Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 22, 2012, 08:34:28 PM
Servine

Default Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior?

Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior? After you say yes or no, explain why or why not.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:10:47 AM
Rayquaza

I remember having such a topic in one of my school's annual debate. It was an interesting topic, with both sides having equal amount of sufficient evidence to prove their point. The topic can be very arguable.

I personally think that although some video games contribute to the creation of aggression in the personalities of children, they were never the main factor. Our world itself is governed by wars and crime. Societies got used to such news everyday that it has become normal to children and thus, they are raised with a sense of aggression, with or without playing video games. A proof to that is that centuries ago, children used to play and practice fights among themselves. We used to do that when we were young; wrestling and sword fights. Maybe it is in out nature to be aggressive to those they hurt us and peaceful to those we love.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:36:25 PM
Haxorus

Hm... Well, in my opinion, video games add just as much to an aggressive behavior as movies and music do. Heck, movies and music can at least send a message about whatever. Video games are literally just for fun. I mean, most of the time, kids have enough sense to realize that what they do in video games is completely different and wouldn't be acceptable in real life. But for some reason, adults usually blame all this violence on video games, almost specifically. While they can cause some rage due to annoying and/or hard parts, and sometimes add to an unhealthy mindset, video games really never are the sole or main reason that some of the things in this world happen. And if concerned parents actually wanted to do something about it, they would be responsible and actually do something about it. But most of the time, parents don't even look on the label of what they're buying their kids.

Last edited by Eagles; March 26, 2012 at 02:37:13 PM.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:44:49 PM
Giratina

Video games, by themselves, do not cause aggressive behavior. Aggressive behavior roots from many, many reasons. The main reasons being parents behavior around the children, the child's friends' behaviors, those who pick on the child (if applicable), the shows the children watch, and maybe even the books the child reads. These are just some of the more common factors that could cause aggressive behavior, but there are plenty out there, maybe even some that are completely out-there and make no sense in any person's mind.

That being said, I do think heavy playtime of extremely violent video games may be a contributing factor in aggressive behavior, but it shouldn't be the first thing people blame for aggressive behavior in a child.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:43:10 PM
Volcarona

As the saying goes: guns don't kill, criminals kill.

The same principle also applies to video games and aggressive behavior.

I played some gruesome games as a little kid, like Die By The Sword, but I don't go around, hitting people with things and being aggressive towards others.

While this debate does apply to certain individuals, not all people become aggressive even if they grew up with violent video games. It all depends on the individual. Of course, some people will go as far as to ban video games to "protect" kids from this sort of thing, but most people know that video games don't directly cause aggressive behavior. The person is responsible for his own behavior.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:11:25 PM
Giratina

I'm an active video game player, and I've branched out in to all the genres. It's not the video games that have made me violent, just the other interactions I've had with other people. But Mario Party DOES set me in a rage.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:55:45 PM
Joltik

I do not think that video games cause aggressive behavior. Most animals become aggressive, and of course, they don't play video games. I think that it is part of nature to become aggressive. But, on the other hand, I believe video games do encourage more aggressiveness.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:22:20 PM
Pikachu

I never understood the connection between video game stimulation and the urge to take human lives, but that's just me. If there is scientific data to support the aforementioned accusation, who are we to say that that is wrong?

In my honest opinion, too much of anything can lead to a sense of delusion in which murder becomes a reality of that delusion. If you surround yourself with murder and mystery novels to a point where you begin to convince yourself that you too are a detective or murderer, I feel that that is an unhealthy obsession that causes delusional behavior.

Moderating video game time is fine. If you play GTA all the time, 24/7, of course you're not going to feel as bad when you run some old woman over with your car, take her money and speed away with a car you just usurped from some unlucky passerby.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:15:46 PM
Servine

I don't think that video games cause aggressive behavior, think of it this way when do you recall a "Pro" gamer going crazy and attacking someone... Well? i cant think of one.

The people who play video games 24/7 and attend tourney's aren't mass murdering psychos. In truth its the people who aren't gamer's that are more aggressive people may see someone attack someone else and think "hmm.. why did they do that.." then they think that because they own COD or MW e.g. that is the reason, this is not true as it could be the other way around they might be normally aggressive so that game might appeal to them.

Also not all video games are about killing things, so are you going to tell me that collecting groups of 3 or more gems leads to aggressive behavior?
Old May 6, 2012, 01:37:02 PM
Zoroark

oh god this has happend ¬.¬ video games dont do anything just entertaine us its not like im going around in a italion plummer costume trying to eat mushrooms or going on a plain or trying to bomb a plane.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:20:18 AM
Kyurem

I think if you play games like call of duty and you get mad enough to were you are losing really bad or a guy will keep killing you (in which you get ticked off) i think maybe there that will happen.