Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 2, 2012, 02:02:57 PM
Joltik

Default False Classification

Sooo...the other day I was listening to a group called Shinedown.
When I asked my ex roomate what he classified them as he said classic rock...I didn't agree but went along with it because it wasnt worht us fighting over.
I asked my ex best friend and he said clasic/retro rock...I didnt really agree with him on the classical aspect but the retro rock genre does seem to fit them really well.

I hate seeing/hearing music being classified wrongly especcially when its obvious the classification is wrong.(Shinedown is a hard group to classify because Brent can sing anything.)

What are your thoughts on the subject.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:00:24 PM
Mudkip

There's a point where trying to pedantically pinpoint the exact precise genre, using maybe 3 or 4 different descriptors, becomes silly. The point of genres is not to see how accurate you can get with obscure categorizations, it's a shortcut to describe what a band is like, when telling your friend about it and they haven't heard of it. If genres didn't exist, you'd be saying, "Check out this band, they make energetic melodic music with guitars, basses, drums, and singing", but thanks to genres you can just say that they're hard rock. But when you try to get really obsessive about every genre aspect, it's dumb and the point is lost. Semantics arguments? **** em.
Old July 29, 2012, 02:20:27 PM
Joltik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymp View Post
There's a point where trying to pedantically pinpoint the exact precise genre, using maybe 3 or 4 different descriptors, becomes silly. The point of genres is not to see how accurate you can get with obscure categorizations, it's a shortcut to describe what a band is like, when telling your friend about it and they haven't heard of it. If genres didn't exist, you'd be saying, "Check out this band, they make energetic melodic music with guitars, basses, drums, and singing", but thanks to genres you can just say that they're hard rock. But when you try to get really obsessive about every genre aspect, it's dumb and the point is lost. Semantics arguments? **** em.
Like Black Veil brides lead singer Andy Biersack said in an interview once
"There is really no such thing as sub-genres in music..."
That's probably not EXACTLY how he said it (It's been a while since i've seen the interview) but you get the point.
It's just annoying when people are like
"Oh this is SOOOO totaly an emo band"
Because one song is sad
or
"Or this is totaly a screamo band"
just because one song has a screamo feel to it