-sided battle. The Xbox One sounds like something that you wouldn't want to have at this point.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:39:20 AM
Rayquaza

This is another example of the bad choices done by Microsoft lately, trying to improve on something by combining everything together but only making it more difficult in the process.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:35:16 AM
Administrator

Y'know, I'm suddenly reminded of something. You're using a video game console to watch TV while it takes statistics of your habits and monitors your every move, but it keeps you distracted with various apps and activities. Heck, it even adapts to your lifestyle and makes recommendations for you. However, it completely forgets the core reason that its name is what it is in the first place. I swear this was a failed experiment published by Nintendo before.

Hmm...    

Name:	channel.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	4891
Old May 25, 2013, 03:47:46 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Quote:
...You're kidding me.
Reminds me a lot of one of JonTron's videos. That part in the video basically describes the logic of pressing a button to start up the console or using a voice command.

Back on-topic, I am going to stay away from the Xbox One. For as much as it offers, it's almost offering too much and at the same time nothing at all. Playing used games is a chore, if even possible; has no backwards compatibility; Kinect is required; the "paperwork" required to play a new game... all of these seem like Microsoft isn't thinking about accessibility.

One of the best parts, to me at least, about the PS2 and the Wii were that they could play PS1 games and GameCube games respectively. Removing backwards compatibility removes a reason for people to buy the newest thing when it's first released, especially if the opening lineup of video games is lackluster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft's Don Mattrick
If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards
Because, you know, who cares about accessibility these days?

Another big thing I don't like about the Xbox One:
Quote:
We know that every game will come with an activation code, and that you'll have to install a game to your system's harddrive before using it. You'll also have to register it online and connect it to your Xbox Live account
Let's create a hypothetical situation: You buy a new game for the Xbox One, you run home, slap it in your machine, activate the code, and install the game. Woo! You're only 2/3rd's of the way there! Just as the game is finished downloading itself onto the hard-drive... internet failure. Well, what now? You're stuck with a game you just paid $60 for and now you can't even play it until your internet provider fixes your internet. Brilliant.
What happened to this?
Buy a new game, run home, slap it in your machine, have an amazing time for 10 hours, suddenly! Internet failure. No problem, just keep playing and wait for the internet to come back.
Getting a new game on the Xbox One almost seems like filling out paperwork requesting permission to play said new game. Why is this necessary?

As for the "always-online" rumor... it might as well be true. In a press conference, Phil Harrison said "the Xbox One is not required to be always online, but requires an internet connection." When asked to clarify, he said the console will have to be connected to the internet at least once a day. Seems rather pointless for most people, but I can see how that would be beneficial to those with shaky internet connections. What I want to know, though, is what happens if it isn't online for more than a day? Is there some punishment we suffer if our Xbox One isn't connected for a day? This circles right back around to the hypothetical situation created above where the internet fails and it takes more than a day to fix.

Final words on the Xbox One: It seems like Microsoft recently has lost any care for those who aren't convinced that they should buy their latest product, so they say "Well forget you then" and make their products with less accessibility than ever. Xbox One is no different to this - used games (from the looks of it) can't be bought, backwards compatibility got disowned by Microsoft, the Kinect is required, playing a new game requires you to do too much, might as well be always-online, and it's trying to do too much for a gaming co- oh, my bad. Microsoft is calling it an "entertainment system." I think they're trying to do too much without any focus on one thing I've been repeating this entire post - accessibility. That guy they just fired recently was all about that, wasn't he - lack of accessbility? Why'd he get fired for being the face of Microsoft?
Also, this:
Quote:
Xbox One does not seem very indie-friendly. Indies can't self-publish on the system.
Thank you, Microsoft, but I'll take my money back to Valve and Nintendo.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; May 25, 2013 at 03:52:52 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:38:58 AM
Giratina

Er. I found this; http://rangerkimmy.tumblr.com/post/5...a-consumer-and

Yeah, it made me doubt Xbox One a lot more now. Changed a lot of my views on it, but I'll still probably get it carefree because my mom gets it cheap.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:59:48 AM
Rayquaza

Old May 25, 2013, 10:50:26 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Nice, but apparently it's a fake.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:59:01 AM
Rayquaza

It's still funny.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:18:11 PM
Administrator

Regarding backwards compatibility, I will at least defend the fact it doesn't have it, but I won't defend Don Mattrick. Remember that a lot of previous consoles weren't capable of playing any previous games, and that seems to only be a more recent endeavor in consoles.

Of course, if a console has backwards compatibility, that leads to an "instant library" of all the previous games for buyers who didn't get the last console. Many people also plan on selling or putting away the old console (often to afford or make space for it) so they can keep only the newest one out. I haven't touched my GameCube in five years except one time I lacked access to the Wii and a few times when I wanted to record from the Game Boy Player.

Also, Microsoft, bring Bill Gates back!

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 25, 2013 at 12:50:21 PM.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:40:55 PM
Administrator

...I can't wrap my head around this one...

http://www.gamespot.com//news/micros...ments-6408924?

Achievements...for watching TV?! Welcome all the couch potatoes!
Old May 28, 2013, 08:28:18 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post

Achievement unlocked
Watched an entire season of a TV show without leaving the couch

Achievement unlocked
Accurately predicted who would get voted off Big Brother every episode

Achievement unlocked
Answered every question on Jeopardy correctly
Old May 29, 2013, 12:18:35 PM
Giratina

Quote:

That reminds me - If you're watching a movie on the Xbox One and Kinect detects too many people in the room, they'll stop the movie and ask you to upgrade your license (ctrl+f "Take, for example")
Old May 29, 2013, 01:39:02 PM
Administrator

I think I might lose it after seeing that. MICROSOFT'S CONSOLE DIVISION, WHAT IN ARCEUS' NAME ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS?
Old May 29, 2013, 02:06:23 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
That reminds me - If you're watching a movie on the Xbox One and Kinect detects too many people in the room, they'll stop the movie and ask you to upgrade your license (ctrl+f "Take, for example")
That was still a rumor last I heard of it, but by the looks of it it seems hilariously easy to circumvent; can't you just turn the Kinect so it can only see a couple people?
Old May 29, 2013, 07:39:04 PM
Giratina

Quote:
That was still a rumor last I heard of it, but by the looks of it it seems hilariously easy to circumvent; can't you just turn the Kinect so it can only see a couple people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A guy on Arstechnica
I'll just build a diorama and put that in front of the kinect. It'll just think it's watching a small room with an incredibly still person. Problem solved.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:55:23 PM

Whoops, I accidentally pointed the Kinect towards my bobblehead collection containing 300 of my favorite baseball players. Now I'll need to pay $5,000 to upgrade my license.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
Whoops, I accidentally pointed the Kinect towards my bobblehead collection containing 300 of my favorite baseball players. Now I'll need to pay $5,000 to upgrade my license.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A guy on Arstechnica
I'll just build a diorama and put that in front of the kinect. It'll just think it's watching a small room with an incredibly still person. Problem solved.
What about pointing the Kinect at the guy sitting in the recliner and ignoring the other five people in the couches?

I think it's pretty obvious that this would never work. It's far too easy to cheat the system.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:53:08 AM
Kyurem

Note to self: if I ever end up getting a gaming system when I get a family up and setting and the console generation isn't past yet, I will skip the Xbox One if things don't change. It's too weird. The silence hurts.

Even the PS4 will allow you to play games with just video, audio, and power connections, and nothing else.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:46:57 PM
Administrator

Umm...
https://twitter.com/stevetilley/stat...89498924789760

Is Microsoft giving up on the Xbox at this point? I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is they don't want to answer all the questions that could would jeopardize their product.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 5, 2013 at 03:49:48 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:18:51 PM
Keldeo

Rents not supported mmm xbox is smart

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...tals-at-launch
Old June 6, 2013, 05:07:31 PM
Administrator

That sub-account nonsense makes it that much harder to understand the ability to use your own games on your own console. Regardless, looks like the rumor is true that each disc is locked to a specific console.
Old June 6, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
Regigigas

XBox One Must Be Online Once A Day Or It Won't Let You Play Your Games

They just lost 40% of possible sales with this one. It's like them saying "You don't have an internet connection? Then you don't deserve to play the XBox One"
Old June 6, 2013, 06:58:05 PM
Keldeo

Thumbs down

Anyone think the wii U might win because its competitors came down with a case of the stupors? I mean really Xbox what the bloody hell are you doing? Been usin my 360 with no Internet for a few days. So brilliant there Xbox 1 for adding useless features and taking away any we might be interested in.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:00:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
Anyone think the wii U might win because its competitors came down with a case of the stupors? I mean really Xbox what the bloody hell are you doing? Been usin my 360 with no Internet for a few days. So brilliant there Xbox 1 for adding useless features and taking away any we might be interested in.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this will be a games race between Nintendo and Sony. If Microsoft flops E3, they're going to be taking the back seat like Sega did with the Dreamcast.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:28:41 PM
Keldeo

Also clear as mud policy on loaning your disc out a long with others goodies.
http://gamerant.com/microsoft-xbox-o...es-publishers/

I entirely agree XBOX is just not avoiding shoting itself in the foot if not important organs.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:56:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I am Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox One
Hello, Sam. Thank you for purchasing your Xbox One multimedia entertainment console. Please take a minute to review the terms and conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I am Sam.
Quote:
Thank you for logging in. Please stand in front of the Kinect and state your name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Sam I am.
Quote:
Welcome to Xbox Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Do you like green eggs and ham?
Quote:
Green Eggs and Ham has been registered to Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you eat them here or there?
Quote:
The Kinect must be attached at all times for the Xbox to properly identify you, Sam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you like them in a house? Would you like them with a mouse?
Quote:
This Xbox One console has been registered to your address. Please update your profile before moving to a new location.

USB device "Logitech USB Mouse" not recognized. Please use only Microsoft-licensed Xbox One accessories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you eat them in a box? Would you eat them with a fox?
Quote:
Access Violation: Usage of this product by more than one individual is not allowed. Please upgrade your license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you? Could you? In a car? Eat them! Eat them! Here they are.
Quote:
Kinect has detected the outside world and assumes returning of a registered game. Please remember that this disc is licensed solely to you and can only be transferred by a Microsoft-licensed establishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
You may like them. You will see. You may like them in a tree?
Quote:
Unrecognized figure in front of player. Please step into the open without obstructions and identify yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
A train! A train! A train! A train! Could you, would you on a train?
Quote:
Please connect mains adapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Say! In the dark? Here in the dark! Would you, could you, in the dark?
Quote:
Kinect cannot detect any players in the room. Your game will be paused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you, could you, in the rain?
Quote:
Dew Warning: To ensure proper function of this Xbox One, please adjust your operating environment to a lower humidity level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
You do not like green eggs and ham?
Quote:
Microsoft's vision is to create a unified gaming and multimedia environment that joins video gamers, television watchers, videoconferencers, and Facebook users. Please enjoy our universe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Could you, would you, with a goat?
Quote:
Access Violation: Usage of this product by more than one individual is not allowed. Please upgrade your license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Would you, could you, on a boat?
Quote:
This product is registered to the United States. Export to other countries not allowed. Please purchase your local version of the Xbox One.

Reminder: This product is only for use by one individual: Sam. Other players will require additional licenses. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may I say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayStation 4
I like players! And I will allow them to do whatever I wish, as will the developers! We won't require absurd fees unless the developers shove them down your throats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii U
And we've been all about the players since we got into gaming! We will let you play in a box. And we will let you play with a fox.
Quote:
And we will let you play in a house. And we will let you play with a mouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii U
Here or there!
Quote:
Anywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii U and PlayStation 4
We like the players, yes we do! Thank you, thank you, Sam-I-Am!
Old June 7, 2013, 10:08:48 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
*snipped*
That's a gem! Where did you get that from, anyway?

The Xbox One... well, Microsoft has to be looking at the PR disaster right now. I hope they aren't so thick-skinned.
Old June 7, 2013, 01:29:13 PM
Giratina

I'm still wondering how this seemed like a good idea to Microsoft. One of the biggest flops in recent gaming accessories history is now required, your internet needs to not crap out (which isn't easy for everyone) or else you can't play single-player games that don't require internet, watching TV or movies with too many people will cost you extra, and the console never really turns itself off. Next thing you know, Microsoft will announce that there is no controller for the Xbox One.

My only guess as to why they would have all these crap features is because either a) They want third-party developers to be forced to use Kinect, b) They're trying to milk money using TV licenses and big families/lots of friends, or c) They think they're ahead of their time by having "voice activated" consoles and an "all-in-one entertainment" console. There is another possibility and that would be d) Because of how many people bought the Xbox and Xbox 360, they honestly think people would be dumb enough to blindly buy the latest product with "Xbox" in the title.

This is definitely going to hurt Microsoft. A major drop in sales of a once popular product isn't going to sit well with them. Well, at least Microsoft can fall back on Windo- oh, right. That pretty much failed, too. Well, I'd like to say it was a good game, Microsoft, but you seemed to have tied your own shoes together, ripped a hole in your shorts, then shot your own feet.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
That's a gem! Where did you get that from, anyway?
The Sam bits are quoted from Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham, but I came up with the idea to combine it with the Xbox One.

Quote:
...your internet needs to not crap out (which isn't easy for everyone) or else you can't play single-player games that don't require internet...
Oh, I was reading some heated debates on GameFAQs about this last night. The Internet infrastructure within the United States (Microsoft's prime target) is a complete joke. Many metropolitan areas can promise killer speeds, but people only a few blocks away could be stuck with dial-up, satellite, and GPRS (all of which are useless for online Xbox gaming). The problem isn't that people can't afford to pay for broadband access. The broadband lines simply don't exist in a lot of areas, and those areas also happen to often be cellular dead spots where 4G and even 3G are difficult to use. Heck, a lot of residences can't even use dial-up due to excessive line noise from phone lines that haven't been maintained in several decades.

Now, let's look at the other side of the problem. The US's broadband Internet itself is terrible. It can be giving you many megabits per second for days on end, but on the day you critically need it they could have an outage and give you an unreliable connection that drops out more than using a cell phone in the mountains.

Welcome to Suburbia.

So, let's re-cap:

Cable: Unreliable, especially in metropolitan areas
DSL: Also unreliable, susceptible to line noise
Satellite: Ping times too high for online gaming, expensive
Dial-up: Too slow for online gaming, susceptible to line noise
4G/3G: Poor coverage, expensive
GPRS: Too slow for online gaming

No Internet: No Xbox One

So is Microsoft really only targeting the minority with reliable cable connections only because they live next door to the ISP?

Quote:
Next thing you know, Microsoft will announce that there is no controller for the Xbox One.
You are the controller.

Yeah, this console is definitely proving itself quite the floccinaucinihilipilification.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 7, 2013 at 07:20:35 PM.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:37:02 AM
Giratina

Internet issues aside, Microsoft showed NOTHING that interests me as an international user. What is this NFL and Cable crap? I don't want to watch sports or TV, Netflix over here SUCKS, and the only games you've shown me so far ALREADY EXIST. Why do I want to ***** someone in the middle of a movie? If I'm watching a movie I'm trying to watch the damn movie. A snap-in web browser? If I want to look up something I'll use my phone, thanks; it'll save space on the TV for whatever I'm doing and is probably a lot more intuitive than what you have.

Xbox, go home.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:54:10 AM
Giratina

Quote:
You are the controller.
Didn't they try that stunt already? Didn't it fail horribly?
Didn't Yahtzee's review of the Kinect (very mature language warning) basically summarize all of its flaws, especially when it comes to using only the Kinect to control games?

Why isn't Microsoft learning?
Old June 9, 2013, 06:28:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Didn't they try that stunt already? Didn't it fail horribly?
Didn't Yahtzee's review of the Kinect (very mature language warning) basically summarize all of its flaws, especially when it comes to using only the Kinect to control games?

Why isn't Microsoft learning?
Exactly, that was the slogan they used for the Kinect.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:32:19 PM

I found this image, I think it's rather accurate, is it not?
A fair comparison of the Xbox One    
Old June 9, 2013, 08:36:58 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Yeah, this console is definitely proving itself quite the floccinaucinihilipilification.
Well, first off, I don't want to go off topic here, but... THAT WORD. I would PAY to see Scripps or someone use that word in the first round of ANY spelling bee. Just, 4th contestant of the day steps up and gets the honor of attempting to comprehend what just happened. Just, WOW.

On topic now, I can't believe how quickly things have blown up in Microsoft's face since the reveal of their "revolutionary" console. Seriously, how many people actually designed this console that nobody thought to ask another part of the office, another person, or just about anyone if these features were good ideas? Their reactions have been telling me that they had no idea this would happen (especially the fact that they're now not answering questions after E3).

As for the daily Internet check, this is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard to be implemented in a piece of technology. Up until a few years ago, I had a dial-up connection, and I can tell you first-person: the connection speed is terrible (I remember one specific instance of a 14-second YT video taking upwards of 10 minutes to completely buffer...). Even THINKING about using Wi-Fi or anything else wireless from a phone line was unthinkable (but apparently possible). Even after I got a basic router to work with a DSL connection a couple years back, I still had an iffy connection. I can completely understand if people even go as far as boycott Microsoft for the simple fact that, as said before, some people just can't get a decent, working, Internet connection that's perfect like Microsoft wants.

All in all, the console seems less to be a game of innovation, and more of a game of "Microsoft Wants You To Do This, So Deal With It".

Last edited by ThePokeMan; June 9, 2013 at 08:53:20 PM. Reason: Typo get! *dadadada*
Old June 10, 2013, 12:06:39 PM
Kyurem

500 bucks for an Xbox One?

Uh, no thanks, but I think I'd rather get a Wii U or a PlayStation 4.

Can it get any worse? Even "two free games with Xbox LIVE Gold per month" pales in comparison with what you get with PlayStation Network + (3 all year and another 2-3 PS3 games per month right now), and to top it all, the latter is truly optional!

EDIT: PSN+ is required for online gaming on the PS4. But, consider this: everything else doesn't require PSN+. You'll still be able to use Netflix. You'll still be able to use a web browser. You'll still be able to watch YouTube videos without PSN+. Can't say the same with Xbox consoles.

Last edited by Twiggy; June 10, 2013 at 11:46:56 PM.
Old June 12, 2013, 02:54:32 PM
Keldeo

Here is a good picture I found for the xbox one, it also fits with me because that series will be dead for me for a while if it goes xbox one exclusive (or I'll get it on PC)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aQqPznd_460s.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	4927  
Old June 12, 2013, 03:33:35 PM
Pikachu

After reading through the posts, and some though, the Xbox one seems like a complete waste of money. None of the stuff that it comes with interests me and I'm pretty sure most of the other gaming community very much.

The only reason I got a 360 was to play Halo with my friends, but not even that's gonna make me get this piece of garbage. Looks like it's time to go buy a WiiU and pre-order the PS4.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:17:33 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Can it get any worse?
Xbox One is only available in 21 countries. And will only work in those 21 countries.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:33:06 PM
Rayquaza

So Japan is completely screwed then.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:41:03 PM
Giratina

With all this negative info going around about the Xbox One, it makes me want to find someone who plans on getting it launch day and ask them this:
For what reason are you getting the Xbox One?

I can understand people who do tech/game reviews for a living, but what about someone who plans on just using it like any other console? To think that someone might actually be genuinely interested in the Xbox One for reasons other than showing how bad it is on launch day is absurd.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:44:33 PM
Administrator

According to this poll, Phantom and Music are each getting it:
http://victoryroad.net/poll.php?do=s...lts&pollid=357

I dropped 'em each a VM to look at this thread.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 13, 2013 at 03:45:17 PM.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:46:56 PM
Giratina

Quote:
According to this poll, Phantom and Music are each getting it:
http://victoryroad.net/poll.php?do=s...lts&pollid=357
And now I must collect pieces of my brain off the floor.

Thanks, Cat.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:17:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Xbox One is only available in 21 countries. And will only work in those 21 countries.
Check out their response to this guy:
https://twitter.com/gi4ouR/status/344929544492429313

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 13, 2013 at 09:18:09 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 12:16:22 AM
Administrator

When will it end? Now it doesn't even have a power button!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/sta...66492754657281

(I keep finding these Twitter links on GameFAQs.)
Old June 14, 2013, 12:38:42 AM
Keldeo

Do these people need a sign that says stupid ideas only? I mean come on.
Old June 14, 2013, 12:41:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Do these people need a sign that says stupid ideas only? I mean come on.
Xbox One active.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:50:10 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Xbox One active.
XBAX. XBAX.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:53:15 AM
Regigigas

I think this might be the reason for all the game trade silliness.

I have a feeling that they believe they lost so much money to piracy. Well, in my opinion, this move will only serve to cost them even more losses.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:52:23 PM
Keldeo

http://www.examiner.com/photo/ps4-vs-xbox-one-price

As if you needed to see, here is a comparison of the two.
Winner: PS4
Old June 14, 2013, 07:04:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I think this might be the reason for all the game trade silliness.

I have a feeling that they believe they lost so much money to piracy. Well, in my opinion, this move will only serve to cost them even more losses.
I can sum up this picture and why it looks like the way it is:
Sony: Fairly well up until the release of PS3 with a very small game library at launch and expensive price tag at first.
Microsoft: Over-spending on developing and adding features that many people probably won't use, yet somehow gathering an amazing marketing team together in the more current years.
Nintendo: Large amount of followers for making classics since 1981.

I honestly believe Microsoft has only made profit from their products because of a good marketing team. It's like they decided to steal a page from Apple's handbook - questionable designs and "upgrades," but absolutely brilliant marketing team. I expect to see Microsoft to act like a marketing company around the time Xbox One starts showing its face in the advertising world just so they can make a profit off the ill-informed consumer.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:17:00 PM
Volcarona

the dew and doritos promotion can't get you out of this mess, microsoft
Old June 14, 2013, 08:32:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piexing View Post
the dew and doritos promotion can't get you out of this mess, microsoft
Quote:
Microsoft is neither a sponsor of this promotion nor has any responsibilities regarding its conduct or administration.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:38:03 PM
Giratina

I am only getting it cause my mom gets it for a good chunk of a discount. I'll probably end up buying a PS4 anyways :\

EDIT: lol 3060

Last edited by PHANTOMxTRAINER; June 14, 2013 at 08:38:53 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:04:01 PM
Administrator

The latest lulz: Get banned, lose all your games!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/sta...38828606812160
Old June 14, 2013, 09:06:39 PM
Keldeo

WHAT THE HELL DID THEY THINK THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA. WE WILL ROB YOU IDIOTS and then if you **** up, we will take all your games. briliant.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:06:55 PM

Quote:
The latest lulz: Get banned, lose all your games!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/sta...38828606812160
I literally told myself after E3, "well at least Microsoft can't make it any worse for themselves at this point."

I continuously underestimate Microsoft's ability to repeatedly shoot themselves in their own foot.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:10:07 PM
Administrator

At this point, I have a hard time imagining how they can make it worse, yet every day they come up with something that shatters our expectations.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:57:31 PM
Volcarona

Someone in that same conversation asked what would happen if their account got hacked, and the support guy failed to answer the question at all. Literally, all the guy said was to make sure security details are enabled. I can imagine this turning into a major fiasco later on, with hundreds (or thousands) getting hacked, losing licenses to ALL of their games, and then getting stiffed by Microsoft and being told that either (a) it was their fault somehow, or (b) to deal with it.

Watching the Xbox One is getting rather fun. Just so much fail waiting to happen there, and I can't wait until it all blows up in everyone's faces ^^
Old June 15, 2013, 05:37:41 AM
Kyurem

Hmm...

I can only imagine something as bad as this for the next piece of Xbox One "bad news"...

Day one hardware failures?
Old June 15, 2013, 08:38:28 AM
Administrator

I think one major blow is going to be massive returns from consumers with a lack of information of the all the "buts," "howevers," and other restrictions hidden behind the pretty box.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 15, 2013 at 08:38:46 AM.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:45:22 AM
Charizard

Er, well this is a bit late but here we go

For what reason are you getting the Xbox One? Well, there's two,
to be honest I've been using the Xbox 360 since fairly near its release, I have put a ton of effort into my Xbox account and over the years has made me quite the Microsoft fanboy really, though I do not like boasting about the console I'm on is better then the others as I feel that Microsoft really needs to take some time and up their game at the moment.

The other reason would be all the friends I've made on live and real life friends getting it, sort of like peer pressure.

Last edited by Music; June 16, 2013 at 08:10:36 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:13:51 AM

The fact that you can't share games without paying for it is ridiculous. (me and my friend did that a lot when we were still using the 360). Pretty much everyone I've been watching on Youtube is choosing the PS4 over X1. The "losing all of your games for getting banned" rule is going to turn into a complete disaster among strict Xbox users.

Even if a new Halo game is coming on the X1, I'm not getting it (even though I love the franchise... )
Old June 16, 2013, 11:56:13 AM
Keldeo

Apparently if you get banned from Live you don't lose all your games, your just banned from live. Also seems these people can't figure out what is what and therefore can't give us any sort of competent answer.
LINK:http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...nned-from-live

Last edited by GreenMan; June 16, 2013 at 11:57:54 AM. Reason: Details, man
Old June 17, 2013, 04:05:02 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Apparently if you get banned from Live you don't lose all your games, your just banned from live. Also seems these people can't figure out what is what and therefore can't give us any sort of competent answer.
LINK:http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox...nned-from-live
With this answer and the one the Support Feed on Twitter gave, it seems like there are multiple, yet separate branches of Microsoft working to develop the Xbox One.

"You will always have access to the games you purchase"
This almost seems like a double-meaning phrase. What people are seeing is "You will still be able to play your games even if banned," but the Twitter Feed said you'd lose your game licenses.
What if Larry Hyrb meant something along the lines of "You will still have your games and can trade them to friends, but won't be able to play them on your account" and said that to avoid upsetting even more people?
Old June 18, 2013, 11:46:44 PM
Keldeo

Well what does everyone think? Was talking to a long time xbox player, who is a friend and he wasn't to worried about the rumors, them being just that. and everything but here is a new article to read.

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-game-sh...miliy-members/
Old June 19, 2013, 12:28:41 AM
Administrator

I seriously hope this is just the beginning and they get their act together before the release of the thing (but I hope it doesn't jeopardize the success of the Wii U ).
Old June 19, 2013, 05:35:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I am only getting it cause my mom gets it for a good chunk of a discount. I'll probably end up buying a PS4 anyways :\

EDIT: lol 3060
Well you could sell it for a lot more than your mom paid for it and use some/all of that money on a PS4.
Old June 19, 2013, 07:39:36 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablast View Post
Well you could sell it for a lot more than your mom paid for it and use some/all of that money on a PS4.
...if the system can be resold in the first place. I hope so.

What do you think Microsoft has to do to redeem themselves when it comes to Xbox One?
Old June 19, 2013, 11:24:44 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
When will it end? Now it doesn't even have a power button!

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/sta...66492754657281

(I keep finding these Twitter links on GameFAQs.)
This one here bugs me the most about this console, I have a little bit of a speech problem and one of the sounds I am not the best at is "X". So if I would want to turn on a Xbox One, I am probably going to be stuck screaming into my Xbox until it decides to turn on.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:01:39 PM
Administrator

Well, it looks like some of the Twitter messages have been refuted by Microsoft themselves. It really is pretty funny, though. What's worse for PR: retracting statements that stir up controversy (to correct them, perhaps) or the fact that Microsoft's different departments cannot agree on what should be shared about their product?
Old June 19, 2013, 01:02:37 PM
Volcarona

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
180!
Microsoft pulling a complete u-turn on their DRM policy.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:05:18 PM
Haxorus

It's too late for them. The damage is already done.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaberslash View Post
180!
Xbox 180. Hmm, that's not a bad name.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:31:22 PM
Keldeo

http://www.examiner.com/article/micr...m-requirements
**** has got real on the system. Microsoft may be getting smart :0-0:

After listening to consumer feedback, the following changes have been made to Xbox One DRM requirements.

An internet connection will not be required to play games.
There is no 24 hour check-in requirement.
There will be no restrictions on the trading, loaning, giving or sharing of game disks.
Any game disk will work with any Xbox One console.
Games purchased from Xbox LIVE and downloaded will work regardless of whether the console is online or offline.
There will be no Region Locks
Region locks have been dropped
Old June 19, 2013, 09:07:41 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAurorae View Post
It's too late for them. The damage is already done.
The system is not even out yet.

EDIT: Apparently, this requires a day-one console update and a one-time Internet connection. I'd rather take the PS4 anyway, if only because it works like this out of the box without an Internet connection, it seems.

Last edited by Twiggy; June 19, 2013 at 09:24:01 PM.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:58:13 PM
Administrator

I am going to leave this article here without stating my opinion:
http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just...ault-514411905
Old June 20, 2013, 11:51:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I am going to leave this article here without stating my opinion:
http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just...ault-514411905
Eh?

That article is basically saying that with the DRM in place, it could be very good for the 1% that would actually buy it. With the dropped DRM policies, it works roughly similar to the Xbox 360. That works as a gaming console, right?

Besides, I like physical games. I'm not a huge fan of staring at the screen hoping for my download to go up another percent.

Last edited by NismoZ; June 20, 2013 at 11:51:32 AM.