Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 5, 2010, 01:58:46 PM
Charizard

Default Playing the TCG Competitively?

It seems like many of you just collect the cards. Do any of you actually have a decent deck? Would it be considered tournament worthy?

I use sort of Grass/Psychic healing deck mainly involving Leafeon and Gardevoir. I haven't purchased cards in nearly a year, but I still think my deck is pretty good. I've never entered a TCG tournament and don't think I ever will, but I know a couple of people that are really into that sort of thing.

What about you guys? Do you play the TCG? How good are you? Would you consider entering a tournament?
Old June 10, 2010, 07:51:34 AM
Shaymin

Ever heard of YVD(Yu-Gi-Oh Virtual Desktop)? It's a duel simulator using Yu-Gi-Oh cards, you can build a deck and play against your buddies online if you both have Hamachi. While it's one of the many Yu-Gi-Oh dueling programs, I don't know if there's any for the Pokémon TCG...If there was one, I'd probably get it and play it a lot, then I could say I play it competitvely. :3
Old June 10, 2010, 11:29:31 PM
Charizard

Yeah, I use YVD actually. There is one for Pokemon, but I've never tried it out.

http://pokebeach.com/tcg/redshark
Old June 11, 2010, 09:25:12 AM
Servine

I do actually have a deck. Its a team rocket deck. I used to battle my brother but i never joined a tournament. I thought about it though.
Old August 22, 2010, 05:19:12 PM
Volcarona

I wish there were some way you could play online. There's no one that I know of that plays the game.

I still like collecting the cards and organizing them into decks, though. I have a fully completed Grass/Water deck, but I'm not sure if it's good.

Last edited by LucarioMario; August 22, 2010 at 05:19:32 PM.
Old August 23, 2010, 04:56:29 AM
Celebi

I made a steel deck. It would be Electric if I had a Rotom card. The highlights of my deck are Registeel STAR and Dialga.
Old August 31, 2010, 04:05:57 PM
Joltik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir View Post
It seems like many of you just collect the cards. Do any of you actually have a decent deck? Would it be considered tournament worthy?

I use sort of Grass/Psychic healing deck mainly involving Leafeon and Gardevoir. I haven't purchased cards in nearly a year, but I still think my deck is pretty good. I've never entered a TCG tournament and don't think I ever will, but I know a couple of people that are really into that sort of thing.

What about you guys? Do you play the TCG? How good are you? Would you consider entering a tournament?
I run LuxChomp and Ive entered a ton of tourneys. End of story.
Old October 27, 2010, 04:14:27 PM
Servine

An alternative to redshark is Apprentice, it's the older of the two programs.

And yes, I played competitively in the past, but I don't really have time these days to do so anymore ;/
Old February 15, 2011, 12:38:48 PM
Volcarona

I went on Serebii.net just now, and it says there will soon be an official way to play the TCG online. http://www.pokemontcg.com/

All I can say is: OH MY ARCEUS THIS IS THE GREATEST THING TPC CAME UP WITH! (Article on Serebii.net: http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml (The one titled "Tuesday: Pokemon Movie Details + Official TCG Simulation))

So yeah, when this thing is available, I'm definitely going to be playing the TCG competitively.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:53:39 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucarioMario View Post
I went on Serebii.net just now, and it says there will soon be an official way to play the TCG online. http://www.pokemontcg.com/

All I can say is: OH MY ARCEUS THIS IS THE GREATEST THING TPC CAME UP WITH! (Article on Serebii.net: http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml (The one titled "Tuesday: Pokemon Movie Details + Official TCG Simulation))

So yeah, when this thing is available, I'm definitely going to be playing the TCG competitively.
That's only against computer opponents, though.

I have played in a lot of tournaments over the years (and judged a few), so I am a competitive player.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:39:07 PM
Joltik

Redshark is a good tcg simulator. I stopped playing the real thing because there were way too many power creeps. I spent way too much than I should have :/

Last edited by Premonition; February 17, 2011 at 11:39:29 PM.
Old February 18, 2011, 12:57:52 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbragg View Post
That's only against computer opponents, though.
I know that, but aren't they planning on making it multiplayer sometime after it's finished? 030

Either way, I'm still going to try this out.
Old March 2, 2011, 02:19:05 AM
Zoroark

I recently brought a starter deck just so I could see some Pokemon cards, i lost my complete set of the original cards when moving. I was gutted, still sad now actually. ahaa
Old March 19, 2011, 11:08:31 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premonition View Post
Redshark is a good tcg simulator. I stopped playing the real thing because there were way too many power creeps. I spent way too much than I should have :/
Well, that's how almost all TCGs seem to work: Make better and better cards in order to keep having people spend more money trying to obtain them. Then if an older card is still too good, they limit it, ban it, or cycle it out of the metagame.

It's so frustrating that it hardly seems worth playing any actual TCGs when the simulators exist.