Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction > Fan Fiction and Literature

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 5, 2013, 10:07:03 AM

Default Reun Writes Poetry

Hey guys, more than recently I've been thinking about composing poetry. Most of the poems that I'll post will most likely be done during History class . Let me know what you guys think; I'll put spoilers at the bottom of the poems explaining the meaning behind each one. Without further ado...here's my first one!

The Deep Descent
-By David

It was the day passion was sent to die.
The pages bludgeoned with red fill the unfinished catacomb.
The ink well has run dry.

The writer has revealed his work in a mysterious air.
The confused scholar gawks in his intellectual dome.

Look how the envious eyes stare-
The book becomes blank and diluted; monochrome.

Innocent imagination was locked away with care.
Listen to its plea for alluring home-

The pen has snapped twice in the dreaded snare.
Witness the weary path it did roam.

The Deep Descent [Explained]    
I don't know why, but I wanted my first poem to be a villanelle. This particular one can be looked at from a few different perspectives, but my intent in writing this was to mock the way English class was taught at my school in 10th grade onward. There is no more imagination in English class; we don't compose poetry, only study it. Without passion or imagination, we all are bound to studying poetry instead of actually making poetry. I've been very much inspired by my 9th grade English teacher to keep being creative and charismatic in my writing. Case and point of this poem...never stop being creative and expressing yourself. Studying poetry can be helpful, but it will become useless if you don't actually start writing poetry or being creative. 

Last edited by Reuniclus; April 5, 2013 at 10:12:41 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:32:56 AM
Haxorus

Loved your poem. xD

It was a little repetitious for me, I'm not a fan of too much repetition. But I can really respect your own personal meaning for this poem. A lot of my friends and family disagree/don't understand me when I talk about how English ruins creativity. I keep saying how it should be about being creative and using the language in new ways, and not about works of old that don't really matter in relevance to the class, or studying things that don't have any relevance to most jobs.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:44:42 PM

Villanelles are supposed to be repetitious And free verse is one of my favorites too.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:40:50 PM
Volcarona

Wow, you've really impressed me. This is some brilliant work. I can't wait to see your next poem. Also, I like free verse, too. :3