Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 21, 2010, 04:41:56 PM

Default October Tournament- DISCUSSION

Hi there forum-goers! It's time to discuss the tournament of the month. Bear with me, because this one is a bit gimmicky, but bear with me. I would like to think it would produce a nice challenge. I shall post the rules. We are using Generation IV for this tournament. D/P/Pt/HG/SS. We are not using Battle Simulators for this tournament.

GIMMICK: You may only use Pokémon of the Ghost or Dark type, and Pokémon that the Pokédex has stated to be black, and whatever I decide shall be called the color black and the color orange.

Dark Types    
Umbreon, Murkrow, Sneasel, Houndour, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Poochyena, Mightyena, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Sableye, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Absol, Honchkrow, Stunky, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Drapion, Weavile

Ghost Types    
Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Misdreavus, Shedinja, Sableye, Shuppet, Banette, Duskull, Dusclops, Drifloon, Drifblim, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom (NO FORMES ARE TO BE USED)

Bug Types    
Butterfree, Beedrill, Parasect, Venomoth, Scyther, Pinsir, Ledian, Ariados, Yanma, Forretress, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Armaldo, Kricketune, Wormadam, Mothim, Vespiquen, Yanmega

Black Pokémon    
Chatot, Claydol, Mawile, Munchlax, Seviper, Snorlax, Spoink, Unown, Grumpig, Staraptor

Orange Pokémon    
Charizard, Camerupt, Solrock, Seaking, Moltres, Floatzel, Dragonite, Infernape, Arcanine, Heatran, Regirock

SPECIAL EXCEPTION POKEMON
Special exceptions    
Crobat, Marowak

GOLDEN RULE: NEVER IN ANY TOURNAMENT SHALL HACKED POKEMON BE USED, UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE

1. Uber Clause- You shall not use any of the following Pokémon:
List of Ubers    
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys (all forms)
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugi
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Salamence
Shaymin (Sky form)
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

2. Sleep Clause- No two Pokémon may be asleep on the same team, HOWEVER: this does not include self-induced sleep from attacks such as Rest.

3. Evasion Clause- You may not use moves, such as Double Team, to raise your own evasiveness. You may use moves that lower your opponents stats, such as Sand-Attack and Sweet Scent.

4. OHKO Clause- Can't use Sheer Cold, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Fissure.

5. Species Clause- You may not use two of the same National Pokédex Number

6. Selfdestruct Clause- If you use Self-Destruct, Explosion, or Destiny Bond with your last available Pokémon and it faints. You lose. Period.

This is not a sign up thread, but a discussion thread. I'm also considering putting in both Bug and Poison types. I would like some input on this before I finalize things.

Last edited by Ditto616; September 24, 2010 at 12:26:24 PM. Reason: Added Bug Pokemon
Old September 21, 2010, 04:50:23 PM
Kyurem

Hmmm I guess in terms of types, it couldn't hurt to add Bug-types since they are plenty frightening and would allow for a few more Pokemon to be used than the rather tight constraints listed here.
Old September 21, 2010, 04:57:38 PM
Volcarona

This is more gimmicky than recent Sonic ga-*shot

Meh, I don't care, and that's coming from a long time runner of the Sonic franchise. I also agree with Kaz. I just saw a daddy long legs and I was like "H0LY S*#@!".

Last edited by The Tropius of Tropiuses; September 21, 2010 at 04:58:01 PM.
Old September 21, 2010, 05:16:38 PM
Regigigas

Hmm, this sounds right up my alley. I might have to join for the sableyes.
Old September 21, 2010, 05:18:34 PM
Landorus

I might sign up...
What the heck, I'm in!
Old September 21, 2010, 06:43:02 PM
Zoroark

I like it, I'll sign up when and if the time comes.

And because I'm new to this thing, I'm not sure how it works. Is this planned to be enough time for everyone to create a team and EV train them and everything? Or is there no EV training for this, only moves and Pokémon? And secondly, I don't do Wi-Fi battles often. Is there an option to set everyone's Pokémon to level 100, or should we do the training ourselves? I know these seem like stupid questions, but I'd like them to be answered.

Last edited by pokemoneinstein; September 21, 2010 at 06:46:57 PM.
Old September 21, 2010, 09:57:43 PM
Celebi

OOOH! GHOST TYPE TOURNEY! I'M IN!
Old September 21, 2010, 10:52:04 PM
Giratina

Wow, that's... Different...

I think you should add at least bug types - Right now there's really not enough Pokémon.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:53:46 AM
Zoroark

Interesting, I just might like this idea for a tourney.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:38:31 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoneinstein View Post
I like it, I'll sign up when and if the time comes.

And because I'm new to this thing, I'm not sure how it works. Is this planned to be enough time for everyone to create a team and EV train them and everything? Or is there no EV training for this, only moves and Pokémon? And secondly, I don't do Wi-Fi battles often. Is there an option to set everyone's Pokémon to level 100, or should we do the training ourselves? I know these seem like stupid questions, but I'd like them to be answered.
Basically aside from the battle rules, its anything goes for team raising. Most people will EV train to get the best results, but you don't have to, it'll just make it a wee bit harder to win. And yes, there is an level 100 option, so you can get a Pokemon to any level you need and it'll go up to 100.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:47:05 AM
Giratina

Looks pretty good... wait.
Can we use allowed Pokemon even if they are shiny? (Example: Shiny dragonite = green)
Old September 22, 2010, 11:17:31 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Looks pretty good... wait.
Can we use allowed Pokemon even if they are shiny? (Example: Shiny dragonite = green)
If you look at a Pokémon's Pokédex page it's given a color by the game. I take it we're going by that, in which case the answer to your question is no.
Old September 22, 2010, 02:19:26 PM

Alright. I'll add Bug types into the mix. I'm still considering Psychic and Poison types, so give me your input on that. I would also say that Shiny Pokemon are fine, such as your example. I was actually thinking about doing that for Shiny Pokemon that are orange or black, but that would be a little more confusing and tempting people to hack.

We are going by the Pokedex color to a point. There is no orange, so I compiled the list myself, and added one or two to the black.
Old September 22, 2010, 02:44:40 PM
Zoroark

I say no to Poison and Psychic, unless you take out Bug. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, thanks, Alakazamater!

Last edited by pokemoneinstein; September 22, 2010 at 02:52:05 PM.
Old September 23, 2010, 02:41:07 AM
Giratina

I'm in favor of Poison-type because a lot of the Poison-types in the game are pretty scary/weird/creepy/other adjective here looking.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:14:23 PM
Haxorus

This sounds like an interesting tournament, I'll join!
Old September 23, 2010, 03:16:42 PM
Kyurem

Keep in mind that this isn't sign-ups people. -.-'
Old September 23, 2010, 03:43:21 PM
Volcarona

Posin types, mabey. But I don't know. If you wanna add s'more into the mix, then go ahead.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:48:50 PM
Landorus

Hm... we should put in pokemon that look like Candy...
Old September 23, 2010, 04:25:32 PM
Volcarona

Pokemon that look like candy! Good idea!

What are they?
Old September 23, 2010, 06:14:35 PM
Joltik

I'd like to join when it's up, even though I'm fairly new here. I have loads of pokemon that are perfect for this!

I also second the inclusion of poison types on the count of it being scary. After all, if buzzing pests are considered frightening (I personally don't find butterflies, moths, or praying mantises to be scary). . . Then poison - that can KILL YOU or PUT YOU IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN if you come in contact with it - must be even more frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
If you look at a Pokémon's Pokédex page it's given a color by the game. I take it we're going by that, in which case the answer to your question is no.
Erm, wouldn't that mean shiny pokemon that have orange colors be allowed?
Old September 23, 2010, 06:21:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Erm, wouldn't that mean shiny pokemon that have orange colors be allowed?
Actually, no. First of all, there is no Orange color on the Pokédex. I had to come up with those myself. Secondly, the Pokédex doesn't show the colors of Shinies, and therefore doesn't represent the color of shinies. Plus, I'd have to go through all 493 Pokémon to see if they had the color that met the criteria. That would not have been fun.
Old September 23, 2010, 09:34:10 PM
Regigigas

If we're really going for a spooky Halloween theme, here are the Pokemon that I think should be useable:
Arbok, Persian, Muk, Gengar, Hypno, Marowak, Pinsir, Noctowl, Ariados, Crobat, Politoed, Umbreon, Houndoom, Mightyena, Shiftry, Shedinja, Sableye, Seviper, Lunatone, Claydol, Banette, Absol, Drifblim, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Spiritomb, Toxicroak, Weavile, Tangrowth, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom,
Old September 23, 2010, 09:38:07 PM
Celebi

Half of them ARE usable. But you mentioned Poison types and threw a few water and grass types as well.
Old September 24, 2010, 06:43:34 AM
Regigigas

I'm just saying that Crobat is very halloween themed, whereas Skuntank and Tyranitar are not.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:25:23 PM

I do agree with the Crobat, and that it should be in.
I'm going to make a special exception spoiler. Both Crobat and Marowak will be in it. Marowak because of the skull on its head.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:54:03 PM
Joltik

can cradily be used? it looks pretty scary...
Old September 24, 2010, 03:13:40 PM
Volcarona

Here's some random Halloween facts to make us brainstorm on ideas.

- The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts wondered the streets on all Hallows Eve so they began wearing masks and costumes in order to not be recognized as human.

- On Halloween, Irish peasants would beg the rich for food. For those that refused, they would play a practical joke. So, in an effort to avoid being tricked, the rich would hand out cookies, candy, and fruit – a practice that morphed into trick-or-treating today.

- The official Orange and Black colors of Halloween came from orange being associated with fall harvest and black symbolizing darkness and death.

- Magician, Harry Houdini died on Halloween, 1926 in Detroit, MI.

- Black cats were originally thought to protect witche's power from negative forces(Purgly, anyone?)

- Ringing a bell scares evil spirits away(Chimeco, perhaps?)

*credit to www.rexanne.com/hwn-facts.html and http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...een/facts.htm*

I'll put more some time later on.

Here's one: To meet a witch, put your clothes on backward snd walk backwards on Halloween night.
Old September 24, 2010, 06:05:56 PM
Giratina

Ok, I don't care if you were able to mention two Pokemon in that post, that was COMPLETELY off-topic.

Back on topic.
I support the idea of putting Poison types in the tournament, mainly because a lot of poison types have something to do with being scary (although, if I was asked to give an example, the only thing I could come up with is Arbok and Sciviper).
Old September 24, 2010, 06:28:11 PM
Kyurem

I went through the Poison-type list, and not very many of them are particularly frightening. Naturally stuff like Drapion and Gengar come up, but they are already being taken care of.

There are just really few Poison-types hat are scary, and it would seem a little silly to make an exception for two Pokemon, two of which aren't even good at battling.
Old September 24, 2010, 07:00:24 PM
Giratina

Good point Ala, but its going to bug me. For whatever reason, when I think scary, I think of Poison and witches. (Maybe because of witches mixing up some poison in a pot?)
Old September 26, 2010, 11:28:12 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Ok, I don't care if you were able to mention two Pokemon in that post, that was COMPLETELY off-topic.
I disagree, actually, I think it is a good list of myths and facts to base ideas of new Pokémon to be allowed in the tournament on.

EDIT: And as long as we're making exceptions for "scary" Pokémon, Gyrados could be considered scary, I guess. As well as Kabutops.

Last edited by pokemoneinstein; September 27, 2010 at 01:34:47 PM.
Old September 27, 2010, 05:31:38 PM
Giratina

Gyrados, no. Kabutops actually makes some sense, along with the rest of the fossil Pokemon.

Why? Fossil Pokemon are "extinct" (according to Gen 1) so technically, they are undead Pokemon. And I would find undead things to be scary.

But if we made too many exceptions, we might as well get rid of the gimmick in this tournament.
Old September 27, 2010, 06:12:54 PM
Zoroark

True. Though maybe we could just change it to "scary" Pokémon, and take out the color and typing requirements. This is a discussion about what the contest would be, after all. For example, Floatzel is orange, but I wouldn't consider it to be scary. it could go. I don't consider Froslass, Rotom, or the Drifloon family to be scary (though I could see why some would disagree). They might be dismissed. There are a ton of Bug types which could stand to be disqualified from the tournament. Butterfree, Ledian, Volbeat, Illumise, Masquerain, to name a few.

And if we just go by scary looking, there are obviously a lot of good contenders. But I'd also like to point out a lot of Pokémon that would appear scary at first glance. For example, Parasect doesn't look that creepy, but it's brain is being fully controlled by mushrooms. It can't even think for itself anymore. That's a pretty haunting fact.

I have no doubts that it will be a successful contest, regardless of whether it's orange and black Pokémon plus Bug, Ghost, and Dark types, or if it's only the scary-looking or feeling Pokémon.
Old September 28, 2010, 05:52:02 PM

In my mind, it's not what is and is not scary, it's what is supposed to represent Halloween, which are things like ghosts, and evil, and colors associated with it like orange and black. The two exceptions are definitely fitting with the theme though.

As of now, this discussion is closed, if we're to do the changes that I will detail in the sign-up thread.