Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old May 7, 2014, 06:13:45 AM
Kyurem

Default Gen III Remakes Confirmed. No, Seriously.

Recently revealed were the 3DS remakes for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. These games are planned for release in November 2014. Like Pokémon X and Y, these games will be released worldwide simultaneously.

A trailer has been released at Pokemon.com revealing the boxart and approximate release date. The cover Pokemon are Groudon and Kyogre, as expected. Though they do look slightly different...Mega Evolutions, perhaps?

Discuss.

Sources: Pokemon.com, Serebii.net

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 7, 2014 at 11:56:06 AM. Reason: Added video
Old May 7, 2014, 06:27:56 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post

The cover Pokemon are Groudon and Kyogre, as expected. Though they do look slightly different...Mega Evolutions, perhaps?

Discuss.

Sources: Pokemon.com, Serebii.net
They only have slight coloration differences. No major changes to design, so I don't think they are new megas.

But seriously. I just got out of my physics final and walk into this.

MFW:
Old May 7, 2014, 06:40:44 AM

Definitely getting Alpha Sapphire version~
Old May 7, 2014, 06:41:20 AM
Regigigas

Official announcement video from the Pokémon channel on Youtube. Looks like it's coming out in November, just in time for Christmas.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:59:18 AM
Shaymin

I wasn't a huge fan of all the hype when people were just begging for Hoenn remakes, but seeing that it's coming true is amazing. I can't wait, and I've been squealing all morning! I'm so glad I don't have school. How am I expected to study for my exams though? This is so exciting! I was on the Pokemon Miiverse community when out of nowhere loads of Ruby & Sapphire posts came up. I'm getting both for sure. Think of that glorious trumpet soundtrack! And what is the significance of them using the Greek letters Alpha and Omega?
Old May 7, 2014, 07:32:28 AM
Administrator

ZOMG HOENN CONFIRMED!!!!!11111111111

Cool, was kinda expecting this to happen (not because of all the "conspiracy theories"), but nice to see it finally coming to fruition. Totally getting Omega Ruby.

Also yay, now all the conspiracy theorists can shut up (beyond the fact being proven right).
Old May 7, 2014, 07:36:47 AM
Celebi

Holy yes! I'm so nostalgiac for Emerald, I loved that game. And for once, I'm not sure which I'll be getting, since I was always torn between Kyogre and Groudon.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:55:02 AM
Volcarona

I'm having a hard time finding words. All I can say is, yes. Just yes.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:15:02 AM
Keldeo

Who wants to camp outside Gamestop for a week with me?

Really hope these games are implemented better than X and Y were. Imagine. Groudon and Kyogre duking it out in 3D? Trumpets of Hoenn on a 3DS sound card?
Old May 7, 2014, 08:51:37 AM
Haxorus

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Now I can finally finish the epic of my childhood, from my first Pokemon game. I seriously cannot wait. The hype is real. I hope they fix the issues with lag in 3D during battles. That was a bit of a killer. I'll save up, maybe grab the probable special edition 3DS XL. Can't wait.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:57:24 AM

This is proof that with enough patience, Nintendo tends to listen to their fans more than other game companies. I guess everyone is going to whine for Diamond/Pearl remakes now?
SINNOH CONFIR-*shot*
Old May 7, 2014, 09:30:26 AM
Keldeo

Heard a lot of evidence both ways for this being sequel vs. remake, so right now I'm going to guess that these will be "expanded remakes." Same RS story, with more built on top of it.

Anyone remember this image, and how people could never decide if it was pointing to Hoenn or some new place? It could very easily be . . . both.

Also, Nintendo is a company with a physical addiction to remaking things, so I would be very surprised if they were purely sequels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62410_thumb_wide610.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6162  
Old May 7, 2014, 10:11:55 AM
Celebi

-Wakes Up
-Sees The trailer
-Gets Hype

brb Getting Omega Ruby
Old May 7, 2014, 10:14:21 AM
Rayquaza

Refrences to other regions in XY + Lack of Hoenn Legendaries + Random Video = Fiore Confirmed!

In all seriousness I'm happy they announced this, it's the fifth year in a row North America is getting a new Pokemon game. Which is great since it means no year long drought after a main game release.

I was kind of hoping that a Wii U game would get revealed but thia i kind of better.
However HGSS taught to set my expectations low when it came to remakes, especially ones that originally weren't very flawed to begin with but I guess this is better then nothing.

Expect the biggest change to be Wallace's team getting changed.

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 7, 2014 at 10:15:21 AM.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:08:36 PM
Volcarona

>Hoenn Confirmed
And now here comes the Sinnoh confirmed people.

Last edited by zsaberslash; May 7, 2014 at 12:13:20 PM. Reason: It's gonna happen. Also, 3D trumpets.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:14:42 PM
Administrator

Okay, I need to collect my thoughts before saying anything. It's hard not being excited. I love how absolutely vague that announcement video is. There's practically nothing in it, and to be honest...it's going to be incredibly hard avoiding spoilers.

As for which version I'll get, I'm not sure. Pokémon Sapphire was the first video game I ever purchased on release date, and I definitely don't regret it. However, I prefer Groudon. I take no preference of team, but I do know I'm going to choose Blaziken (yeah, you know I'm picking the fire type the first "first" time through).

</calmness>

Anyway, oh heck yes, I've been wanting to see new Pokémon games. While I didn't necessarily need Gen III remakes, they're certainly a welcome sight. It'll be a lot of fun playing through one a remake of one of the most nostalgic games of my childhood, as the originals feel incredibly dated (physical/special move based on typing, Surf hitting only the opponents, many missing abilities and moves, 386 Pokémon, and so on). Also, don't forget the original contests and PokéBlocks. I do wonder if I'll be able to bring my Blaziken from the original Sapphire and continue where I left off in the contest halls.

I don't really care about competitive battling, but of course I'm hoping that pans out and fixes how incredibly dry Smogonites have turned it lately. Don't turn this topic into that, please.

I shall be adding a new board for speculation and such, while retiring the Black 2/White 2 board into the "Other" category.
Edit: Here's a link to the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire board.

</collectedness>

HALF LIFE 3 CONF--oh wait, wrong conspiracy theory. Ahem...
SHINY CHARM CONF--hmm, I think I'm being a bit of a slowpoke. Let's try again.
CONFIRMED CONF--wait, that makes no sense.
Ah, whatever.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 7, 2014 at 12:34:08 PM.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:30:53 PM
Zoroark

Well, this justifies my purchase of a 3ds. #gethype
Old May 7, 2014, 12:47:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I do wonder if I'll be able to bring my Blaziken from the original Sapphire and continue where I left off in the contest halls.
Hmm, interesting point. These are the first remakes where it is actually possible to bring in Pokemon from the original game.

Also found this in regards to the remakes and can't stop laughing at it:

Last edited by Yoshi648; May 7, 2014 at 12:48:22 PM.
Old May 7, 2014, 04:45:59 PM
Giratina

...Well then, it does look a bit interesting. But I still don't like GameFreak and I still don't like Hoenn. I'm definitely getting Alpha Sapphire, but it won't be anywhere near the release date.

But I'm looking forward to see how they spruce up the already amazing soundtrack, I'm gonna have to prepare my remixing skills~
Old May 7, 2014, 04:52:53 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Definitely getting Alpha Sapphire version~
Um, how about getting both, obviously~?

But seriously. Like, seriously. This news was so hard to grasp, even when I saw the "No, Seriously." on the thread's title, I still thought y'all were pulling my leg. I still can't believe this, I still feel like it's a dream, 3 hours after seeing this. This is just too much for me emotionally. I know that Gen 3 in retrospect wasn't exactly fantastic in a fair amount of aspects, but this just means too much for me. Gen 3 was the entryway for what would shape the majority of what my life has been and will continue to be. This is like what Elvis was to John Lennon or what seeing Jesse Pinkman escape the DEA for the first time was to Walter White(yeah, I know, weird reference). This is all just too magical for me. Everything, from joining Victory Road to the personal tastes of a majority of music I like to listen to and games I liked to play has formed from Ruby and Sapphire. I don't even care on the quality or how good they'll be too much as long as they are well designed as remakes. So many memories from listening to and being inspired by the beautifully composed music to all the exciting moments of beating the elite four and the champion. I know I'm super nostalgia-blinded right now, but this just means a lot to me. It's not that I'm kissing up to Nintendo or am just being a fanboy, it's just the sudden realization of how much of an impact these games have had on me is really surprising. I do hope as games that they do actually turn out well, however. It would be a shame if these games that are extremely signifcant (to me) turn out to be ugly in the end. Sorry if this all sounds super pretentious, I'm just very happy right now, after just having gotten a mental review of the past 10 years or so of my life blasted through my memory. If I could sum up all of my thoughts in one word, though, it would be "Yes."

Last edited by Eagles; May 7, 2014 at 07:02:08 PM.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:10:50 PM
Kyurem

I kinda figured we get these one day. Lol good thing i restarted emerald, now i'll be able to bore myself with it till these come out. Now i actully can catch a Kyorge without using that dang rng on emerald to get some decent IVs for kyogre.
Old May 7, 2014, 06:13:13 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I kinda figured we get these one day.
Somewhat on this note, was anyone else expecting this to be some big Nintendo Direct or E3 announcement, and then was completely bowled over when Pokémon uploaded a 30-second video to their YouTube channel some random Wednesday morning?
Old May 7, 2014, 06:50:14 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Somewhat on this note, was anyone else expecting this to be some big Nintendo Direct or E3 announcement, and then was completely bowled over when Pokémon uploaded a 30-second video to their YouTube channel some random Wednesday morning?
When people told me there was no Nintendo Direct I thought they were lying. And I still think they're lying. That trailer was the most underwhelming thing I've ever seen. Oh well, now that it's out there it's definitely gonna get E3 love. I'd love to see what music they have to present.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:59:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
...Pokémon uploaded a 30-second video to their YouTube channel some random Wednesday morning?
A random Wednesday morning in the month of...

Also, possible connection for names?

The games aren't going to be out for another half year, a proper trailer will come up eventually (I'm guessing somewhere around E3 time which is next month).
Old May 7, 2014, 08:50:31 PM
Keldeo

Found this page a little while ago. In addition to talking about some other upcoming Nintendo games, it gives the category "full-remakes" to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. So I guess this clears that issue up.

And of course I forget to link the actual article: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...508/index.html

Last edited by Dragonite; May 7, 2014 at 08:51:18 PM.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:50:57 PM
Kyurem

Hey wasnt there a member that was saying something about they wished hoenn should get a remake and they said to see the clouds in glorious 3d or something? I dont remeber who said that, it was a few years ago tho.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:56:16 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I do wonder if I'll be able to bring my Blaziken from the original Sapphire and continue where I left off in the contest halls.
Unfortunately no since there's actually no contest data for pokemon in XY, although they could just do another update.
Old May 7, 2014, 09:17:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hey wasnt there a member that was saying something about they wished hoenn should get a remake and they said to see the clouds in glorious 3d or something? I dont remeber who said that, it was a few years ago tho.
There were a lot of people who have said things about wanting 3D remakes of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. I wouldn't doubt a few of them were around here.
Old May 8, 2014, 07:33:10 AM
Kyurem

Cool. Will be buying.

And honestly, that's what I've always predicted; the platforms and the engines have been improved so much, it's getting harder to play GBA games, and soon we're not going to be able to trade 3rd gen Pokemon up to X and Y. It's like how FR/LG were released in the same year as the Nintendo DS, with Nintendo predicting that in a few years everybody would be using that and wouldn't be able to play the old games without an obsolete console. Now that the old DSes that could play GBA games are becoming obsolete, it just makes sense.

Also, wow, I disappear for a couple days and this happens. Maybe I should do that more often and we'll get more good news.

Last edited by NismoZ; May 8, 2014 at 07:33:48 AM. Reason: how do i grammars
Old May 8, 2014, 10:01:55 AM
Keldeo

Should I make a spoiler/update thread about this?

One of my friends just alerted me of this, posted by Serebii earlier today:

Spoiler Alert:    
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebii
Following its reveal yesterday, there has been some question as to the actual content of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, as to whether they're remakes or new versions due to the wording of the announcement. During the Investor Briefing today, Satoru Iwata confirmed that Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire are full-remakes of the 2002 releases, Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire. We'll bring more on these games as it comes
Edit @ 15:38: The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon. We'll bring more on this as it comes
Old May 8, 2014, 11:22:54 AM
Kyurem

Im thinking there either new Megas or new Forms. Time will tell tho.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:02:46 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Im thinking there either new Megas or new Forms. Time will tell tho.
Considering GameFreak's new obsession they're probably mega evolutions and not forms. Hopefully the other starters get mega evolutions too so they don't appear inadequate.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:42:16 PM
Kyurem

Im also hoping we get these:

Souther island- To catch the opposite lati.

Faraway Isle- To catch Mew (As japan's emerald was the only way to catch in-game)

The island for Deoxys- To catch it of course.

Battle Frontier- For move tutors (I bet we get something of the sort anyways)

Maybe Navel rock?- To catch Lugia & Ho-oh in 6th gen.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:47:05 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Souther island- To catch the opposite lati.
Faraway Isle- To catch Mew (As japan's emerald was the only way to catch in-game)
The island for Deoxys- To catch it of course.
Navel rock?- To catch Lugia & Ho-oh in 6th gen.
And hopefully a little easier to access than they were in the originals >:

And Mirage Island, because why not. >:]
Old May 8, 2014, 02:36:40 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Considering GameFreak's new obsession they're probably mega evolutions and not forms.
Actually, in my opinion they don't seem extravagant enough to be Megas. I'm betting on new Formes.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:53:41 PM
Keldeo

As far as I can tell the only difference between them and normal Groudon/Kyogre is the trio lines on the arms and stuff (they glow, and there are some slight pattern differences). Only a few people I talked to so far have noticed the pattern differences at all, and I sure didn't until I tried sitting down and drawing them yesterday, so I think a change in design altogether is more likely at this point than a new set of Megas.
Old May 9, 2014, 07:06:54 AM
Giratina

WOWOWOWOWOW YAS. I've started my Pokemon journey with my cousin's Pokemon Sapphire, so this is extremely exciting news for me! My favorite starter line ever (treecko, grovyle, sceptile), my favorite legendary trio, ah this is great! I'm just gonna keep it brief, but my excitement is as long as the bible AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Old May 9, 2014, 10:54:17 AM

Mirage Island is going to be a lot easier to get to now. Especially if they implement Wonder Trade.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:08:23 AM

I hope pokeblocks come back. I like them more than poffins
Old May 10, 2014, 06:12:59 PM
Giratina

It seems we've got a new official sneak peek!

Absolutely riveting, isn't it? I can't wait until we get some REAL info...
Old May 10, 2014, 06:13:48 PM
Administrator

A bit of the opening cinematic showing Groudon and Kyogre was shown today:

Old May 10, 2014, 06:26:33 PM
Rayquaza

That was a bit underwhelming.

I'm worried this going to be more of a RS remake and ignore everything about Emerald and make us buy a third Hoenn remake.

Last edited by Magmaster12; May 10, 2014 at 06:28:12 PM.
Old May 10, 2014, 06:40:17 PM
Giratina

Impeccable timing, Yoshi!

I'm pretty sure more news will start to come in as we approach November. Specifically look for things pertaining to the Battle Frontier and Scott and whatever else they might have, and if it's not there then it's without Emerald features.
Old May 10, 2014, 07:18:34 PM
Administrator

Underwhelming? That's because there's no epic orchestration to go along with it. I'm sure it'll be breathtaking in the final game.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 10, 2014 at 07:18:49 PM.
Old May 10, 2014, 07:35:03 PM
Giratina

More like underwhelming because nothing was actually shown in that video other than standard X & Y graphics.
Old May 22, 2014, 05:26:01 PM
Regigigas

Lol, the way they decided to show the game is very, very underwhelming. Garbage, even. I guess they're waiting for E3. I wouldn't even show it at E3 if it isn't anything besides a "recoloring" of RSE with the XY engine.

Last edited by Sub-zero; May 22, 2014 at 05:26:10 PM.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:25:46 PM
Keldeo

Polar opposite of what they did for X and Y, right?

I got a FILSAMECH Spot Pass Mii today. June 10, aye?
Old May 22, 2014, 07:43:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I got a FILSAMECH Spot Pass Mii today. June 10, aye?
I got that a few days ago.
Old May 23, 2014, 06:51:53 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Polar opposite of what they did for X and Y, right?
Indeed. It makes me wonder if they care about this game, which kind of concerns me. As with the other remakes, I'm afraid of it just being a recoloring with nothing different in the story or map. If it is, I might even consider skipping the game.

On topic with X and Y, even though the hype was up, the game itself was underwhelming with it's lack of new Pokemon, interesting story and even characters with solid stories (excluding Looker.)
Old May 23, 2014, 07:58:04 PM
Keldeo

Admittedly, it would take a LOT of work to make Ruby and Sapphire as disappointing as X and Y were. They could just recreate Hoenn one-to-one with X and Y graphics and the game would already be better than X and Y were by several orders of ten, and it sounds like they've been working on this for a while (they had hints of this thing probably before even X and Y were released) so I think it's pretty fair to have high hopes this time.
Old May 23, 2014, 08:52:38 PM
Volcarona

You guys didnt like X\Y? I thought they were great!
Old May 25, 2014, 05:19:04 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Admittedly, it would take a LOT of work to make Ruby and Sapphire as disappointing as X and Y were. They could just recreate Hoenn one-to-one with X and Y graphics and the game would already be better than X and Y were by several orders of ten, and it sounds like they've been working on this for a while (they had hints of this thing probably before even X and Y were released) so I think it's pretty fair to have high hopes this time.
That's true since RSE's plot was better, but it can still be pretty watered down and focused on visuals only like XY. I don't know if that's true (that they've been working on it for a while), but if it is, I guess it would be ok to have at least a moderate standard for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
I didn't like it much outside of competitive play. No replay value (exclude online), hardly any new Pokemon, shallow story, and uninteresting characters.

Good concepts were presented, like Inverse Battles and customization. They just aren't explored fully yet, which is unfortunate.
Old May 25, 2014, 05:29:48 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
Resisting the urge to pick them apart here and now, but I wrote a rather long review of them a while ago which you might enjoy.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:51:53 PM
Rayquaza

These games are more then likely being directed by Shigeki Morimoto whose last game as a director was Heart Gold, personally I thought he did an awful job by ignoring some of the big flaws of the original game and his obsession with ridiculous gimmicks. While I do like the Pokethon it seemed unnecessary, same for walk pokemon and the stupid gold leaf event. Even the PokeWalker was kind of stupid in my opinion.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:56:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
These games are more then likely being directed by Shigeki Morimoto whose last game as a director was Heart Gold, personally I thought he did an awful job by ignoring some of the big flaws of the original game and his obsession with ridiculous gimmicks. While I do like the Pokethon it seemed unnecessary, same for walk pokemon and the stupid gold leaf event. Even the PokeWalker was kind of stupid in my opinion.
I have to agree. I liked the Pokeathlon and the fact that you could walk around with your Pokémon, but I was kind of disappointed with certain aspects. The first thing that comes to mind is the GB Player; they attempted to recreate the old music from GSC, but they did a terrible job with it; it doesn't sound the same at all.

I just hope they don't make the same mistakes with the Gen 3 remakes.

Last edited by Reuniclus; May 25, 2014 at 06:57:20 PM.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:27:48 PM
Administrator

Hm, I rather doubt they'd have a return of the classic tunes from Ruby/Sapphire. It could be a little too "new," if you get what I mean.